ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this is starting to look like there was a lot of advance planning on this crime (flawed or otherwise). Really chilling, and really cold. A robot trying to understand and access human emotions, choosing the darkest of them all. Ultimately he observed what effect it had on others, but I doubt he feels or understands it. MOO.

Snippets of lengthy article.
''What we don’t know: Moscow police have refused to provide more details as to why they think the murders were targeted - even after Mr Kohberger’s arrest.

Officials are also staying silent around whether all of the four victims were intended targets or whether the killer targeted one victim, with the rest simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“You’re going to have to trust on that at this point because we are not going to release why we think that,” Captain Roger Lanier said during a press conference on 23 November in response to why officials believe the killings were targeted.''

''What we don’t know: No murder weapon has been found, police confirmed after Mr Kohberger’s arrest.''

''What we don’t know: It is not clear if the killer left their DNA at the crime scene. With officials believing the attack was targeted, it is possible that the perpetrator could have visited the home before that night.

On 29 November, Latah County Prosecutor Prosecutor Bill Thompson appeared to cast doubt on the belief that all four victims were found in their beds.

In an interview with NewsNation, he refused to confirm the exact locations where the victims’ bodies were found inside the student home saying such information might only be known by the killer.

“As for as the victims who are deceased, I can’t say for sure [where they were found] and that would be one of the details that investigators would want to protect as very few people would know the exact locations of the victims in the house,” he said.''

''What we don’t know: Who is Mr Kohberger? Did he know the victims? How did he end up in Pennsylvania?''

''What we don’t know: It is not known if the killer personally knew one or more of the victims and whether the attack was carried out in a fit of jealousy or rage.''

@Boxer “MOO it’s a big deal, could get the car evidence tossed unless there is DNA or other evidence it. The difference between the wheels are immediately apparent.”

I disagree, or maybe just don’t understand your rationale, could you explain why you feel that the “car evidence” could get tossed because LE was asking for tips about a specific year Elantra and the suspects Elantra was actually an older model?

Apparently LE has retrieved video of the white Elantra near the crime scene….and if that car on video matches the suspect’s car and thereby ties the driver to the area of the crime scene that very night…isn’t that enough evidence? Matching DNA would seal the deal on the car. But IMO, but even without matching DNA from the car, I would think the car, regardless of the year of manufacture, would still be admissible in court to place the suspect near or at the crime scene.

It was only a plea by LE to generate tips from the public about a white Elantra, really any white Elantra, regardless of the year of manufacture. It will be interesting to find out as the story unfolds if a tip came in from someone regarding BK’s car AND the person also alerted LE of a suspicion that he could also be a possible suspect.
If his car and the video are a match then the DA is good to go.
If not, then it’s either an error or not the right car.
The wheels are noticeably different m, and would be different enough to notice even from a less than perfect video capture from a security cam or Ring.

Except there's nothing to indicate he had mechanical problems. Per CNN, the car was being serviced, not repaired. That suggests routine maintenance, and when I was in grad school, yes, I'd rather go home and get it done where I know and trust the mechanic and actually have time to do errands on a break.

I agree completely. Speculating that some service call on the vehicle was planned in advance as a way to hide or obscure or destroy evidence...or even to get more people's dna in the vehicle seems like a very broad reach. In MOO it's likely that his dad was like we just drove the car across the country - time for an oil change. Especially if the same vehicle was going to be driven back to Idaho.

The suspect seems to be what I think of as a "professional student".

His undergrad path seems fairly normal. Then he obtains a masters degree right after that, also fairly normal. Then, he immediately enters a PhD program. Why not go straight to the PhD program and skip the masters? At no time during his journey did he seem to get any real world experience in criminal justice (at least not until last week). I doubt a school security guard really counts as criminal justice experience.

I bring this up because I have known a number of people who seem to stay in school because they aren't ready for the real world. Most people I know with PhD's had a goal in mind before staring those programs. I wonder what his long-term plan was? Did he even have one.

He seems to be smart enough to progress through school, but I have seen nothing so far to suggest he is a criminal mastermind or genius. I have yet to see any peer-reviewed articles listing him as an author/co-author.

I thought the same thing and agree
He got a late start in academia and picked up the pace, but he doesn’t have the real world experience that would make a PhD experience as beneficial as it could be.

Some go from Masters to PhD because they make connections to a prof they want to work with who provide a unique experience.
I can’t see that connection at WSU for him, so I haven’t a clue why he went straight into a PhD program and why he chose WSU For that PhD.

JMO

Sources said the FBI had been watching the house for several days before a specialized team of state troopers and federal agents moved in around 2 a.m. Friday.

"Press Release, Re Kohberger Family Statement"* dated Jan 1, 2023 includes this:

“Sincerely
Jason Allen LaBar, Esq.
Chief Public Defender
Counsel for Mr. Kohberger.”

Not on letterhead of Public Defender office. Haven’t checked for one. “Chief” suggests there is one?
Not on law firm letterhead (if he was appointed for this case).
No contact info, such as address, phone, email, etc.

Why lacking that info? Unusual, imo, but have not searched further.

I’ve also wondered if he took pictures or even a video of the crime. As he does not seem to have a social media presence- his intention would not be to share online to a community.
To revisit the crime scene virtually, I think so
To have them become part of historical record like other killers he has studied, I think so

I agree that he may intend to play games, where is the evidence Nov 13-Dec 30??

Someone has convinced him he is brilliant, and the media seems convinced. He cannot be.
A smart kid takes advanced courses in high school, receives a scholarship, graduates with a bachelors at 21 like Kaylee. and could do masters at 23, PhD by 25
Not genius to earn a MA at 28, he is FIVE years behind peers
This means he has always been one of the oldest in his college classes, he doesn’t fit

Why an inflated sense of self? Psychology is not the path of a criminal genius.
Psychology is toward neuroscience, a BA and MA avoids the math and science.
A PhD would include graduate level statistics. Where is his math and science background?

I guess he chose the knife because it is close and lets off anger and shows he is physically strong. But, that came with consequences…and he does not understand the nature of a stabbing in terms of forensic evidence- arterial blood spurt, blood splatter, cast off, DNA.

We overestimated this guy
So, What was his point? A degree began, a crime done halfway, a poor application of what he had learned?
The stabbings of four intoxicated young people in their sleep
Eluded capture for not quite two months
In hindsight this crime can’t be viewed by him or anyone as genius Or a Perfect Crime

It seems the criminal flop of an educated socially awkward c<modsnip - off topic> does it not?
A wake of destruction- and fear- for what?

JMO
I like the way you said that and your take on his "skill set." JMO

I understood they were both enrolled in a HVAC vocational program but BK dropped out before completing the program. Seemed to me BK instead opted for a traditional college degree, etc.
It probably doesn't mean anything...but do y'all remember that there was an HVAC repair van that was at the 1122 King property just a couple of days after the killings? I always thought it was odd that LE seemingly called in a air conditioning and heating company to the crime scene so close after the murders.

@Boxer “MOO it’s a big deal, could get the car evidence tossed unless there is DNA or other evidence it. The difference between the wheels are immediately apparent.”

I disagree, or maybe just don’t understand your rationale, could you explain why you feel that the “car evidence” could get tossed because LE was asking for tips about a specific year Elantra and the suspects Elantra was actually an older model?

Apparently LE has retrieved video of the white Elantra near the crime scene….and if that car on video matches the suspect’s car and thereby ties the driver to the area of the crime scene that very night…isn’t that enough evidence? Matching DNA would seal the deal on the car. But IMO, but even without matching DNA from the car, I would think the car, regardless of the year of manufacture, would still be admissible in court to place the suspect near or at the crime scene.

It was only a plea by LE to generate tips from the public about a white Elantra, really any white Elantra, regardless of the year of manufacture. It will be interesting to find out as the story unfolds if a tip came in from someone regarding BK’s car AND the person also alerted LE of a suspicion that he could also be a possible suspect.
What boxer pointed out is that a 2011-2013 Elantra has completely different wheels than a 2015 Elantra. If LE has video with 2011-2013 wheels, it won't match a 2015. Now, could LE have been asking about the wrong years but had 2015 wheels in the video? Sure. But the assumption was LE was asking about 2011-2013 because that is what they saw in the video. I, personally, thought they HAD to have narrowed down by lights and wheels because those changed in 2014.

If video shows 2014 and later wheels, yay. If not, that's going to be a tough sell that a 2015 was there if that is needed for prosecution. If not needed for prosecution, no worries.

One thing BK may not have planned on is the almost complete vacuum of info now that he's sitting in jail.

From his degrees/academics and things people have said (he wanted to make sure you knew he was smart when he spoke), I am assuming he likes researching/finding info, etc.

But, he was arrested at the beginning of a long weekend, met (as far as I have read) once for about an hour with the lawyer who will represent him in PA for the extradition and then... nada. He wouldn't have had visitors (like his family) during that time, can't check his phone for the latest news updates, or hop on his computer to read crime forums, or even easily have access to reading material of any kind. I think the reality of now being in an information drought (after having easy access to a glut of information) may be hitting hard. He may have considered that he would get caught, could have his "glory" in the courtroom (reliving details) but might not have figured on information withdrawl and the fact that his access to information will be limited and controlled by others, perhaps for the rest of his life.

MOO.
He is not allowed even a notebook to write down, right? No pen, no pencil - obvious reasons. Hard. I dont think he planned that far: to end up in prison.

BTW, i loved your post. I think, it should be printed for all potential offenders to read and think, if they can.

Last edited:
Out here in the west, we drive a considerable ways to travel by air, especially now that air travel is so chaotic and expensive. Is that also true in the Eastern part of the US if you’re in a rural area?
Airports distance from Albrightsville, PA:
  • Scranton/Wilkes Barre. 23.4 miles
  • Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton 26.7
  • Newark 78
  • Philadelphia 81
  • Harrisburg 83
I live in Western PA, in the Pittsburgh metro area. I could fly out of Great Pittsburgh, Latrobe (Arnold Palmer Airport, 50 miles) or even Cleveland, based on whether I wanted a direct flight, where I was going, or how much a ticket costs.

<modsnip - referenced posts snipped>

No sane person will ever understand what prompted him to slaughter 4 people because one can not rationalize the irrational.

I am intrigued to learn whether he studied what he is or if he became what he studied. I believe the latter. When you stare into the abyss, it stares back at you.
Such an interesting question, and I am intrigued as well. I tend to lean toward the former, but who knows. It’s the whole nature vs nurture question, and I don’t know that we’ll ever find out.

One good reason to drive home- that knife would not have made it past security.

I cannot see another good reason for a 28 yr old to drive 37 hours when he will be driving back those 37 hours in a weeks.

If he worked for a prof he would have things to do, maybe have to be back earlier than the first day of classes.

Also, Who is paying for his schooling?
Why did he choose WSU in Pullman?
Did he have funding? A scholarship? Sought out a specific prof for a PhD study?

JMO

The likelihood of him getting a specific grant for this school, with this degree program, are virtually zero (IMO). WSu offers financial aid and while I don't know the model they use, if a person is in fact a TA, that sometimes provides enough to pay for student housing and food/spending money/books. Tuition is usually then paid via loans (I believe we learned he took loans at DeSales). So he will be one of those students who defaults on his loans IMO.

He could have checked the knife through in his luggage, but may have found that too risky (he seems to have a detailed, but linear and concrete way of thinking, not a lateral thinker at all).

His best bet was still getting rid of the knife somewhere in the vastness of Idaho or Eastern Washington.

I agree completely. Speculating that some service call on the vehicle was planned in advance as a way to hide or obscure or destroy evidence...or even to get more people's dna in the vehicle seems like a very broad reach. In MOO it's likely that his dad was like we just drove the car across the country - time for an oil change. Especially if the same vehicle was going to be driven back to Idaho.
Maybe a stop to change / add winter tires and leave those old tires (tracks) behind? speculation, imo.

I'm tending towards the idea stated in a previous post (which I cant now find) that LE deliberately mis-described the Hyundai Elantra observed at and around the crime scene as a "2011-13" model, knowing that it was in fact a 2015 model they were looking for (and had perhaps already found).

2011-13 vs 2015 model Elantras are very similar but have some, I would suggest, pretty obvious cosmetic differences particularly at the front and rear ends - which it would seem even a layperson ought to be able to identify & distinguish.

Unless all of the images and footage of the subject Elantra at/around the crime scene in LE's possession were insuffuciently clear (which is possible but seems unlikely), with all the information & resources at their disposal to assist them in identifying vehicle makes & models with precision you would think that they would/should have been able to confirm whether the Elantra in question was a 2011-13 or a 2015 version when they first published this information on or about 7 December. I believe BK & Dad left Pullman bound for Pennsylvania in the Elantra on or about 14 or 15 December - a confirmed timeline here would be helpful. LE could have had multiple reasons for being "deceptive" in stating the model year Elantra they were looking for, while in fact they were already onto BK (but perhaps still building their case; awaiting certain forensic results etc) and were monitoring him/his behaviour at and from this time.

This of course assumes that LE's recent reference to having seized a "2015" Elantra at BK's parents' property was not a mistake/unintentional mis-statement, and the vehicle in fact seized is a 2011-13 model Elantra. Which I would tend to think is unlikely (ie, the seized Elantra is, as per LE's statement, a 2015 model Elantra). Are there any images available yet of the seized Elantra which could be used to confirm its model year?

Interesting theory in any case.
It was my post. Thank you

I’m confused why the police narrowed it down to a 2011-2013 model, we know BKs car was 2015. Seems a bit clumsy of them? I mean if I knew BK and noted he drove a white Elantra, knew he lived close to the area, I would probably discount him because his car was the wrong year.
It’s likely many other people would also do the same. His parents might have thought the same also.

I don’t know, not sure why they would do that? If police weren’t entirely sure of the year, why narrow it down so much? That could have really backfired on them
IMO I don't believe LE would disregard a tip because the year of the vehicle didn't match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia