Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...sing-students-father-wants-help-not-sympathy/

Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student, went on an evening jog almost two weeks ago and has not been seen since, authorities said. Dozens of volunteers and investigators from federal, state and local agencies have scoured ditches, cornfields, empty buildings and pig farms in the small Iowa town of Brooklyn, population of nearly 1,500, searching for the young woman.

“What we need is for people to tell their friends and neighbors that if they saw anything that seemed even remotely out of the ordinary to call the authorities, and they will run that down,” Rob Tibbetts told “Good Morning America.” “The authorities have told us again and again and again that all the similar cases like this are always solved by some tip.”

Here are my speculations
1. I believe she could have been hit while running . In a town like this there are not designated jogging paths. She was running on a roadway most likely. She had to cross streets at some point! Either way, someone could have hit her. Brooklyn IA is not like some places where there are steady streams of runners making their way along paths. Do we even know if there is a greenway of any kind in that town? Where local joggers usually run? Were there any others in that tiny town? Or was Mollie a floating anomaly?

2- she literally ran into/crossed paths with someone who abducted her. Someone could have been laying in wait for her. Or knew her movements well enough - remember media said she ran one of three routes- and she was overpowered in some way. (could be 1 and 2 are both in play?)

The TIME of day and day itself is what gets me - it was a CHURCH NIGHT! And the time line begins just after folks are getting off of work. So even in a sleepy little town like Brooklyn there should be folks out and about.
If she was doing homework late that night I doubt she went back out running. Can I ask what a Church Night is?

Is it ok to reference other cases and make comparisons? Like, can I say, do y'all remember the Lauren Giddens case in Macon, GA? Remember her next door neighbor, Stephen McDainel her killer gave that bizarre, creepy, rambling interview that a random reporter just happened to chat with him. Investigators turned their attention to him almost immediately after such an odd interview. So, my statement on how it pertains to this case is, can we get a local reporter to get some folks interviewed up???

Last edited:
I wish we knew who NORMALLY took her to work. And who was planning to take her to work the morning she disappeared. Since that information hasn't been revealed, I figure it is pertinent. She obviously had other arrangements to get to work at least some of the time since her brother called her to see if she needed a ride/the car. If he always took her, or she always drove herself, he wouldn't have needed to check with her. He would have known.
One possibility is that her BF or others in the house usually gave her a lift to work.

Still, that leaves the question about the day she went missing. Her housemates weren't around and we haven't heard any information about the morning commute.

If she planned to make arrangement that evening, then she probably went missing that evening before plans were solidified. If she already had plans for a morning ride....well...who was the driver?

jmo

I don't know if it helps, but these look like work out selfies to me.
They are also G rated compared to what many 10-15 year old girls are posting publicly.

The danger is who is able to view their stuff ! Too many walk the line between too trusting or laissez-faire and put themselves in unwittingly in the cross hairs of danger.

If she was doing homework late that night I doubt she went back out running. Can I ask what a Church Night is?
Many churches have midweek services on Wednesdays. It's also a night for youth programs at churches too. Might be more popular in the midwest than elsewhere. (I grew up in the midwest but am now on the east coast. I haven't noticed midweek services on the east coast, but sure did have them while growing up. Very common.)

The danger is who is able to view their stuff ! Too many walk the line between too trusting or laissez-faire and put themselves in unwittingly in the cross hairs of danger.
Right. It's not about the intention of the person posting, but the creepiness of people looking.

I do think Mollie's intentions were not to be provocative, fwiw.

jmo

What we need is for people to tell their friends and neighbors that if they saw anything that seemed even remotely out of the ordinary to call the authorities, and they will run that down,” Rob Tibbetts told “Good Morning America.” “The authorities have told us again and again and again that all the similar cases like this are always solved by some tip.”

From the link I last posted. Are they just relying on tips from the public?

A key piece of the jigsaw for me is the phone pings.

LE must by now have a full set of pings for the Wed/Thursday, so, why do they not appear able to identify where she was.

I'm going to assume that Mollie had her phone on her run as most runners take their phones with them (I know this from my own experience and from an online runing community I belong to)> from that, assuming the battery didn't go flat on the run, they know where and when she went which can be matched up with any CCTV along the route.

Thus they know if she made it home, again an assumption but I'm going to believe the family when they say that she did and she was on her computer at home. We know the phone is missing so either Mollie took it whereever she went and pings will tell us where or it was disposed of somehow by Mollie or persons unknown but still LE would know when it last pinged a tower.

I just can't understand why this information isn't being made public and I also don't understand why there doesn't seem to be much LE/FBI activity in actively searching the place of the last ping. We know the hog farm searches were from tips not phone activity.

Locals - have you seen or heard of searches?

I'm totally baffled by the apparent lack of use of technological clues. This is super frustrating when it seems like much more could be being done to find Mollie

Fantastic post - I am right there with you!

I know Mollie was 20 but wasn't she only a rising sophomore? If so, the fact that she has psychology as her declared major may not mean anything much at all. A majority of kids change their majors especially after just 1 year of school. But also in many of the schools my daughters' friends have attended you don't get an advisor until you declare a major. So if psychology was a interest and had some classes she wanted to take and would fill some Gen Ed requirements, she may have just declared psychology. It may not be anything more than that.
Earlier interview, Mollie's mother stated that she also majored in Psych so it does not sound unusual to me.

Depending how she was doing her HW, LE could have a very specific timeline for that. For instance, if she was typing any documents in Google Drive, it literally time stamps every single edit you make, and you can go back and look at every single edit someone made.

I just wish we knew for sure if she definitely did or definitely did not make it back to the home safely from her run. I also agree with whoever said upthread that time of night makes it seem like others besides the one neighbor interviewed should have seen her running. Now maybe others did come forward but just didn't/didn't want to be interviewed for a news story. Any time between 530 and 8 or so (which it sounds like she ran sometime between these times), people would be getting home from work, if the weather was nice, people may be out mowing/doing yard work, walking dogs, kids playing, etc. I know from the Google maps of her bf's house that that area looked a bit isolated, but it appears she did run through some neighborhoods (or at least if she was heading towards her mom's/town). Hopefully others did see her jogging and came forward to police and we just don't know about it.

I've decided the red shirt doesn't bother me too much (at least for now). They keep describing her as wearing the sports top, etc, the last time she was seen, so I think they have reason to believe she went missing wearing those clothes. It could be the red shirt was at work, tucked away somewhere no one knows (although I'm assuming they dug through all her belongings thoroughly), maybe she had gotten a ride home from work previously with a co-worker or someone and accidentally left it in their car. Who knows.

My daughter works at a day camp (in MA) and she goes in either at 9am or 11:45, depending on the day, staffing etc. Second daughter attends a camp and start time is 9am. I know they have before-camp Care, for working parents, but not all counselors need to be there early.
Thank you, I was thinking it was a day care facility. I do wonder why she didn't contact her brother the night before, to ask him to take her to work, or to tell him she needed the car. I guess she must have gotten rides to work from other people/another person, at those times when her brother had to use the car. Her mom indicated that mollie had been staying at that house all summer, so definitely long enough for someone to see her, establish a rapport with her, and know her patterns quite well.

Going from a small town of 1,400 with a graduation class of 40 (living at home) to a big university (living in a dorm) had to be quite the adjustment. Excited but overwhelmed?

What we need is for people to tell their friends and neighbors that if they saw anything that seemed even remotely out of the ordinary to call the authorities, and they will run that down,” Rob Tibbetts told “Good Morning America.” “The authorities have told us again and again and again that all the similar cases like this are always solved by some tip.”

From the link I last posted. Are they just relying on tips from the public?

There is so much that LE hasn't confirmed that I'd guess they already have a good idea of either a suspect or what happened. Otherwise, the confirmed info out there just isn't that great if they are actually hoping to get tips. There have been questions about what time, what she was wearing, the location, red shirt or no red shirt, during jog or after jog, etc. I think they know more than they are letting on and are waiting on something more concrete to pin something on someone and can't give out more specific stuff without showing some of their cards. Unfortunately that sometimes makes LE look like they either aren't doing a good job which I think is probably happening this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
welsh98