Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I want our cleaning service to keep coming, as well. As long as the ladies are well, we will keep our distance and let them do their job. I don't want this local business to suffer due to COVID-19.

You may want to review that decision. Every person who you have contact with, increases your potential exposure to COVID19 by a power of 10. So, you are exposing yourself to who those people had contact with as well. That is how this virus has spread so quickly.

Just think about it.

F92F0B89-A481-41C7-A94B-CB702E0EC0DB.jpeg

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic

The Tucson Police Department released images of a man who was allegedly disguised as a delivery driver when he entered the El Rio Health Center on Friday just before 8pm.

Surveillance video shows the suspect leaving in what appears to be a reddish colored Dodge Charger or similar style vehicle.

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic | Daily Mail Online

I really hope they catch him.

#StayHomeSaveLives

so my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital again
he's had ongoing problems since last fall when he had a heart attack
one of his symptoms is its hard to catch his breath so of course I'm imagining the worst
the hospital said no one is allowed to visit him & they announced 6 new cases in my city yesterday - community spread is likely
he turns 90 this summer
~sigh~
is this the right thread for personal anecdotes? sorry if o/t

View attachment 239876

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic

The Tucson Police Department released images of a man who was allegedly disguised as a delivery driver when he entered the El Rio Health Center on Friday just before 8pm.

Surveillance video shows the suspect leaving in what appears to be a reddish colored Dodge Charger or similar style vehicle.

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic | Daily Mail Online

I really hope they catch him.

#StayHomeSaveLives

wow the scammers don't quit

so my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital again
he's had ongoing problems since last fall when he had a heart attack
one of his symptoms is its hard to catch his breath so of course I'm imagining the worst
the hospital said no one is allowed to visit him & they announced 6 new cases in my city yesterday - community spread is likely
he turns 90 this summer
~sigh~
is this the right thread for personal anecdotes? sorry if o/t
I'm so very sorry to read this. Keeping your Dad in my Prayers and you as well.

I am so torn on this. I scheduled for cleaning people to come tomorrow as usual and now I don't know whether to just pay them and not have them clean. I have gloves for them in case they don't have them. I suppose that I could wipe down the faucets, door knobs etc.. after they leave. I am so spoiled and have never been much of a housekeeper. What to do, What to do, What to do...

Do you have any outside work she could do? Maybe wash windows, or rake the lawn? Could she clean a part of the house where you don't need to live for a few days, the basement or garage, your car? Would she be able to clean one of the local businesses that have had to shut down, or a church that's closed? Can she work in the garden? I have the same torn feeling about my housekeeper coming this week, but she needs the money. I'll need to find safe work for her.

“‘Patient One,’ Super-spreader
When a 38-year-old man went to the emergency room at a hospital in Codogno, a small town in the Lodi province of Lombardy, with severe flu symptoms on Feb. 18, the case did not set off alarms.

The patient declined to be hospitalized and went home. He got sicker and returned to the hospital a few hours later and was admitted to a general medicine ward. On Feb. 20, he went into intensive care, where he tested positive for the virus.

The man, who became known as Patient One, had had a busy month. He attended at least three dinners, played soccer and ran with a team, all apparently while contagious and without heavy symptoms.

Mr. Ricciardi said Italy had the bad luck of having a super spreader in a densely populated and dynamic area who went to the hospital not once, but twice, infecting hundreds of people, including doctors and nurses.

“He was incredibly active,” Mr. Ricciardi said.

But he also had not had any direct contacts with China, and experts suspect he contracted the virus from another European, meaning Italy did not have an identifiable patient zero or a traceable source of contagion that could help it contain the virus.

The virus had already been active in Italy for weeks by that time, experts now say, passed by people without symptoms and often mistaken for a flu. It spread around Lombardy, the Italian region that has by far the most trade with China and the home of Milan, the country’s most culturally vibrant and business-centered city.”

[...]

“Who we call ‘Patient One’ was probably ‘Patient 200,’ ” said Fabrizio Pregliasco, an epidemiologist.

On Sunday, Feb. 23, the number of infections clicked past 130 and Italy sealed off 11 towns with police and military checkpoints. The last days of Venice Carnival were canceled. The Lombardy region closed its schools, museums and movie theaters. The Milanese made a run on the supermarkets.“

[...]

“As Lombardy officials scrambled to free up hospital beds, and the number of infected people rose to 309 with 11 dead, Mr. Conte said on Feb. 25 that “Italy is a safe country and probably safer than many others.”“

[...]

“”They were convinced that the situation was less serious and they did not want to hurt our economy too much,” said Mr. Fontana.“

[...]

“The government started providing some economic assistance, which would later be followed by a 25 billion euro ($28 billion) relief package, but the nation became divided between those who saw the threat and those who didn’t.

Ms. Zampa said that it was around that time that government learned that infections in the town of Vò, the virus epicenter of the Veneto region, had no epidemiological link to the Codogno outbreak.“

[...]

“In a surprise 2 a.m. news conference on March 8, when 7,375 people had already tested positive for coronavirus and 366 had died, Mr. Conte announced the extraordinary step of restricting movement for about a quarter of the Italian population in the northern regions that serve as the country’s economic engine.

“We are facing an emergency,” Mr. Conte said at the time. “A national emergency.”

A draft of the decree, leaked to Italian media on Saturday night, pushed many Milan residents to rush to the train station in crowds and attempt to leave the region, causing what many later considered a dangerous wave of contagion toward the south.“

[...]

“In the meantime, some regional governors independently ordered people coming from the newly locked-down area to self quarantine. Others didn’t.

The broader restrictions in Lombardy also effectively lifted the quarantine on Codogno and other “red zone” towns linked to the original outbreak. Checkpoints disappeared. Local mayors complained that their sacrifices had been wasted.

A day later, on March 9, when the positive cases reached 9,172 and the death toll climbed to 463, Mr. Conte toughened the restrictions and extended them nationally.

But by then, some experts say, it was already too late.”

[...]

“Italy is still paying the price of those early mixed messages by scientists and politicians. The people who have died in staggering numbers recently — more than 2,300 in the last four days — were mostly infected during the confusion of a week or two ago.

Roberto Burioni, a prominent virologist at the San Raffaele University in Milan, said that people had felt safe to go about their usual routines and he attributed the spike in cases last week to “that behavior.”“

-much more at link

Italy, Pandemic’s New Epicenter, Has Lessons for the World

60 Minutes Tonight 7 pm EST

Bill Whitaker reports on the race to develop a safe and effective drug and vaccine to treat COVID-19, this week on 60 Minutes.

--In the fight against COVID-19, old medicines are being re-purposed, new vaccines are emerging from government and commercial labs, and researchers around the world are studying some of the most promising drugs. Tonight: the race to treat or prevent COVID-19

--How is the Fed responding to the economic fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic? Scott Pelley talks with Neel Kashkari, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis

Finding a coronavirus vaccine and drug

March 15th (1:07)

Governor Andrew Cuomo tells 60 Minutes he "can't imagine" the nation’s biggest city with restrictions like Italy’s.

COVID-19: Will New York City be quarantined for coronavirus?

I am so torn on this. I scheduled for cleaning people to come tomorrow as usual and now I don't know whether to just pay them and not have them clean. I have gloves for them in case they don't have them. I suppose that I could wipe down the faucets, door knobs etc.. after they leave. I am so spoiled and have never been much of a housekeeper. What to do, What to do, What to do...
I wouldn't and here's why. Just within the last few pages I believe someone posted a report from Iceland, who has done more testing, proportionally speaking, than other countries. And they found that HALF of the people who have CV have no symptoms. Half! That means they are contagious but have no idea they are sick!

We need to all stay literally away from each other for a few months.

If you can afford to keep paying your service people, that's fabulous. I also recommend buying yourself (and others, if you can) gift certificates for restaurants and salons you want to help keep afloat -- you get your money's worth later, they get funds to help stay afloat now.

But we have got to keep the physical distance for now.

More on masks.

I will try and post the 2004 article later, but it concludes that even a surgical mask (which you see as the only resort for many hospital workers) is better than nothing. In other research, there are anecdotal reports that inserting a gauze pad or even a folded tissue under the surgical mask can make it more reusable.

If you have R95 masks, you probably have the "industrial" kind that's sold in paint stores. These are not as effective as medical R95 masks and are not easy to sanitize. However, you can keep them much cleaner by using a folded tissue, gauze or a mask cover made of any fabric but densely woven is best. People are using barrier cloth and marine canvas for this. You can also use a scarf or the neck of a turtleneck.

Placing a mask into the warm sun will kill the virus (I will leave it to more imaginative people to figure out whether to put the mask in a plastic bag or whatever for this - some people are using cloth bags and putting them in the drier for a few minutes, getting R95 masks damp or wet destroys their protective nature - they cannot be sprayed with anything) For surgical masks, apparently you can spray (but don't quote me). You can wear both kinds of masks at once, for better protection - however, our poor medical personnel are lacking both kinds of masks in many places. Making your own mask is the decent thing to do (from fabric) and those can be easily laundered and definitely diminish exposure.

There's been a run on HVAC filters from which many are making masks, but if you can find them, they are a good material for masks, especially when combined with fabric. Launder the fabric, obviously, use drier for the HVAC material.
For the elderly and compromised people, any protection is better than no protection at your run to the pharmacy or the store.

Kinda silly but...
Would it work?
20200322_161545.jpg 20200322_161555.jpg

I wouldn't and here's why. Just within the last few pages I believe someone posted a report from Iceland, who has done more testing, proportionally speaking, than other countries. And they found that HALF of the people who have CV have no symptoms. Half! That means they are contagious but have no idea they are sick!

We need to all stay literally away from each other for a few months.

If you can afford to keep paying your service people, that's fabulous. I also recommend buying yourself (and others, if you can) gift certificates for restaurants and salons you want to help keep afloat -- you get your money's worth later, they get funds to help stay afloat now.

But we have got to keep the physical distance for now.
That is what I am going to do. I am just going to pay them and not have them clean. Now I have to brave the store for toilet bowl cleaner etc...since they supplied their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noseynellie1234