Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM was DS's maternal grandparents neighbour for over 30 years so she was known to him. Also with the town's being so small everyone is probably known to everyone else.

Sorry I don't recall if there was any connection to DS and HM. Was she known to him or was she just random? The court has ruled there will be no PH for this case, it's heading straight to trial. I've been following the Tim Bosma case where the same ruling happened, no PH. IMO they may as well have had a PH in Tim's case. Over four months dedicated to this trial, 60 days out of those four month...half of the time was spent in legal arguments so what's the difference kwim? Perhaps it does shave some time off the whole proceedings but... Obviously the AG believes the evidence is strong enough for a conviction to bypass the PH. Justice cannot come soon enough.
ALL MOO.

Why another year?!

Welcome to Canada.

I personally know someone currently awaiting trial for first degree murder. The crime took place over 18 months ago, pre trial hearing happened last month, trial not until late spring 2017. Seems to be the way our justice system works unfortunately. There are several cases I've been following for over 2 years that still haven't had their trials yet. It's very frustrating. I can't imagine how the families must feel. 3 years later and the Bosma's have just finally seen justice served.

A judge in Lethbridge has set the trial's start date for May 8, 2017...

Edmonton lawyer Patrick Edgerton, who was acting on behalf of Saretzky's lawyer Peter Northcott, told reporters the decision was to proceed with a single trial since the Crown decided to proceed with direct indictment.

"It's a matter I guess of court efficiency and not breaking it up into two separate trials. There's a lot of matters that overlap between the two and so it saves court time to do that and just makes it a little easier to manage."

Edgerton said at this point the case will be heard before a jury but that could change as the trial gets closer.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-jury-trial-may-2017-1.3633097

Why another year?!

Courts are backlogged. I think Courts in Alberta are worse than other provinces too. They've been neglecting to appoint judges to fill some vacancies, I believe. It's been in the news, people are waiting ages to go to trial here. He's lucky it isn't longer...

One year ago today.

We will get answers and justice will be served.

My heart goes out to Cheyenne, Amanda, and the rest of the Dunbar and Blanchette families today. I have thought about Terry and Hailey each and every day for the past year. They have touched us all and will not be forgotten. :(

Trial should start tomorrow. Is there a new thread?

I'm a Lethbridge resident so will try to post any news I find.

Publication ban on the Voir Dire proceedings. I'm guessing, like the Garland murders, there is some awful, unspeakable things that he did.

I'm surprised they are having a single trial for all 3 murders. I would've thought the elderly woman's murder would be a separate trial.

I won't be going. The Bosma and Garland trials were traumatic to follow. We moved here the day Hailey was reported missing.

Mods, any chance of a trial thread for this case?

Please and thank you.

I really wish Canadians would have live court. Le Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods, any chance of a trial thread for this case?

Please and thank you.

Thats why I couldnt find the thread !

*Warning graphic* https://twitter.com/CBCMeg

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
CROWN: While searching #Saretzky apartment for Hailey, investigators found what appeared to be blood on door, floor, wall, bathroom

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 4m4 minutes ago
Crown says Blanchette's neighbour told police he heard a child cry outside between 3:20 - 3:30 am in the hours before body found #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 8m8 minutes ago
Crown says blood found all over van including a large smear in back with two barefoot prints in it #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 19m19 minutes ago
In photo of outside Blanchette's home, yellow flags dot the yard and mark where police found blood stains #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 20m20 minutes ago
Blood also found in Hailey's bedroom on blanket, doll and door #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 21m21 minutes ago
There's a blanket on top of him, photo of bloody dragmarks from bedroom being shown #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 22m22 minutes ago
Jurors just shown photo of Terry Blanchette's bloody dead body laying in bathroom, head by toilet, throat slit #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 30m30 minutes ago
STORY: Derek #Saretzky triple-murder trial to hear recorded confessions and grisly details: Crown http://cbc.ca/1.4149524 via @CBCFletch

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 58m58 minutes ago
Morning break now before Crown's first witness in #Saretzky trial

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 1h1 hour ago
Papadatou: I'm hoping to have finished the Crown's case Thursday June 22 #Saretzky

Papadatou says one officer seized a list from accused's home with the name "Terry" crossed off #Saretzky

Replying to @CBCMeg
"[He's] a person of great integrity. He came forward and told the truth...regardless of the consequences to his family," Papadatou #Saretzky

Papadatou: #Saretzky father to testify next week

Tomorrow's witnesses: RCMP investigator, RCMP blood spatter analyst & medical examiner all regarding Hanne Meketech killing #Saretzky

Today's witnesses: Neighbour who found Hanne Meketech's body, first police officer on scene at Hanne's home + paramedic #Saretzky

Papadatou: Warns jurors of graphic photos that they'll have to view during #Saretzky trial

Papadatou: There will be 31-32 witnesses & 38 exhibits #Saretzky

Papadatou: Eventually #Saretzky also confessed to killing Hanne Meketech
"He provided details to the police that only the killer would know"

Papadatou: #Saretzky admitted to killing Terry & Hailey and "doing things to her remains that I will let you hear from the accused's mouth"

Papadatou: Everything was happening quickly. #Saretzky moves from person of interest to suspect. He's interviewed. He confesses

Papadatou: #Saretzky relatives "are good and decent people, you will hear from some of them." They helped put Derek on police radar

Papadatou: Amber Alert activated. #Saretzky family came forward to tell authorities they had white vans similar to what police looking for

Papadatou: Can't do anything about 2 deaths but still missing girl but "No effort was spared" ..100+ officers looking for Hailey #Saretzky

Papadatou: When investigator saw second scene he thought "there's something an awful lot alike about these two scenes" #Saretzky

Papadatou: Next investigation began after Terry Blanchette's dad found him dead in his home. Terry's 2 y/o daughter was missing #Saretzky

Papadatou: 2 investigations. 1st was into death of Hanne Meketech, 69, whose body had been found on Sept. 9, 2015, in her home #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 2h2 hours ago
Crown prosecutor Photini Papadatou to give opening statement now #Saretzky

Tilleman: Addressing jurors mental health and services available #Saretzky

Tilleman: "Media has very important role to play," judge tells jurors of reason reporters fill much of courtroom #Saretzky

All jury discussions are secret, says Tilleman. You shoudl feel confidant what happens in the jury room will always be private. #Saretzky

Justice Tilleman (pictured) reminds jurors all people charged criminally are presumed innocent #Saretzky

Tilleman: You must avoid all media coverage on this case. Do not do your own research #Saretzky

Tilleman: What you hear outside the courtroom ... is not evidence #Saretzky

Justice William Tilleman's opening instructions begin now: Decide this case solely on the evidence. You are the sole judges of the facts.

Derek #Saretzky says "not guilty" to all 3 charges of 1st-degree murder + indignity to a body (

This is really horrific. Why did he have to do this. My heart breaks that Terry's father found his son like that. The sheer panic he must have felt when he realized his grand daughter was gone. I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member