GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An autopsy report wouldn't indicate a cell phone. If the phone was with or near her when she was found, the police would have taken it as evidence. The coroner would only note those items on or with the body at the time of the examination.
Thank you. That's what I was wondering. I didn't know if anything would be removed from the body before it was given to the ME.

Excellent point. There should have been other cameras before & after the rainbow crosswalk photo. There are several businesses on Piedmont & on 10th that have visible cameras on Google street view. Speculating that if LE released 11 photos & 4 videos of 6 potential witnesses, why couldn't more photos of KJ & B be released to show when & where they actually were. This might assist unknown witnesses, passersby, employees or residents on Piedmont & on 10th remember something that could help the investigation.
JMO
I recall reading that quite a few camera in the park and near by were not operational--some for years apparently.

I seem to recall that the cameras work, but are so old that there is no longer a way to download the info. I find that hard to believe.
Starts around 1:40ish—
“Installed in 2008…. those cameras are based on obsolete technology & they do not integrate with our video integration center”
I find this very hard to believe.

The APD’s Video Integration Center was established in 2007, & the cameras in PP were installed the next year. So essentially, (despite millions of dollars of funding that’s been given to this project) it appears they have the not monitored the cameras in one of the largest & most popular parks in the metro-atlanta area for.. how long…? & it took them 13 years to recognize this problem? Honestly, I don’t buy it. Regardless, if what they’re saying is true, it’s absolutely inexcusable & ridiculous.
Sorry for the rant. I grew up here & am just tired of a lot of the APD’s nonsense.
JMO

I seem to recall that the cameras work, but are so old that there is no longer a way to download the info. I find that hard to believe.

From the linked Washington Post story:

"Many residents also were outraged to learn that the city had just nine security cameras monitoring the massive park, and it is unclear how many of them were working on the night Janness was killed.

“You had nine cameras covering 187 acres?” said Chris McKinley, who lives in a neighborhood that borders the park. “I got more cameras on my house, and they work.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e59cb2-0740-11ec-a266-7c7fe02fa374_story.html

Last edited:
Saw on social media from someone that they are going to announce arrests soon. On news in Atlanta and KJ home state Michigan. I don’t have a link because it’s not allowed on here. Just go look if you really want to. This is my opinion…..not a fact….but I think they’re going to make the arrest soon.

That also clarifies that her phone was not taken. The "$200 headphones" Emma Clark mentions were likely Apple Airpods, wireless earbuds.

ME Report states a blue-black wireless ear bud was found adjacent to right ear. I don't think Apple AirPods come in blue-black.

I'm amazed the earbud was recovered given the extreme amount of trauma to her head and neck.

After reading the autopsy report, the degree of violence inflicted upon the victim is reminiscent of the murders in the Whitechapel district of London in 1888 committed by Jack the Ripper.
Lots of folks made that comparison as well. Not entirely off base. I think many were expecting to see another similar attack before long, which of course we didn't see, or at least not aware of. Many took that to mean that this was perhaps a more targeted attack, directly to KJ. But it could also mean that the killer has been encarcerated, hospitalized or dead. Hopefully we know soon.

Last edited:
Partner EC states she left work and was home by 12:30. KJ wasn't there and she had seen her one hour before. (11:30) then it gets weird that in a matter of 30 mins she freaks out, uses find my iphone app, gets on her bike and rides to Piedmont Park. Partner father says she arrives at PP at 12:57am. 911 call comes in at 1:10 am
I was just thinking that if my partner was late coming home and I used an app to find his phone and saw it wasn't moving, my first thought probably wouldn't be that he was hurt in the park. It would be that his phone slipped out of his pocket and he lost it and was probably frantically walking around looking for it and that's why he wasn't home yet. I would be concerned but I don't think I would be freaking out - yet? I'd be more concerned about running out to go pick up his lost phone before someone took it. Not speculating anything, just that thought struck me when I read that.

I really need to remember to take my ID with me when I run or bike. I usually take my phone.
I don't run with a wallet, but have a "road id" little plaque that just snaps onto my Fitbit or Apple Watch band. Just has my name, birth date and emergency contact's number. I must read here too much because I actually think that is how I could be identified...

Lots of folks made that comparison as well. Not entirely off base. I think many were expecting to see another similar attack before long, which of course we didn't see, or at least not aware of. Many took that to mean that this was perhaps a more targeted attack, directly to KJ. But it could also mean that the killer has been encarcerated, hospitalized or dead. Hopefully we know soon.

Or temporarily cooling off. The Gainesville Ripper, Danny Harold Rolling, committed a triple homicide in Shreveport, LA in November 1989 and did not resume killing again until August 1990 in Gainesville FL.

After re-reading her autopsy report, I think a chef's knife has the right dimensions for the deepest wound (~3.5 in deep by 1.5 inches in length) found on her lower back. A lot of people own these knives, not just chefs, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of an acquaintance in the restaurant business. I just hope for her own sake that the killer was not someone she loved or trusted.

Or temporarily cooling off. The Gainesville Ripper, Danny Harold Rolling, committed a triple homicide in Shreveport, LA in November 1989 and did not resume killing again until August 1990 in Gainesville FL.

After re-reading her autopsy report, I think a chef's knife has the right dimensions for the deepest wound (~3.5 in deep by 1.5 inches in length) found on her lower back. A lot of people own these knives, not just chefs, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of an acquaintance in the restaurant business. I just hope for her own sake that the killer was not someone she loved or trusted.
I also think the knife came from a kitchen. Specifically one from either restaurant. I don’t know why….but I am still holding on to the fact that it was a work friend…buddy…extra gf. Whatever the case. It’s someone in their circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member