Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I don't think so because BM purchased the lot in Longhorn subdivision just weeks after SM was reported missing. I don't think BM is going anywhere on his own. MOO
I agree. But, here’s why I think he did what he did.

The house in IN was about to close and I suspect there was a large LOC that needed to be satisfied upon sale, likely a revolving LOC almost at the limit that SM knew nothing about. Like my brother always says, “It takes a lot of money to put on a show.” And I think their lifestyle was just that. There was money, but not the kind that supports million dollar homes and lavish vacations and upscale cars. But, what Barry wants, Barry gets. He likes to be the “big” man. SM was waging a war with cancer and likely had little time to keep up with the finances.

So, the IN property sells, LOC satisfied and it likely took a goodly portion of the proceeds but SM never found out. BM took care of that. Needed to keep that hidden and save face. With maybe $400,000 at best, clear cash from the sale he buys the Salida property because he knows he can’t maintain the PP property long term. Now he’s left with maybe slightly more than $200,000 to build. Well, that’s not enough for the kind of house the big man needs to keep up appearances. He knows he’s got a lot tied up in PP property, especially SM’s $500,000. Now he could build a decent place for $700,000 considering the property is already paid for and he’ll have $$ to spare to support his new life once he sells PP.

I still believe this was premeditated. Whether 3 hours, 3 days or 3 months. I’m betting on 3 months. The walls were closing in with the impending sale of the IN home and he needed to cover up his sins and the only way to do that was to eliminate SM. Every thing he has done since SM disappeared screams of guilt. There is no remorse, just a desperate need to get away with murder and move on with his life. If we’re lucky, LE will be able to move him right into his cell!

All speculation, of course! JMO, MOO and all that jazz :)

When we downsized and sold our home, our realtor had a person come in to stage each room by rearranging furniture, depersonalized, and a few days later a photographer came for still shots and video tour.

These pictures look like some that Barry took on his cell phone.

BBM:

We don't know that there were many, if any, happy memories acquired in that house.

They've only lived in CO for a couple of years, and it sounds like SM was dx'd with a recurrence of her cancer soon after they moved there.

I agree with those who've expressed a dislike of the house itself.

Personally, I find both the decor and the drab color scheme extremely oppressive and inhospitable, with a completely masculine vibe.

I can't imagine SM being stuck there in that remote area with BM and feeling anything other than marginalized, and isolated.

That was never her dream home.

JMO.
Agreed. This was never SM's dream home. It depressed me to look at these pictures! As dark as that house is, the walls should all be painted white, frankly. I could never tour this house and pay that kind of money for it -- IMO, the outside of the house is angular and ugly, and the inside, for the price, comes off as cramped and dingy. It seems that the furniture must be theirs -- no one staging a house would use that stuff. Why do people with that much money furnish a house like a dorm room?

@oviedo Do you think that BM's actions cause the Detectives on this case to want to get all of the evidence together more quickly? Thanks!

I’ve followed The last few CO cases and I’m convinced they collected what was necessary I’ve never thought her body was on the property (I’m the wood chipper theory person) but I do believe this listing may cause a new press release in the next week possibly
JMO

Thanks - I am heading back there to review. I kind of recall seeing that discussion and leaving it still puzzled as to if the guardianship transfer to CO was definitively a ‘done deal’.
I think I found the answer. Posted by oviedo back on September 1st:

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

2017 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 15 - Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries :: Colorado Probate Code :: Article 14.5 - Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act
I think it will extend to CO....
JMO”
[]
From the link above:
2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 15 - Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries
Colorado Probate Code
Article 14.5 - Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act
Part 3 - Transfer of Guardianship or Conservatorship
§ 15-14.5-301. Transfer of guardianship or conservatorship to another state

Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 15-14.5-301 (2017)
(1) A guardian or conservator appointed in this state may petition the court to transfer the guardianship or conservatorship to another state.

(2) Notice of a petition under subsection (1) of this section must be given to the persons that would be entitled to notice of a petition in this state for the appointment of a guardian or conservator.

(3) On the court's own motion or on request of the guardian or conservator, the incapacitated or protected person, or other person required to be notified of the petition, the court shall hold a hearing on a petition filed pursuant to subsection (1) of this section.

(4) The court shall issue an order provisionally granting a petition to transfer a guardianship and shall direct the guardian to petition for guardianship in the other state if the court is satisfied that the guardianship will be accepted by the court in the other state and the court finds that:

(a) The incapacitated person is physically present in or is reasonably expected to move permanently to the other state;

(b) An objection to the transfer has not been made or, if an objection has been made, the objector has not established that the transfer would be contrary to the interests of the incapacitated person; and

(c) Plans for care and services for the incapacitated person in the other state are reasonable and sufficient.

(5) The court shall issue a provisional order granting a petition to transfer a conservatorship and shall direct the conservator to petition for conservatorship in the other state if the court is satisfied that the conservatorship will be accepted by the court of the other state and the court finds that:

(a) The protected person is physically present in or is reasonably expected to move permanently to the other state, or the protected person has a significant connection to the other state considering the factors in section 15-14.5-201 (2);

(b) An objection to the transfer has not been made or, if an objection has been made, the objector has not established that the transfer would be contrary to the interests of the protected person; and

(c) Adequate arrangements will be made for management of the protected person's property.

(6) The court shall issue a final order confirming the transfer and terminating the guardianship or conservatorship upon its receipt of:

(a) A provisional order accepting the proceeding from the court to which the proceeding is to be transferred which is issued under provisions similar to section 15-14.5-302; and

(b) The documents required to terminate a guardianship or conservatorship in this state.

2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 15 - Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries
Colorado Probate Code
Article 14.5 - Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act
Part 4 - Registration and Recognition of Orders From Other States
§ 15-14.5-401. Registration of guardianship orders

Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 15-14.5-401 (2017)
If a guardian has been appointed in another state and a petition for the appointment of a guardian is not pending in this state, the guardian appointed in the other state, after giving notice to the appointing court of an intent to register, may register the guardianship order in this state by filing as a foreign judgment in a court, in any appropriate county of this state, certified copies of the order and letters of office.

§ 15-14.5-402. Registration of protective orders
Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 15-14.5-402 (2017)
If a conservator has been appointed in another state and a petition for a protective order is not pending in this state, the conservator appointed in the other state, after giving notice to the appointing court of an intent to register, may register the protective order in this state by filing as a foreign judgment in a court of this state, in any county in which property belonging to the protected person is located, certified copies of the order and letters of office and of any bond.

§ 15-14.5-403. Effect of registration
Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 15-14.5-403 (2017)
(1) Upon registration of a guardianship or protective order from another state, the guardian or conservator may exercise in this state all powers authorized in the order of appointment except as prohibited under the laws of this state, including maintaining actions and proceedings in this state and, if the guardian or conservator is not a resident of this state, subject to any conditions imposed upon nonresident parties.

(2) A court of this state may grant any relief available under this article and other law of this state to enforce a registered order.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.........the Zillow listing has zero indoor pictures, the outside ones are not flattering, and very little description of amenities.
The link provides the statewide Multiple Listing Service website, and it's not on Multiple Listing.
Prank, perhaps?
IMO
Search for Homes | Pinon Real Estate

That is odd as I saw quite a few indoor shots. Are we looking at a different link or maybe they removed them?

For Sale listing was removed from Zillow and RedFin, but currently still an active 'for sale' listing on Realtor.

Even though Zillow removed the listing, it did restore the old info we saw months ago -- and the 35 pics, including interior:
19057 Puma Path, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow

AHA! This is what I was referring to and saw. I thought I was losing my mind LOL:p!

As I like to say, “always judge a book by its cover.” The realtor apparently feels the same way, which is why there are only exterior shots in this listing.

My guess is that’s Barry’s doing.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that Barry’s financial picture isn’t as rosy as it initially appeared to be.
I see interior photos.

I agree with previous posters - I think BM likes to keep up appearances and SM likely was unaware of the true financial situation IMO.

I find it odd that they moved to CO when BM had an established business in IN and a wife that was just diagnosed with cancer? I guess maybe they wanted to enjoy the mountains while they could in case she couldn't later on?

But I can't imagine you'd get to keep your same health insurance crossing state lines? Mounting medical bills could possibly have been a stressor? And maybe a source of resentment? All speculation, MOO.

Missing woman’s house for sale in Chaffee County | FOX21 News Colorado

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The home of a missing Chaffee County woman is now up for sale, less than five months since she was last seen.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, was reported missing on Mother’s Day – May 10. She had reportedly left her house alone for a bike ride and never returned. Her bike was recovered less than a half a mile away later that the same day, her family has told FOX21 News.

A Zillow realtor confirmed that the Morphew family home was put on the market on Monday. The 3-bedroom home, located on Puma Path in Maysville, was listed on Zillow and Redfin at $1,759,000. According to the assessor’s office, the home was sold to the Morphews in April of 2018, they were the second homeowners.

In the weeks and months following Suzanne’s disappearance, law enforcement agencies executed two search warrants at the Maysville home, a judge has ordered those documents sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes