ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny Rolling (The Gainesville Slayer), killed two sleeping women roommates on the first night of his Gainesville killing spree.

He first saw his target female at the local convenience store he was at while living as a vagrant near the campus.

He followed her home and scoped out her house.

He waited for the two collage age girls to fall asleep and jimmied the sliding door lock and was armed with a gun and a KABAR knife.

The following is a direct copy/transcript from the Supreme Court of FL Court Docs regarding the facts of this case, also linked below:

FACTS OF THE CASE

“The record reflects that in the early morning hours of August 24, 1990, Danny Rolling, armed with both an automatic pistol and a Marine Corps K-Bar knife, broke through the rear door of an apartment shared by college students Sonya Larson and Christina Powell.   Upon entering the apartment, Rolling observed Christina Powell asleep on the downstairs couch.   He stood over her briefly, but did not awaken her.

Rolling then crept upstairs where he found Sonya Larson asleep in her bedroom.   After pausing to decide with which young woman he desired to have sexual relations, he attacked Ms. Larson as she lay in her bed, stabbing her first in the upper chest area.   He then placed a double strip of duct tape over her mouth to muffle her cries and continued to stab her as she unsuccessfully attempted to fend off his blows.   During the attack, she was stabbed on her arms and received a slashing blow to her left thigh.   Ms. Larson maintained consciousness for less than a minute and died as a direct result of the stab wounds inflicted by Rolling.

After killing Ms. Larson, Rolling returned to the downstairs of the apartment where Ms. Powell remained asleep.   He pressed a double strip of tape over her mouth and taped her hands behind her back.   Rolling cut off her clothing and undergarments with the K-Bar knife and sexually battered Ms. Powell, threatening her with the knife.   Thereafter, Rolling forced her to lie facedown on the floor near the couch and stabbed her five times in the back, causing her death.   Rolling posed the bodies of the victims and left the apa
rtment.”

He went on a killing spree that weekend and murdered three other people all of whom were awake. He jimmied the sliding glass door in every case and on the second day of his spree actually waited for his lone victim behind her wall cabinet to return home and ambushed her.

He confessed to all of this.

Killing people while other people are sleeping in the same house is not uncommon. There are many examples throughout the last 125+ years on record.

It’s also not uncommon for killers to enter and roam dwellings they’ve never been in before and be “successful”— unfortunately.

**Edited for clarity.

imo, and I stated earlier but this is a good example, if the killer was an obsessive planner, he may have brought duct tape for mouths. Duct tape over the mouth is not 'bound and gagged' and could easily be removed and taken. Yes, LE would find adhesive residue, but IMO that might be something they'd keep to themselves as a fact only the killer would know. JMO and ICBW.

So looks like E not only had a beef with someone, but this *someone* was a cold blooded killer who was an expert in using a knife and was willing to kill three others Really???

Yes. A cold-blooded killer doesn't need a rhyme, reason, or a motive to stab 4 individuals to death.

Take the 2019 quadruple murder in Mandan, ND -- a town very similar to Moscow, where convicted, Chad Isaak, 46, Chiropractor and Navy Veteran, entered RJR Property Management around 7 AM and brutally stabbed the business owner and 3 of his employees more than 100 times -- leaving their co-workers to find their slain colleagues when they arrived for work in the morning. To this date, there's no explanation or known motive.

ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

One, K&M were in Maddie's bed. So if the target was Kaylee and her bed was empty, seems as though they should have anticipated both girls being in Maddie's room.

I don't think there was much snow at the they were murdered. Tracks would have been left anywhere they exited, right? The third floor balcony was outside Kaylee's room and wrapped all around the back of the house to Maddie's back window. Exiting off the balcony wouldn't have been ideal though because of the height but it was possible.
someone else suggested that maybe M switched to K's room after she left.

Sadly, he seems to be implying it himself.

ETA:
He could have just been told by the person that prepared them for cremation...
I think that parents often view the body. Especially if my child were murdered and the suspect was still on the loose, I would want to see what was done to my baby. I would doubt that SG viewed Maddie's body but he's certainly close enough to her parents that if they did, he would know the injuries sustained.

The autopsies could have said X number of stab marks on one and X number on another. Again, as a parent, I would want to see for myself. Not "want" but feel that I needed to understand what my child endured.

Speaking of K&M, just tossing this out there because I'm starting to get depressed talking about bodies, wounds, etc...

I was really touched by the story in the memorial about how M was older, but just barely - like 2 weeks. And every year K would go overboard to make sure M had the best day ever for her birthday. Only to be outdone 2 weeks later by M. This was apparently a yearly happening. :)

The coroner has said the victims were likely sleeping when they were murdered. Is there reason this shouldn’t be believed? There are so many theories that have E confronting the killer; How can he do that when he is likely sleeping - or did I miss an update?

MOO

I think the timing of the last call is what determined the beginning of the estimated time of attack. The murders didn’t necessarily start right at 3 am, it could’ve been later.

IMO, the “we have a dog together” (paraphrasing) text is just a classic response to him not picking up her drunk calls. In that headspace, it’s common to say things like that to get a response.

I don’t think they’d be calling him because they wanted to sleep with the dog, considering the dog was at the home.
And possibly whining. I think the dog acting up was beginning to get to the girls perhaps spooking them, so they put the dog to bed. I still think the dog would have picked up on something that night, maybe not necessarily barking, but pacing, whining, excessive sniffing.

Last edited:
I'm scared of this murder and I'm over 1,500 away. Can't imagine putting posters up will do any good in Moscow. It's got to what everyone there is thinking about already Let LE do their job they say they are painting a picture which takes time could take months to paint a picture.
I’m scared too…and live 15 min away. My thoughts on posters: 1. This is on EVERYONE’S mind who lives around here already; 2. Both Pullman and Moscow are university towns (and lots of revenue comes from the student body) and LE in both make many allowances for student behaviors. For example, intoxicated/disorderly kids rarely end up in jail, they’re usually taken to the ER to sober up. I have a LE background and want to support them always, but I agree with SG’s suggestion that ‘someone’ (read: LE and school officials), do not want this deterring enrollment, or kids physically living here in town. A huge portion of the student body has not returned after leaving before the Thanksgiving break. Who knows what next semester will look like here. LE lost some community support right away when they declared no risk to the public within a hr or two of discovering the crime. And it’s gone downhill from there. Moscow is a ghost town now…I was at the mall yesterday and it was empty…should be full of students shopping for Christmas.
I know someone who lived in that house last year and am waiting to hear from them if the bedroom doors had locks and if so, what kind. I’ll post when I know.

I think the timing of the last call is what determined the beginning of the estimated time of attack. The murders didn’t necessarily start right at 3 am, it could’ve been later.

IMO, the “we have a dog together” (paraphrasing) text is just a classic response to him not picking up her drunk calls. In that headspace, it’s common to say things like that to get a response.
The "we have a dog together" text was not from the night of the attack, it was from when she was back home.

You’re right, I’m basing my premise on what Xs father stated about her having bruises and Being a fighter.
I tend to take parental pronouncements in cases like this with a grain of salt. I don't say that to be demeaning toward them, but I've often followed cases where the parents or relatives had information not quite right. (I'm thinking specifically of the Paighton Houston case where the mother swore up and down her daughter would never do what she did--but she did and in retrospect, I think the mom probably had a lot of denial about her kid's addiction issues.) In my own family, after a fatal car wreck, there's a lot of distorted memories of what happened and when and law enforcement also minimized the extent of the injuries--I think out of kindness--so if you were to interview most of us about it, the information wouldn't have been correct then or now, not out of any sense of malice or dishonesty but due to grieving.

It's certainly possible she fought back, but it's also possible they told him she had defensive wounds (meaning she was just trying to shield herself) and he extrapolated from that that she fought hard because it is more comforting than the alternative and is in line with his perception of her. MOO

SG says he was told the entry point was the middle floor (slider or window). He goes on to say that the intruder's "entry and exit are available without having to go upstairs or downstairs". IMO, that means that the target was absolutely on the 2nd floor. The intruder should have been able to do whatever he came to do without going anywhere but the middle floor.

Then the interviewer mentions that SG has said that Kaylee and Maddie had different means of attack which suggest one of the 2 girls was the target. They ask if he can say which one of the 2 was targeted and he says that he asked for permission to tell, but was asked not to.

I thought the "means of attack" comment wasn't clear about who it referenced. "They" had a different means of attack could have meant the 2 girls were different from X&E or that they were different from each other. Did I miss where he alluded to it being about Kaylee vs Maddie? That doesn't make sense to me. If K or M was the target, the intruder did HAVE to go upstairs.

What did I miss? I obviously missed a detail somewhere.

--------

Think that I found it. Was he saying that K or M was definitely the target otherwise the killer wouldn't have gone upstairs?
No you didn’t miss a detail. The interviewer asked SG about “ means” of death, when he should have asked about “ manner of death”. So interviewer mislead SG by using incorrect verbiage, but that is okay, not everyone is a death investigation expert and SG was probably sleep deprived and we are all hung up on verbiage and semantics trying to solve this crime…So no…you didn’t misunderstand. We all did

I’m scared too…and live 15 min away. My thoughts on posters: 1. This is on EVERYONE’S mind who lives around here already; 2. Both Pullman and Moscow are university towns (and lots of revenue comes from the student body) and LE in both make many allowances for student behaviors. For example, intoxicated/disorderly kids rarely end up in jail, they’re usually taken to the ER to sober up. I have a LE background and want to support them always, but I agree with SG’s suggestion that ‘someone’ (read: LE and school officials), do not want this deterring enrollment, or kids physically living here in town. A huge portion of the student body has not returned after leaving before the Thanksgiving break. Who knows what next semester will look like here. LE lost some community support right away when they declared no risk to the public within a hr or two of discovering the crime. And it’s gone downhill from there. Moscow is a ghost town now…I was at the mall yesterday and it was empty…should be full of students shopping for Christmas.
I know someone who lived in that house last year and am waiting to hear from them if the bedroom doors had locks and if so, what kind. I’ll post when I know.
Ah...small town limited, economy town....MOO...
I forgot that the students were the likely backbone of the economy and benefited the business community

The coroner has said the victims were likely sleeping when they were murdered. Is there reason this shouldn’t be believed? There are so many theories that have E confronting the killer; How can he do that when he is likely sleeping - or did I miss an update?

MOO
the coroner later corrected that to one or more maybe not in bed, iirc.

If I’m being completely honest, it actually bothers me how much credit is being given to this killer at times. He very easily could have been a disorganized, fumbling individual who just so happened to pull off a crime of this magnitude due to dumb luck.

And commit four bloody, very bloody murders and leave no trail? how? curious.

K could be the 'target' OR it's possible she opened her eyes or woke up and the killer panicked, and a more frenzied attack ensued.
Yes, she looked strong too, holding M on her shoulders in the all 6 room mates picture, and SG mentioned in this mornings interview that she was a Punky Brewster that wanted to be faster than her brothers. I too think it's possible she woke up but I'll add fought (imo)

How distressing to be so close to this terrible crime & its aftermath. We're here for you. I hope this perp is arrested soon & the community can find healing.

We are here for you!
JMO

Note: that is from 22 years ago. While the UI remains Moscow’s largest employer, the rest of that chart is hopelessly outdated. And while I don’t have the stats handy, UI employs significantly fewer people now than 22 years ago, so that percentage would be lower as well.

Moo & trying to accurately represent my community.

I am not sure about Moscow, ID, how many cameras are along various routes to the house on King Rd. But the statement LEO made about "looking for something missing in pictures, video", meant to me that they could be looking at all video available in that area, at that time of night, they don't see a car anywhere along the route...on video, that is "something missing", that would mean that the perpetrator walked, and if they don't see any movement or a person walking at various points where cameras are available...that means the person or persons, came from a different route. Potentially ruling out a non local person. And now, focusing on routes that are close to the house, walking distance, if no cars have been identified driving away from the area at that time of night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quantum-Dark