Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some spitballing on what the ‘unusual activity’ that friends and family noticed could be that occurred on SM’s social media profile:

-It could be referencing a large volume of people getting friend suggestions for SM as we’ve already covered.
-It could be that it showed SM as ‘online’ or ‘logged in’ at really late hours of the night, like after 2am. Does anyone know how Facebook or the messenger app shows people being online or available? Say Barry was working into the wee hours and continued to check her profile to make sure there wasn’t any concerned messages, would it show weird stuff like ‘SM last online at 3am” or something like that?
-It could be BM looking at, liking, or doing who know what’s while accidentally still logged in as SM

RBBM

On my display, there is a column of my friends' names. If there is a green dot next to their name, I know they are online.

MVHO.

From what I read, it's not just looking at profiles but activity, such as likes, comments, shares, etc.
Although, since FB's algorithm is a highly protected proprietary secret, it's all just guesswork.

jmo
I think he or someone else actually wrote something, somewhere (messenger or whatever) impersonating her for people to go, "WHAT?!".
That and ALL of the above.
I'm learning so much and I'm grateful for everyone's research and knowledge. :)

Just some spitballing on what the ‘unusual activity’ that friends and family noticed could be that occurred on SM’s social media profile:

-It could be referencing a large volume of people getting friend suggestions for SM as we’ve already covered.
-It could be that it showed SM as ‘online’ or ‘logged in’ at really late hours of the night, like after 2am. Does anyone know how Facebook or the messenger app shows people being online or available? Say Barry was working into the wee hours and continued to check her profile to make sure there wasn’t any concerned messages, would it show weird stuff like ‘SM last online at 3am” or something like that?
-It could be BM looking at, liking, or doing who know what’s while accidentally still logged in as SM

Alright, I’m starting to think this through a little more.

I believe PE stated that it was ‘unusual activity from SM’s Profile’ that friends and family noticed.

Most of SM’s friends and family live in IN, right? And the part of IN they live in is EST whereas Salida is MT.

So if a friend of family member woke up at 6am Sunday morning, check Facebook, and it says ‘SM is online’ that would be 4am MT.

So first that would be odd, and even if it were SM logged in it would go against BM saying he left SM sleeping at 5am Sunday.

And being ‘online’ at an unusual time would qualify as odd activity from the Profile since the profile is what’s saying she’s online.

**and this is predicated on, moo, that BM logged in as SM on his phone, and was working all through the night, and checking SM’s profile to make sure no alarm type Messages were being sent or posted. **

Last edited:
Relative to "I'll pay you good money" this would be true for employees from Salida if BM sent them to work on the RTD project as BM is required to pay either Prevailing Wage or Wages pursuant to Davis-Bacon Act on public works contracts. (See pgs 13-16 linked below).

It appears that RTD construction contractors are required to use the Davis-Bacon so employees have to be paid weekly, and paid an hourly wage rate, plus fringe benefit rate to each employee. I'd say that the three employees "jumped on it."

I have no idea what BM's labor practices are on private jobs but there's no skirting the law here as it's a federal offense.

https://www.rtd-denver.com/sites/default/files/files/2017-06/ftaterms.pdf
Maybe that's what he meant when he said he doesn't always pay with checks, maybe just the government jobs that require proof of paying.
What if he put them to work without a contract, and one of them is hurt on the job? Does a supervisor with qualifications have to be on the job at all times?

Maybe he paid JP beforehand, which is what JP might have been alluding to, that he didn't speak further with BM but he got paid.

I will remain surprised by any legit employer who says he pays his employees "mostly" by check. If someone had asked me that when I had my business I would have just looked at them.............well duh, of course.

Last edited:
Wow with all the information we’ve received about how FB works, how Messenger works behind the scenes, it makes me wonder if a FB expert would be called to testify at any trial, if there ever is one. That is, if any details about SM’s messages help prove any part of a timeline.

When I was (much) younger, while walking back from a party to where I was staying, I came across a cat at the edge of someone's garden. It wasn't moving and didn't respond when I knelt down to speak to it. It felt cold when I stroked it. I was worried that it was injured but didn't want to walk along the road, waking people up at 2 am to check if it was their cat. So I 'phoned a local veterinary surgery to say I was bringing a very sick cat in. When I tried to pick it up to wrap it in my jacket, it was a dead weight. That was because it was a large brick/stone that someone had set into their garden. Worse still, the occupants of the property were alerted to my antics because they could hear me chatting to the stone. The guy came out to challenge me for trying to steal one of their decorative stones. To add insult to injury, I had to 'phone the vet to tell them the cat was a brick.
That's the closest I've ever been to seeing a ghost cat.
I blame the alcoholic punch.
LOL! I don't think it was the 'alcohol' in the punch! :D

Maybe that's what he meant when he said he doesn't always pay with checks, maybe just the government jobs that require proof of paying.
What if he put them to work without a contract, and one of them is hurt on the job? Does a supervisor with qualifications have to be on the job at all times?

Maybe he paid JP beforehand, which is what JP might have been alluding to, that he didn't speak further with BM but he got paid.
Where did you read that BM said "he didn't always pay with checks"? I must have missed an important nugget!

Relative to "I'll pay you good money" this would be true for employees from Salida if BM sent them to work on the RTD project as BM is required to pay either Prevailing Wage or Wages pursuant to Davis-Bacon Act on public works contracts. (See pgs 13-16 linked below).

It appears that RTD construction contractors are required to use the Davis-Bacon so employees have to be paid weekly, and paid an hourly wage rate, plus fringe benefit rate to each employee. I'd say that the three employees "jumped on it."

I have no idea what BM's labor practices are on private jobs but there's no skirting the law here as it's a federal offense.

https://www.rtd-denver.com/sites/default/files/files/2017-06/ftaterms.pdf
Prevailing wage jobs also require submittal of a "certified payroll" which ensures the contractor is paying the correct rates.

If he did something to her sometime Saturday afternoon when her communication stopped and he also reported that he last saw her still asleep on Sunday morning. I wonder if the bed looked truly slept in, whether there were clothes scattered, towels damp from a shower. I wonder if there were dirty coffee cups and breakfast dishes that she used. If she took medication in the morning, was it gone? I wonder if he was successful in setting up the house to look like she had been there Sunday until her "bike ride"

Where did you read that BM said "he didn't always pay with checks"? I must have missed an important nugget!
I posted the quote from the AM/PE interview on today's thread, probably about 3 pages back. AM asked BM how he paid his employees, and BM said "mostly by check". (AM was wondering if his address was on the checks.) That was in the conversation about his family being threatened, he went to the police, he says, yet didn't know the vehicle used by the person who threatened him just one week before.

Who knows what level of professionalism his business entails, one wonders after the sharing of the room, leaving it somewhat trashed for his employee, occupying the bed at least on top, etc. Just saying that I, as a business owner who also did the accounting, would never have paid an employee without a check. Now, people could deposit electronically, but I took his statement to mean something else, so I'll just leave it to IMO.

Last edited:

I believe PE state’s that it was ‘unusual activity from SM’s Profile’ that friends and family noticed.

Most of SM’s friends and family live in IN, right? And the part of IN they live in is EST whereas Salida is MT.

So if a friend of family member woke up at 6am Sunday morning, check Facebook, and it says ‘SM is online’ that would be 4am MT.

So first that would be odd, and if even were SM logged in it would go against BM saying he left SM sleeping at 5am Sunday.

And being ‘online’ at an unusual time would qualify as odd activity from the Profile since the profile is what’s saying she’s online.
Good thought, but I'm convinced it was far more than being online at an unusual time.

I can't remember which PE show it was on, but one of them while talking about Suzanne and her friend that Saturday. Said the friend tried to communicate right after Suzanne went missing (implied with Barry) and her efforts were not reciprocated. Anyone else remember this, how about which show it was said on?

ETA-I need to be like Fireflize and keep a notebook beside my computer :)

I am speculating that the move to CO was to leave behind a 3rd party that BM may have been more than a little friendly with, in an attempt to 'try again' and to reconcile any difficulties in the marriage. I imagine the trust that existed prior to such an incident would then be non-existant - this could explain why SM could potentially be snooping through BM's Facebook, Insta etc. in turn this would cause one hell of an argument where I could picture a VERY angry BM if he found out or was confronted, he could have fatally hurt Suzanne and then consequently pretended to be her during Saturday through social media.

This is all MOO, apologies for any mistakes or if it doesn't make sense - I have had one too many glasses of wine and not enough sleep in the last 24 hrs :p

Wow with all the information we’ve received about how FB works, how Messenger works behind the scenes, it makes me wonder if a FB expert would be called to testify at any trial, if there ever is one. That is, if any details about SM’s messages help prove any part of a timeline.

I suspect that the FBI is all over this and when they see tips like @Hoosierfan72 and his friends gave, they know exactly what it means and where to take it. I bet they see this a ton now a days in every case.

They’ll also have a mountain of digital evidence between Facebook data, phone gps data and things like that. I’m sure they have experts that go over the data to explain what it means to a jury.

I believe PE state’s that it was ‘unusual activity from SM’s Profile’ that friends and family noticed.

So first that would be odd, and if even were SM logged in it would go against BM saying he left SM sleeping at 5am Sunday.

I think your speculation that the timing may also play a role in the oddness of later online activity would fit well with a murder/cleanup. BM would have done first things first, set up a job alibi, cleaned up the home, packed up Suzanne, maybe or maybe not already disposed of her.

I think the fake online activity took place after he took care of all that. Then, in a lull before he headed out for Broomfield, he came up with that brilliant idea. So it very well could have been done at a time that Suzanne had never reached out online before.
Moo
Edited to add, I agree with Knox, that there was other noticable oddness about the activity as well as the timing.

Last edited:
The site does show one, right next to the pool Holiday Inn Express & Suites Denver Northwest - Broomfield

But I'm guessing if the pool was closed due to COVID, the hot tub, gym and buffet breakfast were also closed. That's the way it happened here - all extra amenities were immediately shut down.
On my way to Boulder, I stopped by the northbound Flatiron Park & Ride, which is very near this hotel. The parking lot is about twenty feet below the platform, and there is a large concrete retaining wall facing northeast. It appears that there was recent construction activity to improve drainage on the southern end of the wall. Underground equipment adjacent to a storm drain was installed or repaired, and the site re-graded with a machine (Bobcat?) to carry water away from the wall to the drain. The site is small. I am not sure the job is complete: an equipment container and pile of dirt remain on the site. If the work BM came to Denver for was earthwork related to a wall, this could be it. As noted before, we are not sure BM had an RTD contract or subcontract, and if so what the equipment and personnel needs might be for the scope of work. But this project could be worth checking out for any folks who can. It should be posted somewhere.

For such jobs, what does the employer have to do, legally, before the employee starts to work?
I think the easiest way to answer your question is to provide a link to the DIR, two tabs at the link will answer any questions you may have- Public Works
My site is not owned by a municipality, we are private. But we do have contracts with State & City Governments.

I posted the quote from the AM/PE interview on today's thread, probably about 3 pages back. AM asked BM how he paid his employees, and BM said "mostly by check". (AM was wondering if his address was on the checks.) That was in the conversation about his family being threatened, he went to the police, he says, yet didn't know the vehicle used by the person who threatened him just one week before.

Who knows what level of professionalism his business entails, one wonders after the sharing of the room, leaving it somewhat trashed for his employee, occupying the bed at least on top, etc. Just saying that I, as a business owner who also did the accounting, would never have paid an employee without a check. Now, people could deposit electronically, but I took his statement to mean something else, so I'll just leave it to IMO.

Thank you for pointing that out, I totally missed that! Good catch!

I think the easiest way to answer your question is to provide a link to the DIR, two tabs at the link will answer any questions you may have- Public Works
My site is not owned by a municipality, we are private. But we do have contracts with State & City Governments.
It would be strange if he could hire people off the street without being covered by a contract for a government job.
Anyway, my point remains that if someone told me face to face that they mostly paid employees by check, I'd have a permanent eyebrow raised. I saw this all the time in commercial fishing where crew were paid carelessly, and it sometimes came back to bite the person who didn't use a check. But it could be very helpful to an employer who wanted to have profit increased on paper for loans, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hygate