Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of 2 of today's WHO presser

Q&A cont'd

Q. Doubts about the testing as so many negatives then positive. A. No dx test is foolproof, especially when the tests are so new. There are many programs and others around the world especially when test are new there is a chance of a false positive or false negative someone who’s told they are positive when they don’t have the virus or vice versa so it is an important consideration. That’s why it’s an important consideration and that’s why clinical suspicions and intention to the diagnosis is always very important e.g. if there’s an epidemiologic link with a previous case and if the person is extremely ill and you have a negative test you would always retest that patient. And there are reference labs. Especially where countries are testing for the first time we ask that the countries share the first 100 samples with a reference lab so that we can validate their testing protocols. So there are a lot of checks and balances in place. We rely on common sense, no test if foolproof.

Q. Reports of infected passengers on Diamond Princess, 100 more today, what can you do? A. What is clear is that the infection prevention and control measures are difficult to implement in a ship environment because there are a number of factors that are very difficult to put under control and we have seen this on many other occasions for other infections like norovirus. It’s not specific therefore for COVID-19. And that’s why we are working with Japanese folks and cruise ship doc to protect the passengers and STICK TO OUR PRIMARY OBJECTIVE WHICH IS CONTAINMENT OF THIS VIRUS. We need to focus on our primary health objective which is to contain the virus, and not the people making sure we have the right balance of protecting the population in not only Japan and other countries but also the health of the people on this boat. It’s very difficult as there are many unknowns for this virus. We learn more every day and every hour about this virus. Thanks to the owners of the Princess and the Westerdam for being so open

Q. WHO daily updates… should media be reporting lab or clinically confirmed cases A. We will report both numbers. We will be working with China to see if they will continue to report both numbers going forward on a daily basis.

Q. re video bloggers being arrested/quarantined.. are you prepared to address with China re this A. We always encourage openness, when we get misinformation our job is not to go after people who release that, our job is to put out good information and give people the best information. It’s not about going after the messenger. And we do encourage openness and transparency at all levels. It is the best way for public health to do it’s job and it doesn’t matter what country you are in or what level you represent. And as with the ships, we have to balance the public and common good against the rights of the individual and sometimes that’s a very difficult balance to strike. And that has been historical, and we’ve seen that in 1918 pandemic when the governments including your own (forgot which country was asking this question ?) and the US had to make some very difficult decisions about quarantine and information and that’s something that you can’t ignore. It’s important for all governments to balance the good of society and the community against the rights of individuals to openly communicate

Q. re protecting rights of individuals, too early to talk re travel ban on cruise ships? A. There is no zero risk , we need to manage risks. They are manageable risks and focus vast majority are in China. Even Attack rate in Hubei is 4/100,000 persons at this time. This is a very serious outbreak and has the potential to grow, yet we need to balance that. Outside Hubei, this is affecting a very very very very tiny amount. Where do we stop, we need to be based on principle. There is no zero risk. Measure should be proportional and the situation based on public health science and evidence and blanket measures may not help.

I don't think the Japanese are necessarily 'less competent' than our doctors...just saying.

I think Japanese medicine and hospitals are very efficient. Their healthcare system is far far better than ours for providing affordable care. And they are very high-tech.

For example, in researching about CT scan availabily, I found out that Japan has the highest rate of CT scanners per population - almost 4X the rate of the US.

If it were me, I'd probably want to be in a high-level medical center in my home country where there would not be a written or spoken language barrier and my family and close friends could be closer so they could have better communication with my healthcare providers. It's not a matter of competency or technology.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? Allowed to infect other passengers and crew?

Diamond Princess: "After consultation with HHS officials, including experts from the HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, the State Department made the decision to allow the 14 individuals, who were in isolation, separated from other passengers, and continued to be asymptomatic, to remain on the aircraft to complete the evacuation process," the agencies said.

I know, it's unbelievably fabulous that the United States was prepared to re-home those that were positive by having an isolation chamber on board, with a separate entrance to the airplane for it's citizens so that during the flight they were isolated as they used a DOD contracted BIOCONTAINMENT plane on this trip. Kudos to the US for planning for such! They fell outside of Japan restriction at the time they got into US possession, I'm so pleased!

Quarantineonboard.JPG

I know, it's unbelievably fabulous that the United States was prepared to re-home those that were positive by having an isolation chamber on board, with a separate entrance to the airplane for it's citizens so that during the flight they were isolated as they used a DOD contracted BIOCONTAINMENT plane on this trip. Kudos to the US for planning for such! They fell outside of Japan restriction at the time they got into US possession, I'm so pleased!

View attachment 232650
I agree! Almost like they knew that everyone hadn't been adequately tested. 14 didn't just magically become positive when they crossed over......

Yes, totally against the original plan given by the US Embassy to the US passengers on the cruise ship. The American, Matthew Smith, who did not go off the ship, said this was his reason to stay and finish their quarantine on Wednesday. He said he believed they would be on a plane with people who had the disease and he didn't want to risk that. He wants to finish the quarantine period on the ship, be tested, then allowed to leave. He is willing to stay in Japan, but be free to be in a hotel and sight see. I think the situation/news is fluid from day/hour to day/hour. He has been told as of yesterday, that the quarantine will end on Wednesday. But before they are allowed to leave, they will be tested, and will have to wait until the tests come back. If negative, they can leave. However, with all these new cases, Japan may simply not know what to do, and may want them to continue to be quarantined?

MOO

MOO he is relaying incorrect information. The US Embassy told them in emails that this may be their last chance... and would not be allowed back into US at least until March if he didn't come.... and if he has the idea that he's going to be left off and sight see in Japan, what kool aid is he drinking and sharing with the media?

About 40 years ago, I needed cash, and volunteered for a cold medicine test. They tested every volunteer, half were infected with a rhinovirus, the other half were "receptors", and given meds to not catch the cold.

We were paid be in a room with everyone for two days, 16 hours, to play games, like Yahtzee, for a whole weekend. 4 people at a table, half infected, half not infected.

Fed lots of food. It was not worth the money to me, I was given the cold, and was sick as a dog.

Not sure how they decided who was a "receptor", we had blood tests, all sorts of tests. And I was paid $500, cash, which paid for a full semester of college tuition back then.

But some people never caught the virus. Not sure what they found out from the tests. They called me for more tests, I told them to forget it.

Oh my gosh! I read that article within the last three days. I was amazed that they allowed folks to be infected like that. I'll post here just for you if I can quickly find. Also, did they make you sleep less/more during that study...iirc it was also related to some of the "guinea pigs" having less sleep... lemee see if I can find.

I'm also wondering why both of the planes planes landed at Eppley in Omaha this morning but apparently only 7 passengers got off the second plane to be taken to UNMC. The planes landed in the US at different locations, did they both take off from Japan with infected passengers?

ETA this article shows the interior of one of the planes. I believe the white box might be the isolation?

Isolation chambers are installed on planes bringing 340 Americans back from Diamond Princess | Daily Mail Online

MOO

Of note: Kalitta Air, whose planes that are contracted by the US Department of Defense and structured for Biocontainment/medivac etc... is based in Omaha Nebraska. Probably they are now returning to home base. I'm sure it was $$$ for the US government to contract, but that is what it's for. Now.. off to decontaminate I would assume those double decker planes (pilots up top never interact with passengers... it's a biggggg plane) Both planes flight paths out from Tokoyo were posted yesterday upthread.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! I read that article within the last three days. I was amazed that they allowed folks to be infected like that. I'll post here just for you if I can quickly find. Also, did they make you sleep less/more during that study...iirc it was also related to some of the "guinea pigs" having less sleep... lemee see if I can find.

I signed up for almost any of those paid tests, I went to the University of Utah, and BYU, where there is tons of medical research going on all of the time.

Poor university students are ripe picking for studies. We all need cash.

After that one, I stopped the medical tests. I was too sick. And couldn't go to my other job.

But, I wonder if they found out what made people catch colds, as opposed to the ones who didn't catch the cold. I think that they were testing interferon.

Interferon - Wikipedia

View attachment 232650

I keep wondering why only the attendant has reasonable eye protection.

(Reading glasses don't count).

There are any number of very comfortable face masks that could be worn with a mask to provide additional droplet protection.

I agree! Almost like they knew that everyone hadn't been adequately tested. 14 didn't just magically become positive when they crossed over......

I think they could predict that there was a high likelihoood that there would be people testing positive.

I'm also guessing the preliminary test results went instantly directly to US authorities for this planning and the test were then repeated to confirm so they could be assured of configuring the plane correctly.

MOO he is relaying incorrect information. The US Embassy told them in emails that this may be their last chance... and would not be allowed back into US at least until March if he didn't come.... and if he has the idea that he's going to be left off and sight see in Japan, what kool aid is he drinking and sharing with the media?

Yeah, I had an involuntary eye-roll at his comment about sight-seeing. The last thing Japanese authorities are going to allow is him to roam independently all over the place.

And I think he'll be paying for his extended "holiday" on his own dime, not at the largess of the US Goverment.

Coronavirus: Chinese media reports Head of Wuhan has died | Daily Mail Online

• Wuhan health official claimed Liu Zhiming of Wuchang Hospital died today
  • The spokesperson then said the hospital director was still 'being resuscitated'
  • The same situation happened to Dr Li Wenliang, a whistle-blower of the virus
  • Web users accused authorities of covering up Dr Li's death to avoid criticism
  • Last Friday, a 59-year-old nurse from Wuchang Hospital died of the disease
  • COVID-19 has claimed at least 1,775 lives and infected more than 71,440 globally
okay....:(:rolleyes:

I think they could predict that there was a high likelihoood that there would be people testing positive.

I'm also guessing the preliminary test results went instantly directly to US authorities for this planning and the test were then repeated to confirm so they could be assured of configuring the plane correctly.

Excellent observation! I bet you are right!

miss my :happydance: emoticon as that's how I feel about them doing such for the citizens. I'm over the moon that they did this, and IIRC when I was watching live, one of the planes that took off and I thought was one of the two.. poof! ..they replaced with another one. Just wow!

Ha! That plane trip would cost how many hundreds of thousands of dollars to the US government... So thankful for Kalitta Air :happydance: that they brought them back to be treated at facilities that aren't 4 hours away from ship (which 2 days ago folks are being taken to now) as the local ones are overwhelmed already...

jeeezzz, just the passengers on the ship overwhelm health care compared to the numbers in Wuhan settles in.

Today's WHO daily presser. I'm headed out so won't be here to transcribe in real time today. Was supposed to start live at 10:00 am, yet feed has not started at 10:03. Often they are late.

Fast notes from todays' WHO presser who prefer to read vs. listening, this is part 1 of 2...

Presser notes:

Dr. Tedras is back. He begins…

70,630 inf. 1,792 deaths to date (missed it, think he said in China)

94% continue to come from Hubei

We are starting to get a clearer picture, and where it is headed

Today China has published paper on 44,000 COVID-19 infections. This gives us better information of age range of people infected, the severity of the disease, and the mortality rate. As such, enabling WHO to give good advice to countries. The data appeared to show a decline in new cases. This trend must be evaluated very cautiously. This can change as new populations are infected. It’s too early to know if this reported decline will continue. Every scenario is still on the table. It appears that this virus is not as deadly as MERS and SARS. More than 80% have mild disease. In 14% causes pneumonia and shortness of breath. 5% have critical issues such as respiratory failure, septic shock and multi-organ failure. 2% the virus is fatal, and risk of death increases the older you are. We see few cases among children. More research is needed to understand why. Our team is working to close information gaps. We are working night and day to prepare other countries. Test kits and PPE’s we are sending out to them, working with manufacturers, training health care workers, providing advice to countries on how to do screening, testing, contact tracing and treatment. And calling out for $675 million to help countries with resources to ensure they are prepared. We don’t know how long this window of opportunity will remain open. Let’s not squander it.

Q&As

Q. On WHO risk assessment, should we still call it endemic? A. Yes, we need to be extremely cautious in calling it a pandemic. We had a lot of conversation with H1N1 of when it was/was not pandemic and I think we need to be careful. The real issue is if we’re seeing efficient community transmission outside of China, and at the present time, we are not observing that, and as such, we’re not in a position to have that discussion as what we are seeing is that most cases have a direct link back to China and of those outside of China, we can trace back to existing transmission chains.

Q. Any updates on the WHO team meeting with China A. Have had series of meetings with Chinese and emanate experts working side by side. In last 72 hours laying out what are outstanding questions, what we know, what we don’t know and what is the best way as to how to access what we don’t know. The team will then go to provinces to see on the ground that work together. This is a collaboration.

Q. It was reported estimate that this virus could infect 2/3 of the world population. A. Many people can express views of unlikely scenarios and many estimates of R0 and all of that is important for looking at possible scenarios. All predictions are important, most predictions are wrong, and I think we need to be careful.

Q. Re China calling on previous infected patients for using plasma from recovered folks, is this good option? A. The use of convalescent plasma or hyperimmune globulin has been part of treatment of the severe infectious diseases going back almost to the beginning of when we understood viral infections. We have seen it in rabies, we have seen it in other infections. And it has been proven to be life saving in a number of diseases, diphtheria being most recent where we use a similar approach. It is a very important area to pursue, and we will need to look at how it’s used, which patients are most likely to benefit from it’s use, when during the course of the illness it would be beneficial because what hyper immune globulin does is it is concentrates the antibodies in a recovered patient and what you are doing is essentially giving the victims immune system a boost of antibodies to get them through a very difficult phase so it must be given at the right time because it mops up the virus in the system and it just gives this the patients’ immune system this vital push at the time it needs it but it has to be carefully timed and not always successful. It’s a very valid way of experimental therapeutics especially when we don’t have therapeutics or antivirals. The protocol is very important as you could transfer other diseases and well as scaling up how much is used as it’s very difficult to produce so needs to be carefully assessed before we use it widely.

Part 2 of 2 of today's WHO presser

Q&A cont'd

Q. Doubts about the testing as so many negatives then positive. A. No dx test is foolproof, especially when the tests are so new. There are many programs and others around the world especially when test are new there is a chance of a false positive or false negative someone who’s told they are positive when they don’t have the virus or vice versa so it is an important consideration. That’s why it’s an important consideration and that’s why clinical suspicions and intention to the diagnosis is always very important e.g. if there’s an epidemiologic link with a previous case and if the person is extremely ill and you have a negative test you would always retest that patient. And there are reference labs. Especially where countries are testing for the first time we ask that the countries share the first 100 samples with a reference lab so that we can validate their testing protocols. So there are a lot of checks and balances in place. We rely on common sense, no test if foolproof.

Q. Reports of infected passengers on Diamond Princess, 100 more today, what can you do? A. What is clear is that the infection prevention and control measures are difficult to implement in a ship environment because there are a number of factors that are very difficult to put under control and we have seen this on many other occasions for other infections like norovirus. It’s not specific therefore for COVID-19. And that’s why we are working with Japanese folks and cruise ship doc to protect the passengers and STICK TO OUR PRIMARY OBJECTIVE WHICH IS CONTAINMENT OF THIS VIRUS. We need to focus on our primary health objective which is to contain the virus, and not the people making sure we have the right balance of protecting the population in not only Japan and other countries but also the health of the people on this boat. It’s very difficult as there are many unknowns for this virus. We learn more every day and every hour about this virus. Thanks to the owners of the Princess and the Westerdam for being so open

Q. WHO daily updates… should media be reporting lab or clinically confirmed cases A. We will report both numbers. We will be working with China to see if they will continue to report both numbers going forward on a daily basis.

Q. re video bloggers being arrested/quarantined.. are you prepared to address with China re this A. We always encourage openness, when we get misinformation our job is not to go after people who release that, our job is to put out good information and give people the best information. It’s not about going after the messenger. And we do encourage openness and transparency at all levels. It is the best way for public health to do it’s job and it doesn’t matter what country you are in or what level you represent. And as with the ships, we have to balance the public and common good against the rights of the individual and sometimes that’s a very difficult balance to strike. And that has been historical, and we’ve seen that in 1918 pandemic when the governments including your own (forgot which country was asking this question ?) and the US had to make some very difficult decisions about quarantine and information and that’s something that you can’t ignore. It’s important for all governments to balance the good of society and the community against the rights of individuals to openly communicate

Q. re protecting rights of individuals, too early to talk re travel ban on cruise ships? A. There is no zero risk , we need to manage risks. They are manageable risks and focus vast majority are in China. Even Attack rate in Hubei is 4/100,000 persons at this time. This is a very serious outbreak and has the potential to grow, yet we need to balance that. Outside Hubei, this is affecting a very very very very tiny amount. Where do we stop, we need to be based on principle. There is no zero risk. Measure should be proportional and the situation based on public health science and evidence and blanket measures may not help.

Yeah, I had an involuntary eye-roll at his comment about sight-seeing. The last thing Japanese authorities are going to allow is him to roam independently all over the place.

And I think he'll be paying for his extended "holiday" on his own dime, not at the largess of the US Goverment.
Actually, on his twitter, he shows the notices the ship has been sending passengers. They have written as of Feb 16th, that once you are testing and the test is negative, you will be allowed to leave the ship and no further testing is required per Japaneese Ministry. He says he knows there are doubters, but until he hears otherwise, he will believe what he is being told.

He also said that they had originally planned on spending time after the cruise in Tokyo before heading home. I understand he was not expecting the US Government to pay for anything. The cruise line has already said all cruise monies spent will be fully refunded, and the cruise has also said they would continue to assist the passengers in order to get home.

If Japan is going to quarantine them more, they still have the British on board as well as other passengers. IMO they have their hands full with other things, if you have tested negative, you're on your own.

Matthew Smith (@mjswhitebread) | Twitter
Matthew Smith on Twitter

MOO

https://nypost.com/2020/02/17/direc...oronavirus-outbreak-is-dead-from-the-illness/
liu-zhiming-73.jpg

Dr. Liu Zhiming Weibo
The director of a hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China, has died from the illness, according to a report.

Chinese police put a professor under house arrest, cut his internet, and kicked him off social media after he criticized Xi Jinping over the coronavirus
  • ''A Chinese professor who wrote a scathing essay criticizing President Xi Jinping's handling of the novel coronavirus was placed under house arrest and had his internet services cut, The Guardian reported, citing his friends.
  • After returning from his Chinese New Year holiday, Xu Zhangrun was put under house arrest, with several people patrolling the entrance of his home in Beijing.
  • Friends of the professor told The Guardian that Xu's social media accounts have either been removed or suspended.''
‘This may be the last piece I write’: prominent Xi critic has internet cut after house arrest
“I can now all too easily predict that I will be subjected to new punishments; indeed, this may well even be the last piece I write,” he wrote at the end of his latest essay.''

I know this article is a few days old, but I just heard this information on the radio this morning, so looked it up when I got home.

Illinois can conduct in-state coronavirus testing

Illinois Department of Public Health has the ability to conduct in-state testing for the novel coronavirus.

According to IDPH, Illinois is the first state to do the testing without sending specimens out-of-state. Test results should be available about 24 hours after the IDPH laboratory receives them.

I'm so saddened to hear about the death of Dr. Weibo, and an unnamed 59 year-old nurse, too. As if the death of Dr. Wenliang wasn't enough.

Dr. Wenliang, who first alerted authorities about the outbreak, was young and did not appear to have any of the risks associated with the COVID-19 fatalities. Likewise Dr. Weibo. It's just so sad and perplexing to read of the deaths of those fighting so hard for others.

We do have to remember that even infections with simple bacteria can have a high fatality rate. Even Streptoccous pneumoniae sepsis or pneumonia has a fatality rate of 20% and can kill young healthy individuals. Fortunately, there is a vaccine for this bacteria.

I keep feeling that the Chinese healthcare system has a punitive side that authorities control with suppression of dissonant information or opinions. I have faith in the CDC and I don't see the US participating in retaliatory or suppressive information. Thank goodness

Last edited:
Nurses' unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low
''The Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions is warning that the federal public health agency’s guidelines to protect front-line health-care workers from outbreaks of diseases like the novel coronavirus don’t go far enough, and might be putting them and patients at risk.''

''Linda Silas, president of the labour organization, says the safety protocols are inadequate compared to those in Ontario and some other countries.

Silas said the standards assume the coronavirus can’t spread through the air — rather than through droplets — but she contends the science isn’t settled on that front and the government should be taking greater care until they can be 100 per cent sure.

“When we do not know, we have to go for the best precautions for workers,” said Silas.

Nurses, doctors and other medical staff who come into contact with patients must be protected, not only for their own health but to stop the potential spread of the virus, she said.''

''Millions of dollars have been dispatched by governments around the world so global researchers can answer some of the lingering questions about the coronavirus, but until the science is settled lives could be saved by preparing for the worst-case scenario, Possamai said.

“That’s why I’m so passionate about this, and so concerned,” he said.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member