FL FL - Justin Walker & Brian McCluney, overdue fishermen on boat, Port Canaveral, 16 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Eternal Father,
strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty
ocean deep
It's own appointed
limits keep;
Oh, hear us when
we cry to Thee,
For those in peril
on the sea!

a pray from Harborfest 2009
Amen. This is beautiful.
t4524.gif

Even though official searches ended at sundown, Thursday, Walton said some efforts in North Carolina could continue.

"I believe they're going to continue to search into the weekend. There is some inclement weather that is predicted for the area, so I'm not sure how long they're going to be out," he said.

Boaters are reminded to keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary they notice out on the water.

Walton said this isn't the way he wanted the search to end.

He described, "We went out and gave it our best and unfortunately our best wasn't good enough."
MISSING FIREFIGHTERS SEARCH: ‘Unfortunately our best wasn't good enough,' S.C. volunteers finish up search for firefighters

Coast Guard suspends search for two missing boaters

Involved in the search were:

[...]

Rebecca Buhler, Walker’s cousin, said the family is currently raising donations to help rent private planes and charter boats to continue searching.

“Just because they’re pulling out doesn’t mean we have to, and it doesn’t mean we have to give up, as well,” Buhler said.

She said her cousin is tough and resourceful. She said she still has faith he’s coming home.

Buhler said the family is still asking for volunteers to continue looking.

“We’d really appreciate it,” Buhler said. “We need the help.”

[...]

Coast Guard suspends search for two missing boaters

Involved in the search were:

With admiration, respect, and gratitude for the efforts of ALL; heroes searching for heroes.

I have been waiting to say what I think happened because there have been so many people still positive about outcome.I imagine the boats motor failed and they were not able to steer into the waves and rolled over.
I doubt they had life jackets on and could have drowned quickly in high winds/waves. If they did have jackets or was able to hang on to debris, hypothermia would overtake them eventually even in warm waters.This kind of tragedy has played out on Florida's coast over and over with boaters ill prepared or running into bad weather.
Bless their families and Bless those who searched.

Would there be no time to send a distress text to a wife or someone? Seems if they had even a moment to alert someone they would have.

<modsnip: no link to info stated as fact>

So my question is - if it was mechanical wouldnt they have time to send a distress call or text saying oh no big waves are coming we need help or oh no we hit something and water is rapidly coming in the boat ? What could of caught them so off guard suddenly? Waves can be seen and heard especially big ones. Anything else happening to the boat seems they would alert for help. What type of scenario would of prevented this?

These are all great questions. I believe late Friday afternoon there was a period of dicey weather, but the weekend was calm. Even rough, choppy waves without the weather factor can be extremely volatile and rock and bring up and slam down a boat of that size.

I can only speculate that the wife was sending these unread texts toward the end of the day when they were supposed to be close to shore, trailoring the boat, or heading home?

It has been mentioned that the Coast Guard has been called before because of mechanical problems. I wonder how far out there they were when that happened and how much it cost them to tow? Because the Coast Guard doesn't get involved unless it's life and death, but they will contact a tow to come get you. In this particular case, if these boys were 30 miles out, they were looking at thousands of dollars.

I think the wave ft. factor gradually increased that day, and then something went wrong with the motor. I think the time spent trying to access/fix the problem may have put them in worse circumstances. If you don't have a motor in say 8' waves, you have a major problem.

Today's a good day for a Miracle!

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all great questions. I believe late Friday afternoon there was a period of dicey weather, but the weekend was calm. Even rough, choppy waves without the weather factor can be extremely volatile and rock and bring up and slam down a boat of that size.

I can only speculate that the wife was sending these unread texts toward the end of the day when they were supposed to be close to shore, trailoring the boat, or heading home?

It has been mentioned that the Coast Guard has been called before because of mechanical problems. I wonder how far out there they were when that happened and how much it cost them to tow? Because the Coast Guard doesn't get involved unless it's life and death, but they will contact a tow to come get you. In this particular case, if these boys were 30 miles out, they were looking at thousands of dollars.

I think the wave ft. factor gradually increased that day, and then something went wrong with the motor. I think the time spent trying to access/fix the problem may have put them in worse circumstances. If you don't have a motor in say 8' waves, you have a major problem.

Today's a good day for a Miracle!

Could the wave of come suddenly without warning and slammed into them? <modsnip: off topic / different case> I wonder if they can check the mens phone to see if they attempted to send or call ... Maybe signal wasnt working but wouldnt it still show on the records any attempt?

Jax Firefighters on Twitter
We the Jacksonville Firefighters have been working hand-in-hand at every level of the search for our Firefighters Brian McCluney and Justin Walker. We know that they will live in our hearts and our thoughts for the rest of our lives.
ECltN2qWkAQ2Lgy.jpg

12:56 PM - 22 Aug 2019

[URL="https://twitter.com/ffxfirerescue/status/1164592243153539080"]Fairfax Fire/Rescue on Twitter[/URL]
#FCFRD Statement re @USCGSoutheast suspending targeted searches for missing FCFRD Master Technician Justin Walker and @JFRDJAX Firefighter Brian McCluney @jaff122 @IAFF2068 @USCG

ECl2eUKXsAAZboh.png

1:36 PM - 22 Aug 2019

Beth Rousseau on Twitter
'We went out and gave it our best, and unfortunately our best wasn’t good enough,' Chad Walton, who organized Charleston's volunteer search efforts for Brian McCluney and Justin Walker says all boats will be back by 8. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews

ECm4681XkAI8aXz.png

6:27 PM - 22 Aug 2019

Eric Prosswimmer on Twitter
We thank all those that gave in our furious search of our brothers.....
7:18 PM - 22 Aug 2019 from Black Mountain, NC

Could the wave of come suddenly without warning and slammed into them? <modsnip: off topic / different case> I wonder if they can check the mens phone to see if they attempted to send or call ... Maybe signal wasnt working but wouldnt it still show on the records any attempt?

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

As for as the firefighters, yes, waves can get progressively worse. As they fished, it may have started out calm, gone gradually choppy as they moved further out. I remember when my husband came back from a Keys trip, he said on one particular day "they had no business being out there." He said they found themselves in 8'-10' foot waves pretty quickly, and with a working motor, you can kind of maneuver the boat to take less impact, and they were able to get out of there. He likened it this way: You're having the best fishing ever, and you keep going further out. 2-3' ft, then 3-5' waves. It's like buying a car...if you already at 30k, what's another 2k for some upgrades.

If they found themselves in a similar situation to my husband, and their motor died, then there would be no way to control the impact to the boat.

Or, the motor could have died earlier on, and to avoid jumping the gun and spending thousands of dollars in towing fees, they thought they could fix the problem before alerting anyone, but the currents drew them towards danger too quickly.

Wyse says the community and volunteers have been phenomenal with the search and fundraiser. More than $150,000 has been raised and Wyse says the money is growing every hour but now the expenses are starting to come in.

Volunteers are being asked to bring their reimbursement receipts to the Command Post. Once the money gets situated, the money left over will go to the family members of McCluney and Walker.

Wyse tells WOKV they will not be involved or funding any private searches, but the families can do whatever they wish with the money.

upload_2019-8-23_8-57-2.jpeg
Jacksonville Association of Firefighters focus to volunteers and famil

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya