Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, December 2nd:
*Disposition Hearing (@ 9am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Kent D. Mawhinney (54/now 57) arrested & charged (1/7/20) & arraigned (2/20/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. Bond reduced (10/7/20) to $246K. Bond posted (10/19/20). Bond set @ $1.5M (10/3/22); back in jail.
Trial set to begin in January, 2023 (no specific date).
Court info from 1/7/20 thru 1/18/22 reference post #405 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-55.609653/page-21

9/30/22 Update: Stamford Judge John F. Blawie said as Mawhinney awaits his trial to be scheduled, there would be no need to schedule future case hearings unless a new motion is filed or new information arises. Disposition hearing on 10/3/22. Hearing is on his bond conditions. The tamper alarm on his GPS anklet went off. The company got out there & replaced it but said it was tampered with.
10/3/22 Update: Prosecution submits pictures of the GPS ankle monitor that Mawhinney allegedly tampered with & says both sides of the strap were damaged. Judge White says from pictures, it appears the anklet was tampered with. Raises Mawhinney's bond to $1.5M. If he posts, must post at the courthouse. Mawhinney was taken into custody immediately in court. White set the new bond without prejudice, which means Kestenband could file a motion to revisit the issue in the future.
11/29/22 Update: Next disposition hearing on 12/2/22.
*Michelle C. Tronconis (44/now 47) – Cases #021178T, #0167364T & #0148553T: Pretrial Motions hearing on 2/23/23.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."

I'm not sure if today's hearing was postponed or if this relates to unfinished business related to today's hearing?

This email is to inform you that KENT MAWHINNEY, with docket number FST CR200241179T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Disposition Hearing has been scheduled for 12/15/2022. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

This case has dragged on so long that I’ve lost sight of KM’s specific involvement. Is his co-conspirator accusation limited to him providing an alibi to his friend/client FD the day of Jennifer’s disappearance or are there other facts supporting his involvement?

I do remember reading that if MT’s choses to take her case to trial, Kent will testify against her. Let’s hope she takes this case to trial.

This case has dragged on so long that I’ve lost sight of KM’s specific involvement. Is his co-conspirator accusation limited to him providing an alibi to his friend/client FD the day of Jennifer’s disappearance or are there other facts supporting his involvement?

I do remember reading that if MT’s choses to take her case to trial, Kent will testify against her. Let’s hope she takes this case to trial.
I had to reference the media thread myself!

Jan 18, 2022

[..]

Mawhinney has been free on bond since October 2020 following his arrest on Jan. 7, 2020. He was ordered to wear the GPS monitor as a condition of his release.

Mawhinney was arrested in January 2020 on the same day his former client and longtime friend, Fotis Dulos, was charged with murder and kidnapping in connection with his estranged wife’s death and disappearance.

Michelle Troconis, Mawhinney’s co-defendant, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and other charges and is scheduled to be back in court on Feb. 15. She also remains free on $2 million bond.

Arrest warrants detail how investigators believe that Mawhinney attempted to create an alibi for Fotis Dulos the morning of the disappearance.

Mawhinney was also connected with an East Granby gun club where witnesses told investigators they found a “human grave” leading up to the disappearance, according to an arrest warrant. Investigators wrote in the arrest warrant that the hole was later covered up and no remains were found at the site.

Mawhinney briefly eluded state police on Jan. 7, 2020, as they sought to take him into custody, officials said. He was later apprehended at gunpoint during a Tolland traffic stop.

Three weeks later, Fotis Dulos died by suicide.

[..]

I had to reference the media thread myself!

Jan 18, 2022

[..]

Mawhinney has been free on bond since October 2020 following his arrest on Jan. 7, 2020. He was ordered to wear the GPS monitor as a condition of his release.

Mawhinney was arrested in January 2020 on the same day his former client and longtime friend, Fotis Dulos, was charged with murder and kidnapping in connection with his estranged wife’s death and disappearance.

Michelle Troconis, Mawhinney’s co-defendant, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and other charges and is scheduled to be back in court on Feb. 15. She also remains free on $2 million bond.

Arrest warrants detail how investigators believe that Mawhinney attempted to create an alibi for Fotis Dulos the morning of the disappearance.

Mawhinney was also connected with an East Granby gun club where witnesses told investigators they found a “human grave” leading up to the disappearance, according to an arrest warrant. Investigators wrote in the arrest warrant that the hole was later covered up and no remains were found at the site.

Mawhinney briefly eluded state police on Jan. 7, 2020, as they sought to take him into custody, officials said. He was later apprehended at gunpoint during a Tolland traffic stop.

Three weeks later, Fotis Dulos died by suicide.

[..]
And as I recall, KM's ex-wife was said to have alleged that FD tried to persuade her to come and meet with Kent at FD's house.

Here's a new article about one of the judges on this case--Hon. Blawie--journalist bashing him for sealing records in another criminal case with a wealthy defendant. Blawie claims it was to protect underage victims. Was it Blawie who released a psych report from the Dulos divorce case to JS, MT's lawyer? IMO, it must've mentioned the Dulos children. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OPINION: Investigate judge who hid details of a rich Greenwich woman’s sex crimes (theday.com)

And as I recall, KM's ex-wife was said to have alleged that FD tried to persuade her to come and meet with Kent at FD's house.

Here's a new article about one of the judges on this case--Hon. Blawie--journalist bashing him for sealing records in another criminal case with a wealthy defendant. Blawie claims it was to protect underage victims. Was it Blawie who released a psych report from the Dulos divorce case to JS, MT's lawyer? IMO, it must've mentioned the Dulos children. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OPINION: Investigate judge who hid details of a rich Greenwich woman’s sex crimes (theday.com)
If I remember correctly the family psych report was part of the FD/JFD divorce case. The person who prepared the report refused to be cross examined about the report. It was not entered into the court record. It was supposed to be sealed, but Pattis or someone from his office "found" a copy of the report in the safe at FD's home. This happened supposedly while looking for FD's passport necessary for bail.

Pattis constantly wanted to put information from the sealed document into the criminal case. Judge Blawie did not allow this at that time as the report was sealed by another judge in a different court. Schoenhorn has been trying to. introduce it into the criminal record as well. The Troconis women think it's a great idea, too. Why do the Troconis women think it's relevant?....since it's been sealed....beats me.

Blawie finally allowed JS a copy last year, I think. IMO, the report was prepared by someone whose objectivity I question. Again, IMO, the children involved did need to be protected. Finally, IMO, on the surface, MT could have been mentioned as someone the children may have liked, and the report might have contained something negative about JFD's parenting in the evaluator's opinion.

Long post....this whole fixation on that report informs me about MT and her family's character and lack of regard for the children. IMO....Obviously this spans at least 3 years and 3 defense attorneys...You can Google many more articles. Here's a couple

If I remember correctly the family psych report was part of the FD/JFD divorce case. The person who prepared the report refused to be cross examined about the report. It was not entered into the court record. It was supposed to be sealed, but Pattis or someone from his office "found" a copy of the report in the safe at FD's home. This happened supposedly while looking for FD's passport necessary for bail.

Pattis constantly wanted to put information from the sealed document into the criminal case. Judge Blawie did not allow this at that time as the report was sealed by another judge in a different court. Schoenhorn has been trying to. introduce it into the criminal record as well. The Troconis women think it's a great idea, too. Why do the Troconis women think it's relevant?....since it's been sealed....beats me.

Blawie finally allowed JS a copy last year, I think. IMO, the report was prepared by someone whose objectivity I question. Again, IMO, the children involved did need to be protected. Finally, IMO, on the surface, MT could have been mentioned as someone the children may have liked, and the report might have contained something negative about JFD's parenting in the evaluator's opinion.

Long post....this whole fixation on that report informs me about MT and her family's character and lack of regard for the children. IMO....Obviously this spans at least 3 years and 3 defense attorneys...You can Google many more articles. Here's a couple
Thnx, Tink. There's an article--"Judge releases
Dulos psychological report"
I can't seem to capture the link--Try CT Post or Press Reader, or CT Insider. Blawie gave it to JS b/c LE already had it, but told him not to make it public. After that JS began his efforts to get the whole transcript from the court reporter that included the psychologist's testimony in divorce hearing--until the point where he refused to testify and divorce judge sealed the record. JS appeal of his personal case against court reporter now pending hearing before CT Supreme Court.

So far, no change...
Information is accurate as of December 10, 2022 04:50 AM
Defendant Information
Last, First: MAWHINNEY KENTRepresented By: 007660 BUTLER N & GOLD
Birth Year: 1965Times on the Docket: 26
Docket Information
Docket No:FST -CR20-0241179-TArresting Agency:CSP TROOP G
Companion:
Program:Arrest Date:1/7/2020
Court:Stamford JDBond Amount:$1,500,000 (This case only)
Bond Type:Set
Miscellaneous:(Not Released From Custody)
Activity:Awaiting DispositionNext Court Date:
12/15/2022 9:00 AM
Current Charges
StatuteDescriptionClassTypeOccOffense DatePleaVerdict Finding
53a-54aCONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MURDER
B​
Felony​
1​
5/24/2019Not Guilty

CT SAVIN - (Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification) is a free, confidential service that gives crime victims and members of the community information about an offender’s court case.​

Thursday, December 15th:
*Disposition Hearing (@ 9am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Kent D. Mawhinney (54/now 57) arrested & charged (1/7/20) & arraigned (2/20/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. Bond reduced (10/7/20) to $246K. Bond posted (10/19/20). Bond set @ $1.5M (10/3/22); back in jail.
Trial set to begin in January, 2023.
Court info from 1/7/20 thru 10/3/22 reference post #522 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-55.609653/page-27

11/29/22 Update: Next disposition hearing on 12/2/22. 12/2/22 Update: Disposition hearing continued on 12/15/22.
*Michelle C. Tronconis (44/now 47) – Cases #021178T, #0167364T & #0148553T: Pretrial Motions hearing on 2/23/23.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."

BREAKING: Kent Mawhinney will be released on bond on house arrest. Today a judge granted his attorney’s motion to reduce his bond to $246K, what it was before Oct 3. It was raised then to $1.5 million after officials said Mawhinney tampered with his GPS ankle monitor. ⁦‪@News12CT‬⁩

[URL='https://t.co/xaZnlAtAfy']pic.twitter.com/xaZnlAtAfy
[/URL]

Looks like KM is released from custody today after his bond was reduced by Judge Gary White to the original bond amount prior to his tampering with his electronic monitoring device. I’m completely miffed how this man is no longer incarcerated as an alleged co-conspirator in a murder investigation and who clearly tampered with his tracking device. Didn’t he try to flee the state when he was originally arrested?

Looks like KM is released from custody today after his bond was reduced by Judge Gary White to the original bond amount prior to his tampering with his electronic monitoring device. I’m completely miffed how this man is no longer incarcerated as an alleged co-conspirator in a murder investigation and who clearly tampered with his tracking device. Didn’t he try to flee the state when he was originally arrested?
Yes he did try to flee when LE came after him initially. I think you make a great point @LosAngeles. Imo - He has the demeanor of a man with nothing to lose - and that may be so. I believe the judge should have kept him locked up. Desperate people do desperate things. Esp when their judgement is impaired as KM’s seems to be.
He seems to be on house arrest now so maybe they can keep closer tabs on him.

How is there no penalty for tampering with a monitor???????

Revoke the monitor, BIND him over for trial, behind bars. Then he won't have to worry about his ankle at all.

JMO
Generally, committing an offense while released on bond is grounds to forfeit the bond.

I recall his parents' home was used as collateral for the $246K bond. What are you thinking KM?

So now he's essentially on house arrest! A gift, IMO.

I do believe Judge White that he will have zero tolerance for violations.

I trust White so I'm also interested in the evidence KM tampered with his monitor. He already had much freedom wearing the monitor.

ETA: Looking back, I think Judge White probably gave KM the benefit of the doubt when there was no evidence the signal on his bracelet was ever affected and his location was known at all times and the straps may have needed replacement. Two years without an issue is probably why KM out again but not with the prior freedom he enjoyed.

Last edited:
@Tink56 - I did not see any next hearing date for KM - anything in the court site for this?

TIA!
Moose And Christmas Balls Smiley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads