ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
could someone let me know or post a link to the time of the final call (10th after M?
2:52 AM per K's sister A

Interviewer: ... making calls as late as almost two o'clock.
A: Yep
Interviewer: How do you know that?
A: So, she was on my mom's cell plan so on Sunday I was able to pull those cell records
Interviewer: And you could see that she was calling somebody out
A: Yep
Interviewer: Does it seem like they may have been involved or does it seem like they...
A: Nope, no not at all. Kaylee had no shame in kind of powercalling, so it fits Kaylee
K's mom: Yeah, and we know who she was calling and this person is, this person was asleep, unfortunately, was not getting the calls. And it was a few calls between, for half an hour she called him a couple times and, but, no, we do not believe she was calling him for help. We believe that she was just calling him to come over. If Kaylee was in imminent danger, her or Maddie, they would have called 911. They would not have been calling this person.
Interviewer: And that was at around two
A: It started at around two thirty
K's mom: We believe the girls were just fine
Interviewer: So from those phone records it looks like the girls may have been alive around two thirtyish
K's mom: Two thirty is what, the last call?
A: No, the last call was shortly before three am.
K's mom: Yeah, that's right, two fifty something
A: Two fifty two

Last edited:
Depends on vehicle owners driving needs for mileage. Snow tires are common for some vehicles and their owners while some people get by without snow tires for multitude of reasons (4 wheel drive or better tires or driving skill for example)
Thank you! I've seen a lot of locals here talking about having trucks/jeeps for winter driving, so I'm trying to suss out how the tire tracks could be connected to a car like an Elantra. It looks like so many other cars folks have posted here, and I'm curious as to how they determined it was this particular model. I wonder if it was driven by the killer(s) or whether there was someone waiting to be the getaway car.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Catching up from last night. Did LE confirm that the car in the Gas Station video was the Elantra? <modsnip - response to quoted post>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking about how this works In Idaho. If LE specifically requests video from a business’ cameras, can they say no, you‘ll need a warrant for that?
Moo, I think so. If that happens, and the time in question is now deleted or written over by the recording of later video, then sadly evidence can be lost. I can see where some business may not want to release without a warrant.

I have a question and Google couldn't help me so maybe someone here can. I know LE can take a cell phone number and check it against near-by cell towers for pings, but can you go to the cell tower and get all records of pings regardless of the number/carrier? Everything I read said it started with the carrier. A reverse search would be tedious, but may provide something that stands out at that time. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was terminated. Most companies have policies that forbid employees from speaking to the media unless they have been approved to speak with the media. Companies have designated spokespersons who are trained to speak to the media. Although she may be responsible for a major tip for the police, she should have followed a chain of command. Where I worked, I was the media spokesperson for a chain of retail stores. In the employees' manual of how to handle an emergency situation, it said that if the police are called, they must call their district manager and call me. Then, in the district manager's procedures, it said that they are to call their Vice President and call me if the employee hasn't already called me. Regardless of what time of day or night it was, I went to EVERY crime scene or location that resulted in the police being called.

That lady might end up being a hero, so perhaps we should give her a bit more grace.

Also, it looks like it's a Mom and Pop type joint, and she clearly has unfettered access to all the security video, so even though she didn't want to disclose her name and told media she was a 'manager' I bet she either owns the place or has longstanding trust with the owners.

Thank you! I've seen a lot of locals here talking about having trucks/jeeps for winter driving, so I'm trying to suss out how the tire tracks could be connected to a car like an Elantra. It looks like so many other cars folks have posted here, and I'm curious as to how they determined it was this particular model. I wonder if it was driven by the killer(s) or whether there was someone waiting to be the getaway car.
BBM
So many modern cars look so similar due to federal regulations. Every part of a vehicle has to adhere to its own regulations.

Maybe LE has tip(s) or better video/photos of said car. We may never know

I think it's possible that the suspect did not get rid of his knife. It sounds like an unusual knife, more like a tool that could be used in hunting, for example. People become attached to some knives, more so when they hold memories.

This was targeted/ planned, so it could be his personal knife, not something he would throw away. In fact, throwing it away might make it worse - especially if someone recognized his knife.
I think the killer would hold onto the knife-it'd be too much of a "trophy" now and he'll probably get a thrill everytime he handles it. However, I'd think it's still somewhat stupid to do that, unless he soaks the knife in bleach and even then there probably will be blood dna evidence if the weapon is completely taken apart.

Just want to clarify because I’m very confused….

Is the white Hyundai Elantra deemed to be the car of a POI? Has LE stated that the Elantra is involved in this murder?
Yes, any occupant(s) of that car are POIs by definition, but that tells us nothing, and certainly doesn't mean they were directly involved in the crime.
Person of interest - Wikipedia

It has no legal meaning, but refers to someone in whom the police are "interested", either because the person is cooperating with the investigation, may have information that would assist the investigation, or possesses certain characteristics that merit further attention.

I am a new poster but have been reading the thread for 3 weeks. I agree with you about the white Elantra. That's just not the type of car guy would drive. I also read up on the kbar and it was originally a hand-to-hand combat weapon, which makes me feel like the perp is a female that didn't know the difference because that type of knife gets dull quickly, especially after making contact with bone. Someone with more experience would not have carried that knife as a weapon. It could also mean that the car isn't relevant. Thank you for syaying that you didn't believe that was a car a man wouldn't drive and giving me the courage to speak-up and post!
Plenty of men drive Elantras.

The sharpness of a knife is mostly irrelevant when stabbing 4 people to death. It's not quite the same as chopping onions.

Thanks! I agree, it’s likely a newer Velostar. It also has a black front-end while the gas station footage shows it as all-white.

There is a second car at the end of that block, too. (Photo above) Can you tell what that one is? Looks like a Nissan Altima.

What a weird coincidence.
What coincidence? Multiple white cars from different manufacturers in the same neighborhood?

In our area, the coroner is an elected official. The current one is a mortician at a funeral home.

It's the same here for coroners. They do have to take some sort of training/education each year.
----------
When this first happened LE said it was a Rambo-style knife. They were asking around at local shops if they specifically sold Ka-bar knives. The knife in the article below, from a UK murder, actually has Rambo stamped on the blade. I am not suggesting that the knife in the link below, is the same brand, but it gives a good picture of what a "Rambo-style" knife could look like. I'm not posting pics of the knives b/c they're at the link, and, just playing it safe. :)

Here is a link to an actual USMC KA-BAR®, Serrated Edge knife.

"Ka-Bar knives are about 6 inches long and "similar to the knife Rambo has," Jutte said. They have a blade on one side and a serrated edge on the other. The combat knife was issued by the U.S. Marine Corps in the 1940s, according to the company’s website. The knife was later adopted by the Marines, the Army, the Navy, the Coast Guard, and the Underwater Demolition Teams. The knives are widely used by survivalists and outdoorsmen, according to Ka-Bar. " See link for quote.

The serrated part of the knife will inflict more damage. Think skinning a deer. You'd probably not want one for that purpose as you'd risk puncturing an organ (some hunters will just use box cutters). The Rambo-style knives are considered survivalist-type knives.

"The Rambo knife design was based on the Vietnam-era survival knives carried by pilots. The idea is that when your plane crashes, you have a knife and you also have a survival kit to use. The survival kit is stored in the handle of the knife. The survival kit includes the basics you’d need to survive such as fishing lures, thread, needles, matches, and a tiny surgical knife." See the link below for the previous quote and lots of pics of the knives used in the Rambo movies.

Last edited:
I just don't see the LE being at any fault for the surveillance video delay. Measuring from the crime scene to the gas station in question, there are 100's of other businesses closer to the crime scene than this specific location. In addition, most of those other businesses are closer to route 95, which seems to carry more traffic for people going in, and out, of Moscow. I don't fault anyone on wanting to focus on prioritizing all of those locations over this gas station, and there just doesn't exist the manpower to get every piece of footage from an area with so many businesses in a dense location.

Good for the person at this gas station for taking the time to review the footage on their own and help out. That's what a good citizen does, and, instead of the people criticizing and saying, "Why didn't LE visit us earlier," maybe they should look at what the people did at this gas station and follow their example. They wouldn't even have to review it! Common sense would tell someone to hit save on those nights, and then send it over to the tip line.

I have cameras on my home, and I review things frequently when there are crimes even remotely close to my area. You just never know. A lesson to all to be proactive and helpful, because investigators can't be everywhere all at once.

Someone may have mentioned this is an earlier thread, but I wonder if LE attempted to get prints off Murphy’s collar? I’m surmising that it may have been the perp who put Murphy in a separate room the night of the murders.
King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID
Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene.

"It had to be a really big knife to inflict those injuries and kill four people," she said.

Kaylee Goncalves' father told Fox News Digital in an exclusive interview Sunday that Mabbutt described the wounds as "tears" and "big open gouges."

At least one victim had defensive wounds, which suggested she awoke during the attack, Mabbutt noted.

Another avenue for procuring that type of weapon is thru an antique store. Yes. For instance there is a high demand for vintage military supplies. I have a large vintage booth and often see knives of all kinds pass thru other booths! It would be a way to obtain a kabar without being noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member