FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Posters keep on mentioning "15" bullies.

Where is their primary source for this? And no, some reporter, or 80 reporters, saying so does not make it so. Primary source is a direct quote of the sheriff or a direct quote from a PCSO document, etc.

And no, John the ex bf never said he knew Rebecca was being bullied by 15 students; he said the precise opposite.

Much of what has been written in the media is pure fabrication by reporters who see what they wish to see, not what is there. During any moral outrage against children, truth becomes expendable -- and the media get away with simply anything.

I'm not completely following you, but yes it is a quote attributed to Judd in several news articles that covered the initial arrest press conference. Check early in the thread.

This case has been all over the place, mostly bad places, but I don't think there is much doubt that systematic bullying occurred, unless Judd is also lying.

All three girls appear to come from completely and utterly screwed home lives.

If you have ever been bullied you know how utterly devastating it can be to the human psyche. It takes precedence over every good thing in your life. You dream it, you live it and believe that you are worthless. Why else would you be treated this way and other people know and do nothing about it? It happened to me in a recent work situation. I went to human resources and they told me if it wasn't about sex they could do nothing. Everyone knew. No one did anything. Though it was a high level, good paying job, I quit. Just what this bully wanted. But it destroyed a good portion of my career. I wanted to kill myself and I am a professional and an adult. How could a little girl handle this?

Where is their primary source for this? And no, some reporter, or 80 reporters, saying so does not make it so. Primary source is a direct quote of the sheriff or a direct quote from a PCSO document, etc.

And no, John the ex bf never said he knew Rebecca was being bullied by 15 students; he said the precise opposite.

Much of what has been written in the media is pure fabrication by reporters who see what they wish to see, not what is there. During any moral outrage against children, truth becomes expendable -- and the media get away with simply anything.

I will definitely go and find it from the sheriff...I am heading in to work for the next 12 hours.

Seems they can all start by looking in the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100% I said this early on and then self-edited because I suspected, but did not know yet what exactly had went on at home. She should not get a penny! If she wants to make a difference then go out and take a stance against child abuse, domestic violence, bullying, and so on...after she serves time for child abuse herself if that is found to be true.

I'm not sure how to post this from an article...I know I am allowed to only post so much...this is from fox news...but it is from our sheriff Grady Judd...

Judd said Sedwick was "terrorized" by as many as 15 girls who ganged up on her and picked on her for months through online message boards and texts. Some of the girls' computers and cellphones were seized in the investigation. He said the two girls arrested were the major culprits. One of the suspects had been dating Sedwick's former boyfriend. The two had gone to the same school where, at one point, there was a physical confrontation between the girls.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...ted-in-death-bullied-florida-girl-police-say/

JB says he knew that as many of 15 girls had teamed up against Sedwick in her final days with the 12-year-old described by the Polk County Sheriff's Department as being Sedwick's former best friend.
"It shocked me," said Borgen of Sedwick's eventual suicide on Sept. 9. "It made me mad because she should have just told somebody."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cide-jealousy-article-1.1488356#ixzz2jWp1AfYO

Once again, the Daily News and similar stories about the ex bf and 15 bullies are pure fabrications. Note how there are never any direct quotes from the boy about "15" bullies.

And once again, where is a direct quote of sheriff Judd or PCSO?

As to his first conference, Judd said the precise opposite of what most of the media alleged he said about 15 "bullies".

So, primary sources please -- not media fantasies.

Once again, the Daily News and similar stories about the ex bf and 15 bullies are pure fabrications. Note how there are never any direct quotes from the boy about "15" bullies.

And once again, where is a direct quote of sheriff Judd or PCSO?

As to his first conference, Judd said the precise opposite of what most of the media alleged he said about 15 "bullies".

So, primary sources please -- not media fantasies.

On Websleuths, quotes from a mainstream media article (including the foxnews link above) are considered primary sources. If you are calling them liars, can you link your primary source where Judd says the opposite?

Seems they can all start by looking in the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, and that seems to be what Judd is saying without saying so in so many words. I am taking from his statement "don't look for people to sue and a big payday, look around and figure out how to help stop this phenomenon. It starts and ends in these kids' homes."

Judd said Sedwick was "terrorized" by as many as 15 girls who ganged up on her and picked on her for months through online message boards and texts. Some of the girls' computers and cellphones were seized in the investigation. He said the two girls arrested were the major culprits. One of the suspects had been dating Sedwick's former boyfriend. The two had gone to the same school where, at one point, there was a physical confrontation between the girls.

The girl who had been dating Sedwick's former boyfriend went to friends around the school and tried to have them turn on Sedwick, Judd said. The girl posted comments on the Internet saying Sedwick should "drink bleach and die," Judd said. The second girl arrested was a former best friend of Sedwick's who was influenced by the other girl to turn on her, Judd said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...ted-in-death-bullied-florida-girl-police-say/

features video of the Sheriff discussing the "terrorization" of Rebecca by a "group" of girls

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYQadbR0Ss"]Two girls charged in case of bullied Florida girl who committed suicide - YouTube[/ame]

POLK COUNTY, Fla. -
There are 15 young girls under investigation for bullying after a preteen committed suicide Monday.

Sheriff Grady Judd with the Polk County Sheriffs Office says at least 15 young girls may have been involved in the bullying that led 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick to commit suicide Monday.

there is video of Sheriff speaking here as well.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/15...ide/-/1637132/21908640/-/p5uva7z/-/index.html

footage of the Sheriff in his press conference on this case. This appears to be that presser in its entirety.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY1elq49luA"]Sheriff Grady Judd: Cyber-Bullying Rebecca Sedwick - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks, tlcya. I was trying to parse the videos but the conference(s) are quite long when one is trying to prove a negative. The main thing I noticed as I was skimming is that he often refers to Shaw and Roman as the "primary" stalkers, which is a very different word from "only".

He also mentions repeatedly that they are waiting for more info from kik and ask f m dot com, two other social media sites; in addition to acknowledging that Rebecca had other issues.

Sedwick’s mother is reportedly considering chucking lawsuits at the accused bullies, their parents, the other children involved, Polk County schools and the old plant where the young girl committed suicide.
"I would much rather see them actively involved in stopping bullying than looking for people to sue," says Judd.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-family-homes-article-1.1496991#ixzz2jWTwR3kz

still loving this sheriff Judd fella. Just saying

Me too. :loveyou:

I'm torn between believing Judd is just taking a stand against a serious problem, and thinking he's getting ready to run for higher office. If he's for real, maybe he should, though.

This dear sweet girl. Gosh, I feel so sad for what she endured.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/20/justice/rebecca-sedwick-bullying-death/

Mom of dead Florida teen sends birthday message, promises to fight bullying
By AnneClaire Stapleton and Holly Yan, CNN
updated 4:07 PM EDT, Mon October 21, 2013

Snipped:
In November 2012, the bullying began, Judd said, and it expanded beyond the initial tensions between the two girls.

Police arrested a second suspect accused of intensely bullying Rebecca, and they also confiscated the laptops and cell phones of 15 girls at Crystal Lake Middle School, which Rebecca had attended.

They found a barrage of horrible messages:
"nobody cares about u"
"i hate u"
"you seriously deserve to die"

Rebecca apparently gave up on herself, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said. "Rebecca wasn't attacking back. She appeared to be beat down."

Bringing this forward as it may help with perspective. Police confiscated laptops &/or cells from 15 girls. They wouldn't legally be able to do that without some sort of proof to back up the warrant for seizure.

So many responses and still not a single quote from Judd or other primary source about "15" bullies.

And no, CNN saying "confiscated" does not mean it is so. As far as I recall the first conference, Judd directly contradicts that.

And no, I am not asking anyone to prove the negative. I am simply asking for a direct quote from the sheriff or a PCSO document about "15 bullies".

I have no dog in this debate over whether 15, 20 or 2 girls bullied. I linked what I thought would be helpful, and now I am opting to move on.

So many responses and still not a single quote from Judd or other primary source about "15" bullies.

And no, CNN saying "confiscated" does not mean it is so. As far as I recall the first conference, Judd directly contradicts that.

And no, I am not asking anyone to prove the negative. I am simply asking for a direct quote from the sheriff or a PCSO document about "15 bullies".

I get that you're looking for verbatim words in quotes rather than "15 girls were involved, Judd said", but the latter constitutes proof on this particular site. (As opposed to something more weaselly such as "sources say".)

At this point if you're this invested in proving no other students participated, I think the burden of proof may be on you to produce a verbatim quote of Judd saying "no other students participated."

May I ask what the overall point here is? I know there is debate about how much bullying played a role, but "drink bleach and die" is pretty overt. And as for Rebecca's other problems, bullies are adept at spotting weakness. That's kind of their gig.

I wish Rebecca's name was in the title. She was so worried about being worthless and being told so at every turn. Feels wrong for her to just be FL-12 yr old girl :(

I get that you're looking for verbatim words in quotes rather than "15 girls were involved, Judd said", but the latter constitutes proof on this particular site. (As opposed to something more weaselly such as "sources say".)

That's not even close to proof or even credible evidence.

Fox News told millions that authorities said the two arrested girls had shown no remorse, though this directly contradicted what the sheriff just said about Katelyn in a news conference and what is stated in her arrest affidavit released to news networks.

If 20 newspapers report tomorrow that Judd said Rebecca deserved to die, but curiously none provides an actual quote, not to mention time and place, or a written statement, or video, would you just accept it as true?

Yet by your logic, FOX (or MSNBC or CNN or ...) stating something as a fact is "proof" it is true.

At this point if you're this invested in proving no other students participated, I think the burden of proof may be on you to produce a verbatim quote of Judd saying "no other students participated."

You miss the point entirely.

Had the media stated as "fact" that the sheriff said no more than two kids were involved, I again would ask for evidence here if I noticed its curious absence wherever I looked.

I am saying that those "15 bullies" statements attributed to Judd are entirely unsubstantiated. People simply accept them on faith because they wish to believe them.

May I ask what the overall point here is? I know there is debate about how much bullying played a role, but "drink bleach and die" is pretty overt. And as for Rebecca's other problems, bullies are adept at spotting weakness. That's kind of their gig.

Again, you entirely miss the point. You are thinking as a lawyer representing one of two sides. I am thinking as a social researcher interested in preventing bullying. The truth matters in many ways that have nothing to do with the legal case against the girls.

BTW, many posters on the web questioned why Judd managed to arrest only 2 of the "15 known bullies". And I wonder if there really was 15 students taking part in an unceasing campaign of abuse, how come no parent noticed? And many other perfectly valid questions.

Anyway, this is "Websleuths" -- if people here have no interest in the actual truth, what's the point of the site?

And if you find nothing troubling about a major "fact" repeated all over the mainstream media that no one is able to substantiate, what's the point of even caring about the truth? People who trust blindly whatever they hear on TV make poor detectives.

Finally, it seems impossible for you to imagine anyone who is primarily interested in actual evidence, wherever it leads. If the media start spreading unsubstantiated "facts" blaming Rebecca's step-dad for causing her to kill herself, I will speak up even though I rather dislike the man based on released evidence.

This was the last place I expected people get irked when someone asks for actual evidence. I hoped posters here would find it interesting if they are unable to substantiate a "fact" repeated over and over by much of the media.

Of course I have no desire to impose my passion for truth and evidence on others here; so feel free to ignore me.

I'm at work and all I have to say is wow...just wow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back