Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is something I found interesting and you guys can sleuth it while you are stuck inside. During the recent snow storm over Alabama, NASA and the University of Alabama launched some weather balloons and discovered some interesting things during that "thunder snow" event. I don't think I ever remember hearing about so much "thunder snow" before. Anyways, they found something called "gravity waves" that seemed to impact the heavy snow fall. Here is a snippet from the article, and a link to it:

"Knupp said 11 gravity waves rippled across Huntsville and Madison County that night. They cause rapid cooling in clouds, and that might have triggered the heavy snow. One wave passed over moments before a National Weather Service employee reported an inch of snow fall in 20 minutes, UAH said.
The team did find the storm waves they were looking for. "At one point, between 9 p.m. and midnight, the Huntsville airport reported four inches of snowfall in one hour," Knupp said. "That might happen in the Midwest, but not often. It will be very rare down here. I won't be surprised if that was caused by the interaction of one of these bands with a gravity wave."

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/01/huntsvilles_9_inch_january_sno.html

hi peeps!!!!! checking in for the metro D area... no snow yet... but veeeeerrrry very (did I say very?) cold...

we now have a blizzard warning as well... snow is supposed to kick up it's feet around 1pm and the storm is to last 18 hours!!!!!

I just have to add this...

the birds are acting absolutely PSYCHO!!!! there are flocks of them all over.. and they are furiously digging in all of my flower beds!!! poor little birdies!!! I have also seen a LOT of robins today too.. and they are just acting NUTS!!!

-2 wind chill here with about 2 inches of snow and thick layer of ice...DFW area...also known as Super Bowl central.

Here is your friendly neighborhood shopping during a blizzard update:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I would eat the walls before I would do that again under these particular conditions.

Here is your friendly neighborhood shopping during a blizzard update:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I would eat the walls before I would do that again under these particular conditions.

Hehehehe. I have made the decision to send hubby out on that errand.

I just have to add this...

the birds are acting absolutely PSYCHO!!!! there are flocks of them all over.. and they are furiously digging in all of my flower beds!!! poor little birdies!!! I have also seen a LOT of robins today too.. and they are just acting NUTS!!!

I have suet out and they are attacking it, too.

You don't see any birds here right now. Or squirrels. The only animal I saw on my trip to the store was a dog. Both of my animals are curled up with their tails over their noses.

That's probably a bad sign.

You don't see any birds here right now. Or squirrels. The only animal I saw on my trip to the store was a dog. Both of my animals are curled up with their tails over their noses.

That's probably a bad sign.

for the last few weeks/past month I have hardly seen a bird... a cardinal here and there...

then BAM!!! all of a sudden they are all over the trees... on the ground...flying around... chirping... jumping all over the eves of my house (there are like five or six that act like they want to fly thru the window right into my lap)...

it is NUTS!!!

They are actually making ME nuts right now and giving me a huge guilt trip because I forgot to get them more food at the grocery store!!!!

eta: will send dh... cause I aint going back in the grocery store...

Checking in from Okla! Had 2 inches of sleeting/rain about 2am turned to ice about 3 and snow ever since...probably 6 inches already and no sign of let up. The good news...still have electricity and internet. Definitely will be hunkered down today....:fence: about doctor's apt.

Here is something I found interesting and you guys can sleuth it while you are stuck inside. During the recent snow storm over Alabama, NASA and the University of Alabama launched some weather balloons and discovered some interesting things during that "thunder snow" event. I don't think I ever remember hearing about so much "thunder snow" before. Anyways, they found something called "gravity waves" that seemed to impact the heavy snow fall. Here is a snippet from the article, and a link to it:

"Knupp said 11 gravity waves rippled across Huntsville and Madison County that night. They cause rapid cooling in clouds, and that might have triggered the heavy snow. One wave passed over moments before a National Weather Service employee reported an inch of snow fall in 20 minutes, UAH said.
The team did find the storm waves they were looking for. "At one point, between 9 p.m. and midnight, the Huntsville airport reported four inches of snowfall in one hour," Knupp said. "That might happen in the Midwest, but not often. It will be very rare down here. I won't be surprised if that was caused by the interaction of one of these bands with a gravity wave."

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/01/huntsvilles_9_inch_january_sno.html

I wonder if that's related to what caused the bird deaths?

Oklahoma Update: 9 degrees feels like 7 below zero......8 inches of snow, still snowing...
Wind gusts 35 mph....EVERYTHING shut down......Entire state declared state of emergency......

Spring, where are you??????

3 degrees Fahrenheit here. Not much snow yet, but still under "severe storm advisory."

Oklahoma Update: 9 degrees feels like 7 below zero......8 inches of snow, still snowing...
Wind gusts 35 mph....EVERYTHING shut down......Entire state declared state of emergency......

Spring, where are you??????

my weather guy just posted this about your state!!!:

Feb. 1, 12:07 p.m. - Sean Ash

Impressive storm reports coming in from southern Plains:

*roof collapse at HardRock Cafe in Catoosa, OK.

*Meosnet site in Boise City, OK reporting -36 wind chill... coldest ever wind chill for state of Oklahoma

*12" in Tulsa, OK
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/weather-blog-live-updates-on-the-snowstorm

I just heard on the news that they expect Chicago to have 18ft waves!!! Thats unbelievable!
Her in upstate NY, we are having a ministorm before tomorrows big one. Not sure how much we got today,but by tomorrow night totals could be up to 30 inches. Yuck!

The poor birds. Just the other day even though it was cold,the birds sounded like spring birds. I don't know where they are going to hide.

Oklahoma update!

Wow! Indian nation turnpike closed, 169 closed to 412, Turner turnpike, Muskogee turnpike closed 3 foot drifts on on ramps. Hope everyone has enough food for the next few days. They won't be making any deliveries to the stores!

DFW airport in Dallas closed

Sooner,

you nixed the doctor visit right? Stay safe down there in OK!!! (DS was born in Ardmore!)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indiana_intrigue
Back