Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah if people aren’t going to contain themselves and “roll the dice” then I don’t know how we’re going to control this pandemic. I’ve said it before, other people are going to contribute to everyone else’s downfall.

Obviously people are not listening to anything. And it’s pathetic and angering and upsetting to see.

So everyone just go spread it around everywhere! It’s different if you HAVE to go to work, you take the precautions etc, but elective discussions to go roam around in the middle of a pandemic? Selfish, irresponsible, uninformed MOO.

Why do I even hope...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/778/223/942.jpg

College Basketball Invitational calls off tourney, could March Madness be next?

The College Basketball Invitational, one of the sport's four post-season championship tournaments, cancelled its competition on Wednesday, citing uncertainty about the coronavirus.

The tournament is on the third tier of men's college basketball competitions, behind the NCAA Tournament and National Invitation Tournament, and alongside the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

Organizers of the NCAA Tournament, widely known as March Madness, said earlier this week they're "consulting with public health officials ... and will make decisions in the coming days."

Coronavirus updates live: WHO declares COVID-19 disease to be a pandemic

Province reports four new travel-related COVID-19 cases, raising count to 41
''Province reports four new travel-related COVID-19 cases, raising count to 41''
''The hospital confirmed that the infected doctor worked at the cancer centre on the afternoon of March 9, "and saw patients and interacted with colleagues and staff."

"Those individuals are being contacted," officials in Hamilton said, later adding the process is underway on Wednesday and all patients will be ordered to enter into self-isolation.

She reportedly saw as many as 14 patients on the day she was diagnosed.

"This was very early in her illness and it's our hope that the risk to her patients is low," Dr. Barry Lumb of Hamilton Health Sciences said.

They said the doctor returned from Hawaii on March 7 and reported to hospital with symptoms on March 9.

Officials said her spouse is a doctor at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Toronto and he is being tested for possible infection.

A man in his 30s reported to Toronto Western Hospital with symptoms after returning from the United States.

Also a man in his 40s reported to Ottawa Hospital after returning from Austria with symptoms.

The cases also include a woman in her 30s who recently returned from Egypt and presented to Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill.

All four new patients were discharged and ordered to go into self-isolation.''

Are you going to take the cruise?

Your decision. I’m not going to tell you what to do. I can beg and advise, but certainly not make you or anyone else do anything.

You have been very very seriously lovingly and respectfully been warned my friend. You are playing with fire.

Back to the “P”C.
I agree O , please please we need you here :)

Can someone share some from this article? I guess I reached my limit of NYT articles I can access.

I’m way behind so someone may have done this already, but here are some excerpts from this NYT article published March 10 and updated today, March 11. I don’t have a subscription, but somehow I seem to have unlimited reading privileges. It’s pretty long, so I hope I’ve kept to the 10% rule...

Dr. Helen Y. Chu, an infectious disease expert in Seattle, knew that the United States did not have much time.

In late January, the first confirmed American case of the coronavirus had landed in her area. Critical questions needed answers: Had the man infected anyone else? Was the deadly virus already lurking in other communities and spreading?

As luck would have it, Dr. Chu had a way to monitor the region. For months, as part of a research project into the flu, she and a team of researchers had been collecting nasal swabs from residents experiencing symptoms throughout the Puget Sound region.

To repurpose the tests for monitoring the coronavirus, they would need the support of state and federal officials. But nearly everywhere Dr. Chu turned, officials repeatedly rejected the idea, interviews and emails show, even as weeks crawled by and outbreaks emerged in countries outside of China, where the infection began.

By Feb. 25, Dr. Chu and her colleagues could not bear to wait any longer. They began performing coronavirus tests, without government approval.

What came back confirmed their worst fear. They quickly had a positive test from a local teenager with no recent travel history. The coronavirus had already established itself on American soil without anybody realizing it.
<snip>
Federal and state officials said the flu study could not be repurposed because it did not have explicit permission from research subjects; the labs were also not certified for clinical work. While acknowledging the ethical questions, Dr. Chu and others argued there should be more flexibility in an emergency during which so many lives could be lost. On Monday night, state regulators told them to stop testing altogether.

The failure to tap into the flu study, detailed here for the first time, was just one in a series of missed chances by the federal government to ensure more widespread testing during the early days of the outbreak, when containment would have been easier. Instead, local officials across the country were left to work in the dark as the crisis grew undetected and exponentially.
<snip>
Dr. Chu and Dr. Lindquist tried repeatedly to wrangle approval to use the Seattle Flu Study. The answers were always no.

“We felt like we were sitting, waiting for the pandemic to emerge,” Dr. Chu said. “We could help. We couldn’t do anything.”
<snip>
Summarizing: They went ahead anyway and started testing the swabs they had collected for their flu study. This is when they got a hit on the teenager mentioned earlier. So it was clear coronavirus had been present much earlier in the Seattle area. But they were told to stop. The scientists believe that if they had been allowed to continue, they could have stopped the spread of the disease in the area.

Much of the article details the mess the CDC made of testing. End of summary.
<snip>
Looking back, Dr. Chu said she understood why the regulations that stymied the flu study’s efforts for weeks existed. “Those protections are in place for a reason,” she said. “You want to protect human subjects. You want to do things in an ethical way.”

The frustration, she said, was how long it took to cut through red tape to try to save lives in an outbreak that had the potential to explode in Washington State and spread in many other regions. “I don’t think people knew that back then,” she said. “We know it now.”
BBM

‘It’s Just Everywhere Already’: How Delays in Testing Set Back the U.S. Coronavirus Response

The novel coronavirus spreading across the globe is “10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu,” the government’s top infectious disease official told a House hearing, where he warned the U.S. must take serious mitigation efforts now.

“Bottom line: It’s going to get worse,” National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee. “If we don’t do very serious mitigation now, what’s going to happen is we’re going to be weeks behind” in containing the spread.

Fauci said the U.S. must limit the influx of the virus from abroad and take steps to contain it domestically, including by restricting large gatherings such as sporting events.
Coronavirus is 10 times deadlier than seasonal flu, Fauci says

Population of US is 327 million. So approaching the possibility of half the country. I need a "horrified" emoji.

Well, it's really the 20% of people testing positive that we need to be giving medical treatments to.

So the good news is that we only need hospital beds for about 14,000,000 people

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

China got it right !

Let's get those empty auditoriums set up and ready as moderate-level treatment beds and leave the remaining ICU beds for the 3,000,000 severely ill.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

✔@petermarksdrama

14th Street N & R station, Wed. 1:45 PM. (NYC Subway)

ES2Jcf0WAAAFChI

Thank you.

Case in point:

"We're deeply concerned, both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction"
Head of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu, says "Covid-19 can be characterised as a pandemic"
Coronavirus confirmed as pandemic BBC News (World) on Twitter

Bump

“We're deeply concerned, both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction"
Head of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu, says "Covid-19 can be characterised as a pandemic"”

You’re preaching to the choir in this room, Doc T. Thanks for everything you guys at WHO are doing. You’re trying to warn and teach and encourage and help people and people just won’t listen. It’s a damn shame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member