Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but let's keep it real. Mollie was working full time, taking online courses towards her university degree, and she has a serious boyfriend. Do we really think that she had time and inclination to sneak around behind everyone's back with a stranger who is actually a murderer?

I have no idea just as no one else does, either. I was just posting my interpretation of a post that was being interpreted differently. I don't think that is what happened but can't rule it out, either.

ETA: Part of the discussion was around her being flattered possibly by someone showing her attention. That does not equal to actually "sneaking around." She was very active on many social media platforms and none of us have any idea what discussion was going on in private messages/snaps. But, LE definitely does. MOO.

Last edited:
He wouldn't... But they have the data... In 2003 they could actually pull the info, but now it's not available at the local level

That makes sense to me and what I assumed to be true. Can't imagine why they wouldn't have it today. But, lots of reason they wouldn't be publicly announcing it or making it easy for LE to obtain (privacy). Moo.

For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, like immediate attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?
Hi Parks~;)

I have been holding out hope that Mollie is alive. However, there are several things that make me sense that this is a total stranger abduction and initially it is how quickly the FBI came in. The articles below regarding FBI coming in are dated beginning on July 23rd. What could have happened in the days prior? It was even said initially by LC that 1 FBI agent was assigned, then 15 were expected but even more showed up. Mollie Tibbetts: FBI hopeful Fitbit, social media accounts can help locate missing college student What happened in these early days and alerted local LE to call in the FBI? Any why such a strong and aggressive number of FBI? I do think that local LE was spot on to ask FBI to come in quickly.
Most cases are lucky to get that 1 fbi agent who does support. I mean how many cases have we followed where we hope and beg LE to get involved before too much time passes. We all realistically know these outcomes. But, with each new case we support the family and try to have "hope".

July 23rd
Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery
The searches were called off Monday, according to local news outlets, and Calderwood said the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the FBI are expected to join the investigation.

July 23rd
FBI joins hunt for missing University of Iowa student
FBI joins hunt for missing University of Iowa student
Mortvedt said FBI and Iowa investigators are concentrating on areas around Brooklyn that Tibbetts has known to have gone to in the past.
The FBI is also using an array of computer forensics — such as studying online history and cellphone app usage — in an effort to pinpoint where she might be, he said.
"This could shake out a bunch of different ways," Mortvedt said. "We are hoping and praying for the best outcome."

July 26
Mollie Tibbetts: FBI hopeful Fitbit, social media accounts can help locate missing college student
Mollie’s mother, Laura Calderwood, told HLN on Wednesday that additional FBI agents were on their way to join in. What started out as one agent on the case has quickly turned into numerous joining in to help find Mollie.

“That turned into approximately 15 FBI agents,” Calderwood said. “In my morning brief this morning, I have been told there’s more on the way.”

jmo

You first physiological responses are
1. Autolysis: when the enzymes release (also rigor mortis)
2. Bloating: gas release. Bacteria etc. A body can double in size. (look at old Civil War photos)
3. Active decay
4. Skeletonization
OK, thanks, but I was wondering at what point the feeding by maggots begin and the stages of their activity, and how long it takes to repeat itself ( laying eggs, larvae, fly, and repetition of that process. I know I'm not wording it very well but that's what I wanted to know. If it stays heated up for 50 days there must be a few generations? And why wouldn't they still be looking for a body using infrared unless they have reason to believe they won't find a body?

As someone mentioned, there are apps that monitor follower/unfollowed behavior. If you don't have that, and you know which follower you're checking on, you can go to their Twitter and check their follow status. If someone just unfollows, the only historical info visible on either acct would be previous RT's and @mentions. But yes, if an acct closes, they are no longer a follower because they don't exist.

Also, as a Twitter FYI for those unfamiliar with it, it's either totally public or totally private, and in the case of the latter, no content is visible unless you're a follower, and in that case you will be a pending follow until it's approved by the acct owner. Most Twitter accts are public and visible, because the idea of Twitter, unlike FB where in theory you're primarily or strictly 'friends' with known people, is to generate interaction via engaging with other people's content and getting them to engage with yours. That's hard to do with private accts.
There are apps you can put on your phone that will track your precise location using satellite data. Like I posted earlier, this is how Charli Scott's family and LE found evidence in the lush rainforest near Keanae, Maui. Life 360 was the app that she and her family had. It was extremely helpful in that case.

Times have changed, and in this regard especially, I think it’s a very good thing.
To address the speculation of pregnancy, or some illicit affair, there is absolutely no evidence of either of these things. I don’t think it’s fair to Mollie, her friends, or her family, to engage in this sort of dialogue. It’s a stretch at best, and most importantly, not rooted in any known facts.

True, didn't include any names. It can be removed if you think it should?

VeVeracity, Interesting about the construction job. I read on another site a few days or so ago about someone that suspected Mollie was abducted by a construction worker.

It certainly could be in the realm of possibility.

This reminds me of what happened to my mother years ago. Also, Admin if this is not allowed then please delete and my apologies. Also forgive any spelling errors as I wrote this from my phone.

In the late 1970s when I was about 6 years old my parents purchased a house in a brand new neighborhood. So, there were new homes under construction around the area. My father always left for work around 8:00 a.m. during the work week.

One morning after my dad left for work a man who looked like a construction worker came to the door. He rang the doorbell and banged on the door. My mother asked through the door, “who is it and what do you want?” He said he thought my mom was pretty and knew her husband was not home. He matter of fact told her to open this door now or he was going to break a window and get her!

So my pretty, tough and quick thinking mother ran to the kitchen and grabbed a butcher knife. She went to the window closest to the front door where he could see her. She told him that if he broke into our house she would most certainly try and fight till she killed him!

When he heard her and saw the look on her face he took off running. Afterward my shaken mother immediately called the sheriffs dept.

The Sheriff dept. came out and confirmed that a man had been stalking young women in the area. An assault had already been linked to a man fitting his description. They had also agreed that the area construction is likely where he came from.

After all this happened, my parents had a home alarm installed and mom would often bring this story up through the years.

My point of this story? This supposed worker had obviously been stalking my mother by watching her and my father’s habits. He made direct threats and demands for her to open the door like he was not new to this kind of thing. But, my parents never knew of him until that morning.

This was a middle class neighborhood and the area was known to be safe. But, possibly due to workers in the area? Out of the blue this stalker guy came out of nowhere and with motive to harm.

It’s 2018 and please, always be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:
I think they are definitely waiting on more information. Whether it is information they expect to have (my hope) or waiting to see if something more can be pulled out with time, there is no way to tell.

With nothing new to report in such a high profile case (and perhaps from the investigators viewpoint stressful and intimidating) a delay might give them more time to work out something new.

If the presser gets delayed again, it would be hard to fathom a reason it was rescheduled in the first place, and not cancelled indefinitely.

They might be waiting for evidence, DNA or something else, to be processed, and then it comes back negative or inconclusive--so there's nothing to say.

Last edited:
Oh geez, please don't make me wade back through Lord knows how many pages to find where I read that. I am certain I did, but just take it with a grain of salt if you need to, because I did my 6th day in a row at work today, and honestly don't think I have the energy to search for it now. Maybe someone else read that too, or if not, if a mod wants to delete my post, my feelings wont be hurt.

Got you covered! Per Google. Honestly I think it's the reporters opinion and not LE. I too read it earlier so I had to find it!!!

A press conference scheduled for Friday will now be at 3 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13, at the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office, according to a news release from the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. No reason was given for the postponement.

The press conference had previously been scheduled for Tuesday, but authorities had moved it to Friday.

On Monday, authorities say they will provide updates regarding the investigative response for Tibbetts. They say information is still coming in, and that the investigation remains active.

Authorities postpone update again on missing Iowa woman Mollie Tibbetts (with photos)

True, didn't include any names. It can be removed if you think it should?
I was just addressing something that has been mentioned by several posters, I wasn’t going after one particular post, this just reminded me that I’d seen it several times. I guess we’ll need a mod to chime in, just my opinion.

True, but let's keep it real. Mollie was working full time, taking online courses towards her university degree, and she has a serious boyfriend. Do we really think that she had time and inclination to sneak around behind everyone's back with a stranger who is actually a murderer?

So, you're like the Einstein or Hawking of the WS, Otto. Or the Issac Newton if you prefer better hair.

Totally agree with you.

So we've speculated about whether a guy (any random guy, not thinking of a particular person here) might have taken her friendly personality as more than she intended.

What if it wasn't the guy, but the guy's girlfriend/partner/whatever?

I'm not yet convinced it's a male. Maybe due to some personal speculation, but I'm leaning toward a possible female being responsible.

THIS!!!! I do not wish to get OT but this is a safety issue for ALL people who have SM. My son has been in the military since 9/11. Last year he was deployed to Europe for 6.5 months. While he was away the base sent out an alert to all spouses that they need to be aware of their surroundings because several spouses had reported having had encounters with middle eastern men which were rather frightening. I am NOT singling out or attacking such people, let that be clear!!!

O/T I got the same memo about three years ago. It took me off social media and WS for the most part. Had to remove all moto stickers, anything identifying as part of the military. To keep my opsec, I had to take a mini course on how to recognize spies. I carried mace and a gun. Scary times.

OK, thanks, but I was wondering at what point the feeding by maggots begin and the stages of their activity, and how long it takes to repeat itself ( laying eggs, larvae, fly, and repetition of that process. I know I'm not wording it very well but that's what I wanted to know. If it stays heated up for 50 days there must be a few generations? And why wouldn't they still be looking for a body using infrared unless they have reason to believe they won't find a body?
IF, God forbid, there is a body, and I know this is a very real possibility, there will be clues. Many times, LE can predict time of death based on maggot activity. There's a lifecycle, as you pointed out. Honestly, I really don't want to go there yet.

For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, like immediate attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?

I feel for the dad, and I'd love for his theory to be correct, but I think it's a stretch to think someone misconstrued interest and then "got in over their head." I just don't think the average joe who gets rebuffed by a woman then goes immediately to abducting said woman. I would think there would be some embarrassment and shame, regret probably, but that would be about it. Now, someone who was an acquaintance and had a secret interest in her, I could see someone like that turning out to be a creep and just taking an opportunity to abduct her.

My own thought, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong, is that it was either a) a stranger who grabbed her off the street during her run, b) an acquaintance whom she accepted a ride with, or 3) an altercation with someone she knew, which resulted in her death (accidental or intentional) and cover up of the crime. Unfortunately, none of these possibilities has a positive outcome, so again, I hope I'm very wrong!

Last edited:
BBM
A polygraph test that is "fairly unbiased" doesn't seem reliable to me.

I have taken one on occasion... If you can get the control questions to elicit the same response as the interview questions, anyone can pass... This isn't too hard to do... If you believe it it's not a lie...

Oh, I didn't know about that, I'll have to look it up, thank you!

Get ready for a roller coaster ride. That guy is evil. So incredibly taunting. They made a made for TV movie about the case.

He killed one wife after having his super young second wife assist him in being cruel to her and then presumably killed the second wife who by that time had realized what he was.

She had two kids by him and was rasinghis older children when she disappeared. He never allowed his second wife's family to see the kids again.

Even after he was arrested his older son would not allow them to see the kids. I don't think they ever had. That really upset me.

If Googlemaps is to be believed, her mother's house is just outside city limits. The red line marks city limits; the house is on Bear Drive just to the north. I tried to put in a marker but that made the red line disappear :p

Not that I can see how it matters in this case...

Google Maps

It should allow the little Google man to go right to the house.

If Googlemaps is to be believed, her mother's house is just outside city limits. The red line marks city limits; the house is on Bear Drive just to the north. I tried to put in a marker but that made the red line disappear :p

Not that I can see how it matters in this case...

Google Maps

You're right, though, it is considered outside city limits.

I was just addressing something that has been mentioned by several posters, I wasn’t going after one particular post, this just reminded me that I’d seen it several times. I guess we’ll need a mod to chime in, just my opinion.

You have an excellent point.

My opinion would be that it's biology, and really is not a stigma. But if it appears insulting then it should be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay