Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She definitely thought something dodgy was going on, thinking about her text to SO which I think mentioned silver.

She wasn’t daft, and I suspect this was another factor in his motive.

And if he thinks she's leaving him for another man, she may know TOO much about his shady activities for comfort. "I'll keep doing your books". So add that to the motive pile.

I would imagine that MM2’s image of her mother has been shattered by the affair. She may never have thought of her mother as a sexual being with needs-do most children? I think my kids would feel betrayed on some level if they found out I was having an affair. Even if their other parent was a jerk, they would still judge me.

Who is MM2’s support system? It appears that she was very intertwined with the H family. MM1 was supported by them as well, when Suzanne went missing. Now the H family is gone from MM2’s life. She is left with her sister, her Dad, and her Dad’s family. Who does she go to with any doubts?
I hope the Moormans are still reaching out to the girls every so often just to let them know that the lines of communication remain open. Barry has likely done everything he can to turn his daughters against the family. The girls may not be responsive now but they’ll certainly need love and support when Barry is convicted.

She definitely thought something dodgy was going on, thinking about her text to SO which I think mentioned silver.

She wasn’t daft, and I suspect this was another factor in his motive.
Or she just was risk adverse with investments in general or didn't "like" commodities or speculative investing. Might be nothing dodgy about it...she just didn't like him dabbling like that. Different investment risk tolerances are not unusual in couples.

Wow, according to the article, it seems one persistent volunteer’s search efforts may have found Susan Powell! Amazing if it’s confirmed to be her remains.

One interesting takeaway is that the article states it is believed her husband initially dropped her down the mineshaft and then lit her body on fire. He would later return and drop more debris on top of the body to further conceal her remains.

I wonder if volunteer firefighter BM took a note of this fire-lighting action and applied it to the disappearance of his own wife? There are already several mimicked actions he took from other murderer’s playbook.

I have often thought of Susan when discussing SM. The camping trip, the dumpster, burning evidence, the possible mineshaft grave. A lot of similarities to me.

Or she just was risk adverse with investments in general or didn't "like" commodities or speculative investing. Might be nothing dodgy about it...she just didn't like him dabbling like that. Different investment risk tolerances are not unusual in couples.
I don’t think I read anything to suggest risk averse, or rule it out for that matter.

The context of the silver comment however was a text conversation with SO, where SO was asking how Suzanne might finance her new life. Suzanne mentioned her sister had had her inheritance to help her and when SO asks what’s happening with Suzanne’s inheritance, she replies that Barry had said he would give it back but hadn’t. Although he was holding on to the silver for some reason she couldn’t fathom, unless he was supporting someone else.

I’m paraphrasing, but that was the gist.

I hope the Moormans are still reaching out to the girls every so often just to let them know that the lines of communication remain open. Barry has likely done everything he can to turn his daughters against the family. The girls may not be responsive now but they’ll certainly need love and support when Barry is convicted.

If I could send a message to Suzanne’s family I would commend them for waiting patiently for her daughters!

Being married to a narcissist is a psychological nightmare. It takes years to recover. Suzanne didn’t get that chance and her daughters have the misfortune of being brainwashed by Barry their entire lives. It may not have been apparent at first but I can guarantee it was happening. Children are easy prey and narcissists thrive on collecting worshipers.

At some point, these girls will be devastated by the realization that their daddy, whom they love and trust, shattered their hearts with the carefully calculated murder of Suzanne. I pray that they will receive God’s comfort through Suzanne’s family and close friends, who will welcome them back with open arms and compassionate hearts.

What had he done, if Suzanne had agreed to his proposal at 9:50am for hiking? The 2pm meeting for repair had never been kept or ...... what?

If BM was sincere about the invite (which I don't think he was), he probably would have kept the earlier appointment to have the bobcat blade replaced instead of postponing for 2 PM (Prelim defense exhibit call to Crib). IMO, the invite was probably more alibi building.

I think the 9:59 AM text was likely his first contact with SM on Saturday, testing the waters as to whether SM was up, her reaction to spending time with him (he'd been love bombing SM since Weds). Within 2 minutes, SM responded "Where?" and BM never replied. More than 90 minutes later at 10:36 AM, SM offered to meet BM to hike. About 12 minutes later, he replied "No," and that he was coming home.

From the evidence, it doesn't appear that BM arrived home to continue discussing recreation with SM, instead, he spent about an hour behind the house near the river -- allegedly looking for MM1's turkey but was more likely collecting his game webcams.

Does that sound like a man who was sincere about any recreation with SM? Nope. IMO, I'd say it's a good example of typical Jekyll and Hyde behavior employed by narcs where the recipient is left questioning if the earlier communication really occurred. MOO

If I could send a message to Suzanne’s family I would commend them for waiting patiently for her daughters!

Being married to a narcissist is a psychological nightmare. It takes years to recover. Suzanne didn’t get that chance and her daughters have the misfortune of being brainwashed by Barry their entire lives. It may not have been apparent at first but I can guarantee it was happening. Children are easy prey and narcissists thrive on collecting worshipers.

At some point, these girls will be devastated by the realization that their daddy, whom they love and trust, shattered their hearts with the carefully calculated murder of Suzanne. I pray that they will receive God’s comfort through Suzanne’s family and close friends, who will welcome them back with open arms and compassionate hearts.
Great post! I do hope that SM’s family can find their way to be present at the trial. Even in death that would matter to me that my family was there to bear witness. They don’t need to force interaction with anyone including their nieces, or create undue drama. Just be present. Imo

I can see how a young person faced with such an overwhelming dilemma may well choose the path of least resistance.

For one thing, practicalities usually come into play for most unhappy domestic situations. Anyone who says “but why didn’t the person just leave?” irritates me. Unless the person is totally financially independent, for one thing there is often nowhere to go other than a charity refuge or a temporary sofa. That reality can be a persuasive argument that things aren’t quite so bad and can be tolerated.

Added to this case, we’re talking about a person who hasn’t grown into adulthood yet let alone having independence of any kind, plus she very probably loves her father and wants to believe the best.

I do wish the trio presented a less joyful tableau entering the court but I was taken by something Lauren said in her summary video of the hearing before last. She said MM2 at one point broke down in tears and was inconsolable, which I think was telling. She’s probably keeping deep feelings buried, but now and then they may out. One day I believe the scales will fall and she will need to confront the truth emotionally.

Ofc Lauren also said that Barry had a similar episode and his lawyer made a show of comforting him. I suspect the motive behind that boo hoo show was very different.

All JMO.
I recall LS describing MM2 in court as appearing the odd woman out while BM and MM1 were lost in their own world, and BM passing MM1 "I love you" note!

If he took her car to the spa store to get the chemicals that could explain why they are in her floorboard. If her car moved at all after he returned then I think it's safe to say it was Barry and he never acknowledged in any of those interviews that Suzanne left the house the rest of the evening. Then again it could be her doors opening and closing at the same odd hours is truck was opening and closing. Maybe the trunk opened and he took the bike out.. remember he said she asked me to take her bike out of the car and I did.. that was on Saturday. If her trunk didn't open until lets say 330am when he was about to go stage her bike.. HUGE

I refer you to Agent Grusing:

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Agent Graham’s interview of Janelle Nebal at Salida Stove and Spa who said that Barry came to Salida stove and spa sometime between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm on May 9th?

A (Grusing): I did not.

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider the interview that D.A. Investigator ?ren did of Janelle Nebal of Salida stove and spa where she gave the same information?

A (Grusing): I did not because it would conflict with the telematics.

Q (Nielsen): How does it conflict with the telematics?

A (Grusing): At 4:44 his vehicle is at the residence.

Q (Nielsen): That’s right. Is that between 4:00 and 5:30?

A (Grusing): Yes.

Q (Nielsen): But it doesn’t tell you where the car was at 4:00.

A (Grusing): Correct.

Q (Nielsen): At 5:00?

A (Grusing): No.

Q (Nielsen): At 5:30?

Q (Nielsen): And we know that the telematics doesn’t capture all the events, correct?

A (Grusing): Right.

Q (Nielsen): And we know the location of the truck changed between 2:43 and 4:44 pm.

A (Grusing): Yes, and Barry was interviewed approximately 30 times.

Q (Nielsen): Did I ask you that question, sir?

MR. LINDSEY: Judge, objection. That’s argumentative.

MS. NIELSEN: I believe he’s being argumentative.

THE COURT: Well I think she didn’t ask you that particular question and you’re going to get an opportunity to redirect.

BY MS NIELSEN:

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Ms. Nebal’s statement to Agent Graham that when Barry Morphew came to Salida Stove and Spa on May 9th between 4:00 and 5:30 pm that there was nothing unusual about his demeanor?

A (Grusing): No I did not.

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Agent Graham’s conversation with Ms. Nebal’s son Colton Nebal?

I also want to point you to these two surveillance photos of Barry heading back to PP from DSI.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_87.png
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_88.png

The People’s Exhibits – Find Suzanne Morphew

Now, I'm going to ask you a question. If LE sat there and watched these cameras for Barry to drive by when he was supposed to be headed home from DSI, don't you think they checked for all three available vehicles when a witness placed Barry at Salida Stove and Spa? It's a lot faster than waiting on the reports.

I'd be willing to bet that you are correct and the only thing that turns up on Suzanne's RR data is Barry getting the bike and helmet out around 3:45 am on the 10th.

I'm disappointed that we don't have sufficient information to compare redacted information in the AA with the latest defense exhibits where it was clear that phones belonging to the daughters were associated with BM, car play application, and his F-350.

Specific to an account linked to MM1, I believe not her iPhone but her App store/iTunes User Ident was linked to BM and his F-350. I think the purchase of the VPN with MM1's credit card might be explained if we could connect some of the dots -- including identifying the unknown 2nd device. MOO

Yeah, the phone data the defense submitted it a train wreck of associations. I got annoyed with it pretty quickly which was E&N's intention.

Probably going about his day to day business. I don't think he plays a role. He was the first family member to speak, started the fundraiser for the family and given his business may have shot the original plea video, and was most likely part of the early family searches. He got alot of attention and there were people stalking the family and speculating but they pretty quickly fell off as interest turned elsewhere. If I were making lists he might be on the defense witness list so could get cross examined by prosecution but I doubt he's on the prosecution list.
Actually, TN, along with other family members, made the 500+- witness list by the prosecution. We've not seen the defense list...

I refer you to Agent Grusing:

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Agent Graham’s interview of Janelle Nebal at Salida Stove and Spa who said that Barry came to Salida stove and spa sometime between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm on May 9th?

A (Grusing): I did not.

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider the interview that D.A. Investigator ?ren did of Janelle Nebal of Salida stove and spa where she gave the same information?

A (Grusing): I did not because it would conflict with the telematics.

Q (Nielsen): How does it conflict with the telematics?

A (Grusing): At 4:44 his vehicle is at the residence.

Q (Nielsen): That’s right. Is that between 4:00 and 5:30?

A (Grusing): Yes.

Q (Nielsen): But it doesn’t tell you where the car was at 4:00.

Q (Nielsen): At 5:00?

Q (Nielsen): At 5:30?

Q (Nielsen): And we know that the telematics doesn’t capture all the events, correct?

A (Grusing): Right.

Q (Nielsen): And we know the location of the truck changed between 2:43 and 4:44 pm.

A (Grusing): Yes, and Barry was interviewed approximately 30 times.

Q (Nielsen): Did I ask you that question, sir?

MR. LINDSEY: Judge, objection. That’s argumentative.

MS. NIELSEN: I believe he’s being argumentative.

THE COURT: Well I think she didn’t ask you that particular question and you’re going to get an opportunity to redirect.

BY MS NIELSEN:

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Ms. Nebal’s statement to Agent Graham that when Barry Morphew came to Salida Stove and Spa on May 9th between 4:00 and 5:30 pm that there was nothing unusual about his demeanor?

A (Grusing): No I did not.

Q (Nielsen): Did you consider Agent Graham’s conversation with Ms. Nebal’s son Colton Nebal?

I also want to point you to these two surveillance photos of Barry heading back to PP from DSI.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_87.png
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_88.png

The People’s Exhibits – Find Suzanne Morphew

Now, I'm going to ask you a question. If LE sat there and watched these cameras for Barry to drive by when he was supposed to be headed home from DSI, don't you think they checked for all three available vehicles when a witness placed Barry at Salida Stove and Spa? It's a lot faster than waiting on the reports.

I'd be willing to bet that you are correct and the only thing that turns up on Suzanne's RR data is Barry getting the bike and helmet out around 3:45 am on the 10th.
Oh man, that never occurred to me.

If her vehicle showed ANY activity at all around that time, it's absolutely damning.

We already have two data points showing that Barry was outside when he should have been sleeping, and one of them (phone) may put him in the area of the bike.

But her doors opening would solidify the bike dump.

Last edited:
Oh man, that never occurred to me.

If her vehicle showed ANY activity at all around that time, it's absolutely damning.

We already have two days points showing that Barry was outside when he should have been sleeping, and one of them (phone) may put him in the area of the bike.

But her doors opening would solidify the bike dump.

Absolutely. No wonder there has been so much distraction about the DNA on the glove box. Suzanne's car doors were opened when she was asleep!

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1491942100249677825?s=21
New trial date for the Morphew case now. Set to start 4/29 - end 6/3 as judge rules alleged domestic violence between couple will not be allowed through texts or prior conversation. Legal folks say this is a blow to the prosecution because these alleged acts explain motive.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1491942483491581955?s=21
Prosecution may try to get into in though through witnesses whom #SuzanneMorphew spoke with about the troubled marriage. Her confidante, Sheila Oliver, is a key witness. The family only lived in Colo for 2 years, so there are many witnesses who knew them in Indiana.

I wonder if Jean Ritter might give testimony as to SM's accounts of domestic violence? OTOH, if not, she may help the defense in that regard.

And, acording to the AA, the sellers of PP indicate that they suspected BM immediately based on his behavior toward SM both before and after the sale. Will we hear more about that?

Didn't AM once state that SM was involved with a DV group/counseling? Perhaps that avenue is a potential source.

Let me preface what I have to say by reiterating the fact that MM1 and MM2 are very much victims in this case. However, and without victim blaming, it is important to analyze the Morphew family dynamic and the role this may play in BM’s upcoming trial.
That being said, I agree totally with what you have said here, @Seattle1. I think MM1 was Daddy’s girl long before this family structure began to erode. It’s very common for a child in a family to be closer to one parent than another. We all have seen cases where the loved ones or even close friends of the accused firmly refuse to accept that he/she could ever be capable of committing such an heinous act. As they say, “Love is blind.” For someone you idolize to do something awful is the ultimate act of betrayal.
That leaves MM2 in a terrible position. MM1 has been away at college while MM2 was home watching her parents’ relationship implode. She encouraged her mother to get away from this toxic environment. She offered to go with her. She stated that she did not want to be home with them all summer while they fought.
Now, Mom is gone. MM2 is alone. She is young, still in high school. After BM’s arrest, she goes to live with her sister, her Dad’s biggest champion. She is forced to make a choice between speaking up for her Mom and isolating herself from her remaining parent and only sibling, or she stands together with them to put up the false front of a tight, bonded, and loving family. Remember, as bad as he is, BM is still her Dad. What guilt she must feel. I feel very sad for this child, for both of them.
Fellow WSers, what would you do?

The whole thing is just horrifying. He used MM1 in his machinations. Does she know he used her yet? Is he telling her he is innocent but this stuff looks bad and her name is on some transactions? She obviously has no idea of the reality of what has happened and his manipulations keep them isolated from anyone or anything that could expose them to the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum