GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom is still considered a victim right?

TH's on HLN spouting off about how this baby's mother is just not acting like she lost a child a few days ago. That just absolutely incenses me! How do they know, never having lost a child themselves. In the days after my 2 yr old son was killed in an auto accident, I couldn't cry. When police were in my living room giving me his wallet with drivers license I couldn't cry. I couldn't force myself to cry. I asked my grown daughter what was wrong with me because I couldn't cry, she told me I was in shock. I did cry on the day of his services when I brought to his casked his prized guitar and I cried for a very long time after, in the months and years to come. Generally though, I was unable to express emotion publicly and sometimes even privately. From my experience, I would say to those that don't understand, don't question the actions of a newly bereaved parent as it may come back to you. I know, this happened to me! I'm not saying that is why it came back to me, but I am saying it is a very hard painful way to learn understanding for others.

As far as the baby being cremated so quickly, this would not have been able to happen if the ME had not released the body to the family and BTW if a body is not to be embalmed it is to be cremated as quickly as possible. Funerals are extraordinarily expensive and I am sure this mother did not have the means to afford a casket that may have cost up to $4000 or more. I haven't once heard any ask for donations to cover expenses, most likely because this mother didn't want to depend on others for help. Thanks for letting me spout off!

DE is due back in court today - no?

FWIW - I don't think this will go to trial. I think LE has quite a bit - hard evidence - on both of them. They will end up striking a plea deal.

That one lawyer yesterday (public defender) stating he was 1000% positive that his client is not guilty. Yea. Sure. He hasn't even been given any discovery yet - he doesn't know what LE (and the prosecutors) have. Hard to make a statement like that and be taken seriously (when he doesn't have all the evidence).

JMHO

BBM my assessment as well, puff and bluster.

OOOOOOOooooooo - here's a thought.

WHAT IF the 15 yr old had a phone and recorded the whole thing? IF this was a possible gang initiation then recording would have been proof of the "task" and huge "props and street cred" to both the shooter and cameraman.

IDK - now I'm just grasping at straws. But cell phones play a big part in other cases - did either of these two boys have one?

hhmmmmm..................................

JMHO

But would they really get props and street cred for killing a baby? I've always got the impression that baby killers on looked down upon by even the lowest of the low. Surely, if this was the case they would have shot the mom and not the baby. I wouldn't put it past the 15 year old to be making a video to show his friends (I don't think they were gang members, only wannabes) of their robbery attempt. People nowadays even post this sort of stuff on youtube and end up convicting themselves.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/

"Mom's story questioned by daughter after baby killed" * video at link *

Wondered what people thought of this ? Strange, imo, to ask so soon about the baby's life insurance.

Ummm...Yes. I was totally shocked by that. Now, after back reading here, maybe there is a kind of explanation. If she's suffering from severe mental illness, possibly also on other drugs, then it's very possible her judgement and ability to assess what most would consider normal or abnormal could be quite impaired.

Just for the record, I totally agree she is a victim, as well as the mother of a victim.

OOOOOOOooooooo - here's a thought.

WHAT IF the 15 yr old had a phone and recorded the whole thing? IF this was a possible gang initiation then recording would have been proof of the "task" and huge "props and street cred" to both the shooter and cameraman.

IDK - now I'm just grasping at straws. But cell phones play a big part in other cases - did either of these two boys have one?

hhmmmmm..................................

JMHO

It's a consideration...though the thought makes me wince big time.

I am wondering about SW's daughter's statement in the press regarding SW's question about when Antonio' s life insurance payment would come. Is it customary to carry life insurance on young children? I am not insinuating anything, but seriously asking. I don't have life ins on my kids. My employer offers it for my own life, or I probably would be remiss in carrying a policy i had to seek out and pay for. Just curious.

I am wondering about SW's daughter's statement in the press regarding SW's question about when Antonio' s life insurance payment would come. Is it customary to carry life insurance on young children? I am not insinuating anything, but seriously asking. I don't have life ins on my kids. My employer offers it for my own life, or I probably would be remiss in carrying a policy i had to seek out and pay for. Just curious.

We have it on all 5 of us. Hubs also has insurance if any of us die or get hurt. It's not a big pay out. Just enough to cover funeral.

Life insurance on babies and children is one of those things that folks tend to have very different opinions on. Some think it's ok, others don't.

In this case, I was surprised a policy was purchased, mostly because she seems to struggle financially.

TH's on HLN spouting off about how this baby's mother is just not acting like she lost a child a few days ago. That just absolutely incenses me! How do they know, never having lost a child themselves. In the days after my 2 yr old son was killed in an auto accident, I couldn't cry. When police were in my living room giving me his wallet with drivers license I couldn't cry. I couldn't force myself to cry. I asked my grown daughter what was wrong with me because I couldn't cry, she told me I was in shock. I did cry on the day of his services when I brought to his casked his prized guitar and I cried for a very long time after, in the months and years to come. Generally though, I was unable to express emotion publicly and sometimes even privately. From my experience, I would say to those that don't understand, don't question the actions of a newly bereaved parent as it may come back to you. I know, this happened to me! I'm not saying that is why it came back to me, but I am saying it is a very hard painful way to learn understanding for others.

As far as the baby being cremated so quickly, this would not have been able to happen if the ME had not released the body to the family and BTW if a body is not to be embalmed it is to be cremated as quickly as possible. Funerals are extraordinarily expensive and I am sure this mother did not have the means to afford a casket that may have cost up to $4000 or more. I haven't once heard any ask for donations to cover expenses, most likely because this mother didn't want to depend on others for help. Thanks for letting me spout off!

BBM. Love this. Think you're dead on. I think anything more is reading into it too much.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/

"Mom's story questioned by daughter after baby killed" * video at link *

Wondered what people thought of this ? Strange, imo, to ask so soon about the baby's life insurance.

Not trying to put any blame on the mother unless there's some proof.... and am not diminishing the actions of the two perps ; but it's disturbing to hear the mom's family members having doubts .

the parents of Antonio were of very limited means, life insurance policies for children are usually not for large amounts but just about enough to handle final (funeral) costs.

Life insurance would not be paid, IMO, on a murder, until that case was resolved to the insurance company's satisfaction.

A charitable organization apparently stepped in and helped put on a small ceremony and paid the cremation costs.

MOO financial concerns for people of limited means and who live check to check is a very real factor. So worry about money is not that big a red flag to me. People we have none spend a lot of time worrying about it. I would fall into that category.

Plus the same daughter who is doubtful states in her interview that Ms. West suffers some mental health issues.

JMO

ETA another thought I am having about the adult daughter and her comments regarding her mother. There may be tons of resentment towards her mother over Antonio.

Mom apparently was not a fit mother to Glassy. She was apparently a devoted one to Antonio. Recent news articles have come out stating what a happy baby he was, how mom walked him about in the stroller, how he was his dad' life, etc.

I find the timing of her expressing her doubts now interesting in light of that and in light of the fact that during the interview I saw prior, she does not express those concerns. She expresses concern over what will happen next to her family and how horrible this has been on top of other sad things that happened in the past.

She had pain pills. That came out during Piers' interview. She never said what kind of pain pills she was on, but she had pain pills.

IMO they were "robbing" her for these not money.
MOM still a victim!

Just because she's asking about the life insurance doesn't mean anything, IMO. Typically on children life insurance policies are only a few thousand dollars to cover funeral expenses. She is moving to NJ, she probably needs the money to move. We don't know that the charities she sought out covered all of the funeral expenses.

If something happened to my hubby I'd probably have to cash out his life insurance policy within 2 weeks. I am a SAHM and would still need to pay bills and provide for our children.

Life insurance on babies and children is one of those things that folks tend to have very different opinions on. Some think it's ok, others don't.

In this case, I was surprised a policy was purchased, mostly because she seems to struggle financially.

She might have had one of the "Gerber" policies? If she is truly schizoaffective, maybe she didn't have any insurance on the baby at all. This insurance thing could have been a delusion or something she thought existed. Dunno. Doesn't bother me though.

I had life ins policies for my kids. The kind that builds up cash value and when the boys were employed and of age they took them over. The initial value was 15,000 but they could raise the amount(and pay more)when they were of age. But it does seem strange that someone on disability would have the extra money for that. Then again, some ins salesmen are very persistent.

We do not know for a fact that life insurance on the baby was purchased by the mother. Maybe the father purchased it. Is there government life insurance on babies whose parents are disabled?

We do not know for a fact that life insurance on the baby was purchased by the mother. Maybe the father purchased it. Is there government life insurance on babies whose parents are disabled?

I've only heard of survivor benefits but that's for children who's lost parents I think. Dad could have purchased a cheap plan thru his work. Ours costs $3 a week. Covers all 5 of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67