FL - Jessica Lunsford, 9, abducted & murdered, Homosassa, 27 Feb 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/au...judge-rules-couey-not-retarded/?news-breaking
INVERNESS - The father of Jessica Marie "Jessie" Lunsford, the 9-year-old Homosassa girl raped and killed in 2005, said he believes she will get "justice" now that a judge has ruled the man convicted of her murder is not mentally retarded.
The ruling Tuesday clears the way for Judge Ric Howard to sentence John Evander Couey to death this month.
"He'll die for what he did," Mark Lunsford said.
In March, Couey was convicted of kidnapping Jessie from her Homosassa trailer, then raping and murdering her. A jury in Miami, where the case was heard because of intense media interest in Citrus County, recommended 10-2 that Couey die for his crimes.
At a hearing last month and during a trial this year, Couey's attorneys argued that the 48-year-old was mentally retarded.
Howard disagreed, writing, "A person who is mentally retarded simply could not have planned such a sophisticated crime and escape."
Couey's attorneys could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening, and prosecutors also declined to comment, saying they had not read Howard's ruling.
"They were pretty desperate to save his life," Lunsford said. "I don't know why. I guess it's their job."
The judge's ruling is the last major legal hurdle before Couey's sentencing, scheduled for Aug. 24.
"It was not a surprise," said Mark Gelman, an attorney who represents Lunsford.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/au...judge-rules-couey-not-retarded/?news-breaking
INVERNESS - The father of Jessica Marie "Jessie" Lunsford, the 9-year-old Homosassa girl raped and killed in 2005, said he believes she will get "justice" now that a judge has ruled the man convicted of her murder is not mentally retarded.
The ruling Tuesday clears the way for Judge Ric Howard to sentence John Evander Couey to death this month.
"He'll die for what he did," Mark Lunsford said.
In March, Couey was convicted of kidnapping Jessie from her Homosassa trailer, then raping and murdering her. A jury in Miami, where the case was heard because of intense media interest in Citrus County, recommended 10-2 that Couey die for his crimes.
At a hearing last month and during a trial this year, Couey's attorneys argued that the 48-year-old was mentally retarded.
Howard disagreed, writing, "A person who is mentally retarded simply could not have planned such a sophisticated crime and escape."
Couey's attorneys could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening, and prosecutors also declined to comment, saying they had not read Howard's ruling.
"They were pretty desperate to save his life," Lunsford said. "I don't know why. I guess it's their job."
The judge's ruling is the last major legal hurdle before Couey's sentencing, scheduled for Aug. 24.
"It was not a surprise," said Mark Gelman, an attorney who represents Lunsford.

He may die for what he did but unlike Jessie, he'll have years and years of appeals. I say put him in g-pop until his sentencing date and let nature take it's course.

You probably will see me and you might hear me. I will be the one who is getting arrested for making all the noise in the court room. I'll probably only have time to get abt 10 vulgar words out of my mouth so I better start practicing.:crazy:

I might end up sharing a cell with you.... I have some choice things to say too.
Things I've kept to myself for too long. I think its time they came out.

I might end up sharing a cell with you.... I have some choice things to say too.
Things I've kept to myself for too long. I think its time they came out.

Yep, rode this ride right from the beginning. I want to see it through the end.

Yep, rode this ride right from the beginning. I want to see it through the end.

Yes and its time for me to let out a lot.... I was there from the start and will be there for this ... then we need about 17 more states I think to pass Jessie's Act or something close .... then I'll take a vacation . Unless Judge Howard gives me one first.

I managed to get some vacation time next week, as I am seriously considering going to this, unless of course they are going to postpone it again for some reason.

:furious: http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/082207/D8R6B7IO0.shtml
John Couey, 49, talked to his aunt, Virginia Kloetzer, on Aug. 3 about his upcoming sentencing by Circuit Judge Richard Howard. Excerpts were posted on the Times Web site Wednesday.

"We all know what he's going to do," Couey said.
"Well, me too," his aunt replied. "But you know God's in control of everything."
"I don't worry about it because it's in his hands," he said. "I don't let it bother me."
He said he decided he wants to be cremated "when they finally do my execution."
At another point in the conversation, his aunt talked about the impact of the case on the family, and Couey expressed regret.
"It was stupid of me," Couey said. "I kick myself in the butt a hundred times a day," Couey said at another point. "Stupidity. I just keep asking myself, why were you so stupid?"
==========

now if we just change the word stupid to evil....:furious:

Thanks Sherri! I was hoping it would be first thing this morning. I'm glad there will be live reports.

So it's finally D-Day. Any chance of rescheduling this one? I hope not. This has gone on long enough.

Not a chance, this is the day. Judge Howard will follow the jury recommendation.
are you still going becca? if yes stare a few daggers into the heartless @ss for us and please post on what you see that cameras may not pick up.

are you still going becca? if yes stare a few daggers into the heartless @ss for us and please post on what you see that cameras may not pick up.

I doubt if i can get out of here in time. I had wanted to but there is a member going. I'm sure she will let us know what happens that media won't touch on.
Although one reporter that i know that will be there is that kind of reporter, he catches the other stuff.
Have you listened to the two part jail house tape with the 's aunt? this is warped....

I doubt if i can get out of here in time. I had wanted to but there is a member going. I'm sure she will let us know what happens that media won't touch on.
Although one reporter that i know that will be there is that kind of reporter, he catches the other stuff.
Have you listened to the two part jail house tape with the 's aunt? this is warped....
i have read about it but not listened. do you have a link? i read he says he was stupid. i thought evil fit so much better.

Hi all,
Just jumped on to see if the has been sentenced yet. Thanks for letting us know it comes on at 2:00

I was cleaning my office, listening to the radio when Kenny Chesney's song "Who You'd Be Today" came on. That song always reminds me of Jessie and the way that Mark probably thinks of her...especially the part where he sings " I wonder what would you name your babies". It just kills me and I cry....but it also reminded me that today is the day that this a$$hole gets DEATH!!!!! I have no doubt!

in case someone has a problem with the other link. http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4c540b6b-28ce-4971-b52c-80eafceb434f
We will stream live coverage from the courtroom starting at 2pm. Stay tuned to ABCActionNews.com for updates on this story.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=5&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

The sentencing hearing gets underway at 2:00 p.m., and you can watch it live here on our website.

Sorry sherri I couldn't get back here until just now. trying to actually get some things done . Not that my mind is on it. I'd much rather be at the courthouse.
I'd probably get arrested for screaming at the .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back