Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been following the missing Linda Stoltzfoos case in Pennsylvania, and we have been discussing how the upcoming Deer Hunting seasons will be an opportunity to have many hunters crawling the woods and to be able to help be on the lookout for any clues or the remains of the missing.

I came up with a suggestion that I just realized could be used on this case too, and also could maybe someday be a new nationwide "tool" to assist LE in any state each year to help find their missing people. I am listing it below.

ETA - You know what would immediately add thousands of searchers (i.e. hunters) for her?

Have the Game Commission put out an announcement that any hunter during this deer season that finds Suzanne's remains will get a FREE Lifetime Hunting License.

Gosh, I wish I was in a position to make that happen.

Profiling Evil has a web page.

There is a paragraph that has been bothering me.

"FOX21's Lauren Scharf reports Barry is also seen in town where he leaves a note in the Pancha Market. “Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala (Store Manager). There was no mention of who he was looking for, no description, only this note."

Look at that again, Barry doesn't mention who he was looking for.

Me: *palm face slap on the forehead*

Last edited:
@TxGidget, I'm sorry my post was not clear.

I was also referring to Kelsie Schilling, and if the Pueblo Police had announced they located a skull and bone fragments in a grave, I would say yes, this could be Kelsie!

Kelsie's been missing and believed dead since Feb 2013 -- more than 7 years. I thought it would be clear that this means she would be eliminated as a potential victim in today's discovery of a body but I was wrong making that assumption.

According to the earlier linked report, Pueblo Police reported they are seeking help after locating a body in a shallow grave. You can trust that Pueblo Police have a recent homicide investigation underway where they recovered the body of a victim from a shallow grave. IMO, the victim of this homicide has probably been dead between 24-72 hours.
[/QUOTE
Bouncing off of this, does anyone recall a statement at any time, where he said "I didn't do it" or "I am innocent"? Possible I missed it. MOO.
I don't ever recall him saying that.

Ive been following the missing Linda Stoltzfoos case in Pennsylvania, and we have been discussing how the upcoming Deer Hunting seasons will be an opportunity to have many hunters crawling the woods and to be able to help be on the lookout for any clues or the remains of the missing.

I came up with a suggestion that I just realized could be used on this case too, and also could maybe someday be a new nationwide "tool" to assist LE in any state each year to help find their missing people. I am listing it below.

ETA - You know what would immediately add thousands of searchers (i.e. hunters) for her?

Have the Game Commission put out an announcement that any hunter during this deer season that finds Suzanne's remains will get a FREE Lifetime Hunting License.

Doesnt need to be official.
Flyers in hunting supply stores would do it.
Seems like BM could hit every hunting store in the state with two weeks of driving. And change that damn reward to just "Find Suzanne."
She isn't going to be in "good condition" no matter what.

Doesnt need to be official.
Flyers in hunting supply stores would do it.
Seems like BM could hit every hunting store in the state with two weeks of driving. And change that damn reward to just "Find Suzanne."
She isn't going to be in "good condition" no matter what.
Ita.
As well as leaving out the "No questions asked" bit.
:rolleyes:

Thoughts on this scenario?
Posted out on SM, and I have read the same here on Websleuths, is the comment that the police ARE allowed to outright lie to suspects, to achieve a means to an end. And I get that, unfortunately a conversation followed that I have a problem with. A person then took the leap that LE lied to Barry and told him he passed the lie detector test and that is why Barry told his Brother- in- law he passed; therefore, Barry has done nothing wrong.

Would LE lie to Andy about BM taking or refusing to take a test?

Does anyone know how burner phones work? They ping off cell phone towers just like regular cell phones but they don’t have a regular cell carrier? So you might get the cell phone geographical information from the tower ping, but without the individual user information? And when you purchase it, the record on the vendor receipt would have no particular identifying information in regard to that particular burner phone?

Just curious.

Burner phones use the same cell towers and networks as other phones. At this point in the USA you're basically talking about AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile as the networks. Burner phones, like other MVNOs, lease capacity on the networks. The metadata available about the calls, quality of the connection (mostly), etc. is going to be the same whether a burner phone or a "regular" phone. The difference is that burner phones (but not all phone sold via MVNOs) are sold without collecting any data about the owner of the phone. It is sometimes possible to track a burner phone to an actual purchase transaction via "offline" methods, but not via carrier records exclusively.

Note: I understand that I've oversimplified a bit here so as not to triple the length of the answer. Hopefully y'all can spare me the criticism for making that choice.

Yeah, first it’s firefighter training in Denver, then a job in Denver and now it’s a job in Colorado Springs. I wonder if he’s got another story floating around out there. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least bit. MOO
Why would you even have to spend a day doing a re-look and making preparations at a previous job site? If you've been there before, presumably you know the lay of the land, the tasks required of the job, etc. You've even rehearsed before (as in, you've done it previously). You botched a window, you put in a new window. "Team preparation" for this task? Huh?

Reasons why someone doesn't want to show their face or have their voice recorded:

- insecure
- afraid of being recognized

That's all I have. Anyone else?

Because whether he is involved or not, he is being scrutinized at a level that apparently no one else is that we are aware of at this time. Pretty much he can’t say or do anything right at this time- now, understandable.

<modsnip>

IMO, the Moorman family has not acted much differently than BM. They have been absent from this case. It’s already been stated here that LE did not request this of them.

BM has been criticized harshly for not hiring the local PI in Salida- SM’s family is free to be doing any investigating they choose, and speaking to any media to keep SM’s disappearance current and active. They haven’t until just now. It’s been 4 months essentially.

<modsnip>

In summary, I find many behaviors and statements odd beyond BM.

<modsnip>

So many strange, strange happenings here. But BM gets the mother lode- again albeit somewhat mostly understandable with not much else to go on from LE, but still, some awkward, unremarkable behaviors by others beyond BM. I guess I have these conversations with myself. <modsnip>

IMOO- every word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on this scenario?
Posted out on SM, and I have read the same here on Websleuths, is the comment that the police ARE allowed to outright lie to suspects, to achieve a means to an end. And I get that, unfortunately a conversation followed that I have a problem with. A person then took the leap that LE lied to Barry and told him he passed the lie detector test and that is why Barry told his Brother- in- law he passed; therefore, Barry has done nothing wrong.

Would LE lie to Andy about BM taking or refusing to take a test?
I think that LE and AM are on the same page. LE realized that BM lied to him about passing a lie detector test. They merely corrected the misconception, so that AM would be able to navigate his actions clearly.
I don't think LE is playing games with Suzanne's family any more than I can believe that LE didn't ask BM to take lie detector test. It's too obvious who the lying liar is. It's not LE. Right, Murphy?
Moo of course.

Yeah, first it’s firefighter training in Denver, then a job in Denver and now it’s a job in Colorado Springs. I wonder if he’s got another story floating around out there. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least bit. MOO

I don’t think Barry himself ever said it was for firefighter training. He said it was for his job and some people figured out he was a volunteer firefighter and assumed it was for some fire training and the rumor got traction.

"FOX21's Lauren Scharf reports Barry is also seen in town where he leaves a note in the Pancha Market. “Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala (Store Manager). There was no mention of who he was looking for, no description, only this note."

It is odd, the emphasis on items, not Suzanne. A lot of emphasis on that bike. I'm betting a helmet and an article of biking clothing was what LE found during the search off hiway 50. I think he was certain that those 3 items would convince LE that he was innocent. They are very important to him. Suzanne...not so much. Moo of course.

I'll raise your disgust to shocked and dismayed!

After posing these questions a couple of different ways, this is my interpretation:

To the best of my understanding, IC makes no provision for a court-appointed lawyer (or guardian ad litem) for a missing person, a missing respondent that cannot be served the petition for guardianship, NOTICE of the hearing, and cannot attend the hearing.

SBM
Bold by OP

@Seattle1
I hope you don't mind my putting you on the spot. (And apologies for the late reply <modsnip>) IINAL and all that, but to me it seems like the point of notifying other people, such as the legal-age daughter or the parents, about the guardianship situation is specifically to address the issue that you are trying to address. They are supposed to speak for the missing person. They are allowed and encouraged to have legal counsel themselves. Wouldn't such persons be better suited to speak for and protect the missing person than a lawyer that likely never met the missing person? Wouldn't they also be best suited to understand the family dynamics of the missing person in order to determine where intervention is needed? Should it always be assumed that guardianship is against the best interests of the missing person? I don't know the answer but I'm curious to hear your thoughts if you care to share.

Or, if your point was just about providing a free lawyer, then I misunderstood and nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because whether he is involved or not, he is being scrutinized at a level that apparently no one else is that we are aware of at this time. Pretty much he can’t say or do anything right at this time- now, understandable.

I noticed during AM’s interview with PE, he too referred to his own sister as “prey” when discussing mountain lion theory. Yet this hasn’t so much received a mention yet alone pages upon pages of discussion. He spent 4 days searching with BM and others and admittedly returned to “work and family” and hasn’t returned to CO. He’s remained silent and anonymous for almost 4 months. He stated he’d like to return again “before the snow flies” to search again for his sister.

IMO, the Moorman family has not acted much differently than BM. They have been absent from this case. It’s already been stated here that LE did not request this of them.

BM has been criticized harshly for not hiring the local PI in Salida- SM’s family is free to be doing any investigating they choose, and speaking to any media to keep SM’s disappearance current and active. They haven’t until just now. It’s been 4 months essentially. Yet AM says he didn’t believe BM the first day now...now? Why did he wait 4 months? I do not buy the daughters excuse, the talk of them here as small children grows redundant. I come from an abusive home, at their age this would be the break they were hoping for - and exactly what BM refers to as “saving just one person”. This would be their out- finally! Sadly, imho. I know too well.

I am curious to why no one from SM’s family hasn’t been a constant presence here in CO since her disappearance?

My sister just finalized her divorce from her heinously controlling and abusive ex husband in March out of state. I lived in fear she would make it out alive, as did a few others. He is extremely wealthy, connected- smart- if this exact scenario would have transpired with her, I would have been there as quickly as I could make the drive, and I would still be there, if that meant living in my car. I come from a broken family, my relationship with my sister is tumultuous at best-

In summary, I find many behaviors and statements odd beyond BM.

I wish for once I would come on here and read someone else noting these truths too. Like “Gee, did anyone else notice AM just said prey also just like BM when talking about the mountain lion - what’s up with these people? Do they all have a sensitivity chip missing?” Or “Well, I find it strange that no one from SM’s family has been in CO for the past 3.5 months.” Or, “Could we discuss why SM’s family has been silent/absent?”, without hiding behind the guise of the daughters.

So many strange, strange happenings here. But BM gets the mother lode- again albeit somewhat mostly understandable with not much else to go on from LE, but still, some awkward, unremarkable behaviors by others beyond BM. I guess I have these conversations with myself. Lonely out here...I’m not lauding the Moorman family efforts or behaviors- definitely past, present is at least something!

IMOO- every word.

We don't know what LE told SM's family. We do know from our own observations that LE has not been treating this case as a traditional missing person's case. We don't know what SM was wearing when she was last seen, no public "be on the look out" statements from LE. If SM's family have been under the impression that LE believed this was a domestic issue - i.e. BM likely harmed his wife - then SM's family has no reason to get out in front of the media pleading for help to find the real kidnapper.

I have thought all along that there is something we don't know about the M marriage that Suzanne's family and friends know that influences how they are choosing to behave in this situation. I know we are not allowed to discuss it or speculate but if you think your friend's abusive husband is going to kill her one of these years, you may not be surprised when she goes missing one day.

There may also come a point when you don't think LE is acting quickly enough or aggressively enough where you decide to start speaking out. People get very frustrated, sometimes rightly so, at the speed of LE investigations. In many cases you'll see families will give LE a certain amount of time to do their thing but if it feels like the case is dragging on, friends and family lessen their deference to LE and get out there themselves.

In real missing persons cases, traditional child kidnappings and the like, LE works with the family to make scripted statements and pleas. Again, we haven't seen that here. So all of these "clues" have colored my opinion on this case.

I hope they have an evidentiary break soon. It seems like that's what they're missing. Something concrete to pull the pieces together.

I do get what you’re saying. I still think Barry killed Suzanne. I didn’t have a problem with the way he discussed prey or cats, I just didn’t believe him. It bothers me that no one from immediate family has uttered a word, and I am curious about that. We cannot victim blame here, so I keep my thoughts to myself in regard to Suzanne’s children.

I think most families have skeletons; my belief is that going public even in a case like this exposes one to all sorts of scrutiny and innuendo. I think Barry should have stepped up and taken the punches. Others have chosen to now, and their lives will be all over the internet. They stepped up. Maybe not perfect people, but they bothered.
I do get what you’re saying. I still think Barry killed Suzanne. I didn’t have a problem with the way he discussed prey or cats, I just didn’t believe him. It bothers me that no one from immediate family has uttered a word, and I am curious about that. We cannot victim blame here, so I keep my thoughts to myself in regard to Suzanne’s children.

I think most families have skeletons; my belief is that going public even in a case like this exposes one to all sorts of scrutiny and innuendo. I think Barry should have stepped up and taken the punches. Others have chosen to now, and their lives will be all over the internet. They stepped up. Maybe not perfect people, but they bothered.

I would never intend to victim blame. Not that you are insinuating. I think there is a very thick line between victim blaming and unseen, strange behaviors.

When a person goes missing, I feel it’s fair to agree in cases with media coverage garnered as SM’s, immediate family (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters etc) are seen fairly quickly, usually with LE or media making statements and pleas for help/justice/memory/anything for their loved one- they are desperate for answers and for the person responsible to be apprehended- without a thought to who that person may or may not be, or effects it may have- that would all be beside the point and not in your thoughts- it’s 100% emotion and despair- desperation- or it should be. I guess unless there is something utterly sinister going on- which I don’t pretend to know anything about or want to- and if that’s the case here- maybe that’s why the FBI was here pronto- who knows?!

Again, always, IMOO, no disdain for anyone, no sides, just trying to keep it real - I don’t see any perfect people or behaviors going on here- I’m seeing some very odd, unseen things across the board- I hope to someday understand why.

Honestly, I don’t care who disappeared SM, and I’m not going to waste my energy on whatever monster did- bashing the unknown or when they become known- I will put energy and effort into causes that promote things like this not continuing to happen to women. And much love to SM and her daughters.

Good catch, Warwick !
I'd assumed he'd at least mentioned Suzanne's name in passing ?
Gee, sounds like he doesn't want her found !
Imo.

An interesting observation about hunters finding remains. I had never even thought about that until a couple of years ago when I was reading a book about the Colonial Parkway killings in Virginia. In it the author talked about how LE braced themselves every hunting season because they knew hunters would be finding human remains deep in the woods and that some of those might be the remains of people they were looking for. My guess is that’s true everywhere.

BBM
This comment goes back a little bit. I've been on, ahem, a forced leave from WS so I wasn't able to comment sooner. I don't think it has been addressed though, so I'll do it now. BLM has not been named a POI. Officially, nobody in the whole world has been ruled out. Perhaps that means we are all POIs. IMO
True! I should have said “unofficial, but obvious POI“ :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member