Egypt Air flight 804 missing, 19 May 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure Plumeria5. I only remember that movie with Jodi Foster in it about the avionics compartment/bay. ha! Here's a generic layout of a plane. Searching for an A320 still. This is approximately where Jodi went down to the bay.

View attachment 94959

Pretty interesting film, they really get into the bowels of the plane and airport.

FLIGHTPLAN
Flying at 40,000 feet in a cavernous, state-of-the-art 474 aircraft, Kyle Pratt faces a mother's worst nightmare when her six year-old daughter vanishes without a trace midflight. Already emotionally devastated by the unexpected death of her husband, Kyle can only rely on her own wits to solve the mystery and save her daughter.

[video=youtube;ruIZZoFs98I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIZZoFs98I[/video]

They keep saying they found the plane, but from what I can gather, only debris and other floating objects have been found, as well as a two mile long oil slick. Aren't they still searching for the location of the main plane wreckage?

Hi, really interesting reading what everyone has to say on here. Can I ask is it normal to be flying that high at that speed when according to the media they were relatively close to landing? Thanks

:welcome:

Best online source, imo, for all things relating to aviation disasters/problems --

www.pprune.org. (Click on "Flight deck forum," then " rumor & news").

(A forum by and for aviation professionals, including pilots). There's a thread there about EA804).

My husband & I are celebrating our anniversary by going to Italy, with a stopover in Paris. I'm telling myself that the odds against anything bad happening again are low. I still wish I hadn't read this thread, tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband & I are celebrating our anniversary by going to Italy, with a stopover in Paris. I'm telling myself that the odds against anything bad happening again are low. I still wish I hadn't read this thread, tho.

Stop reading. Seriously. Your trip is to ENJOY.....so read some cool stuff about the places you'll visit and leave this thread. Have a great trip!!

Best online source, imo, for all things relating to aviation disasters/problems --

www.pprune.org. (Click on "Flight deck forum," then " rumor & news").

(A forum by and for aviation professionals, including pilots). There's a thread there about EA804).

ETA...I found pprune during the initial months of the search for MH370. There is a gigantic (closed) thread there to peruse for anyone interested in pilots' POVs about what happened. ;)

Why are we referring to an airplane as she instead of it

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

It is a fondness and respect. Its like boats, hurricanes- !! I called my irobot vacuum Rhonda robit until she passed away!!!

QUOTE=MelmothTheLost;12573180]Actually they can. They are fitted with a ditch switch that closes and seals all the various inlets and outlets ahead of a planned ditching.

US Airways flight 1549 sank in the Hudson partly because the crew did not activate the switch and partly because the landing tore holes in the fuselage bigger than the ones that would have been closed by the ditch switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

With a sealed and unbreached hull, an A320 can float almost indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

I was being funny in that media kept saying we dont know if it hit the ground, yesterday for hours (crashed) --- of course it is on the ground, in the water whatever, when they run out of fuel gravity comes into play!!

IMO should have put on some common sense thinking caps, and say humm the plane has no fuel - so there is no way we could be wrong if go on the air and say Flight 804 has crashed.It is missing but down.

They cant float around in the air !!

I wish they were as careful with other stories!!

You and your husband are going to have a wonderful time. Go. Enjoy. Celebrate. That is what life is about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-parts-and-luggage-found-at-wreckage-site-of/
Theories | Why did EgyptAir Flight MS804 crash?

Theories that have been put forward about the cause of the crash include:
1. Mechanical malfunction

"A major technical fault - the explosion of a motor, for instance - seems improbable," said aeronautics expert Gerard Feldzer, underlining that the A320 in question was "relatively new", having entered service in 2003. "In addition, the A320 has an excellent safety record as the best-selling, medium-range airliner in the world."

There were no reported signs of mechanical malfunction when the Airbus A320 set off.
2. Shot down

Experts have also said it is unlikely the plane was shot down, as the region is one of the most monitored in the world and it would be hard to conceal such an attack. Debris will be tested to see if there are any traces of explosives.
3. Explosion

There have been no confirmed reports of any terror group claiming responsibility for bringing down the plane.

Egypt's aviation minister Sherif Fathy said: “If you analyse the situation properly the possibility of having a terror attack is higher than the possibility of having a technical [problem]”

Thanks for sharing your own experience. Yes if you were to put explosives on a plane catering, baggage handling & maintenance are the weak points I don't know what can be done to improve things. The planes have such a quick turnaround and the airports are so busy it seems impossible to ensure high security at all times.

Baggage handlers are required to go through the check. Also, any food, beverages, merchandise are screened before it enters the secure side. But, the fbo, which handles fueling, contracted mechanics for some of the airlines, are not screened as they enter the inner perimeter through alternate gates. So many loop holes. Then again, I've worked here for 16 years, so before 911, and the thought is no matter how hard you try, the bad guys will find a way. The commercial airlines really try too. Any cargo to be shipped on them, that comes from their outside cargo facility is screened and check by our K-9's.

Air Investigation ‏@AirInvestigate 22m22 minutes ago
Last ACARS messages from #MS804 indicate smoke alerts in lavatory and avionics bay http://avherald.com/h?article=4987fb09&opt=0 …

Australia News Net ‏@AusNewsNetwork 24m24 minutes ago
#BREAKING: #EgyptAir #MS804 flight data shows that smoke was detected in bathroom near the cockpit before the crash; @AVHerald reports.

Aeronews ‏@AeronewsRO 4m4 minutes ago
Two smoke alarms in 3 minutes (lavatory, avionics) on-board the A320 EgyptAir before it went down (via CNN). #MS804

attachment.php

Great find Dr!

It almost looks as if a window in the cockpit broke? Decompression? Would the smoke from rapid deompression trigger it? ? Does this add credibilty to picture of fireball in the skyball?

plane bathroom at 2.26am local time
A minute later, avionics compartment smoke was recorded.

The aircraft disappeared from radar at 2.29am.

In another manner, it gives us info that systems were still working at some level in that ACARS was transmitting, so at least up to this point we know no catastrophic decompression, intially,which could take us away from terror and back into mechanical, or a small bomb, in the wrong place?? Just doing some keyboard rambling! So for three minutes we have some bad stuff happening.

OH inside job, bomb in luggage?? As oppossed to interior? Ah ha.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/egyptair-804-plane-crash-doomed-8017048
You and your husband are going to have a wonderful time. Go. Enjoy. Celebrate. That is what life is about.

I agree Bravo ! Your in more danger driving to the airport!!

Re NYT article earlier dropping precipitously to 15,000 feet from 37,000 and then plunging again to 9,000 feet before it disappeared from radar. Have any of you heard of this second drop before???

And.............in terms of western aviation accident investigation, the ACARS would not be a leak. It would be told to us the minute they found it! They would report exactly what it said, reporters will ask all kinds of questions and they would come back and say at this point all we can say is ACARS stated..........................

Shows the difference in views compared to crashes in that part of the world and geoploitical stuff. A leak- IMO its not a leak - its infomation and probably at this point IMO the most informative piece of info to date!!
to

That is exactly what I thought as it was breaking. I now have a different view of that Flight Radar site after it freaked me out last night! BUT, do any of you remember -could not find it again - same site -on the page where it has arrows showing climbing or descending it never had anything but climbing.

even in the cruise segment - there was never on the page I saw anything other than climb- it threw me off, and still does -

I have had a rough time this month in terms of timeouts! But, when I go to sites not moderated, I have found it rough.

I found them, at pprune really rude to each other. Did you?

Here we can disagree, but it does not get just nasty - who wants to go online and be nasty to people?

You Tube I wont even go to comments!!

Oh, I am going to go online now and be obnoxious with people - baffles me.

It is so safe!! Guns/autos kill more people than planes/terrorists!!

Hi gigi

But we cannot say it cant be done!! Better screening.
Miami internationial does it better than anyone :

[h=1]Employee Screening Boosts Security at Miami Airport[/h]
http://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/86470-employee-screening-boosts-security-at-miami-airport

Do I find pprune folk especially rude to one another ? No, not really. Have seen way worse here at WS, lol.

It's a forum for aviation professionals, but open to anyone who wants to join and post. The professionals can get impatient over less than knowledgeable wannabees' opinions, but meh, it's easy to scroll on by, and there is info to be found there that isn't available anywhere else until way later on, if ever.

Finally a sonar boat is going out to listen for the pings of the black boxes. It is going to take 2-3 days to reach the search area.

A French Navy patrol boat left the port of Toulon on Friday with sonar that can pick up the underwater “pings” emitted by the recording devices, but it will take the vessel two or three days to reach the area, the Associated Press reported. The recorders' batteries can transmit for 30 days.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/05/20/egyptair-flight-investigation/84640622/

Hi, really interesting reading what everyone has to say on here. Can I ask is it normal to be flying that high at that speed when according to the media they were relatively close to landing? Thanks

From looking at the flight timings I think they were about 25 minutes from landing, so it was probably too early to start their descent.

Apparently. Records denote that you are far more likely to actually die on a road. Be it car bike coach or a pedestrian crossing said road.
It only seems worse when aviation is involved becuz of the numbers of people aboard.
Besides which. Why should terrorists tell us how we run our lives?
I'm looking forward to my holiday this year.. aren't you?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Some interesting developments overnight (from the UK point of view). If this does turn out to be systems failure due to inadequate maintenance or abuse of the aircraft, I wonder if the airline will lose its permission to fly into and out of European airspace.

Hummm terrorism has changed . I wonder if this might be a lone wolf? Kinda more leaning mechanical issues since ACARS. It was not an instant event. I suppose a small bomb could result in that final accident sequence. The fireball thing maybe that was after the final drop and then she exploded? Have a little more hope on this one in that the French are invoved and Mr Egypt (!) has less lying opportunites (I hope) mooo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77
Back