ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take to get videos? And is this the only way out?
No, there are a couple other routes but anyone in or near moscow knows that from the house to highway 95 any driver would go right down King Rd to the interestion where A&W is and turn North of South. You can be from the house out of the city limits in less than a minute easily. Look at Google Earth, the intersection of King Rd and Hwy 95 is the Sunset Mart

I think SG meant that if E was the target, the perp would not have to go to the 3rd floor to kill K and M. SG assumes that the killer entered the house through the sliding door on the 2nd floor.
I agree this is a valid interpretation of "if" ... "then" in terms of possible targets and the killer(s) movements.

There are so many different ways of interpreting the possible (1) order chronologically of the 4 murders, (2) route followed through the house by the killer(s), (3) the number of assailants, (4) reasons behind the order or route followed or number of assailants...

The unknowns are so many, and in the "heat of the moment" the "best laid plans" of a person(s) who is intent on killing can change rapidly, and they just can react to the immediate circumstances.

Another possibility is that X and/or E on the second floor were the target(s) of the killer(s) and while they were being stabbed, K and/or M heard or saw something from above on the third floor that alerted them to trouble downstairs, and that is maybe why they made multiple calls to K's ex boyfriend according to LE (that went unanswered) during the timeframe LE think the murders occurred. So the killer could have gone up to the third floor to kill K and/or M after X and/or E because of what they heard or saw.

LE has a wide variety of forensic evidence to help narrow down the possibilities, it's just a matter of time for them to process all the evidence and data to home in on the most likely scenario(s) and suspect(s).

I think we all can agree on one thing, and that is that LE identifies a suspect(s) and there is resolution and justice for the victims and their loved ones ASAIHP (as soon as is humanly possible).

I wonder why criminal defense? I suppose the practice could cover other areas of law too. (edit: DEFNITELY NOT implying anything, I just thought it was odd)
It is always beneficial to look into the attorney's areas of practice. I believe SG is hoping Mr. Gray can assist him in accessing documents that LE has. There are a lot of forms which must be filled out and filed. There may be other activities beyond that, as well.

I thought they had already hired a PI. Did they decide to hold off & just hire an attorney?
They hired both: Kaylee Goncalves’ family hiring lawyer to demand answers from Idaho cops

We just don't know the name of the PI yet. He's probably trying to fly beneath the radar in order to be able to interview witnesses and others who may be able to help with answers.

Fox News just released that Moscow PD just now got the video survellance from the A/W Sunset Mart on the corner, when the killer left this is literally THE intersection they would take for the fasted most direct route to Hwy 95.
IMO I doubt this video will be the “smoking gun” which leads to an arrest, but hopefully it will help LE flesh out the timeline further (i.e., narrow down the possible routes the killer may have traveled to/from the scene if they are not captured on surveillance footage)

Could there be a bunch of people who are feeling ashamed and guilty of themselves because maybe they knowingly wound up a situation? Obv nobody in their right mind would imagine someone's going to slaughter a bunch of people but youngsters do perpetrate pack mentality bullying, malicious gossip, and some types of personalities love to triangulate and watch stuff go off with a bang. It's all part of growing up that we learn along the way, these people were just really kids in a tiny bubble. Is (dysfunctional) group dynamics sitting behind this I wonder? And if so, could some people have solid reasons to feel so ashamed they don't want the truth coming out? Or are there people (in responsible job positions maybe) who are fully aware there's been terribly serious issues that should have been notified to authorities long before this incident happened?

JMO MOO
MOO If that is the case- then someone needs to summon up the courage to tell the truth now.

No, there are a couple other routes but anyone in or near moscow knows that from the house to highway 95 any driver would go right down King Rd to the interestion where A&W is and turn North of South. You can be from the house out of the city limits in less than a minute easily. Look at Google Earth, the intersection of King Rd and Hwy 95 is the Sunset Mart
Thanks. Just looked it up.

It is always beneficial to look into the attorney's areas of practice. I believe SG is hoping Mr. Gray can assist him in accessing documents that LE has. There are a lot of forms which must be filled out and filed. There may be other activities beyond that, as well.
but public disclosure acts have very broad exemptions to protect active cases

Complete Xana and Ethan's timeline, decide "Why a knife?", and you've solved the case.
MOO but at this point, I'm thinking the "target" was not Kaylee, and she was in one of the worst "wrong place at the wrong time" situations imaginable. Visiting her old residence, in bed with her best friend instead of her own...it could be the case that the killer didn't know she was back in town and had planned this anticipating both the extra bedroom on the middle and top floors empty, lowering their risk of being heard/caught.

I wonder what the mileage is on an Elantra? If this was an out of town perp and they had more than 100 miles or so to drive they would maybe need to gas up somewhere even if you assume a full tank on leaving.. and getting gas will leave a trail...this is a bit like following Hansel and Gretel through the forest...MOO
Good point, I think the Elantra has a range of just under 400 mi. full tank. Lets say maybe 100 miles in to Moscow from where... then 100 miles back... in any direction... still have an extra 150 mi. in reserve. In my experience when we off road and or head up to the mountains we always bring extra fuel usually more than the equivalent of the internal tank. The aux./jerry tanks are often filled perhaps weeks before the trip. If it's a white Elantra LEO is looking for the POI might not even be driving it anymore, perhaps had a secondary or stolen a "new" car to continue distancing themselves from the crime scene.

Truly hoping we get some traction on this and help bring closure to the family and community at large.

No gun expert here- would a silencer totally silence a gun? It would seem quicker and less risk of getting caught?

Gun “silencers” are a Hollywood myth:

“Contrary to popular belief, suppressors do not completely silence firearms; rather they help to mitigate the potentially dangerous noise associated with firearms. Even the most effective suppressors on the smallest calibers reduce the peak sound level of a gunshot to around 110-120 decibel (dB). Realistically, suppressors are a useful tool for recreational shooting and hunting, allowing for better hearing protection, reduced recoil, and increased accuracy.”

“Even the most effective suppressors on the smallest calibers, like .22 LR, reduce the peak sound level of a gunshot to around 108-120 decibels (dB). To put that in perspective, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), that is as loud as a jackhammer (110 dB) or an ambulance siren (120 dB).”

I can't believe I'm chipping in on the "who was the target?" debate... :rolleyes:

Occam's Razor - The simplest explanation is that the targets were X&M. They were in the same sorority & worked at the same restaurant. This could also explain why the perp "went up the stairs." Two targets in two bedrooms.

I hope LE is taking a very close look at the people on the periphery of those orbits (and I'm sure they are).

Yes, but help me understand the point you are making, I might be missing it.

A large knife is subjective. 5 inch? 8 inch? 1 inch wide? Inch and a half wide? The new article I ( personally) was referencing earlier (not included in your list) said "tears" as opposed to "stabs". This still leaves the type of knife open to oh so many possibilities that all fit "large knife that tears" or large something that tears, but doesn't seem to slice. And this includes a whole lot of not combat, not kabar, not hunting knives, some of which are quite common. Fishing knives are common anywhere there is fishing. Duct knives and insulation knives are common anywhere there is house or building construction. Hori tori knives are common with a lot of gardeners.

It seems like people should not get stuck on the size of the knife or what LE asked about early in the case, but what kind of knife ( or other thing)would be large enough and of the style that can make those wounds. It might behoove people to also keep an eye out for someone who is missing his duct knife. Or fishing knife. Or Hori Tori knife. ;) The knife may have been used because it was what they had and was familiar and handy. JMO.

The tears you reference make me wonder if the blade was getting dull, the tip broke off or a victim moved, sat up, shifted or assumed a more defensive position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member