Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh by the way... My mom works in a hospital as a medical technologist in Blood Blank. She basically runs blood bank for her job. Anyways she just said don't believe anything the CDC says because it's all lies.

I wAs wondering that as well Isabelle......whether they were previously exposed to Ebola and had antibodies against it.I wonder if that was checked.If so they may be able to provide plasma to patients as well....

Exactly!!!

As Claire Randall Fraser from the Outlander books would say:

"Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!" Sorry if anyone is offended.

After reading the past few pages, I will retract most of my criticism of AV. I personally think it would be a "DUH" moment to to even consider getting on public transportation while feeling bad. But if she was informed by the CDC it was okay, I'm going to have to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Really, if this weren't a matter of public safety, it would be comical. Un effing believable.

Claire would be smacking the CDC upside their collective heads!!!

Sierra Leone updates:

New Ebola infections in northern Sierra Leone mean all 14 of the nation’s districts have reported cases of the deadly virus, health officials said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ss-sierra-leone-after-cases-in-koinadugu.html

Police in Freetown, Sierra Leone, have fired tear gas as people took to the streets to complain about the authorities' handling of the Ebola virus.
They were angry that the body of a woman who died from the disease was left on the street for two days.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29624762

Dr. Kent Brantly told ABC News today that his blood type is A+, while Duncan's family has said his blood type was B+, making them incompatible for a transfusion of whole blood or plasma.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dr-kent-brantly-donate-blood-thomas-eric-duncan/story?id=26226388

Thank you.

"Had Duncan received a blood transfusion from Brantly, it would have caused hemolysis - the breakdown of red blood cells - according to Dr. Christopher Stowell, director of Transfusion Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital."

Here are the flight segments for the aircraft Tues, I am trying to determine its schedule Mon

Airbus A320 that carried the health care worker was put away for the night on Monday after it carried the woman from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth. But Tuesday morning the plane was flown back to Cleveland and then to Fort Lauderdale, back to Cleveland and then to Atlanta and finally back again to Cleveland, according to Daniel Baker, the chief executive of the flight monitoring site Flightaware.com.

Is the Daily Mail (UK) known to be a legitimate site to quote from? Apparently Dr. Brantly has donated blood to three Ebola victims (Nurse Phan, Dr. Rick Sacra, and Ashoka Mukpo), and offered to give for Mr. Duncan but they were not a match:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-virus-america-beloved-dog-s-quarantine.html

Those who have survived Ebola have antibodies in their blood which can help new sufferers beat the disease.

Dr Kent Brantly was flown back from Liberia to the U.S. after contracting Ebola during his missionary work for Samaritan's Purse.
He survived after receiving a dose of the experimental serum Z-Mapp and round-the-clock care at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.

On September 10, Dr Brantly donated blood to a fellow doctor, Dr Rick Sacra, who also contracted Ebola during his work in West Africa and survived the disease.
Last Tuesday, he was on a road trip from Indiana to Texas when he received a call from Ashoka Mukpo's medical center in Nebraska telling him his blood type matched Mukpo’s.

He also offered his blood to Thomas Eric Duncan but their blood types didn't match.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-beloved-dog-s-quarantine.html#ixzz3GGY2HRIE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We need a CDC/National Health dept/bureau/whatever with the TEETH to enforce these things. As it is, we have so many in the country who oppose anything being done on the federal level, leaving it all up to the states and localities.

So you will get one outcome in Dallas, and you might get a completely different outcome here in Massachusetts, where public health is heavily funded and we have some of the best hospitals in the country, if not the world. We are lucky that we have strong health funding and enforcement here. I feel badly for folks in states where they do not.

I don't know much about Texas hospitals, so I don't know that we should jump the gun and judge them for not having the built-in advantage of having the Ivy League in their backyard. (Unless anyone knows something I don't about Texas hospitals that is uniquely bad.)

Ms Vinson was in Cleveland when she developed a fever, so she didn't have to worry about access to good medical care, thank goodness. The Cleveland Clinic is amazing. But maybe they wanted her to go back to Texas just to minimize the number of people in contact with Ebola patients and prevent this kind of public freak out that is now happening anyway? IDK.

The local rumor mill is bursting at the seams. Hopefully, nothing but rumors. If not, grab your butts !

Care to point me in the right direction, if found on the internet. Key word to search etc. Do not know any nurses here in TX all my nurses are in Louisiana so no inside scoop for me. Ebola break to go read to my kiddos.

Per Megan Kelly on Fox... Obama is cancelling another trip tomorrow so he can follow up with the Ebola crisis tomorrow. I don't have a linky yet as she just said it.

Care to point me in the right direction, if found on the internet. Key word to search etc. Do not know any nurses here in TX all my nurses are in Louisiana so no inside scoop for me. Ebola break to go read to my kiddos.

I was wondering if she was referencing the medical center that was briefly shut down, but I think that the all clear has since been given.

I don't know much about Texas hospitals, so I don't know that we should jump the gun and judge them for not having the built-in advantage of having the Ivy League in their backyard. (Unless anyone knows something I don't about Texas hospitals that is uniquely bad.)

Ms Vinson was in Cleveland when she developed a fever, so she didn't have to worry about access to good medical care, thank goodness. The Cleveland Clinic is amazing. But maybe they wanted her to go back to Texas just to minimize the number of people in contact with Ebola patients and prevent this kind of public freak out that is now happening anyway? IDK.

Thank you Irish

The Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas is world famous. Especially M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. They do good work

Thank you Irish

The Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas is world famous. Especially M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. They do good work

M.D.Anderson was AMAZING with my father-in-law! They saved his life and is Cancer free now!

IDK who decided Texas has poor hospitals: Texas Children's Hospital, M.D. Anderson, Texas Heart Institute in addition to Rice University, a highly respected research university which has excellent College of Science. Those are just the ones I named off the top of my head...

Im sure Pham wouldn't have stayed at her hospital if she thought she was in danger...

Thank you.

"Had Duncan received a blood transfusion from Brantly, it would have caused hemolysis - the breakdown of red blood cells - according to Dr. Christopher Stowell, director of Transfusion Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital."

Key words here are "blood transfusion". Plasma aka FFP is not a blood transfusion because the blood has been filtered out. Wrong type blood transfusion can lead to death because of antigen-antibody reaction. Antigens are only on the red blood cells, not in the liquid portion which is plasma.mtyping and matching is nice but not necessary for plasma, except in case of a pregnant woman.

once someone gets and survives Ebola,are they forever immune? Or is it like the flu and you are only immune to one particular strain?

@BrianCurtisNBC5: .@texashealth exec will tell Congress tomorrow "we inadvertently provided some information that was inaccurate." #DallasEbola @NBCDFW

Hah! They provided inaccurate information and got caught out on it. First they said the ER nurse never asked Patient Duncan if he had traveled. Next they said oh, no, she asked and entered the information but there was a glitch in our computer system that the ER doc could not access the nursing screen to see the information. After that, a third story was put out. That indeed the information was there and the doctor could have accessed it. They just never went on to say "The ER doc just never bothered to look at the information".

We have also never been told exactly why Mr. Duncan was given antibiotics at that ER visit. So, this hospital CEO in his statement is doing a whole lot of praying, I see, but not really offering anything above what he absolutely has to. He is also saying the nurses were provided with appropriate PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en