Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'M new -
have been following since finding out Mollie was missing.

If I'm correct in Tommy Bearsons case (ND) (he was from near my hometown) they got to look at the exact details of his snapchat correct? Or was it that people just remembered?
From reading the Snapchat guide for law enforcement, they can get the metadata but not the actual content in most cases.

I'm not even going to ask you for your source, because that is just incorrect.

There are three types of kidnappings.

Family kidnapping 49%
Acquaintance kidnapping 27%
Stranger kidnapping 24%

The family has been cleared. So we can eliminate that possibility. That leaves the other possibilities: acquaintance (53% chance) and stranger (47% chance). For the most part I think her acquaintances have been cleared. They probably have some more investigation to do into that, but I'm sure a lot of acquaintances have been cleared. Which pushes the odds of the kidnapper being a stranger way up.

Thursday Edition: Kidnapping Facts
Respectfully and to my knowledge her brothers were cleared, her bf and her bf's brother were cleared. I have no idea how much more family Mollie has living in the area ie cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. I'm not suggesting any of them but I haven't heard of any clearance other than what I mentioned. Again, I'm not suggesting any of them, just making a point.

Wasn't it found near the pig farm they had been searching? If found after the search doesn't it stand to reason if the perp place it there he/she would want them to keep looking there......like a red herring.....throwing them off?
The potential clue — a red shirt — was found Thursday by a person mowing a lawn near the Lincoln Wildfire Reserve in Brooklyn, Iowa, Fox News reported.

Couple points:

1. She was raised in a rural town, but actually lived at the University of Iowa. That's in a small city of 80,000 about an hour away.
2. She did things more than most Iowa small towners -- she was recently in Oakland and was slated to go to ?Dominican Republic.

She knew how to handle complex situations.

I think this is a very good possibility. He's a spokesperson, not an investigator in this case, I think. (Not confirmed anywhere, just what it seems like to me.)

He did not reply.

That was the night AFTER the night she went missing, I believe. After they had reported her missing. I'm sure it made the initial search challenging, though.
I think this is a very good possibility. He's a spokesperson, not an investigator in this case, I think. (Not confirmed anywhere, just what it seems like to me.)

He did not reply.

That was the night AFTER the night she went missing, I believe. After they had reported her missing. I'm sure it made the initial search challenging, though.

Isn’t there usually a back and forth on texts, Snapchat, etc.? A comment on the pic or how are the dogs etc...?

Reactions: d4j
I can see where Mollie gets her wonderful qualities. Her Parents for sure. My heart breaks for them. I think reality is hitting them. Whether based on some new evidence or passage of time. Or both.

I agree completely.
It is apparent that the family is well bred--good people.
I wish all the best.

BBM

He said he opened the snap about 10PM. Boyfriend of missing college student not a suspect

Around 10 p.m. last Wednesday, Jack opened a SnapChat message from his girlfriend. He said when he opened it, he expected to talk to her again soon.

"It was just a selfie with a caption, and I don't remember what the caption said," he said. "It looked like she was inside."

It's unclear what time Tibbetts sent the message, but Jack told ABC News that it would have been part of her routine to go running a few hours before the time he opened it.

My understanding is that there is some confusion re: when opened. That her cousin, when interviewed, said that he opened it that night, but that when he was interviewed/speaking to the press he said he fell asleep prior and opened the following morning. I don't know which is accurate.

Reactions: d4j
I think he was trying to be stone faced as to not give anything away. I actually get the feeling he's a really good kid.

I get that feeling too. I think I didn’t explain my thought very well. If LE is looking at someone he knows well (or anyone from the town), he could be mad that someone he thought he knew or could trust would do something to possibly harm Mollie. JMO because I thought he looked angry compared to last press conference.

I've seen this repeated several times here and don't understand the sentiment.

How much more of a timeline and location do you need? You know When she was last seen, where she was last seen, what she was suspected to be wearing, what she looks like, ect. Not trying to be combative but this constant demand for specifics seems silly. They are withholding information to help the investigation, not out of incompetence.
Well, for one whether or not they can confirm an evening or a morning abduction. Where her Fitbit or cell phone pinged. Basic stuff so folks who were in the area during the time period can think about what they may have seen.

I’ve just seen too Many cases where the failure to release even basic information has meant the case turned into a cold case.

I have never heard LE ask the public for the reason a person is missing. This blows my mind...as I can’t help but think they do not know. Sorry to repeat myself but why would they ask this?? Who could know the reason except and unless there is a perp?

Also, no doubt LE is working round the clock...but that does not mean they are making progress.

I think they are asking 1) the perp directly and hoping to get him/her to break and 2) anyone that may suspect or know the reason but is afraid to come forward (helped cover up an accident? SO or child or friend or roommate was gone that evening uncharacteristically and they fear involvement? Acquaintance or friend that mollie may have confided in about recent issues?)

My understanding is that there is some confusion re: when opened. That her cousin, when interviewed, said that he opened it that night, but that when he was interviewed/speaking to the press he said he fell asleep prior and opened the following morning. I don't know which is accurate.

I have heard a cousin say that he opened it the next morning, but I haven't seen him say that. Can you point me toward that, please?

Perhaps this was an innocent accident and that person is afraid to come forward.
To my knowledge we have no evidence of any violence in this case. We have no knowledge of her having been stalked, no evidence of anyone being upset with her, no evidence of any struggle, no evidence of her being kidnapped, no evidence of her being alive or dead. Only that she is missing.

<modsnipped - dreams are not allowed here>

I think LE is either a) being taunted by a perp or b) investigating someone close to Mollie. If they didn't have something, I think the FBI would have gone home by this point.

I wish the FBI would take the lead! They may be confident in their "Mollie timeline" but it hasn't brought her home! And by not releasing even the routes she might have run or being honest about the RED SHIRT or ... he sounded today as though he was there to deflect from his agency's inability to solve a missing person case in BROOKLYN - population 1500. God

I think it depends. I don't think he's the lead investigator on this case, but the spokesperson to the media. I can see a situation in which he would intentionally NOT have all the details in order to make it less likely for him to slip up in these press conferences.

This guy is the DIRECTOR - he is not the information officer. I expected him to be ON TIME, up to date with all details especially when he told the press don't call us, wait for the next PC and I will answer your questions then.

Honestly I was too optimistic during the last PC. I didn't like the way they were dressed (suits?), put the podium in the grass in Montezuma- they could have carried that podium or used one in Brooklyn, where the people stood (bad camera angle off camera for most), ...

his time, it was even worse - sticking the family behind them to me appeared cruel! The Director seemed unorganized, uninformed, and uncooperative.

Just my opinion.

HORRIBLE, just horrible. Either they found it or they didn't. Can anyone tell me why saying anything that would stop the rumor mill as well as give the public anything they can draw confidence in their LE would be bad?

If the point of the PC was to educate the public - FAILED
If the point of the PC was to encourage the public - FAILED
If the point of the PC was the inform the public - FAILED

OK I give up - what was the point today? And doing it late? WOW.

JMO
I have to agree with you and for a main reason. I am a firm believer that LE has to provide at least small nugget to garner quality tips that can help the public help them.

Proof. I cant count the number of times that when LE finally released a video of a suspect's vehicle or a suspect on camera then shortly after the public calls in a tip and that person is arrested.

We have to have something to go on. Anything. And there are definitely some things they could release that would not harm the investigation at all.

Its really sad to me how this is being handled. Two press conferences now with practically zero information. Im willing to bet some reporters quit going to these for the next one Tuesday.

Saddened by this because it does not help the public help them find her.

Last edited:
I get that feeling too. I think I didn’t explain my thought very well. If LE is looking at someone he knows well (or anyone from the town), he could be mad that someone he thought he knew or could trust would do something to possibly harm Mollie. JMO because I thought he looked angry compared to last press conference.

To me, it was a face of someone trying to be really strong because he was on the verge of completely bawling. Almost like he was tensing his face to prevent it from crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico