ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to make sense out of the roommates not calling 911 before they called friends. The most recent suggestion I just read was that perhaps the friends came over without being called. That makes sense. I don't know why I thought the people who didn't live there were called before 911 was called.

But then, you have more than 2 adults in the home with four brutally murdered people. No one has heard the call... but anything less than 'my friends are DEAD' is inexplicable without locked doors, a missing dog.... I mean, at least one person there surely had some training in CPR..... and doesn't blood have a discernable smell to it, when there's a lot?
Blood has a iron metallic odor. IMO, I think that X and E were the targets-they got the worst of it-they had the defensive wounds. It’s entirely possible that one of them crawled out of the bedroom and that’s what the surviving roommates and/or friends saw FROM THEIR vantage point-someone laying on the floor and not moving. Those kids were probably too scared to look closer, so they called the cops.

Where is everybody getting the idea that the dog was outside? Did I miss something?
I agree with you. I may have missed it too but I haven't seen anything definitive that said that the dog was outside. And if the dog was inside I didn't read anything to indicate where the dog was found inside of the house. Today, in reading a local (NY) newspaper story about the murders, for the first time I read the word "traumatized" used in describing the dog.

According to LE, “surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up”

Could the friends be E's siblings? Maybe they thought he was passed out from drinking and called siblings to come over because they were nervous as he was underage?

New to this, first post. I found WS after madly googling for any additional info on the Moscow murders. I lived there and attended UI, and am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I know that it isn’t the usual, but this feels more than bungling to me by police. Even the coroner has conflicting statements. I get why they want to keep certain info close, but it doesn’t seem like they even know what they’ve got and how to interpret it.

That 911 call. Seriously so convoluted. Unconscious person, made with a surviving roommates phone but not the surviving roommate? Oh yeah, and there were other people present. Maybe it was a surviving roommate who was unconscious.

It’s targeted but we’re not going to tell you who or what is the target but don’t worry everyone and then walk that back a few days later, you lost the community’s confidence there. If this is a stand alone case, then it sure feels like the target is women, Ethan happened to be there. And if that is the case, half of the population doesn’t need to worry.

Also not searching the woods behind the house for a week? Really?

My profile says white male 18-35, lives alone or with parents. Has hunting or military experience. Is a psychopath. Lives nearby. I think he watched from the woodsy part behind the house, didn’t know the downstairs contained two more bedrooms, methodically went room to room killing, then left on foot back up the hill and possibly cut through the arboretum to a waiting vehicle (car/bike) on Palouse River Drive.
This was my gut too...stalking from the wooded area and retreating to the wooded area, may explain why no one saw the person leave or got it on camera.

if you go to the bottom of this page where it asked questions, with regard the dog the police state

On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and later released to a responsible party.

On the night, not the morning.
So maybe did the killer let the dog out upon entry? And was that why K kept calling ex, thinking he'd called and collected the dog

all jut thought

Where is everybody getting the idea that the dog was outside? Did I miss something?
Because the dog wound up at Animal Services....but an explanation for that was from someone who posted the police "protocol" for violations concerning animals....even if there was no actual violation like an unleashed dog wandering around, the crime scene required activation of the police protocol for proper processing.

One of the housemates disposed of the takeaway container from the food truck in the bin outside the glass sliding door. So at some point they had opened that door since they got home.

The kitchen stools obstructing the glass sliding door bother me, I listened to one news story and it it was mentioned that the glass sliding doors were now open and they weren't when the reporters got on the scene. I feel like the perp may have put those kitchen stools there and it's creepy as hell.
Is it possible that’s how he gained entry by breaking the lock and that’s LE’s way of on-the-fly securing the door without tampering with it?
Trying to see connections is hard because of high risk activities that may make a person more vulnerable to attack. Do they know people who deal in drugs, or an addict who steals.
It takes time for LE to figure that info out, and it may not be released.
We hate to imagine it is random, so lean on stats- and stats don’t work with serials.

How did these persons even get on the radar of a killer?

SLadd was 71 yrs old, retired school district employee, mother, grandmother

JMO
*I thought the same, that the killer broke the lock to enter and it was a way to keep the door shut without tampering with the door and preserving the scene— but, then remembered LE said there were no signs of forced entry? I’m sure that could have changed but I have not seen or read about it. It makes sense they’re securing the sliding door, though. Maybe he did break the lock and LE didn’t notice it? Or maybe the door was broken and didn’t lock all the way or something? IDK. Someone in the press should ask.

As for your second response: and I agree— they work with stats and probabilities first and then work their way out— It’s harder to comprehend, especially at first, when the killer has a known motive and methodology that isn’t readily apparent to LE. And working in this way makes the most sense because of stats and Occam’s razor. For example: They would waste a lot of time in other crimes immediately considering a serial killer when the husband has a history of beating his wife if she was found beaten to death in the home after a restraining order.

Obviously, and usually, statistically speaking, most people are usually victims of interpersonal crimes.

Once family members, significant others, friends, family, coworkers, and/or people who have close contact with the victim have been ruled out, the net becomes a lot wider and the understanding of the crime goes down to theories instead of direct knowledge of quarrels, bad relationships, suspicious friends, odd coworkers, etc… and that’s when a “true victim” crime happens.

True victim crimes are not common and random in the sense of it’s a stranger to the victim or someone they have maybe met or was seen by the perpetrator only once. And the victim in no way put themselves in a position to be vulnerable to a crime.

This type of crime gets very difficult to solve and then SK’s, if it matches the evidence and profile, should then be considered. But of course, there are different subtypes and motivations for them as well.

Been following this case, but haven't been able to read every single post. It's incredible how much this case has blown up in the news/online/this forum. I believe this is probably the #1 most discussed case on this forum, ever. The crime is less than 2 weeks old, and already we're on thread #12 - and there's no end in sight.

IMHO, one of the reasons this crime resonates with so many is not only the heinous nature of the killings, but the circumstances surrounding how these 4 were killed: A lot of other horrible crimes are occurring on an almost daily basis these days (shootings, etc.). However, I suspect the reason this crime in particular disturbs so many people is the fact that this person/persons attacked & killed these people in the privacy of their own homes, while they were almost certainly asleep in bed. I.e., if you're not safe in the privacy of your own home - you're not safe anywhere.

Also, what obviously has everyone still talking about this is the fact that there are 0 clues on who did the killings.

Last edited:
That‘s what I thought, and the statement 103 pieces of a evidence wasn’t followed by a “So far.”
What exactly would be included? Physical things from crime scene
I’m thinking fingerprints, blood samples from the scene, cell phones, purses/IDs
clothing of four people- that could be 8 pieces
bed linens of 3 beds- 12+

the 4000 pictures isn’t part of that
autopsy isn’t part of that
toxicology isn‘t part of that
digital probably not included, cell, cc’d, banking
video footage
statements not included

With the crime scene having been described as messy, and bloody, with four bodies, and includes two bedrooms maybe three plus possibly common spaces, entry/ exit

103 seems low, not that I know what to compare it to.
It would include not just the valuable pieces of evidence- but those that turn out to not be helpful.
JMO
103 pieces of evidence is extremely low in a case such as this. At the OJ trial, they had over 100 exhibits of DNA alone - and that’s only what they chose to enter into court evidence.

For a scene that has, at the very least, two places where we think a crime was committed, I find it highly unusual for the evidence count to be this low. MOO

I agree with you. I may have missed it too but I haven't seen anything definitive that said that the dog was outside. And if the dog was inside I didn't read anything to indicate where the dog was found inside of the house. Today, in reading a local (NY) newspaper story about the murders, for the first time I read the word "traumatized" used in describing the dog.
Yes. The dog is going to be traumatized forever. Can you imagine this poor animal perhaps hiding under the bed or in the closet having to hear the sweaty breathy stabs and the moaning and the smell of death. A dogs nose is a million times stronger than a humans. You can bet the dog heard everything and smelled everything and darn well knew what was going on. There was probably a large amount of urine and doodoo surrounding the dog. All LE had to do was take one look and know that the dog was home during the attack.

Last edited:
I believe LE’s decision to report this as “ targeted “ has something to do with the route the perp took. I believe he passed other rooms, of the surviving roommates. This is just my opinion. But from what I’ve gathered it’s likely ONE of the surviving roommates lived on the 2nd floor( the same floor as E & X ) when the crime occurred.

tough to get into an attic space without a ladder, IMO but it depends on the person of course ... and it would be tough to jump down without making any noise, because you are dropping a few feet unless you are 6' 6" and have tied a pillow to your feet, IMO
In my sister's townhouse community in Atlanta a couple of decades ago a rapist entered homes during the day as a handyman with access. He'd hide inside attic openings as shown here. My sister was certain she'd heard him in her townhouse and scared him off. We tried to speculate how he was getting into the ceiling space but sure enough he was. Terrifying to think of but true.

I'm trying to make sense out of the roommates not calling 911 before they called friends. The most recent suggestion I just read was that perhaps the friends came over without being called. That makes sense. I don't know why I thought the people who didn't live there were called before 911 was called.
If they didn't actually see the person, and were just worried because they weren't responding, then yeah, I definitely get calling friends first. First, if it's just a case of being really drunk and passed out, you don't want to get them in trouble. Second, this has been described as a party house. If you know or suspect there may be drugs in the house, the last thing you want is police poking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper