Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the source that confirms the execution of multiple SW's in this case?

I can only find MSM confirming the initial SW used to conduct a search of the missing person's house.

I believe that BM voluntarily surrendered his house, his automobile, and his cell phone to LE to search immediately upon his return from Denver. It would seem prudent for LE to search the home of a missing woman immediately, if for no other reason than to insure that she wasn't in it; but LE was not seen searching the home until the eighth day. The mobile lab used was clearly marked "Chaffee County Sheriff CSI" so the delay certainly wasn't caused by waiting for equipment availability. In retrospect, the most likely scenario to me is that LE feared from the beginning that the home may have been a crime scene, which would explain the delay to ensure that it was an effective and comprehensive search the first time. The length of search certainly indicates that it was a thorough one.

I find it impossible to believe that LE had developed full suspicions of BM in three hours without ever talking to him and from no more physical evidence than the discovery of the bike, just as we have all wondered what prompted the massive search team response from a single 911 call from a neighbor. I think there is much more to the beginning of story than any of us have imagined.
Likewise, when LE finished the slab search, I believe they said they had served 12 search warrants, I made a list of the usual things..........bank accounts, cell phone data, etc. I can't come up with twelve possible searches by that time if LE was focusing solely on the husband.
In my opinion, there has been something else going on that we are not going to see until something dramatic happens, like an arrest, a set of arrests or a raid of some sort. IMO
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

The purpose for the crime scene at the time in Virginia is to provide proof - large amount of blood and/or body matter - that would indicate the victim would not likely survive. I don't know if that is the same in CO.
RSBM
Thanks Jn, that is the same case, my apologies for the misspell. Makes sense when you think it through and it was lost on me initially, it's not so much the "crime scene"...it's the other collaborating evidence surrounding the scene. Going off a bit now...but because I knew of that case, it was local, that was in the back of my head when LE said Gannon came back to the house that day. I've never felt sure myself, it just seems so incredible that she would have him there dead, while waiting for the police and that the police would miss his body. I was hoping the neighbors video really would have the final answer. At the time I though well, just maybe they are saying he came home because they need to make solid case and produce a "crime scene" venue so to speak, if Colorado had a similar law, appears they don't. Not that there wasn't blood evidence, we know there was blood, but enough? Doesn't matter now...they have a body. RIP Gannon.

I believe that BM voluntarily surrendered his house, his automobile, and his cell phone to LE to search immediately upon his return from Denver. It would seem prudent for LE to search the home of a missing woman immediately, if for no other reason than to insure that she wasn't in it; but LE was not seen searching the home until the eighth day. The mobile lab used was clearly marked "Chaffee County Sheriff CSI" so the delay certainly wasn't caused by waiting for equipment availability. In retrospect, the most likely scenario to me is that LE feared from the beginning that the home may have been a crime scene, which would explain the delay to ensure that it was an effective and comprehensive search the first time. The length of search certainly indicates that it was a thorough one.

I find it impossible to believe that LE had developed full suspicions of BM in three hours without ever talking to him and from no more physical evidence than the discovery of the bike, just as we have all wondered what prompted the massive search team response from a single 911 call from a neighbor. I think there is much more to the beginning of story than any of us have imagined.
Likewise, when LE finished the slab search, I believe they said they had served 12 search warrants, I made a list of the usual things..........bank accounts, cell phone data, etc. I can't come up with twelve possible searches by that time if LE was focusing solely on the husband.
In my opinion, there has been something else going on that we are not going to see until something dramatic happens, like an arrest, a set of arrests or a raid of some sort. IMO
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
From your link:

But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.

Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend George Davis, 33.

Which scenario is most likely in a case such as this?
1) The body is eventually discovered accidentally by someone in the general public
2) LE find the body after piecing evidence together
3) The killer reveals the location of the body
4) Someone else, not the killer, reveals the location of the body
5) The body is never found.

1) The body is eventually discovered accidentally by someone in the general public
Likely, I’m not sure. My fear is 5.

RE: 4 -Well if there is someone else involved they are being super quiet about it which reminds me of KK - I don’t think we knew about her until after the FBI interview where she told them what Frazee did to Kelsey IIRC
5- and equipment was involved
JMO

BM doesn’t appear to use profanity. This is rare. (Source: conversation with TD)

BM prays before his meals. This is also rare. (Source: Skinner in LS interview.

Guys who don’t swear and pray before their meals, don’t generally kill their wives. So if BM murdered his wife, what in the world happened??

BM doesn’t appear to use profanity. This is rare. (Source: conversation with TD)

Guys who don’t swear and pray before their meals, don’t generally kill their wives. So if BM murdered his wife, what in the world happened??
But neither of these two were around him daily were they? They don’t know what they don’t know IMO
And we know nothing except what others have said - and sometimes being pious does not equal being a good person
JMO

Deciding: Murder or Abduction Charge?
A case in Virginia (1984, Melissa Branden).... had no body. Although Virginia law did not require a body of the victim to file murder charges, the law does require prosecutors to identify the location of the murder....did charge him with kidnapping based on fibers found in his car. But they never could bring the murder charges.... I wonder if Colorado has similar requirements? ....

{ETA: I just read back & found other posts on this. Hoping it's not too much overlapr} @Murphy1950
:) sbm & bbm some by me. Interesting question.
Referring to this - Brannen? Sad, sad, sad. Briefly, imo the obstacle re prosecutor bringing murder (or other homicide) charge was proving her death had occurred - there in Fairfax County, other VA county, or at any location, period. Yes, death can be proven even w'out a body, for ex, a large pool of MisPers' blood at a scene, a volume of blood loss that a person could not survive.
What P'r could & did prove: perp took her from party (at apt complex blding where she & Mom lived) in Fairfax County to other location (had to be other location, because she was not found still there at party location): soooo = abduction under VA law plus intent to defile.** my 2 cts.

Oversimplifying, but gen'ly in any US state, a prosecutor has authority to a prosecute crime in which one or more elements occurred within county/district/location s/he serves.
For ex, if all elements of Brannen crime had occurred in NY instead of Fairfax County VA, the Fairfax County prosecutor would not have had authority to prosecute this perp in Brannen case & VA court would not have had jurisdiction to hold the trial. my 2 cts.

As always, I welcome comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals.
........................................................................................................................................................................................
* Hughes was charged with kidnapping with intent to defile (i.e., kidnapping as a prelude to sexual assault). The fiber evidence was pivotal in establishing this charge, as prosecutors argued that there was no innocent reason to remove the girl's coat in the car and thus leave the dress fibers."
^ Disappearance of Melissa Brannen - Wikipedia

** VA statute, (current, it may have been amended since time of Melissa's abduction)

" § 18.2-47. Abduction and kidnapping defined; punishment.
A. Any person who, by force, intimidation or deception, and without legal justification or excuse, seizes, takes, transports, detains or secretes another person with the intent to deprive such other person of his personal liberty or to withhold or conceal him from any person, authority or institution lawfully entitled to his charge, shall be deemed guilty of "abduction."
bbm Even perp moving victim from one room to another in same house.
"
§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.
Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution,..." then sentencing provisions. bbm

Last edited:
From your link:

But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.

Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend George Davis, 33.

Pretty telling. If they had nothing of value from the car or phone, they’d give them back.

Sounds like they’re evidence and they’re building a case.

A cursory google search will prove you wrong....

There's a phrase 'thou dost protest too much'....these murdering 'religious' men seem to be of that ilk

Or maybe they gotta really really really pray...'cause they know their sins...

Eh.

I don't think BM's religion or lack thereof will have squat to do with this case...

JMO

Pretty telling. If they had nothing of value from the car or phone, they’d give them back.

Sounds like they’re evidence and they’re building a case.
This is actually an old article. The argument was if BM gave law enforcement the house, car, and phone willingly, or if they were seized using a warrant.

I’m pretty sure you believe they likely used a warrant.

From your link:

Immediate : independent of all other factors

RE: 4 -Well if there is someone else involved they are being super quiet about it which reminds me of KK - I don’t think we knew about her until after the FBI interview where she told them what Frazee did to Kelsey IIRC
5- and equipment was involved
JMO

Actually, we didn't learn of KK until the double R's sold her story to MSM. I remember we all assumed she was responsible for the infamous Idaho ping, but we really didn't learn that PF had demoted her from pinch hitter to batting cleanup until her arraignment. IMO

Actually, it seems a lot of domestic murderers are likable men. That is partly how they are able to abuse women and no one suspects a thing.

Yes...........the seems to be something about the family dynamic that is just different. We have heard that the FBI is intensively interviewing in Indiana, while little or no interviewing that has been exposed to the public in Colorado. What's up with that? IMO
I must have missed where it stated the FBI is intensively interviewing in Indiana. Can you shed some light on this? TIA

A cursory google search will prove you wrong....

There's a phrase 'thou dost protest too much'....these murdering 'religious' men seem to be of that ilk

Or maybe they gotta really really really pray...'cause they know their sins...

Eh.

I don't think BM's religion or lack thereof will have squat to do with this case...

JMO
Piety is good for business in certain circles, yes I'm cynical. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members