ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought that as well, but he would see in real time if his dad was arrested or not since the arrest took place at their home, with his parents present.

I agree that BK asking the question was meaningless as to really wondering about a separate arrest.

Maybe it was something he deemed clever at the moment, to refocus LE on someone else.

Maybe in studying criminals he learned that it's a frequently used dodge upon arrest?

Jmo

He might not ever have been given the chance to see or signal to his parents. Presumably all three adults were swarmed by LE and the parents were quickly led in pajamas and robes outside the house.

A larger group assessed BK and told him to get dressed, this was a more lengthy process and he would have been read his rights and handcuffed (not necessarily in that order).

Parents by then might have been waiting in squad cars with dark windows and I imagine BK was given about 2 seconds to assess those cars before being placed in his transport vehicle.

'She Had No Idea': Sister of Idaho Victim Reacts to Claim that Suspect's Phone Pinged Near House 12 Times​

Kaylee Goncalves' sister is speaking out for the first time since a 28-year-old man was arrested and charged with the murders of Kaylee and three friends.

According to Alivea Goncalves, 26, it was painful to learn that the suspect, Bryan Kohberger, was allegedly watching the home for months before the killings took place.

"We had no idea. She had no idea. I had no idea that true evil was genuinely watching them," Alivea told NewsNation.

True (unless you turn off the setting for automatically connecting. But unless the murderer had previously connected to the King Road house's wifi, I believe he wouldn't connect automatically just by being nearby, unless the house has an open wifi connection.
There is a lot of concern about cell phone ping and wifi. There is an infinite amount of other data that is collected from all mobile devices. Most companies that offer apps sell your data including location.

If you look at weather, have Facebook, retail apps, or almost any free app on your phone, the real cost is your data and location.

Here is a decent article about LE can track location. Another typical ap used to aggregate mobile location is call fog. It's been around a long time. Google fog ap for information.

Moving on from his Tinder date, we now have the receptionist at his doctor's office (s)elling her story: BBM

On November 17, Kohberger arrived at his appointment in a black North Face jacket and was so friendly with staff members that they took notice.

The receptionist at the office, who declined to give her name because discussing the interaction might violate medical privacy laws, said Kohberger's behavior prompted her boss to comment.

"'She said, 'He's so nice and charming' — she never says that about anybody," the receptionist told Insider. "I was like, 'Yeah, he really was.'"

He scheduled an ordinary follow-up appointment for the spring semester.

I thought BK wore gloves. Is there any clear evidence he did or he didn't?

TIA
All I have seen is the PCA, in which the eyewitness describes the man she saw leaving the scene (see p. 4). Nothing in the AA specifically addresses the question of the perpetrator wearing gloves. On the other hand, there is no mention of fingerprints or hand prints found in processing the scene.

But does it automatically connect to random wifi without you signing into it previously? Mine doesn't. They never have. And I have always used default settings on my android phones. Imo.

Mine doesn't connect, it just lists them. Right now I see 4 other networks other than the one I'm on.

I have notifications turned off, as I don't need to use anyone's wifi but my own and work, but when we travel, sometimes I turn it on so I can see which roadside businesses have wifi. My phone will not join any network without my permission/pin.

"'She said, 'He's so nice and charming' — she never says that about anybody," the receptionist told Insider. "I was like, 'Yeah, he really was.'"
I'd love to know their definition of charming. In comparison to what? The crimes he's alleged to have committed? Well then drop all charges. (THICK sarcasm here)

If you are stabbed in the lungs or heart, fluid immediately prevents sound. Think of it like a balloon being popped. It’s instant. If you have the desire to learn, go to Twitter and type mall stabbing. The big guy goes down in under a minute wo uttering a word. Puts his hand to his neck, stumbles and falls. Not like the movies.

Thank you for stating it so clearly. And I believe that BK also knew how to search things on the internet.

Then he has to explain who this person he aided, he has to make a lot of other lies or explanations. It won’t match his computer record, phone record, survaliance etc, it won’t make sense. If he just gave very simple explanation like I just met him in campus or a flea market, he ask me to deliver the knife to this house and wearing all black and a black mask at 4am. I just did I did not ask why he asked me to do this. Do you think jury gonna but it?
After hearing the evidence, not in a million years would the jury believe that any person of normal intelligence would do something that dumb. JMOO

See this is what puts my my theory of him coming back at 9:12am for the sheath in doubt. Like you said, he definitely would’ve realised long before that the sheath wasn’t on him, probably when he got back into his car after the murders at 4:20am and realised he had nowhere to put the knife. So why wait 5 hours before coming back for it, why not go straight back in?

Like we’ve said though, we’re looking at this from a rational view of thinking. In the adrenaline and pure mayhem of what he’d just done he probably was not thinking straight at all and he just wanted out of there ASAP
I suspect he drove off at least several miles before he changed out of the clothes, and realized something was missing. By then, he prob thought the police would be at the home, especially if he DID see D on his way out. If he did, he surely would think the 911 call was placed immediately.

10ofRods
My mind went some place dark. Is there something so awful in what they found at his apartment that they fear public outrage? A need for higher security to protect BK? Possible mob action?

Could be a need to protect the families while they are still in the earlier stages of grieving, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite like the reason.

If what they found in his apartment was so damning (things on his computer?), then perhaps they are trying to protect their prisoner?

My mind went to the same dark place. I don't think they are protecting the families since the families are already in an unimaginably horrible place of pain and grief. My fear is that they found something so awful and damning that they are protecting BK.

Some people are saying it's boilerplate language, but I thought it was a bit odd to mention public safety. Maybe it's standard in Moscow, ID?

At any rate, yes, the language also made my head go someplace dark. I find it very hard to believe that an otherwise peaceful, law abiding and cheerful citizen can just go berzerk one night and stab 4 people to death with a large offensive knife in a space of maybe 15 minutes.

I figure that for the Court to decide March 1 as the date means that the Court has said "Go forth and investigate [whatever it is] and make sure that's pretty much done by March 1.

In any case, I am mentally readying myself for March and learning that they found almost nothing at his apartment OR that he has killed before or was planning serial killing. On this last part, some of what we know makes me worry.

Moving on from his Tinder date, we now have the receptionist at his doctor's office (s)elling her story: BBM

On November 17, Kohberger arrived at his appointment in a black North Face jacket and was so friendly with staff members that they took notice.

The receptionist at the office, who declined to give her name because discussing the interaction might violate medical privacy laws, said Kohberger's behavior prompted her boss to comment.

He scheduled an ordinary follow-up appointment for the spring semester.

IMO, there appeared to be a few reporting that BK was quite the friendly person after the Nov. 13th murders. :mad:

p

At 13:47 you can see BK posing next to a man in a military uniform. Posting to show if this could be the connection to the USMC sheath left at the scene. I posted this pic before, but this is a clearer one. One poster said it looked like a band uniform but IMO it is military. Does anyone know which branch it is?
im going to go with Amy. I have a picture here, I went thru several, I also live in military town. Hope this pic will be allowed.

Here's an excerpt of a recent article from the Chronicle of Higher Education:

Does Criminology Have a Crime Problem? Not at All, Experts Say

"...Chris D. Bertram, an assistant professor of criminal justice at Salt Lake Community College who has over 25 years of law-enforcement experience, said that... learning criminology in an academic setting doesn’t necessarily mean one would know how to commit homicide without leaving evidence behind.

"[Kohberger] had a good academic background in criminal justice, but he didn’t have the operational background,” Bertram said. “If you’re simply taking classes, reading Wikipedia, Googling things, you’re going to learn something, but you’re not going to know everything that is out there, including technology and higher-end law-enforcement investigative services.'

'In my career, I never had an undergraduate or graduate student who was studying criminology to commit crimes. Actually, students took my courses because they wanted to prevent and reduce crime.'

'He may have considered the fact that the Moscow police department was small and didn’t have the capacities that some of the larger departments have, not realizing that the chief of police would call the FBI immediately to help with this investigation,' Bertram said. The Moscow police department has about 30 officers and has never had to investigate a crime of this magnitude before.

Joseph L. Giacalone, an adjunct professor of law, police science, and criminal-justice administration at the City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said that it’s rare that criminology students commit crimes. 'I don’t see this as a problem for the course of study,' he said.

He said that those who carry out horrific crimes could have studied any academic discipline. 'The potential of a student committing a financial crime doesn’t stop our economics classes from teaching pyramid schemes. We’ve also seen nurses who became serial killers themselves,' Giacalone said, referring to four Austrian nurses known as 'angels of death' who killed at least 49 people in the 1980s.

According to a 2009 survey, only one in five American colleges reported that they run criminal background checks on applicants, regardless of program of study. The Chronicle asked over a dozen criminology programs at colleges across the country whether they collected data on students’ criminal backgrounds. The two that responded do not collect information on criminal backgrounds outside of self-disclosure.

Giacalone said that some of Kohberger’s actions could be attributed to him having some knowledge about how evidence is left behind. 'He did try to shut his cell phone off. He was wearing a mask — I doubt he was worried about Covid. He was probably worried about spitting and DNA,' he said. 'But he didn’t wear gloves, for example. For somebody who has been studying this, he makes a lot of mistakes.'

Joseph Scott Morgan, an associate professor of applied forensics at Jacksonville State University, in Alabama, said that many in the media and in social media aren’t aware of the differences between criminology and forensic science as separate fields of study. While criminology focuses on sociological and psychological aspects of crime, forensic science is the application of traditional sciences in order to examine crime scenes.

'Many are assuming he’s some kind of criminal mastermind that would be able to ‘cover his tracks.’ I doubt he had any kind of substantial forensic training,' Morgan said. 'There’s no such a thing as a perfect crime. Any time a human is introduced, there’s potential for them to miss something. It’s unpredictable.'

'There isn’t enough data to create a picture of his rationales,' Morgan said. 'Jumping into conclusions doesn’t help anybody involved.'"

Bertram says: “he (Kohberger) didn’t wear gloves.” I believe that that’s something we don’t know at all now, right?

"[Kohberger] had a good academic background in criminal justice, but he didn’t have the operational background,” Bertram said. “If you’re simply taking classes, reading Wikipedia, Googling things, you’re going to learn something, but you’re not going to know everything that is out there, including technology and higher-end law-enforcement investigative services.'
As we continue to speculate on BK's reasoning for committing the murders, if he is guilty, this is important to emphasize. If he was trying to "commit the perfect murder," as some have speculated, he really lacked the hands on knowledge to do so effectively. The kind of work he did in his field was highly theoretical and research / writing oriented. Not to disparage this kind of work, but it's certainly very different than the training that forensic analysts, LE, or lawyers receive.

He may have had to hubris to think that he could get away with it, or alternatively, "committing the perfect murder" was not his goal or motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechahendrix