ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I could definitely use some examples of what this means in legal speak. It's sounds very, specific (and intriguing). MOO, JMO
10ofRods
My mind went some place dark. Is there something so awful in what they found at his apartment that they fear public outrage? A need for higher security to protect BK? Possible mob action?

Could be a need to protect the families while they are still in the earlier stages of grieving, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite like the reason.

If what they found in his apartment was so damning (things on his computer?), then perhaps they are trying to protect their prisoner?

My mind went to the same dark place. I don't think they are protecting the families since the families are already in an unimaginably horrible place of pain and grief. My fear is that they found something so awful and damning that they are protecting BK.

I have often thought a taser. That would immediately incapacitate them.

That's a good theory. A couple of decades ago, there was a string of rapes in Colorado and the perp would shock his victims with a cattle prod.

If BK used a taser, that would explain why they said the victims died in their sleep -- because maybe they could only lay there and couldn't fight back.

But, does a taser have to be reloaded? I don't know...

"Authorities have temporarily sealed the search warrant for University of Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger's Washington home - as they claim releasing details could 'prematurely' end the investigation and 'create a threat to public safety'."

This cites avoiding potential threats to law enforcement and could prematurely ending the investigation.

Could this mean that there could have been something illegal about the search warrant or how it was carried out and they could be covering themselves?

One question that has been bothering me that i have not heard discussed. If this person had committed the crime (Bryan)- How did he stab 4 people in the same house and not have anyone yell or scream? I would guess he would have attacked each person individually- (maybe starting with Ethan)- Is it possible this can be done to four people without any noise? Just wondering... is it possible he silenced them somehow?
Asked & answered several times in these threads. Basically, some level of intoxication (M & K) in at least two victims & being awoken from sleep while a knife is plunged into lungs, etc., being surprised by the intruder (X) & likely asleep (E).

The knife was a good weapon in this case - incapacitating victims quickly & silently.

Of course, the debate lives on & many informative posts have posited & explored most, if not all, of your questions.

Welcome to Websleuths!

Just an opinion: it would seem that there is a negative effect of a known TV or media person solving the crime, or even getting into it. (Look at Lucy Letby's case. I am always proceeding from presumption of innocence first, but in general, the fact that the person who first suspected her was already famed "TV doctor", played a negative role in his credibility, IMHO. So best not to have any prior or continuing media connections during the investigation and a trial. MOO).

could prematurely end the investigation = could tip off others to evidence still sought putting it at risk of being destroyed or no longer available. MOO

Which would create a threat to public safety = (evidence suggestive of other individual(s) involvement either before or after the fact?) SPECULATION
----------------------------------------------------------
  • Details of what they found will remain under wraps until March 1
Authorities have temporarily sealed the search warrant for University of Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger's Washington home - as they claim releasing details could 'prematurely' end the investigation and 'create a threat to public safety'.
IDAHO LATEST: Judge seals search warrant for Kohberger's apartment

Hard to speculate at this point without more evidence than the affidavit but, what is your interpretation of what happened on the 3rd floor? specifically with the dog found in K's room and no blood, also the supposed difference in knife wounds between M and K.

Did K leave her room and the dog, to check on noises from M's room?
No idea really. I can think of several possibilities but none is any more likely than any other.

I would guess the public safety concern would be that, if leaked evidence leads to a mistrial or negatively impacts the likelihood of BK being locked up for life, and if he were theoretically allowed to walk free in the future, he could kill more innocents.

I agree. And I also think it is standard verbiage, especially for a quadruple murder. I don’t know if the defense could argue at a later time that the language used was inflammatory? If so, they might use that to request a change of venue. IMO.

Agree, and honestly I'm not sure how or why the "story" would be bigger than ICB, which all but inaugurated the true crime genre in the novel form, and traces a remarkably complex series of relationships between families, investigators, killers and author.

This case, sad and horrific as it was and is for victims and families, strikes me as more of a Petito in terms of its immediate impact and perhaps less so given the oddities of that one in terms of the crime, the recorded interactions, the "chase" and so forth.

In some ways, this was a straightforward if not "simple" crime: man enters house and violently murders inhabitants.

The striking details have more to do with the victimology and the apparent motivations and background/ identity of the suspect, especially so long as it went unsolved.

Now it has been solved. We know who allegedly dunit, even if we won't have a why yet. I'm a bit surprised at the almost fanatical interest it has drawn in some quarters, and the idea of a high-stakes bidding war for the various bits and pieces of the "story" at this point is, IMO, profoundly disrespectful and disappointing, if not unexpected.

IDK. Maybe it will be an expensive acquisition for whomever makes the inevitable TC series. But "bigger than In Cold Blood?" I hope not.
No modern writer can compare to Capote. His In Cold Blood was written with such clarity and precision that it gave the reader a "You Are There" experience. Chilling, immediate, and spine-tingling.

Woman details Tinder date with Idaho suspect Bryan Kohberger in viral TikTok​

A woman who claims she went on a Tinder date with Bryan Kohberger said the 28-year-old accused of brutally slaying four University of Idaho students invited himself into her apartment, then “kept trying to touch” her.

The woman allegedly matched with Kohberger, who asked her out to the movies, about seven years ago according to her TikTok video about the bizarre encounter.

<modsnip - snipped for copyright, please see Websleuths' Copyright Rules>

Last edited by a moderator:
This cites avoiding potential threats to law enforcement and could prematurely ending the investigation.

Could this mean that there could have been something illegal about the search warrant or how it was carried out and they could be covering themselves?
You left out a word....'threats to effective law enforcement'. They are talking about the task of upholding the law being compromised, not a threat against officers.

My mind went some place dark. Is there something so awful in what they found at his apartment that they fear public outrage? A need for higher security to protect BK? Possible mob action?

Could be a need to protect the families while they are still in the earlier stages of grieving, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite like the reason.

If what they found in his apartment was so damning (things on his computer?), then perhaps they are trying to protect their prisoner?

It also mentions avoiding risk to witness and victims families...

Thinking out of the box here and strictly speculating, could, what they have found be something hidden and sinister about one of the victims?? I dont think thats likely but...

Maybe because of this there would be need for higher security for the survivors or victims families?

Last edited:

That’s interesting. I wonder if there’s another suspect who could end up being a co-defendant.

What could be in that apartment search that if disclosed before Mar 1 could end the investigation? Huge threat right now but gone on by Mar 1?

snipped
“The document states: 'Premature public disclosure of the details of this law enforcement investigation will create serious and imminent threat to effective law enforcement and could result in the premature end of this investigation which could create a threat to public safety.”
The search warrant, which is shrouded in mystery, won't be sealed forever - the documents going on to say they'll only be 'enforceable for a limited time,' investigation pending.
'For these reasons, the information contained in the application and the nature of this investigation must be kept secret for a limited period of time,' it states.
'It is estimated the investigation will likely be concluded within two months from this date [Dec 30], so an order sealing the file for that period of time is appropriate and necessary.'
MOO they anticipate it will take that long to process the evidence from the search.

You left out a word....'threats to effective law enforcement'. They are talking about the task of upholding the law being compromised, not a threat against officers.
Ok...I will read it again to confirm that, but it doesn't really matter either way.

My question is still the same. Could the search warrant have been mishandled by LE?

My personal idea, as I am in no way connected with LE.

We really don't know if BK was so lonely. He could have been dating someone, or had a close friend. (Never say never or take an individual's public statements for granted). Some digital searches could have been made from other people's comps. Unsealing might not only alert these people, but make their names known to public, and it might endanger them. But it is my first thought.

ETA: but if searches are made now, surely his attorney has to be privy to them? The stakes are high, we have to be sure that evidence is not mishandled.

Here's an excerpt of a recent article from the Chronicle of Higher Education:

Does Criminology Have a Crime Problem? Not at All, Experts Say

"...Chris D. Bertram, an assistant professor of criminal justice at Salt Lake Community College who has over 25 years of law-enforcement experience, said that... learning criminology in an academic setting doesn’t necessarily mean one would know how to commit homicide without leaving evidence behind.

"[Kohberger] had a good academic background in criminal justice, but he didn’t have the operational background,” Bertram said. “If you’re simply taking classes, reading Wikipedia, Googling things, you’re going to learn something, but you’re not going to know everything that is out there, including technology and higher-end law-enforcement investigative services.'

'In my career, I never had an undergraduate or graduate student who was studying criminology to commit crimes. Actually, students took my courses because they wanted to prevent and reduce crime.'

'He may have considered the fact that the Moscow police department was small and didn’t have the capacities that some of the larger departments have, not realizing that the chief of police would call the FBI immediately to help with this investigation,' Bertram said. The Moscow police department has about 30 officers and has never had to investigate a crime of this magnitude before.

Joseph L. Giacalone, an adjunct professor of law, police science, and criminal-justice administration at the City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said that it’s rare that criminology students commit crimes. 'I don’t see this as a problem for the course of study,' he said.

He said that those who carry out horrific crimes could have studied any academic discipline. 'The potential of a student committing a financial crime doesn’t stop our economics classes from teaching pyramid schemes. We’ve also seen nurses who became serial killers themselves,' Giacalone said, referring to four Austrian nurses known as 'angels of death' who killed at least 49 people in the 1980s.

According to a 2009 survey, only one in five American colleges reported that they run criminal background checks on applicants, regardless of program of study. The Chronicle asked over a dozen criminology programs at colleges across the country whether they collected data on students’ criminal backgrounds. The two that responded do not collect information on criminal backgrounds outside of self-disclosure.

Giacalone said that some of Kohberger’s actions could be attributed to him having some knowledge about how evidence is left behind. 'He did try to shut his cell phone off. He was wearing a mask — I doubt he was worried about Covid. He was probably worried about spitting and DNA,' he said. 'But he didn’t wear gloves, for example. For somebody who has been studying this, he makes a lot of mistakes.'

Joseph Scott Morgan, an associate professor of applied forensics at Jacksonville State University, in Alabama, said that many in the media and in social media aren’t aware of the differences between criminology and forensic science as separate fields of study. While criminology focuses on sociological and psychological aspects of crime, forensic science is the application of traditional sciences in order to examine crime scenes.

'Many are assuming he’s some kind of criminal mastermind that would be able to ‘cover his tracks.’ I doubt he had any kind of substantial forensic training,' Morgan said. 'There’s no such a thing as a perfect crime. Any time a human is introduced, there’s potential for them to miss something. It’s unpredictable.'

'There isn’t enough data to create a picture of his rationales,' Morgan said. 'Jumping into conclusions doesn’t help anybody involved.'"

Last edited:
My phone constantly shows me available networks as I drive, but of course I can't join them without a password. It's still pinging and getting the name of all my neighbors' routers as I drive through my neighborhood. If I start streaming from cellular, it stops alerting me about all those routers but may still ping them, I don't know.

No, it only means that your phone was close enough, as you walked down the street, to find those routers. I have one neighbor whose router pops up when I'm a block away, the others I have to be closer. I can sort of tell a little bit about which house goes with which router name (very little) because some of the routers have clearly been named by an age group or a language group that gives those hints. One neighbor uses a version of his car license plate number and another makes a reference to her dog's name, etc. There's also someone who changes the name on their router frequently and I'm pretty sure I know who he is (IT guy I used to work with, signal is strongest when I walk by his house).

So your phone reaches out to everyone's router if you have that option selected (mine is an iPhone, it has "automatically attempt to connect to available networks" as an option. The sandwich shop nearby is unlocked, so I could in theory join it if I had their password from a one time purchase.

There are a few of my neighbors' wifi connections that I can see if I want but they are secured. I'd not heard the phrase "touching" as in, I am guessing; Close enough to touch, but can't actually make a connection to the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechahendrix