Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But but you just told me I probably won't get it?!? lol I live in a community with one of the fastest growing Indian Asian communities. If it's spreading in India and we don't cut off flights then it will end up here. I also have a medical condition requiring me to regularly go to a hospital and hospital lab. I'm pretty darn worried about that.

I know nothing is near me yet...that I know of. I'm just one of those people always looking towards the future and worrying about negative scenarios. Life long anxiety here. I don't live in an isolated rural community. I live somewhere primed to explode if it ends up here. And most everything I was reading last night seemed to indicate they admit they've lost control over this. :/

IDK
beatrixpotter

I kinda got this 'everything gonna be alright" feeling.
No premonitions, no foreshaddowing.

(knock wood?)

Lengthy article lots of detail.
Feb 11 2020
The coronavirus cruise ship quarantine is a scary public health experiment
''It’s a hypochondriac’s worst nightmare and a startling public health crisis: The largest coronavirus outbreak outside of mainland China is currently floating in Japanese waters, on a cruise ship owned by Princess Cruises.

The outbreak was first detected when an 80-year-old passenger tested positive for the virus on February 1, a week after disembarking in Hong Kong. By February 4, the remaining 3,700 passengers and crew of the Diamond Princess — currently docked at the port city of Yokohama, Japan — were asked to stay on the ship under quarantine orders.

Since then, the number of passengers and crew aboard the Diamond Princess infected with the virus — known as COVID-19 — has surged to 135. While those who’ve tested positive are allowed to leave the ship for treatment, the rest have to remain there until at least February 19.''

''The quarantine is supposed to end on February 19, according to Princess Cruises, “unless there are any other unforeseen developments.” So it’s not yet clear whether it will end then. And that’s a source of worry for reasons we’ll get to next.

2) Could the quarantine lead to more coronavirus infections?
Doctors and health researchers are increasingly dubious of this quarantine for exactly that reason. “They’ve basically trapped a bunch of people in a large container with virus,” said University of Toronto epidemiology professor David Fisman, over email. “So [I’m] assuming ‘quarantine’ is generating active transmission.”

For the same reason, Michael Mina, another epidemiologist at Harvard University, called the quarantine unethical on Twitter:''

''Their concern is driven by the details emerging from the ship, which paint an alarming portrait. According to a must-read New York Times report, as of February 10, Japanese officials had only tested 439 of the 3,700 passengers onboard for the coronavirus, citing shortages of testing supplies. This means that at least a fraction of the remaining thousands onboard may have the virus and not know it.

Among those who’ve tested positive recently are 10 crew members, “And according to employees, the infected crew members identified on Sunday had been eating in the mess hall alongside their co-workers,” the Times reports.''

I just caught up on the 10 pages I'd not read today in this thread. This is causing me so much anxiety. I left the coronavirus update groups on social media because they are just so hysterical. This thread is the best for reasoned discussion and good articles. But it's clear things are getting worse. I am a worst case scenario kind of person.

I'm struggling with limited budget to stock up on food and supplies. I am not waiting till the last minute to buy things. No way am I watching the Pandemic series on Netflix. I assume that will just make my anxiety way worse. This is a nightmare. I'm just assuming it's drastically under diagnosed. And wtf is China doing not counting those who test positive but don't have symptoms?? But they'll toss you in an internment camp just for exposure? But no biggie if you test positive? This makes no sense.

I hope Trump is right. I feel like I'm on edge just holding out for hope that spring arrives and we aren't all left in some horrible situation like in Wuhan ourselves. I thought containment was our best hope and now they are saying it's basically impossible? It was nice knowing you all! lol

In these situations, it's always best for the President to follow the advice of medical/public health experts. Physicians, pathologists, epidemiologists, etc. are the experts whose advice should be followed first and foremost. There are established, peer-reviewed protocols for dealing with these situations and no good leader should abandon them or take short cuts without expert advice.

I don't understand the rationale for cutting federal funding for the CDC and assistance to the WHO. It boggles the mind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...D1zoaf58U5-7sUfeA&_hsmi=83183455&utm_campaign

What We're Reading: Proposed Budget Cuts; Alzheimer Treatment Fails; CDC Confirms 13th US Coronavirus Case

UK:
The Cornerstone Community Cafe in Brighton remains closed after it emerged one of the latest coronavirus cases attended a yoga class there. One of the web of people infected with the virus through businessman Steve Walsh had taken part in a Yoga For Runners course at the community centre on Hove’s Church Road.

_________

SCOTLAND:
The number of people in Scotland tested for coronavirus has doubled in 48 hours. Statistics published by the Scottish Government on Tuesday afternoon show 82 people in Scotland have been tested and all returned negative results.

Scotland’s Chief Medical Officer said while there have been no confirmed cases north of the border so far there is a “high likelihood” a patient will test positive for the disease in future.

Coronavirus: two UK prisoners being tested as vaccine could be ready in 18 months – latest news

Sky News can confirm two male prisoners are being tested for suspected coronavirus at HMP Bullingdon in Oxfordshire.

A prison would not be the greatest for an outbreak at all

Two UK prisoners being tested for coronavirus

Two prisoners are being tested for coronavirus in Oxfordshire. The men, who are inmates at HMP Bullingdon, near Bicester, are being kept in isolation.

One wing where the affected prisoners are has restricted access, but the prison remains operational.

Public Health England is on site to help manage the situation.

Coronavirus: two UK prisoners being tested as vaccine could be ready in 18 months – latest news

18 MONTHS?!?!?

Which is unbelievable that they can develop and get into the marketplace that quickly. Which, if it is indeed a season type "flu type" that "disapears" in warmer weather.. means that folks have time to work on treatments for next year based on studies of treatments that they are doing right now under the compassionate exemptions in the US and all over.

18 months compared to normal time frame with FDA in US and other timeframes world wide is extraordinary MOO. Yep, it appears the world is ackowledging that this will be an exemption to the norm for a vaccine

It takes a long time to develop a new vaccine – usually between 10 and 15 years. Vaccines go through many phases of development – including research, discovery, pre-clinical testing, clinical testing (which can take up to seven years) and regulatory approval. MOO

Livestream.
''Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott and Toronto Mayor John Tory hold a news conference following their meeting in Toronto. Earlier in the day the health ministers toured the city's Sunnybrook Hospital, which cared for the patient who had Canada's first confirmed case of the new coronavirus. Seven cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Canada: three in Ontario and four in British Columbia.''

Birmingham Live is reporting that a British man who contracted coronavirus while on his honeymoon on a Japanese cruise ship expects to be released from hospital later this week.

Alan Steele, 58 and from Tettenhall in Wolverhampton, tested positive for the virus while on the Diamond Princess ship with his new wife Wendy. He posted on Facebook that had been symptom-free since he was moved to hospital last Thursday.

He said: Doctor has given me the set plan of action for my discharge and as long as I pass the tests I will be free on Friday. Would have been Thursday but Japan on holiday tomorrow so no one to do the test results. Heard bad news on more cases on ship but possible good news is all will now be tested so if you’re free of virus they should let you go.

Thousands of people have been ordered into quarantine in the Chinese city of Tianjin after a cluster of new coronavirus cases were linked to one department store.

Nearly a third of the 102 new patients in Tianjin worked or shopped at a department store in the Baodi district, or had close contact with employees or customers.

The authorities said those customers would be quarantined, and the department store would be sealed and disinfected.

The Chinese financial news website Caixin is reporting on new research which suggests that the incubation period for the coronavirus is as long as 24 days rather than the previously believed 14 days.

The study – which is based on data gathered from more than 1,000 coronavirus patients in China – also found that fewer than half of the patients showed fever symptoms when they first saw doctors.

The researchers from Chinese hospitals and medical schools found that relying on signs of fever to identify the virus in its early stages could result in large numbers of infected people going undiscovered. Fever occurred in just 43.8% of patients, but later developed in 87.9% following hospitalization.

The Church of England could suspend the sharing of chalices during communion because of coronavirus.

The church is “monitoring the situation closely and taking advice from the relevant medical authorities”, James Newcome, bishop of Carlisle, told the C of E’s ruling body, the general synod, meeting in London.

He reminded the synod that during the 2009 swine flu pandemic, the church advised clergy to suspend chalice sharing and urged churches to post notices about hygiene.

“If the situation continues to get worse, that sort of [advice] will certainly be issued,” he said.

Thanks for doing that for us and thanks to so many others for helping provide accurate news and articles.

One suggestion I heard about the Diamond Princess cruise ship that makes so much more sense than what they are currently doing.

Instead of keeping all on board to potentially be infected by others, why dont they test everyone and those who test negative should get to be released and be free from danger.

Sure makes more sense than keeping them all locked on the ship to maybe catch it. Like all the small children where the parents are worried their kids will catch it.

From what I've read, they only tested a relatively small number of people on the ship and have been slowly working through those tests?

Despite the passengers being restricted mostly to quarters, they are still in a flux situation, where a person that tested positive might have passed it onto their cabin-mate who hasn't yet got enough viral load to test positive, but they might in a few more days.

Technically, what is really needed is two clear tests about fourteen days after last contact with a confirmed case. And some of the people on the ship last had contact with a confirmed case less than fourteen days ago.

Well good luck to people on board the Princess as I can not see them being allowed off anytime soon.

It would be totally Suicidal to let them off when new cases are constantly being found on board.

It totally sucks for them and must be absolutely horrendous being stuck on there but they can not be allowed off when they can be harboring this illness.

IMO
MOO

Birmingham Live is reporting that a British man who contracted coronavirus while on his honeymoon on a Japanese cruise ship expects to be released from hospital later this week.

Alan Steele, 58 and from Tettenhall in Wolverhampton, tested positive for the virus while on the Diamond Princess ship with his new wife Wendy. He posted on Facebook that had been symptom-free since he was moved to hospital last Thursday.

He said: Doctor has given me the set plan of action for my discharge and as long as I pass the tests I will be free on Friday. Would have been Thursday but Japan on holiday tomorrow so no one to do the test results. Heard bad news on more cases on ship but possible good news is all will now be tested so if you’re free of virus they should let you go.

BBM

So I don’t understand this: If they test the cruise ship passengers and let them leave the ship if they test negative- while some others on board are testing positive- there is no way to know if the “negative patients” were actually exposed to the virus from the ones testing positive. Could they not still just be in the incubation period?

If you have merely acquired the virus, do you immediately test positive? Or does “incubation period” only mean the time to symptoms?

Clearly the virus is making it’s way through the cruise ship, as more and more people are testing positive and becoming symptomatic. This “14 day quarantine” is smoke and mirrors as far as I can see based on the data. MOO.

18 MONTHS?!?!?

I'd expect he's referring to mass produced vaccine to cover the majority of the global population? I would have thought much lower numbers of vaccine could be produced before then, but it would initially be restricted to limited human testing in very close contacts of confirmed cases, and then go out from there to do ring vaccination while still developing mass supplies to cover the sort of numbers who take the yearly flu vaccination (in the UK that's mostly people who are likely to be more susceptible, carers, etc) and keep making the vaccine in case total global vaccination is necessary.

But another thing to consider is whether the first year's vaccine will be effective in later years (if Covid-19 returns for more seasonal outbreaks).

That name sounds like something out of a futuristic sci-fi disaster movie :( (Sorry, but doesn't it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnjackson971@