Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with all of this. Remember when we discussed wondering about how this trip came to be - one that would end on Mother's Day as opposed to the day before? Lots of speculation. Who suggested it?
M1 was definitely close to her father and from what we've seen in texts (which I wholeheartedly believe), Barry brought the kids into arguments in order to persuade their loyalty to him - as sick as that is - for a very long time.
M2 lived there and saw for herself what was going on while M1 was in college. I really feel for her. She's caught between a rock and a hard place - literally. Suzanne herself said how the abuse accelerated after the move and I believe she regretted the decision to acquiesce very soon after. I believe every word we've heard from SO and Suzanne's sister. They have no reason to want to put an innocent man in jail.
I think M2 got a huge taste of what normal looks like from her boyfriend's parents. Barry blaming both he and his father for telling the truth? Classic narcissism. How DARE they tell the truth!
I pray Barry is convicted. Maybe then and only then will M2 begin to heal and be able to have healthy relationships again.

eta: IMO

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Barry set the trip up, could have even made reservations or helped them line it up. He wanted Mother's Day alone and could have talked them into a weekend get away. Just a thought...

Why does he have his hands in his pockets so much?

He had his hands in his pockets a lot on the police body cam footage also?

(I asked my DH his opinion on this and I'll just say that I don't dare repeat here his answer). ;)
I'll say it, did he suggest pocket pool?
I worked as a sec'y during high school and my boss would have his hand in his pocket when I entered his office. I found it curious and for some reason, brought it up to my Mom in conversation. She smirked and told me the same thing - hadn't heard of it before - but it seems like that's an actual thing, lol!
Or, maybe he's self-soothing?

Why does he have his hands in his pockets so much?

He had his hands in his pockets a lot on the police body cam footage also?

(I asked my DH his opinion on this and I'll just say that I don't dare repeat here his answer). ;)

Body Language of Hands In Pockets - Nonverbal Body Language Dictionary
Meaning and/or Motivation: A comfort and informal position, but also one that reveals insecurity and a lack of confidence and in more extreme cases even secretiveness as if a person has something to hide.

It is a convenient place to put hands that might otherwise need to find purpose when in awkward situations. Hiding the hands generally is seen as dishonest because the hands carry so much information. For example, the palms of the hands are flashed at a distance, a wave, to prove to others that we carry no weapon. At least this is its theorized origin. Hands that are shaking with fear or sweating from nervousness are often stuffed into pockets to be hidden from critical eyes.

Thus, when hands are jammed into pockets we subconsciously fear and worry that they might be carry something that might harm us. One thing is for certain, if we get pulled over by the police, the last place you should put your hands is in the pockets – keep them high where they can be seen!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Barry set the trip up, could have even made reservations or helped them line it up. He wanted Mother's Day alone and could have talked them into a weekend get away. Just a thought...
Exactly what I thought. Maybe he didn't even tell M2 but said to M1, hey - M2 is having a rough time, why don't the two of you take a couple of friends on a little trip. Maybe.

MOO IMO

SM’s RR - Involvement

A member on another forum did a great job transcribing LS’s recap of the 2/1/22 court proceedings. Among the notes was the following extract (BBM) where SM’s RR was mentioned in what seems to be via email communication between Rogers (a CBI DNA analyst) and Det Cahill:

Communications log: Rogers from CBI conversation with Cahill about the DNA on the glove box swab #27.1 “The DNA was left by a potential perpetrator of the crime.” Rogers also believes that Suzanne’s Range Rover was involved in criminal activity.

If we don’t factor in the non-familial DNA found in the vehicle, I wonder if this alludes to criminal transporting activity?

This sentence stood out to me and makes me wonder why Rogers believes the RR was involved in criminal activity. I hope it is elaborated upon during trial.

MOO IMO

SM’s RR - Involvement

A member on another forum did a great job transcribing LS’s recap of the 2/1/22 court proceedings. Among the notes was the following extract (BBM) where SM’s RR was mentioned in what seems to be via email communication between Rogers (a CBI DNA analyst) and Det Cahill:

Communications log: Rogers from CBI conversation with Cahill about the DNA on the glove box swab #27.1 “The DNA was left by a potential perpetrator of the crime.” Rogers also believes that Suzanne’s Range Rover was involved in criminal activity.

If we don’t factor in the non-familial DNA found in the vehicle, I wonder if this alludes to criminal transporting activity?

This sentence stood out to me and makes me wonder why Rogers believes the RR was involved in criminal activity. I hope it is elaborated upon during trial.
I've always wondered if LE asked those close to BM if they'd volunteer a dna sample. Barry himself suggested it might be someone very close to her. Maybe one of his friends? GD (he's the 40 tours rambo, right?) , perhaps?

MOO IMO

SM’s RR - Involvement

This sentence stood out to me and makes me wonder why Rogers believes the RR was involved in criminal activity. I hope it is elaborated upon during trial.[/QUOTE

I forgot about that! From the November 9, 2021 hearing.
Only tweets I can find right now.
Weird they would drop a bomb like that and no more mentions.

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1458204296785317890?s=21
Caitlin Rogers with CBI is now on stand.

She is a DNA analyst for the bureau. She has been the primary analyst on the case for biological sciences. She has authored 9 reports in the case. @KKTV11News #BarryMorphew #SuzanneMorphew

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1458207509014093826?s=21
Rogers is discussing reports she authored and when they went out to people in CBI as they were working to identify DNA. @KKTV11News #BarryMorphew #

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1458208955381993472?s=21
Rogers says she tested DNA found in #SuzanneMorphew car and listed it as "foreign" and that she believed the car to be connected to the incident and left from the perpetrator of the crime. @KKTV11News #BarryMorphew

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1458214202586374154?s=21
Judge Murphy says he's a bit lost in what the argument is that defense attorneys are trying to get across here. Prosecutors say they're not sure why they're here for this hearing.
Defense says they're trying to prove there was withholding of exculpatory evidence. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1458214664429527045?s=21
Judge says the prosecution didn't really present much evidence during the preliminary hearing to show what the DNA match meant which he says helped him decide that there wasn't enough evidence to continue to keep #BarryMorphew without bond. @KKTV11News

Iris Eytan trying to explain why there are witnesses here to testify about meetings between prosecutors and CBI that defense attorneys were not made aware of. She says Agent Cahill with CBI lied about his knowledge of the DNA evidence in the case. @KKTV11News #BarryMorpehw

MOO IMO

SM’s RR - Involvement

I just think this is explaining what she believed at the time.

She works in a lab and is not an investigator. She's given evidence to test and tested the vehicle with the belief that it was involved in this crime.

She's not saying that the results of those tests tell her that the vehicle was involved, or that she thinks investigators are wrong.

That's beyond her purview.

I just think this is explaining what she believed at the time.

She works in a lab and is not an investigator. She's given evidence to test and tested the vehicle with the belief that it was involved in this crime.

She's not saying that the results of those tests tell her that the vehicle was involved, or that she thinks investigators are wrong.

That's beyond her purview.
I agree. She’s no expert and this was just leading up to what reports and emails were sent to Cahill.

There was an interview by BM with either LS or the Denver reporter where BM brought out the love notes, greeting cards, and I recall BM talking about the girls travel over MDW and his reason for supporting their road trip where he said or was quoted saying something to the effect how they'd been "holed up" because of COVID and he believed it was good for them to get out.

I recall thinking at that moment that it made no sense to me to leave the gorgeous outdoors of Colorado if the intent was "camping." It's also fact that Church's were restricted from assembling (virtual services only) and if you believe this camp was an actual Church retreat allowed to take place, I have a bridge to sell! And never mind the fact that Idaho was still restricting border access for non-essential travel during that period. (Idaho was the destination at the time). MOO

I've always wondered if LE asked those close to BM if they'd volunteer a dna sample. Barry himself suggested it might be someone very close to her. Maybe one of his friends? GD (he's the 40 tours rambo, right?) , perhaps?
In August 2020 when BM spoke to the Media for the first time, he reportedly said the following:

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado
During a 25-minute conversation that took place Tuesday, Barry theorized over what may have happened to his wife. He mentioned the possibility of an animal attack, an accident, perhaps, with someone on the road, or even, he said, a run-in with someone who knows her well.

We know from the AA that he tried to point fingers at SM’s siblings, a former employee of his, and the CBD vendor.

Im not sure who all would have been asked for DNA but the AA shows that brother AM and other family provided a buccal swab to them.

Yes, GD is the 400 tours buddy. Not sure if they would have asked for DNA from him ( although he is on body cam footage touching the bike ).
I bet he would definitely want a court order if so. JMO

Attachments

• 6BC6F419-BB76-4122-AC8F-00C9DD79AABB.jpeg
    6BC6F419-BB76-4122-AC8F-00C9DD79AABB.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 14
IIRC, the Frazee trial reporters were running to the parking lot and the front sidewalk area to send out texts. Am I remembering correctly? I thought there were many pictures of reporters out front of the courthouse, making little videos to tweet out during the breaks.
Frazee order defining excluded media reporting/filming:

View attachment 333231

See the Order above. The court excluded the grounds, alleyways, and parking area on the north side of the courthouse property. Reporters literally had to cross the street. But it worked and PF was convicted without a breach of the rules imposed.

In August 2020 when BM spoke to the Media for the first time, he reportedly said the following:

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado
During a 25-minute conversation that took place Tuesday, Barry theorized over what may have happened to his wife. He mentioned the possibility of an animal attack, an accident, perhaps, with someone on the road, or even, he said, a run-in with someone who knows her well.

We know from the AA that he tried to point fingers at SM’s siblings, a former employee of his, and the CBD vendor.

Im not sure who all would have been asked for DNA but the AA shows that brother AM and other family provided a buccal swab to them.

Yes, GD is the 400 tours buddy. Not sure if they would have asked for DNA from him ( although he is on body cam footage touching the bike ).
I bet he would definitely want a court order if so. JMO
Thanks. I saw how the LE officer had to ask them to stop touching the bike. It was messed up that they didn't have it protected. We only have Barry's word for Rambo's supposed service. I was expecting someone more Stallone-esque.
If LE asked her family to submit a sample, they may have asked those close to Barry. Would love the answer to that.

Perhaps some of you know how murderers act in cleaning up a crime scene--from following previous cases, of course, not from personal experience ;-) . How do they keep track of all the things that need to be done? Do they write out lists? Do they record a memo on their phone? Do they frenetically retrace all their movements checking for evidence? It just seems incredibly hard to erase everything. But then, maybe erasing 90% of it is enough as it leaves such a mishmash of clues that LE can't really piece things together.
Down here in Australia, Matthew de Gruchy made a "to do" list.

If this is true and he was supposed to go at noon, I'd question what the rush to get home was? To look for a week old dead turkey? So urgent that he was 90 minutes late to do a work thing? That could go badly for the defense as well. Something was so important in the woods he was late for a scheduled appt. Did you text that while he was out wandering? Oh and he lied to LE about that turkey expedition at first claiming he was having lunch and sun bathing. For a man so set on is work, seems odd he's need to be late for an appt especially when he was down close to that shop already working when he suddenly need to go home and look for a dead turkey, just to turn around and drive the 15 minutes back to get that blade replaced.

As noted in my OP, I was citing from memory but after looking at the timeline in the MEDIA thread, I was off about the time BM rescheduled the blade on the bobcat replaced. Nonetheless, I think it would have been reasonable if BM was leaving work around 11 AM that he'd initially plan to stop by DSi around noon before heading to PP.

We know that BM sent MG home from the river house/beach project around 11 AM -- citing he was going to have recreation time with SM. Evidence shows BM did not go to DSi but instead stopped at Tailwinds (Poncha Springs).

I think somewhere between Tailwinds and arriving PP, BM decided soup could wait because he first wanted to hike down to the river behind his house to retrieve his game webcams. There was never a Turkey. I believe after BM stored the cameras in the garage, he went inside, had some soup, a few words with SM, and left again headed to DSi for the blade change at 2 pm.

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Text messages:
9:50am BM: Wanna go on a hike?
9:52am SM: where? (no response). Later on, asking about summer tires on range rover?
10:36am SM: Wanna meet to hike? 12 minutes later at
10:48am BM: No, coming home.
SM: Get Hot tub stuff.

He went to Tail winds property around 11am then went home around 11:30am to eat veggie soup with Suzanne.

At 11:50am-12:50am, Morphew's phone is pinged near the river behind his home. Investigators asked why this was, his response was, "I was looking for a turkey that MM had shot some time ago."

Morphew allegedly left [PP] around 1:30pm makes a few calls checks out a job at Kim Gyms in Salida.

At 1:42pm
Suzanne's last "proof of life" was a photo she sent to her lover on LinkedIn, according to FBI agent. She was out sunbathing. Shortly before she had messaged him saying “Guess who’s alone again??”

At 1:55pm door opens at DSI (Diesslin Structures, Inc.) in Salida & there is surveillance video as well.
At 2pm Morphew was getting his blade replaced on his bobcat.

At 2:03pm while Morphew was away Suzanne was sending LinkedIn messages to Jeff Libler. Investigators showed a picture Suzanne sent to Jeff to Barry, he said she "looked drunk" & she had "drunk eyes" Grusing says it's the last 'proof of life' for Suzanne.

At 2:11pm
Suzanne told JL to get on What's Up App. She messaged him on LinkedIn. Exhibit #59: The photo is shown in the courtroom, Suzanne smiling.
Truck GPS coordinates show Barry's truck goes into park at 2:43:59.
Phone coordinates show he walks around the house. You can hear a pin drop in the courtroom as tension is high. Agent Grusing asked what he was doing outside. Morphew responded, "I shoot chipmunks. I have shot 85 chipmunks."

Then returned home around 2:44pm as she was sunbathing & sending photos of herself to her lover, Jeff Libler.

At 2:47pm
, BM's phone goes into airplane mode. Suzanne's phone is getting messages from her lover, Libler asking about the weather. meanwhile, BM says he was moving around the house shooting chipmunks.

Last edited:
Chaffee County Fire Protection District
5. Mai 2020 ·

This is the structure our firefighters saved yesterday on the Mile Marker 207 Fire on Monarch Pass. It's an historic cabin in the townsite of Arbourville on private land west of Fooses Creek. Strong work!!!

-.-.-
There seems to be some important overlapping of the exact time, a fire call re the historic cabin went in on May 4th and the time, BM called SM for 3 seconds with a device, that had no contact to Suzanne since February 2020 (vaguely explained).
I think, the great sleuthers here will find out. I myself have no talent for it, sorry, but I find it interesting.

I understand why the judge ruled the way he did. I understand the defense will try to get as much thrown out as possible. I also understand why Suzanne wouldn't tell SO about the affair. I think not telling someone something is very different than telling them a lie. There is plenty I don't share with my friends, but that doesn't mean what I do tell them is a lie because I didn't tell them every single thing. We have no evidence that says Suzanne told any lies or said things that later turned out to not be true. We do have evidence that shows a pattern of lies Barry told. The defense will do anything to distract from that because they don't have an explanation for it other than he was covering up a crime.
Thank you. IMO, SM will be present in spirit during jury selection -- a very significant decision in this process and one that will determine BM's fate.
And may her light shine fiercely into the hearts of the jurors so that they recognize the truth.

Here's the update docket.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
2/24/22
9:00 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

3/4/22
9:30 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

4/7/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Hearing D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

4/8/22
8:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Pre-Trial Readiness Conference D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

4/29/22
8:00 AM 1D MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1
4/29/22
9:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

5/3/22
8:00 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

thru

6/3/22
8:00 AM 1D IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Jury Trial D222022CR47 Fremont County Division 1

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

A few random thoughts off the back of Everyone’s amazing posts tonight...
The Girls calls
1. Could Barry have purchased a VPN to go on the Dark Web in search of a Mobile Phone Hacker? I went down a whole rabbit hole on Quora looking for answers about phone towers pinging after reading that BM called MM immediately after she’d tried unsuccessfully to reach Suzanne. My first thought was Barry knew because he still had Suzannes phone with him! But I am not technologically savvy enough to work out whether he may have removed her SIM only (even putting it into HIS phone?) to monitor her calls / texts on Mother’s Day. I’m going to be doing a lot more reading on that over the weekend unless someone knows the answer?
In the midst of the reading I was doing a wise guy had posted an advertisement for their services as a phone hacker among the answers. I’d never seen that service advertised ANYWHERE on the net. Got me to thinking.

The movement of Suzanne’s body
2. Would an all terrain vehicle fit into the jaws of a Bobcat? And then would same vehicle fit into a hot tub filled with chlorine?

I don’t ever recall seeing a picture of BMs all Terrain Vehicle but have seen it mentioned many times. Did he sell that too or did that move with him out of PP?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions! You all are so wonderful continuing to be here for Suzanne. May justice come in June...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum