Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I’m sure LE and FBI are digging into that

But all we know right now is that he was sent to work because there was no work at home

Why wasn’t he in school at home?

I read somewhere he comes from a town of about 4oo

Going to research into the schools there

My hunch is that he was older and was sent here to work, they all know what are laws are and use them to their advantage

If he was a dreamer he would have been in school especially the year he supposedly came here

Jessica Ridgeway's 17 year old abductor thought about it and decided the easiest way to abduct someone with a car is to stop a little ahead of them, grab them as they approach the car, and throw them into the back seat of the car.

It's much more difficult to stop a car behind someone, catch up to that person jogging, and drag that jogger back to the car. That doesn't add up. Too risky.

Stop the car ahead of the victim, corner the victim with an open back seat door, and leave.

I do believe that she immediately knew that she was in trouble. If she'd had any way out, this discussion wouldn't exist.
This makes so much more sense than stopping the car behind her. Except I think he opened his trunk, not the back seat door. Could have pretended he had a flat tire to keep her from instantly suspecting anything “off” enough to trigger fight or flight response.

There must have been pretty girls in town for him to date. He picked a pretty cheerleader and got her pregnant! I'm sure there were more. But for some reason there was Mollie all alone on that middle of nowhere road. Maybe as the show SNAPPED shows he snapped!

I know I wrote about this before, but I'm thinking again about the questions to LC about Mollie being "in a home" at 9:45. Makes me wonder if her phone did connect to her home wireless if he drove her past it or near it. Or if the fitbit looked like she made it home (as the neighbor said LE told them it did) because she was driven past DJ's house. Not sure if the times line up or not. Maybe he drove around for a minute with her in the trunk, figuring out where to go.
I've contemplated the 9:45pm statement, too. I have always wondered if MT's phone tried to connect to a mobile wi-fi in the area of the pig farm (last digital signal). Who knows.

Yep. And girls his age would have most likely moved on from the small town mindset and were looking for more than a guy living in squalor and tending the cows. Not that there is anything wrong with working in that way, it’s that a lot of women want more stability than that. JMO

I think he had a chip on his shoulder due to rejection

This makes so much more sense than stopping the car behind her. Except I think he opened his trunk, not the back seat door. Could have pretended he had a flat tire to keep her from instantly suspecting anything “off” enough to trigger fight or flight response.
Not sure what year the Malibu is, but if newer he could simply pop the trunk from inside before he jumped out

Parents have an awesome responsibility here...for years you raise them covering the bases keeping them safe and checking on and verifying to and from school, after school events, friendships, other adults and their connections online and then their upper teens and privacy is paramount to them. You don’t want to fill them with paranoia and fear so it’s addressed but not the unnerving details. Preparing them for reaction time and giving them tools to use in case they are in a situation. Self defense classes strengthen their sense of and ability to react. Mace, whistles alarms also good to have in your possession. I have addressed several things with my 18 yo daughter just starting college and she has also voiced her own ideas related to her personal safety. One thing that did catch me off guard was parking lot safety she was not really aware of this behaviorally. I just took it for granted she knew all about it, but no she didn’t. Simple maneuvers park up close to entry of business, park where it’s well lit, keep your doors windows closed/locked when in car alone, observe other vehicles/ people near you and at or around the car. Use security to walk you out at night or if you feel someone bothering you is hanging around.
And teach them not be polite. Please. If an elevator has someone in there that gives them creeps, don't get in. If a person comes to the door and seems off, don't answer it. Trust your gut instincts, they're usually right. See the same guy at multiple stores as your shopping, call security. If it seems off, you're picking up on something, so believe it and act accordingly.

So knowing what we know now, what is up w the Snapchat DJ opened at 10 pm?
That's not entirely confirmed yet but the most logical explanation is she sent it before her run (some media has claimed it was a good night message but that has never been confirmed so the timing of it may not be as weird as it sounds). That's the by far most likely explanation there are a few others but they require several huge jumps in logic and do not fit very well with what LE said at the press conference.
I believe it is statutory rape, but I don't know what the statute of limitations is on pressing charges for it or if the state would be in a position to press those charges at this point. Seems like it would muddy the waters.
In Iowa consent age is 16 or 14 if within 5 years of the other person. Given IM was a grade a head of Mollie she is at least 20 (Mollie is actually a bit older than most people in her grade because she has a May 8th birthday but turned 19 during her senior year of high school) that would mean if CR is 24 as claimed and he started dating IM as a sophomore when she would have been at least 15 there would be no statutory rape. Regardless even if it was it would be very hard to prove without IM cooperating and even then it really wouldn't be worth it because there are lots of other things they could tack on as charges that would be more effective.

There must have been pretty girls in town for him to date. He picked a pretty cheerleader and got her pregnant! I'm sure there were more. But for some reason there was Mollie all alone on that middle of nowhere road. Maybe as the show SNAPPED shows he snapped!

This is just my opinion

IM may be here illegally as well and they found common ground, she was younger and in awe

I think that local girls rejected him, he didn’t go to school with them, he was older and working, not many parents would allow their daughters to date someone that much older.

Last edited:
Racism is likely inferred (or mentioned) since he entered the country through THE border and is from Mexico. If he were an Asian refugee who stowed away in an airplane wheel well or luggage compartment, I’m betting the backlash would not be as intense.
Respectfully disagree. I think any brutal sensless murder, by any person (Asian refugee in your example) of any highly relateable young woman from a good family would spark equal outrage.

I think he had a chip on his shoulder due to rejection
I think it's worse than that, I think it's all about power. He posted a pic of guns laying on a bed, he's showing he's powerful. He grooms a minor for a sexual relationship, that's power. He grabbed a healthy woman off the streets and killed her, that was power.

Respectfully disagree. I think any brutal sensless murder, by any person (Asian refugee in your example) of any highly relateable young woman from a good family would spark equal outrage.
Yes I see your point and did not mean to infer lack of outrage on the part of her murder. There is no measure for that. I was referring to the outrage surrounding his allegedly illegal status.

I totally agree with you.

Also stating the facts is not racist

If he had been the blond haired, blue eyed all American football player those would be the stated facts

I agree. How old is he - where's his birth certificate, and where did he live before the dairy farm. So far, from news articles, he may have lived in Blairstown with his uncle at some point, and he has facebook contacts in Tama and Marshalltown.

If he was truly 16, why was he not immediately enrolled in school? If he was 20, then it makes sense that he was too old and uninterested to sit in grade 10 classes. If he wasn't at school and didn't work, what did he do? What name did he use? When did he start using that name?
The migrant workers are very closed mouth about there lives prior to where they are at.
When the migrants move from job to job such as many do, the younger people give some of there pay to there families to help support them. Many of the children, are not made to go to school to help support there families.
It is expected of them to contribute & support the elder parents & siblings.

Because the Facebook connection between Mollie and the ex-girlfriend has been mentioned numerous times, I’m wondering if he somehow heard that she was going to be dog sitting alone and then took the opportunity to attack her when he knew no one would be at the house waiting for her to return. Otherwise, wouldn’t he be worried that after an hour or so, her boyfriend and roommates would be looking for her? If he knew they were out of town then he knew he had additional time to commit the crime, hide her body, and clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trailerguy68