Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 241880 View attachment 241881

US sets a grim global record with 1,497 virus dead in one day with almost half of those in NYC, as cases jump by 35,000 past 300,000 and deaths hit 8,500 as hospital corridors are littered with body bags

US sets a grim global record with 1,497 virus dead in one day with almost half of those in NYC | Daily Mail Online

I am really sorry for how much America is suffering. My heart breaks for every life lost.
My daughter and boyfriend live in NYC... .. I am talking to her quite seriously about leaving NYC when this is all over...... I do facetime with her constantly...but worry even more constantly. She said living with ambulance and police sirens 24 hours a day is truly is living in a war zone....

Our school system released a video production, yesterday. It starts with all elementary school, photo of events, daily activities and messages from teachers, singing and dancing. The middle school starts with scenes of social distancing, photos of events, teachers hand made sign messages of hope and inspiration. The high school teachers sing of virtual prom and graduation, again tons of photos, plays, band, sports.

The video ends with teachers singing many rewritten verses to "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands". My tears turned into sobs as these devoted teachers give hope to our students. It ends with one of our most favorite teachers, he's grown a beard, playing his guitar singing the original words of the song.

My heart just breaks for all the kids, parents, medical professionals, teachers, food workers, EVERYONE, all of us !!!
Beautiful idea. I may suggest this to my colleagues. Though I know some good things they’re already doing for the students. The principals as well.

I also know what a struggle it is for them all - teachers and students. I don’t envy them and am happy to already be retired from teaching, believe me, though I miss subbing and seeing them all. I sure am proud of my profession, as I am with so many others. Everyone is learning on the fly how to cope and give the best they can.

That's not exactly accurate.
" Antimalarial drugs can cause ventricular arrhythmias, QT prolongation, and other cardiac toxicity, which may pose particular risk to critically ill persons. Given these serious potential adverse effects, the hasty and inappropriate interpretation of the literature by public leaders has potential to do serious harm. "
Use of Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine During the COVID-19 Pandemic | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians
Why in heaven's name he treads into medical treatments is beyond belief.... there are already shortages (and hoarding) of this drug... so many people depend on it.

I don’t have a problem with a drug being used to see if it will help people who are in serious and life threatening situations under the care of medical professionals. My concern is about people believing it is a miracle cure based on positive statements an individual (who is not a doctor or medical expert) has said on tv and them potentially obtaining it online or by other means when they should not be taking it.
Of course! There are already shortages. We have had some articles/discussion here on WS of some other potential drugs that may help. i was doing research and truly want to follow that info---Primarily a vet medicine. I am cringing at the thought that heads of state will continue to broadcast potential drugs... and people will die trying...

While we are talking about drugs that might or might not work, something that would have worked is if everybody had access to PPE and was encouraged to wear it. Instead people were discouraged from wearing masks, and claims were made that masks would actually hurt you instead of helping. And look at how covid spread. It's a respiratory virus, it's blatantly obvious people should have been told to wear masks in public. But instead of encouraging people to wear masks, authorities actually discouraged poeple.
I'd say that's pretty upsetting.
I think the wearing of masks has been discouraged for several reasons. To ensure enough supplies for the health and emergency services. They are not convinced about the masks harbouring the virus if not changed frequently. People may be more likely to stay in without masks. They seem to be changing advice now by saying a home made mask or scarf is ok, so it must be about the scarcity of N95 masks. MOO.

I do apologize, I'm not seeing MSM coverage with his thanks and praise. Most of the news clips are complaints?

I am very sorry, if I've misjudged this governor or anyone from NY.

My governor, as others are working to prepare, its hard with limited supplies from FEMA.

We have volunteer first responders working without PPE. Yea, that makes me a little resentful. I was basing my opinion, NY not reciprocating to other states, as I've not seen them response to disaster in the SE. Maybe, they have sent help to hurricane areas, those in earthquakes, the fires in CA. Please, if they have helped thou neighbors in the US forgive me.

Moo...
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do get that all news from every state doesn't reach every other state. I thought that Cuomo's pressers where live, were available to anyone in the country. I encourage you to listen to him - to his compassion and thoughtfulness, to his professionalism and nonpartisanship, if possible. I look forward to hearing him everyday as he gives me hope, and not just for NY.

Here is something to answer some of your questions. And I bet there are more examples, IMO:

Governor Cuomo Deploys National Guard to Mississippi and Florida to Assist with Hurricane Michael Response and Recovery

New York Stands Ready with Specialized Response Teams, Personnel and Equipment

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York Air National Guard is preparing to deploy 75 Airmen from the 106th Rescue Wing to assist in the response to Hurricane Michael which is expected to come ashore on the Florida panhandle today. The Airmen from the 106th Rescue Wing, which is based at Gabreski Air National Guard Base in Westhampton Beach, will deploy to Gulfport, Mississippi with one HC-130 search and rescue aircraft, one HH-60 Pave Hawk Rescue helicopter and two Zodiac inflatable rescue boats. In addition, the New York Army National Guard is preparing to deploy two CH-47 Chinook heavy lift helicopters to Tallahassee, Florida from the Army Aviation Support Facility at Rochester International Airport with as many as 20 Soldiers in support.

"New York understands the devastation that extreme weather can cause, and we stand ready, willing and able to help the states impacted by Hurricane Michael," Governor Cuomo said. "New Yorkers are always ready to help those in need, and we are committed to providing personnel, equipment and teams to help our southern neighbors recover as quickly as possible."

Last edited:
This looks like statistics of those who tested positive. Not those who are seriously ill. There's no doubt young people have the virus but, fortunately, they don't seem to be becoming seriously ill from it and dying like they do from the flu.

Over 35 people at one hospital in our area have died from the virus. The majority were above the age of 59 with several being in their 40s, and several of them had no underlying conditions.

So while my age group is most likely the high risk group due to being elderly with some having underlying condition this virus is also viciously attacking those of younger age. And it's happening often in all states with deadly consequences even though many are in the younger age group.

It shows this virus doesnt discriminate nor is anyone safe just because they happen to be younger with no underlying conditions.

That is why it's so important for EVERYONE to socially distance no matter their age.

Jmho

It is true the ship would take major decontamination.
It needs to remain a "clean" environment, we plan to use this ship other places.

I wish the President would just bring her home, back to Virginia and reassign to an area that is grateful and can make use of this valuable resource.

NY wants what NY wants and will use any method to get things they way they want them.

Just wait, in 2 weeks when other states peak, we will NOT receive the support or resources as NY.

They will NEVER give up the ventilators, they will NOT send help to other states. They will hide behind the excuse....we're recovering, while we watch our friends and family die, as NY hordes.

Moo... Never in my life, of many disasters nationwide, have I heard the abuse of our President, military and aide the American people gave to NY. Yes, we the tax payers own those ventilators and the PPE sent to them!!! Many communites around the nation have sent nurses and doctors. How about a thank you? Not once have I heard the governor thank the American people for all the supplies/support being sent!!! WE paid for it ALL and will be doing without, as there is little left.

Moo...
I respectfully disagree with most of what you stated
I found it beautiful that Oregon stepped up and supplied some ventilators to NY. I found it interesting that China has donated a 1000 ventilators to Cuomo. It's how it should work, when a state or Country is in need because of a catastrophic event we should help each other out and pay it forward.
I don't see that happening in our federal government, I see greed and confusion I see Darwinism, survival of the fittest, move over and die so we can get on with our economy. Shameful, I am so ashamed .
This is why I thought it so beautiful of Oregon to donate and if when the need arises for them it will be repaid tenfold. I hope to see more generosity, humanity and compassion from our individual states and the world.
Jmo

That's not exactly accurate.
" Antimalarial drugs can cause ventricular arrhythmias, QT prolongation, and other cardiac toxicity, which may pose particular risk to critically ill persons. Given these serious potential adverse effects, the hasty and inappropriate interpretation of the literature by public leaders has potential to do serious harm. "
Use of Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine During the COVID-19 Pandemic | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians
Geez. My step-dad is on this and has heart rhythm issues to the extent he was scheduled to have his heart shocked. I’m going to tell my mom to call his doctors and ask if he should just get off this medication since they had to cancel the shock anyway because of coronavirus.

It is very generous donation and life saving.

I don't think any of us will ever see the ventilators sent to NY. These folks will on ventilators for 3, 4 weeks and many for the older ones for rest of their life. Once on life support and the patient is stable, legally they can not be removed unless family consent or the patient "codes" and can not be revived. These folks, especially the older ones could be hospitalized for months. There are very few long term care beds in ANY state for ventilator dependant patients. Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement is ridiculously low and the care very expensive and labor intensive. Ventilator dependant patients wait in hospitals for 6 months or more waiting on these beds, bottlenecking ICUs.

The idea of NY giving up the ventilators is wishful thinking.

I worked in HC, tracking down loaned equipment after a disaster, is IMPOSSIBLE. Everything just disappears. I can't even count the chain saws I've purchased during hurricanes, NEVER have I received even one back. The hundreds of thousands of lost oxygen tanks, nebulizers, oximeters, feed pumps, IV pumps, wound vacs, etc. Nobody every seems to know where this stuff when. Even with the best serialized tracking, it gets moved around and quickly lost.

Sad to say, those ventilators are gone.

Moo

Yes, I agree that the ventilators are gone. No one is going to go around checking serial numbers. The person who managed the loan will be relocated, off on a break, or just not available to arrange a return. In addition, people will be hooked up to the ventilators, possibly for an extended period of time. It's a one way street. We share equipment between two local hospitals and it's impossible to get stuff back.

But let's hope that if the original equipment doesn't come back, that at least equal equipment is given in return. Let's hope that new equipment is enroute and that the NY health care system will not forget the generosity of the people of Oregon. I'm hopeful, but honestly, I'm not optimistic.

I, as well, have been checking all day and noticed the update for 4/4 was removed. All the projections I've been tracking seem unchanged.

No update on the next update. This makes me a little more nervous. Moo...I don't think the social mitigation is working in some states (mine especially) .

Are they holding off for another announcement from the WH? I did notice Dr Birx seemed very solemn and fighting emotions, at times Saturday.

I feel, we waited to late in a lot of states and even with the closures, results are higher than expeditions.

Moo

Yesterday (Saturday) was Dr. Birx's birthday. Maybe she was feeling sad because her birthday should be a fun day and it was not.

7 residents of Mass. nursing home die of coronavirus, 8 others dead

And we have numerous situations like this statewide. Many deaths in at least half dozen nursing homes here. Including two facilities that they started to move residents out of to use as surge space.
I can only read so much now. The details are just too much. I can’t imagine having a family member hospitalized (or not being able to be) with this.

Husband ordered masks last week they’re sitting in the mailbox. I didn’t clean a damn thing yesterday but need to clean my fridge today and do the daily disinfecting.

Might get warm enough later to sit outside

In re-reading this article, it appears that these could be's or may be's were discussed and written about back in 2009, again being brought forth in 2014 & 2016. This is nothing new that hasn't already been discussed and then brought forward to fit today's situation. It is not based on fact because what Italy's health system is, is not the same as ours. And of course the last paragraph says it all, "it could very well be the case", with the words could, instead of will. So yes, I think this is fear mongering.

MOO
Article from the NY Times. Says the same about ranking patients.
At the Top of the Covid-19 Curve, How Do Hospitals Decide Who Gets Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr