Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite phrasings in the second trial came from JSS. On the transcript of the sentencing, she added something to the effect, "Ms. Arias is not to be released for any reason during her lifetime." JSS was not a woman of many words as it turned out: that response to Nurmi's slew of gross prosecutorial conduct motions and requests to remove the death penalty and all the computer cr**....JSS managed to sort out the main points and write a very succinct response. I find this refreshing. It felt as though she was giving Jodi her sentence with no elaboration, no special attention, and then yelled "Next!" (Kinda like being at the DMV!) And on to the next convict....

I loved her last sentence in the aggravation factors - I've considered the emotional and financial harm to the victims family.

During the interrogation interviews, Flores mentioned that he knew the prosecutor, and that Jodi should be aware that he wasn't someone she wanted to mess with.

If she had an ounce of sense, she would have listened to him.

Instead, she arrogantly went forward with her ridiculous claims.

I don't know, but I think that Flores and Martinez weren't that well acquainted before this trial. I'm sure Flores knew Martinez by reputation, but I doubt it was more than that.

Fast-forward to the celebratory photos from the day of Jodi's sentencing.

Looking at those photos, it seems obvious that they are now pretty well bonded with one another.

Knowing what we now know about Martinez' more quiet/sensitive side, I can only imagine the personal exchanges between the two after Flores' son Tony died.

Here they were, having worked this case together for seven long years. There were probably more personal hardships than we'll ever know about, but certainly, Tony's death was the worst, and something everyone had a hard time dealing with.

From the photos of that night, it's obvious that Martinez and Flores are now pretty tight and forever connected by this trial, and in a good way. That says so much about these two remarkable men.

Jodi will never again be able to make good connections with other people. She's forever cut off from healthy relationships. From here on in, it's going to be all about dysfunctional encounters, be they either in person, on the phone, or via US mail; with men or with women.

Despite some perks as a lifer (which I don't think she deserves), I believe her life in Perryville will be a living hell. As the saying goes, it's a "fate worse than death."

In the interrogation tapes

09:16
DF: I don’t think you wanted to. I really don’t think you wanted to, but this speaks for itself. It speaks for itself, Jodi. It goes beyond speculation. This is way beyond speculation. This is downright proof, but there’s no back story to it. All I know is that I need a story or else it’s just cold. It’s so cold. You don’t look like the person who would plan something like this. You’re…you’re just not that person. I can believe other things but not that, but without the truth I can’t paint another picture, and it’s going to be up to the prosecutor to paint that picture, and if you want that prosecutor, and I’ve met him, and you don’t want him painting that picture, because he is good at what he does. I’ve worked with him before, and you allow him to paint that picture for you -- it’s not going to be good.

When did the meaning of Ghetto change? I am serious and not being snide.

No, it hasn't changed. Ghetto is still ghetto. Except that it is used as both a noun and an adjective now, other than that it's still the same.

MDLR's behavior is so juvenile and unacceptable for anyone, let alone a contractor for the state of Arizona. I'm appalled at how she is treating people.

She is being confrontational and combative to people who have posted their opinions, and is clueless to the fact that she's the one who's in the wrong. She even went as far as to say something to this effect, "Your comments only show your level of education and sophistication (not much)". ... Which is exactly what I wish someone would say to her.

In my book, whenever someone treats other people disrespectfully, it's ghetto. It doesn't matter if you have all the education in the World. If you lack tact and discretion, and disrespect others, you are ghetto.

Glad to know Jodi feels abandoned and betrayed by her "friends", but how in the heck did she have access to the Twitter account to begin with for Donovan to have locked her out of it??? I thought you didn't get internet access in jail and that Donovan was posting all the quotes for her? Maybe that's why it got quiet for awhile.

I saw a documentary or read an article (maybe someone posted it here) about how cell phones are being smuggled into the prisions nowadays. I guess it's a big problem. It made me wonder if maybe jodi had a smuggled cell phone in her cell.

It will be interesting to read Sheriff Joe's report, I'm sure if she had someone smuggle her one in it would be in that report.

The first part of your post is all about what people think and post about Arias, as per below.

Incorrect.

The first part of my post was noting what people said in the past about Angela Simpson and comparing Angela Simpson to Arias, given that both are killers and one seems to command respect and that respect, as was stated more than once, is tied directly to her openly admitting she's both evil and a killer, and then wondering if Arias could have been seen in the same light as Angela Simpson if Arias had been forthcoming (which I then went on to say of course she wasn't).

The second part of my post was about what Juan said about his own feelings in his interview and then my opinion of how he handled himself.
[modsnip]

I have a question that I would like answered if anyone knows. Is Jodi's ex bf Bobby Juarez dead or is he an actor in Hawaii now ? I saw a article about a Bobby Juarez in Monterey ( I think) was murdered by an unknown assailant and was wondering if he was her ex bf. This man's murder has not been solved and was committed in 2008 (I think ) Does anyone know if her ex BF is alive or dead ?

He is very much alive, an actor.
http://www.hawaiiactors.com/m/profile?screenName=1925czb9nuri2

I watched the series last week as well. Every episode helped me realize that it will be a totally different experience for inmate #281129 than jail. It is a psycho eat psycho world in there. It also made me wonder if she was spending 100$ a week commissary, she was either paying for friendship or possibly cell phone usage with food.

I just watched the first show in a series on Netflix, called Hard Time -it is a documentary about a prison in Georgia, which follows prisoners
as they arrive and get into the system, and it is brutal- the prisoners will tell you that you are a nobody when you arrive- a sheep surrounded by wolves, who will bully you, steal from every chance they get..... Jodi is not going in there to be treated like some celebrity, more like a target for every psychopath.....

Glad to know Jodi feels abandoned and betrayed by her "friends", but how in the heck did she have access to the Twitter account to begin with for Donovan to have locked her out of it??? I thought you didn't get internet access in jail and that Donovan was posting all the quotes for her? Maybe that's why it got quiet for awhile.

If she knew her password, she could tell Mom or any friend to go on and post so and so. If Donovan changed the password then Jodi would be at her mercy to post only if as and when Donovan wished to. I liken it to having access to my child's i phone. When the little Turkey tried to change her password so mom an pop would not have access, her i phone became my i phone real quick!!

That reminds me of the funny "Mom Song" https://youtu.be/CXgoJ0f5EsQ

Kind of a random post.

We might not be friends of the family but I know for a fact that the family appreciates our love and support. Most of us here feel deeply for them. It's called empathy. What affects one person affects us all. Also, we do like to discuss all things related to this crime. That's why we are here on Websleuths. The collective energy here is amazing and it is time spent well.

Incorrect.

The first part of my post was noting what people said in the past about Angela Simpson and comparing Angela Simpson to Arias, given that both are killers and one seems to command respect and that respect, as was stated more than once, is tied directly to her openly admitting she's both evil and a killer, and then wondering if Arias could have been seen in the same light as Angela Simpson if Arias had been forthcoming (which I then went on to say of course she wasn't).

The second part of my post was about what Juan said about his own feelings in his interview and then my opinion of how he handled himself.

What was disingenuous was the taking of my post, which was not personal, did not point to anyone, and which compared and contrasted Simpson to Arias and then went on to highlight Juan, and managing to get personally offended and then going on a narcissistic rant, as if my post had anything at all to do with that poster (which it did not). Cray-cray.

[modsnip]

But in the interests of civilised debate, what is your opinion of Arias as compared to Simpson if you care to share it, or just on Arias in general? From memory, as it's a long time since I watched her interview, I respected the fact that Simpson didn't really try and excuse her criminal behaviour unlike Arias, who to hear her speak has never once been in the wrong no matter what the subject matter is, but I have no 'admiration' for either. Had Arias been honest from the outset then that would be at least a slightly redeeming aspect of her character, but it would just make her an honest vicious killer as opposed to a lying one and she would still have been an incredibly unlikable person. I understand why you question the visceral dislike for Arias amongst the majority of those who followed this case - I've considered why I so dislike someone I've never met and who has done nothing to me, and all I can come up with is that she sparks some feeling of deep indignation at her squirming attempts to not only escape justice but to slime her victim at the same time. I have similar feelings towards other public figures that strike me as unpleasant, self-serving and dishonest people. Not a particularly good or insightful explanation but the best I can come up with at this point in time.

[modsnip]

But in the interests of civilised debate, what is your opinion of Arias as compared to Simpson if you care to share it, or just on Arias in general? From memory, as it's a long time since I watched her interview, I respected the fact that Simpson didn't really try and excuse her criminal behaviour unlike Arias, who to hear her speak has never once been in the wrong no matter what the subject matter is, but I have no 'admiration' for either. Had Arias been honest from the outset then that would be at least a slightly redeeming aspect of her character, but it would just make her an honest vicious killer as opposed to a lying one and she would still have been an incredibly unlikable person. I understand why you question the visceral dislike for Arias amongst the majority of those who followed this case - I've considered why I so dislike someone I've never met and who has done nothing to me, and all I can come up with is that she sparks some feeling of deep indignation at her squirming attempts to not only escape justice but to slime her victim at the same time. I have similar feelings towards other public figures that strike me as unpleasant, self-serving and dishonest people. Not a particularly good or insightful explanation but the best I can come up with at this point in time.

I agree with your opinions here. Although, they aren't that subtle if the majority see them for what they are. I also agree with your analysis of the difference between Arias and Simpson. Honest vicious killer sociopath vs. lying, sliming, excuse-making killer sociopath.

During the interrogation interviews, Flores mentioned that he knew the prosecutor, and that Jodi should be aware that he wasn't someone she wanted to mess with.

If she had an ounce of sense, she would have listened to him.

Instead, she arrogantly went forward with her ridiculous claims.

I don't know, but I think that Flores and Martinez weren't that well acquainted before this trial. I'm sure Flores knew Martinez by reputation, but I doubt it was more than that.

Fast-forward to the celebratory photos from the day of Jodi's sentencing.

Looking at those photos, it seems obvious that they are now pretty well bonded with one another.

Knowing what we now know about Martinez' more quiet/sensitive side, I can only imagine the personal exchanges between the two after Flores' son Tony died.

Here they were, having worked this case together for seven long years. There were probably more personal hardships than we'll ever know about, but certainly, Tony's death was the worst, and something everyone had a hard time dealing with.

From the photos of that night, it's obvious that Martinez and Flores are now pretty tight and forever connected by this trial, and in a good way. That says so much about these two remarkable men.

Jodi will never again be able to make good connections with other people. She's forever cut off from healthy relationships. From here on in, it's going to be all about dysfunctional encounters, be they either in person, on the phone, or via US mail; with men or with women.

Despite some perks as a lifer (which I don't think she deserves), I believe her life in Perryville will be a living hell. As the saying goes, it's a "fate worse than death."

Yes, it's wonderful that Flores and Martinez connect so well with each other. It's rare to have that on a professional level and get emotional "goodies".

From what I have seen, Flores and Martinez have worked on a case before. I saw them both on TV/YouTube, both much younger! I believe it was a death sentence case, so that would have been either Andriano or the "Oops, I killed my wife while sleepwalking" case." IIRC, these both took place before the TA murder.

Flores was good as an interrogator back then, but IMO he is brilliant now. Martinez has become a genius prosecutor in the meantime. I'll bet they learn a lot from each other, and it's not just a matter of acquiring new skills and experience in a vacuum. I would guess, in particular, they helped each other dissect Jodi's manipulation patterns. I'll bet they also moved together in arriving at the conclusion that basically everything about TA's and JA's "relationship" was smoke and mirrors, including that there likely never was a "boyfriend/girlfriend" relationship between the two, from Travis' point of view.

In the celebration photos, I almost didn't recognize Flores! We are so used to him sitting poker-faced in Jodi's trial, unflappable on the witness stand, and watching him calmly out-manipulate Jodi by going with a chit-chatty style (based on JA's original offer to "be helpful in any way she could") and then BLAM! landing her deep in interrogation mode. Anyway, we're more used to seeing Flores in his "detective" look. Jodi never could manipulate him, either, could she?

As I glance over at Andriano's case, it turns out she was in jail for 4 years before she came to trial, so I guess the lead up to the Jodi circus wasn't that unusual. The sleepwalking case, IIRC, also had a lot of contemporaneous media coverage, since it was so bizarre.

Just curious, why do you think that Flores & Martinez hadn't worked on other cases prior to this one??? Flores warned Jodi about him, so that implies to me that he knew him.

Yeah, I think Flores said something like, "I've met him, I've worked with him..." so he definitely knew Martinez. When I said I thought they were not well-acquainted, I meant it in the personal way, as in not having a social relationship with each other.

I also recall during the first trial someone (I think a talking head on HLN) making the point that Martinez doesn't fraternize.

From those celebration photos, it seems like they do have a personal (friendship) relationship now. I think that it developed (or grew) over the course of this trial.

Sorry if I didn't make my thinking clear...

I've often wondered just how much Dr. deMarte assisted Juan with his strategy of understanding,dissecting JA's personality and defense. Such as: the best way to cross examine her, how to get her confused, how a person with BPD acts and reacts in certain situations and maybe assisted the family with their final statements.

I know a great deal of Juan's experience came into play but I wonder if he had ever encountered someone of JA's ilk and asked Dr D for more insight.

Just my rambling thoughts!!

My opinion on both Simpson and Arias: Killers who should be locked away forever, and thankfully are. Just because one killer is honest about the reasons for her own killing and the other is not, doesn't change the actions of the crimes and doesn't elevate one killer as somehow better. Both are a danger to society and both earned their way into life sentences, and with both locked away, society will be safe from each of them. True justice doesn't really exist since the victims are still dead no matter what else happens, so this is as close as it's going to get.

As for just Arias herself, I've shared my feelings about her many times over the months, but I'll say it again: I feel she is a jealous, discarded woman who refused to move on and who was so immersed in her obsession the only way she thought she could get over it was to kill the object of her obsession (Travis). I see her as someone who could have made a decent life for herself but chose the path of destruction.

Thank you for your insight on your feelings towards and about the killer (Arias).

I am so surprised this thread is still going.

She is gone. Over. The End.

Talking about her now makes her relevant..

I've often wondered just how much Dr. deMarte assisted Juan with his strategy of understanding,dissecting JA's personality and defense. Such as: the best way to cross examine her, how to get her confused, how a person with BPD acts and reacts in certain situations and maybe assisted the family with their final statements.

I know a great deal of Juan's experience came into play but I wonder if he had ever encountered someone of JA's ilk and asked Dr D for more insight.

Just my rambling thoughts!!

Oh that's interesting. The interview with Juan was woefully incomplete. There is so much I'd like to know. I wish Dr. Demarte would agree to an in-depth interview as well. What a fiery combination those two make!

Yeah, I think Flores said something like, "I've met him, I've worked with him..." so he definitely knew Martinez. When I said I thought they were not well-acquainted, I meant it in the personal way, as in not having a social relationship with each other.

I also recall during the first trial someone (I think a talking head on HLN) making the point that Martinez doesn't fraternize.

From those celebration photos, it seems like they do have a personal (friendship) relationship now. I think that it developed over the course of this trial.

Agreed.

If I recall from HLN, the statement that JM doesn't fraternize refers to relationships with defense attorneys. I can guarantee that JM associates with some very intelligent and very articulate comrades: to maintain a vocabulary like his, your world has to have others who echo it back and have their own menu of "big" words.

I am saying this from personal knowledge. Actually, the WS site offers a good illustration. Have you ever noticed that when you respond to a poster who has, say, an SAT-level vocabulary, you trundle yours out too? Even though you may be home all day talking to 2-year-olds and never knew you had it in you?

While I'm on that topic (Rickshaw Fan brainwave), have you ever noticed that in imaginary responses to Jodi, you don't trick out your sentences with fancy vocabulary? (I've just noticed this now....) And when a poster on WS uses wording that is slightly "off" to make subtle and not-so-subtle digs at other posters? Same thing? It's all just repellent?

Methinks we can't mirror Jodi or Jodi-ish for a reason: there's something intuitively wrong with the language. We see her word choices as a joke. Contrast that with your reaction to JM. Very quickly, you'll find yourself talking to your husband (wife, partner) with some of his verbal wizardry, even though you've never used those words in your life! Remember "salacious" and "tumescent"?

In short, I believe we somehow intuitively know who to trust by the words they choose and whether they have the words "spun" correctly. If we are comfortable, we can readily make these words our own. (Aside: I swear, if I had to do life over, I'd be a forensic linguist.) No doubt, there are certain sentence structures we respond to as well: Jodi always sounds like she's borrowed (stolen, plagiarised) someone else's (which she has, almost invariably) and is cut-and-pasting as her phrases leave her mouth, whereas Juan sounds, well, as though he is manufacturing every little bit right on the fly, which is how language is supposed to work.

Jodi's vocabulary and phrasing give me the queasies, I tell you. Same with Jodi-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV