ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this Fox report below the personnel changes in this case.

Moscow PD - From 4 Detectives, 24 Patrol & 5 Support to 6 Detectives & 5 Support.

FBI - From 20 Agents & 2 from Behavior Analysis Unit to 46 Agents & 2 from Behavior Analysis Unit.

Idaho State Police - From 20 Agents to 13 Agents.

Seems like a pretty hefty increase for the Feds. So what do we take from this? Is it possible that this is possibly turning into Federal case? Maybe the killer crossed state lines?

It doesn't mean those people are all working the case full time. Some may only have a small contribution.
And it doesn't matter if the killer later crossed state lines. That doesn't give federal jurisdiction. I haven't seen anything yet that would make this a federal investigation. FBI involvement is I believe assistance requested by the local authorities.

The lock on the front door is a coded lock. IDK if it is exactly like the one above. The discussion was about possible reasons the front door was "wide open" as reported by a neighbor walking past around 8:30am the morning of the 13th.
Ah, now I understand! Thank you. I skipped over the open door discussion.

I have seen a few people reference the Stolen Hyundai TikTok challenge and I was wondering how many cases of stolen Hyundais have actually occurred. There was a great episode of ReplyAll (a tech podcast) a few months back about how many of the most newsworthy and extreme TikTok Challenges rarely ever occur. These news articles pick up one or two videos because they are the scariest headlines for adults who don’t understand Tiktok, which in turn will get your news site more clicks. The episode also researched a bunch of challenges that news organizations reported on including a “slap your teacher” challenge which was actually not done by a single student. Many of these challenges happen once or are just a legitimate troll and aren’t actually occurring at all.

I’m not saying that no thefts of Hyundais have ever occurred, but I do wonder if an epidemic of car thefts might be slightly exaggerated here. I’m definitely not saying it’s impossible the car was stolen, I’m just somewhat hesitant to believe that there is actually a huge number of people doing this “TikTok challenge.”
I looked it up, The Hyundais are from 2016 and up. I will look up the info and post it

Interesting take on the removal of personal effects from the house.

@Strong1,
Thank-you for the link, the gentleman Joseph Scott Morgan is going to be on Tricia's YouTube show tonight.

Respectfully,
Thora_Jay

I appreciate the quick response, but this doesn't reference TikTok or a TikTok Challenge. I do believe these cars are easier to steal. I just have a hard time believing it's something kids are doing for fun on TikTok. I do think this is an important distinction because saying it's a TikTok Challenge implies this is something a lot of college-aged kids would know about. That would lead us to think stealing a car is something any ol' college student would know how to do, and I'm less inclined to believe that. I do think it's a subtle but important difference in a story about Hyundais being easier to steal.

EDIT: Thanks to Human for discovering the social media trend stories do not include the car we are discussing. It's only for 2016 models and newer. That should put an end to the idea that any TikTok Challenge is part of this case.

It’s possible that the release of the white car information is not a good thing for the investigation. They may have been close to finding the car itself or the owner/occupants, or knew where the white car was and observing it, but if SG hired a PI and he found out this info by talking to a loose-lipped neighbor, it may have forced LE’s hand to reveal it earlier than they need to, or earlier than would be beneficial to the investigation. Let’s hope the timing is just a coincidence!
I dunno.....a 10 year old not-SUV in Idaho....are there more than 2?

Moscow Homicide Update
December 8, 2022

MOSCOW, Idaho – Due to the volume of calls with tips and leads coming in about the request for information about a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, the Tip Line is now directed to an FBI call center. The global call center has the resources to take those calls, categorize them, and send them on to investigators so they can utilize those tips in the investigation.

Please be aware that this new call process takes patience on behalf of the caller, and there are some prompts to follow. Remember, your tip may be the key to solving this case.

Watch an interview with Moscow Police Chief James Fry released today for media and public use on the Moscow Police YouTube Channel.

As previously reported, detectives are interested in speaking with the occupant(s) of a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, with an unknown license plate. Tips and leads have led investigators to look for additional information about a vehicle being in the immediate area of the King Street residence during the early morning hours of November 13th. Investigators believe the occupant(s) of this vehicle may have critical information to share regarding this case.

If you know of or own a vehicle matching this description, or know of anyone who may have been driving this vehicle on the days preceding or the day of the murders, please forward that information to the Tip Line.

Information can be submitted:
• Tip Line: 208-883-7180
• Email: tipline@ci.moscow.id.us
• Digital Media: fbi.gov/moscowidaho

Also, there has been extensive media interest regarding an incident at Taylor Avenue and Band Field on November 13, 2022, at 3:01 a.m. This incident was an alcohol offense which was addressed by the on-scene officer. This call is not related to the murder investigations.

Investigators working on the current homicide case are aware of the body camera footage. They have reviewed it and all the details associated with it and have determined it is not related.

At this time, no suspect has been identified and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate information and updated progress. All Press Releases and information related to this case are available at: King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID.

I appreciate the quick response, but this doesn't reference TikTok or a TikTok Challenge. I do believe these cars are easier to steal. I just have a hard time believing it's something kids are doing for fun on TikTok. I do think this is an important distinction because saying it's a TikTok Challenge implies this is something a lot of college-aged kids would know about. That would lead us to think stealing a car is something any ol' college student would know how to do, and I'm less inclined to believe that. I do think it's a subtle but important difference in a story about Hyundais being easier to steal.
It is for Hyundais 2016 and up

Police: Certain Kia and Hyundai cars being stolen due to social media trend

Hi 10 (good to see you)
Very logical post, it makes a lot of sense to me. I did wonder if the Hyundai was seen in the days prior to the murders around the house but then left town right after the murders when some students left early for Thanksgiving. Perhaps the driver didn't return back to school after break and they've only recently figured out who it is.

Let's hope for a Felony Friday!

MOO

Good to see you! I do think LE are onto something. They will likely wait for more DNA analysis and expert analysis but I am confident there will be a Felony Friday.

The fact it's such a high profile crime in a small town, anyone who was near the house at that time would surely come forward, even just to clear their name as their mobile phone would be tracked.

So it's correct to be suspicious of anyone in a car near the house at that time.

Planned murders in Ireland most often use stolen cars with the number plate changed. They then burn out the car and switch to another car. Often the switch car is also stolen and burned out.

These would be professional criminals though.

There can't be too many of this type of car in Idaho. Or Washington also I guess. 1000s at most.
There's probably someone working through the list right now.
Flipping back to HG......given the tsunami of attention onto this guy in the last 36 hours, does it seem like the cops silence is deafening? Have I missed them coming out and reiterating that he is not a focus?

I love how he talks about the vehicle, like no big deal! I feel like there’s some psychology behind this, as if they know the owner is not going to come forward but maybe someone who knows the owner will come forward if they make it sound very nonchalant.

:) Just wanting to talk to the individuals who were in that vehicle…
They may have some valuable information for us :)

MOO

Definitely. At the moment, the "occupants of the vehicle" are pretty much being invited to come forward. If they do not do this voluntarily, I'm sure LE will be tightening the screws and compel them to do so. I am glad LE released this info to the public. IMO, this is actually a part of the investigation where websleuths can be of great help to LE, which I'm sure is why they decided to share it now. I would not consider myself a websleuth at all, but I do have an analytical way of thinking and hope some of my observations can help, even if only in a little way.
I like where you head's at! Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member