Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the report, and I’m pleasantly surprised.

I feel like we got answers to most of the questions we had, and a pretty solid understanding of how this all went down.

This was a killing spree, plain and simple. Fortunately, they didn’t get the chance to commit further murders.

The stupidity of believing they could hijack a ship and sail to Europe, speaks to how dumb this evil monsters really were.

No one will ever see the videos these two took, and they probably won’t achieve their goal of inspiring others.

They’ll be forgotten. What losers.

Me too. Good on the RCMP for that. They released whatever they had. I wasn't sure they would. I'm glad they told us what was on the videos. I agree we definitely didn't need to see them. They don't know any clear motive but we can pretty much piece it together. And even though there was no evidence of planning, it's clear to me that it was likely planned in in-person discussions between the two.

I feel like this case had like, a hold on my life, and I can move on from this now. I'm sure a lot of y'all feel the same way.

And yeah...just totally delusional, these two...no words.

I hope you're right on not inspiring others but I have doubts....

I've just heard snippets just now on the presser and can't post until later tonight....

I knew Kam was a psychopath! It's all just disturbing... And so messed up, really messed up.

Heartbroken (but again expected as it's always worse than we think) over the deaths/violence that fell upon on the victims.

I actually still don't think Kam was a psychopath. I think he was more of a Dylan Klebold type (except less self aware).

Me too. Good on the RCMP for that. They released whatever they had. I wasn't sure they would. I'm glad they told us what was on the videos. I agree we definitely didn't need to see them. They don't know any clear motive but we can pretty much piece it together. And even though there was no evidence of planning, it's clear to me that it was likely planned in in-person discussions between the two.

I feel like this case had like, a hold on my life, and I can move on from this now. I'm sure a lot of y'all feel the same way.

And yeah...just totally delusional, these two...no words.

I hope you're right on not inspiring others but I have doubts....
I’m optimistic this won’t inspire others, because there doesn’t seem to be any sort of ideological motive.

They didn’t appear to target people based on race, religion, or ethnicity. There isn’t a cause to get behind.

These guys apparently just wanted to kill.

The report said that the older gun had been put together with parts from several guns, that was why the parts numbers varied
"The second is an older style SKS with numerous serial numbers indicating parts from different weapons were put together over the years. Investigators were unable to identify where this older SKS weapon or parts originated from".
RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation
I don't know the gun laws in Canada, but in the past in Australia you could purchase individual parts if you had a gun license, so they could have purchased pieces and put one together possibly.
That's the thing, they usually only have one serial number, the rest of the numbers found are usually numbers for production purposes at the factory. Identifying where it came from shouldn't be a problem since every country that made them had a unique identifying mark somewhere on the receiver along with the serial number. Them not being able to teach the serial number could be due to a variety of reasons.

Here in the US, you can buy rifle parts too but none of them have a serial number. The only part that will have a serial number is the receiver which you have to pass a background check to buy.

I’m optimistic this won’t inspire others because there doesn’t seem to be any sort of ideological motive.

They didn’t appear to target people based on race, religion, or ethnicity. There isn’t a cause to get behind.

The RCMP said their behavioural experts believed it was ideologically motivated, hence keeping that part of it (and any related videos) from going public so as to not motivate others.

They just didn't put it exactly that way. They termed it "identification" behaviour, i.e. identifying with a group with an ideology. What that ideology is, we'll never know. And although that's all I've really ever wanted to know about this case, I'm also OK with not knowing if keeping it quiet prevents copycats, as the RCMP stated was their reason.

Last edited:
Wow.

Well, I've speculated often in these threads, though haven't posted in a while. Some of my speculations were dead wrong. I do see though that speculation by myself and others that the killers were having mechanical issues with the camper truck have been confirmed. I also continue to wonder that, had they not, and simply returned to Port Alberni, would the murders of L&C remain forever unsolved?

I also note that the Cold Lake stuck-in-the-mud sighting is not on the confirmed list. I always had issues with that sighting, but I did believe it happened, due to being reportedly a confirmed sighting by the RCMP. My current guess is that the RCMP may have believed it at first, though no longer.

The mind boggles at the "plan" to march to Hudson's Bay and hijack a boat to got to Europe or Africa.

I can only think that these two were about the dumbest criminals ever, as well as being narcissistic cold-blooded killers.

Another thing that stood out to me; the RCMP summary says that in one vid, "This video is 32 seconds long and Schmegelsky says they have shaved in preparation for their own death. They now plan to go back to kill more people and expect to be dead in a week;"

<modsnip: There is nothing to indicate this case is terrorist related.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised they made it to Whitehorse, I didn't think they did.

I am actually most surprised by this.

The report depicts them as a Dumb and Dumber type duo in gas station cowboy hats who purchased electrical tape to disguise a stolen vehicle, recorded a video unintentionally, took a pic with a finger across the lens and their grand plan was to escape by hijacking a boat to Europe or Africa.

Furthermore, the family stated they sent photos of their trip via texts and shared that they had vehicle troubles. Their last contact with family was on July 17, 2019.

I am doubtful of the vehicle troubles. I think it was said to buy time and keep them as possible victims. If they knew that the van of LF’s was broken it probably gave them the idea.
I was thinking that as we now know the old vehicle was owned by KM, he probably didn't have a lot of money for maintenance etc. They certainly could have had vehicle problems, driving an old truck, loaded with a full camper for such long stretches of time. It could have easily been overheating. Maybe the person who pulled over to offer help when they were on the side of the road with the hood up had a lucky escape. Maybe they were already having troubles with their vehicle, and had originally thought they could take LF's van, but when it didn't run, had to move on in their own vehicle. I can see them being stuck where their truck was burnt, with it broken down, stressing they were going to be caught and then going down the road at night and seeing LD asleep in his car, killing him, snatching a few belongings and burning their vehicle before taking off. - Or "hitchiking" and ambushing LD, forcing him to stop in the pullout and killing him. I now think BS was planning on suiciding in his suit, that's why he took it with him. They left their computers etc. burn because they had by then decided they wouldn't be needing them anymore. If their vehicle was hampering them, then taking LD's would have been possibly seen as more reliable, cheaper in fuel and seen as more practical to complete their murderous mission, I guess. Just some thoughts of course!

Last edited:
I knew they wanted to get to the Hudson Bay (the sea) and commandeer a boat, I get Europe, but Africa!? Unbelievable.. I'm just completely speechless the more and more I read. Also, what is that in "Scene 3" of the evidence photos? It appears to be a hip wader for fishing?

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/digitalAssets/68/68470_GPS-Locations-lg.jpg

Last edited:
I’m optimistic this won’t inspire others, because there doesn’t seem to be any sort of ideological motive.

Neither did the Columbine killers....

The RCMP said their behavioural experts believed it was ideologically motivated, hence keeping that part of it (and any related videos) from going public so as to not motivate others.

They just didn't put it exactly that way. They termed it "identification" behaviour, i.e. identifying with a group with an ideology. What that ideology is, we'll never know. And although that's all I've really ever wanted to know about this case, I'm also OK with not knowing if keeping it quiet prevents copycats, as the RCMP stated was their reason.

Yeah I think we can make an educated guess on that one.

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually most surprised by this.

The report depicts them as a Dumb and Dumber type duo in gas station cowboy hats who purchased electrical tape to disguise a stolen vehicle, recorded a video unintentionally, took a pic with a finger across the lens and their grand plan was to escape by hijacking a boat to Europe or Africa.
The "duct tape on the truck" and the cowboy hat ranks right up there, stupidity-wise, with believing that putting on a fake nose-and-glasses will totally save you from being recognized LOL.

This is how utterly stupid and impressionable these two were. Tragically stupid and perfectly ripe to follow someone else's idiotic and dangerous ideology.

It also does not look like they stopped killing because they ran out ammunition (something we speculated on here at WS).

From the report:
On July 29, 2019, police located several items belonging to the suspects in the Sundance area, including hundreds of rounds of ammunition from a number of scenes. This led investigators to focus on locating additional evidence within this area.

On August 1, 2019, McLeod’s backpack was located containing a full box of ammunition, McLeod’s wallet with his identification and clothing.

It's very fortunate that no one else was killed if they had this much ammunition. I had also previously thought the killing might've stopped because they ran out of ammo for the gun, and the gun was their method of murder. I'm back to wondering why the killing stopped then, there certainly would've been other opportunities during their road trip across 4 provinces... and they were already planning on a potential suicide, so they wouldn't have much else to lose by committing more murders.

Whatever the reason they stopped at the third victim in BC, it's extremely fortunate that no one else was hurt. They had the potential, time and ammo to kill a lot more people

Alexis Daish‏Verified account @LexiDaish
The police report contains a frightening account from a witness who pulled over to take a nap on the Alaska Highway and saw a man - believed to be one of the teen fugitives - coming towards his car holding a long gun and in a ‘hunting stance’.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

EFgIH97WwAASM1f.jpg

2:48 PM - 27 Sep 2019

The primary investigator in the triple homicide investigation says they still haven’t been able to determine a motive for the killings. The theory is that Kam and Bryer came across Australia Lucas Fowler and his gf Chynna Deese for unknown reasons.@9NewsAUS

2:36 PM - 27 Sep 2019 from Surrey, British Columbia

BREAKING: Canadian police release details of six videos Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky recorded confessing to the roadside murders, and wanting to kill more people.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

EFgGFccWsAIzCWq.jpg

2:34 PM - 27 Sep 2019

In an unusual move for Canadian police, reporters are in a lock-up at RCMP HQ in British Columbia for a technical briefing on the triple murder case before the press conference begins. I'm told we'll get a copy of the case findings report.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

12:58 PM - 27 Sep 2019

1f1e8-1f1e6.png
Today we’re in British Columbia where police will be revealing their findings on teen fugitives Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky who murdered Sydney man Lucas Fowler, his American gf and a Vancouver professor on the side of a Canadian highway.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

EFfnT9JWkAAkSaW.jpg

12:19 PM - 27 Sep 2019 from Surrey, British Columbia

The "duct tape on the truck" and the cowboy hat ranks right up there, stupidity-wise, with believing that putting on a fake nose-and-glasses will totally save you from being recognized LOL.

This is how utterly stupid and impressionable these two were. Tragically stupid and perfectly ripe to follow someone else's idiotic and dangerous ideology.

I guess my husband was right. When I first told him about this case he said "Sounds like they were as dumb as the Making a Murderer guys."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WickedDreamer83