General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

I had linked this information on that thread.

AL does not require licensing your gun in any way. They do not require a waiting period, nor a background check.

ETA: The Find Law link has not updated the Jan 2023 repeal of AL permitting requirements.
Two of the shooters were minors and aren’t allowed to possess a handgun.

So, reading the Guardian newspaper this evening the following title caught my eye: Man shoots girl, six, and her parents after ball rolls into his backyard Nothing really to show me that it's in the USA, but immediately I thought: something that crazy has got to be in the US. MOO JMO I was right.

Once again, no offense to the many Americans on Websleuths. I'm sure there are cities and regions and maybe even whole states where something this crazy wouldn't happen. But if you don't have a gun to hand, it's obviously harder to go and shoot people for allowing a ball to come on your property. In other parts of the globe the man might have yelled and swore OTT and/or refused to give the ball back.

Man shoots girl, six, and her parents after ball rolls into his backyard

So, reading the Guardian newspaper this evening the following title caught my eye: Man shoots girl, six, and her parents after ball rolls into his backyard Nothing really to show me that it's in the USA, but immediately I thought: something that crazy has got to be in the US. MOO JMO I was right.

Once again, no offense to the many Americans on Websleuths. I'm sure there are cities and regions and maybe even whole states where something this crazy wouldn't happen. But if you don't have a gun to hand, it's obviously harder to go and shoot people for allowing a ball to come on your property. In other parts of the globe the man might have yelled and swore OTT and/or refused to give the ball back.

This guy is a felon. It is against the law for a felon to possess a gun. Now what law can we pass to prevent something like this. Criminals don’t care about laws. moo

Gaston County Police have multiple warrants for Singletary’s arrest. He is charged with four counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.

This guy is a felon. It is against the law for a felon to possess a gun. Now what law can we pass to prevent something like this. Criminals don’t care about laws. moo

Gaston County Police have multiple warrants for Singletary’s arrest. He is charged with four counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
He also beat his ex girlfriend with a mini sledgehammer last December and held her against her will. There is a manhunt for him now.

The twisted “get off my lawn” murders seem to be growing.
It’s a perverse interpretation of the castle doctrine and “stand your ground”.

This one is easy. Crimes against women and children have long been overlooked and/or given light charges and sentences. We’ve made some progress but not enough. I remember when beating your wife held a lighter charge than beating your girlfriend, it was written in criminal codes.
When he was arrested back in December for hitting his girlfriend in the head with a sledgehammer and prevented her from leaving, (assault and battery and kidnapping) he should not have been released as anyone who would do that is obviously a danger to others and the community.

Your reasoning makes an assumption I don’t make. I have no expectation that what works in one country will work in another. I’m not sure what works in one state or city works in another.

JMO
RSBM
While I don't necessarily have an expectation that what works in one country will work in another, it seems sensible to me to share information and discuss. Obviously no country is quite like another country, but there are thinktanks in one country who look towards other countries to see how they deal with all sorts of issues. Delegations go from one country to another to see how neighbouring countries deal with xyz, e.g. within the EU.

Do you feel that the US is unique and can't learn anything from countries that are vaguely similar? Canada, Germany and Switzerland are all countries with a lot of law-making / decision-making at the provincial/Länder/canton level as well as federal. And in Switzerland afaik every man of 'military fighting' age is required to keep a gun in his own house, yet there aren't daily reports of gun violence coming out of Switzerland. So what's the difference between the Swiss and the Americans in relation to gun violence? I don't know personally, but there are quite a lot of answers in this article Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings not to mention an explanation on the requirement for men to keep a serviced gun in their house. MOO

But isn't it worth looking into when you consider the gun violence taking place in the US atm? Canada isn't the US, obviously, but there are a number of similarities between the 2 countries IMHO. I used to live in Canada, btw. So why isn't there a similar amount of gun violence in Canada?

And within one country, there have to be things that work all over the country even if in some parts of the country or in some segments of society these measures/laws are unpopular, otherwise there would be anarchy. MOO

This one is easy. Crimes against women and children have long been overlooked and/or given light charges and sentences. We’ve made some progress but not enough. I remember when beating your wife held a lighter charge than beating your girlfriend, it was written in criminal codes.
When he was arrested back in December for hitting his girlfriend in the head with a sledgehammer and prevented her from leaving, (assault and battery and kidnapping) he should not have been released as anyone who would do that is obviously a danger to others and the community.
If North Carolina had a Red Flag law, his gun would have been confiscated after his arrest for the domestic violence.

RSBM for focus.

Correct, criminals don't seem to care about laws too much. What law can you pass to prevent it? As I suggested in a different post, I would think it would be worth your while as Americans to see what other countries do to try and prevent 'deranged' people getting hold of a gun, for example. Check here: Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings

Switzerland is pretty strict e.g. People who've been convicted of a crime or have an alcohol or drug addiction aren't allowed to buy guns in Switzerland. The law also states that anyone who "expresses a violent or dangerous attitude" won't be permitted to own a gun. The latter could mean some people are prevented from getting a gun license although they aren't actually a danger to society. That would be hard luck for that particular person but there are always some people who strike unlucky I suppose. Personally, I'd prefer a little unfairness or perceived unfairness in this kind of direction (not getting a gun license) than in the terrible unfairness of a completely innocent person being shot. MOO IMO.

If a criminal wants a gun they will get one. No law will stop them. imo
I don’t understand this argument, all kinds of crimes are committed but that is no reason to not make laws to prevent them and protect others. It’s like throwing up your hands and saying you just have accept it and let them be.
It’s like saying people are going to speed, everyday it’s happening, so why have a speed limit, license to drive suspensions, or insurance liability for when they injure or kill people on the road.
Which brings me to the fact that there are no liabilities for gun owners, if they leave guns accessible and they get stolen and people are killed, oh well. Not their problem, they have no legal responsibility.
Not to their communities, not even to their own children. Parents are very rarely charged if their child uses their gun to kill, and even more rarely convicted.
Guns should be insured against liabilities.

RSBM
While I don't necessarily have an expectation that what works in one country will work in another, it seems sensible to me to share information and discuss. Obviously no country is quite like another country, but there are thinktanks in one country who look towards other countries to see how they deal with all sorts of issues. Delegations go from one country to another to see how neighbouring countries deal with xyz, e.g. within the EU.

Do you feel that the US is unique and can't learn anything from countries that are vaguely similar? Canada, Germany and Switzerland are all countries with a lot of law-making / decision-making at the provincial/Länder/canton level as well as federal. And in Switzerland afaik every man of 'military fighting' age is required to keep a gun in his own house, yet there aren't daily reports of gun violence coming out of Switzerland. So what's the difference between the Swiss and the Americans in relation to gun violence? I don't know personally, but there are quite a lot of answers in this article Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings not to mention an explanation on the requirement for men to keep a serviced gun in their house. MOO

But isn't it worth looking into when you consider the gun violence taking place in the US atm? Canada isn't the US, obviously, but there are a number of similarities between the 2 countries IMHO. I used to live in Canada, btw. So why isn't there a similar amount of gun violence in Canada?

And within one country, there have to be things that work all over the country even if in some parts of the country or in some segments of society these measures/laws are unpopular, otherwise there would be anarchy. MOO
Excellent post, interesting article. It again points to the “individualism vs common good” discussion.

RSBM

Switzerland has a long history of regulating ammo, as well.
For instance, all ammo must be marked and traceable.
Firing ranges distribute the ammo used, monitoring the shots and unused ammo is returned.

Fedlex

Switzerland has a long history of regulating ammo, as well.
For instance, all ammo must be marked and traceable.
Firing ranges distribute the ammo used, monitoring the shots and unused ammo is returned.

Fedlex
BBM. I think regulating ammo is key. Our Federal government should tightly regulate the sale of ammo.

Well, we had the shooting in Vancouver yesterday ( a miracle that wasn't a blood bath). Today two strangers in Toronto argue over a parking place, one is brutally stabbed. Why are people soooo willing to resort to violence for everything?

BBM. I think regulating ammo is key. Our Federal government should tightly regulate the sale of ammo.

Might be good, too, if they prohibit young people from owning firearms.

I was reading about the South Dakota governor's 2 year old granddaughter having a shotgun and a rifle.
Legal by both SD state law, and federal law (I looked it up) ... because they are long guns and not hand guns.

I was trying to imagine a long gun in the hands of the little almost-2-year-old in my family. The one who still sometimes trips over her own feet, and randomly pushes buttons on the dishwasher/remote control/anywhere to see what they will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem