IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's possible even with different "lots" of the same ammo. Do you really expect the police to tell you everything they know? Do you expect them to tell you things that might jeopardize the case? I am perfectly willing to wait. Others are very impatient. Tell me, what difference will it make to you if this is wrapped up tomorrow or 6 months for now? Don't you find this case interesting? Why are some so anxious for this to end?

So, if that is true there would be no way of VERIFYING a match or not, to the residue found on his hand(s). I don't know if Covelli offered that tidbit just for something to say, or if he was answering a reporter's question. Either way, it is non-information. The abiding inference is, then, that CG was shot by his own gun, and he has gun residue on his hand(s). Ergo, the residue is probably from him having shot himself with his own gun. JMO

How do you know how much they will spend from right now until the case is closed? I would think they would already have spent most of the money on the manhunt and all. I will accept whatever determination is made be it suicide, homicide, undetermined or whatever. Can you say the same?

So, if that is true there would be no way of VERIFYING a match or not, to the residue found on his hand(s). I don't know if Covelli offered that tidbit just for something to say, or if he was answering a reporter's question. Either way, it is non-information. The abiding inference is, then, that CG was shot by his own gun, and he has gun residue on his hand(s). Ergo, the residue is probably from him having shot himself with his own gun. JMO
I was just commenting on your post about the manufacture of ammunition. I reached no conclusions, you did.

How do you know how much they will spend from right now until the case is closed? I would think they would already have spent most of the money on the manhunt and all. I will accept whatever determination is made be it suicide, homicide, undetermined or whatever. Can you say the same?

I will accept whatever the Coroner determines...JMO

Considering they have no suspects or leads, if they end up with a determination of homicide in a few weeks, they will have to spend a lot more money. But right now, there really is nothing to suggest that homicide should still be on the table, so such a determination would be like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Last time I checked Fox Lake had a population of around 10,000. I would expect that they don't have a lot of murders. I can definately see the police spending a lot of their time and resources on any local murder. The manhunt might be different for sure.

And if it takes long enough maybe the public will just forget. I think that's in their playbook too.

JMO.
And that is why, ever since Filenko made his statement about late in November, I have believed that the announcement will be made late in the day on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The widow and children will be informed that morning. IMO.

I will accept whatever the evidence shows. I am intelligent enough that I can think for myself. I don't need to be spoonfed the task force's "interpretation" of evidence.
Trust me. Just because you have a badge does not mean you understand science or common sense.

Considering they have no suspects or leads, if they end up with a determination of homicide in a few weeks, they will have to spend a lot more money. But right now, there really is nothing to suggest that homicide should still be on the table, so such a determination would be like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
That's just your interpretation of what the media has said. If you don't trust the police that's your right. I trust my local sheriff and city police, but I don't live in Fox Lake. Do you trust your local police?

And that is why, ever since Filenko made his statement about late in November, I have believed that the announcement will be made late in the day on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The widow and children will be informed that morning. IMO.
I think they hope it will blow over quickly because everyone is in the holiday spirit and can't be bothered to complain about some little mistakes some task force made regarding the death of a local hero.

More interesting info here in regards to officers killed while wearing body armor and distances they were shot from.

Of officers killed in 2011, most (63) were killed with firearms. Of these, 50 were killed with handguns. (A breakdown of the types of weapons used in these slayings is provided in Table 27.)
5 officers had their weapons stolen.
3 officers were killed with their own weapons.
10 officers attempted to use their weapons; 17 officers fired their weapons.
21 officers were slain with firearms when they were 0-5 feet from the offenders.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...eloniously-killed/officers-feloniously-killed

Good thinking. I'll bet that's exactly what happens. If I'm remembering correctly they used Labor Day in the same manner. They put everyone off for three days or something?

I will accept whatever the evidence shows. I am intelligent enough that I can think for myself. I don't need to be spoonfed the task force's "interpretation" of evidence.
Trust me. Just because you have a badge does not mean you understand science or common sense.
" what the evidence shows." Do you really think that you or I will ever be able to have a peek at the case file? The only evidence we have so far is what's been presented in the media. It's obvious that you are convinced this was suicide and nothing will ever change your mind, and that's fine with me.

Old article but interesting....
Interviews with 50 murderers have produced the bureau's first sketch of a typical victim officer: ....
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/09/us/police-killers-offer-insights-into-victims-fatal-mistakes.html

^sbm Tillicum, Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

From link: "... television screen at an F.B.I. office here. The killer, a meek, slender young man, offered a clipped, authoritative critique of why his victim, an officer stopping him after an armed robbery, was too careless for his own good.
Too Little Control
"He did not take control of me," said the young felon, as if that was why he now faces a lifetime in prison.
The killer listened as the question was plainly put to him: What might the officer have done differently to live? "He never controlled my actions successfully," the convict scolded quietly, noting that the officer had foolishly kept his pistol holstered even as he watched his killer wheel around and fire point-blank."

If the three people Lt G described were there (IDK), doubt he ever had a chance to take immed phys control of them.

A bit O/T. Some ppl, on W/S & elsewhere, object to LEOs taking physical steps to make arrest, yet at virtually any time, seems LEOs have to consider this ^(civvy injuring, killing LEOs)^ as possible outcome if LEOs do not use physical steps. jm2cts.

" what the evidence shows." Do you really think that you or I will ever be able to have a peek at the case file? The only evidence we have so far is what's been presented in the media. It's obvious that you are convinced this was suicide and nothing will ever change your mind, and that's fine with me.

If they close the case they have to by law allow access to the evidence. In the case of a homicide the evidence will go to trial whee it will be viewed.

If they close the case they have to by law allow access to the evidence. In the case of a homicide the evidence will go to trial whee it will be viewed.
So you are saying anyone can go down to the inventory room and see everything in a case file? If that's true I think it's great.

What if the suspect is deceased?

So you are saying anyone can go down to the inventory room and see everything in a case file? If that's true I think it's great.

You can make a request to see inventory. You will be granted a time and location.
If the case is closed they pretty much have to be accommodating as it is considered public records. If the car is still awaiting trial then you need to have a reason to see it.

I don't know why you think the police own the evidence. They don't. The people own the evidence.

I wanted to add that anyone can request that all evidence and paperwork involving any case is preserved and the police and DA must do so unless they go to court to request it be destroyed.

If you are ever involved in a case I suggest you do this. This prevents inventory cleaning as the excuse for losing crucial evidence for future cases.

Then the DA will decide how to proceed. The police don't make that decision.

I didn't say anything about the police making a decision. My point is that the evidence may never be released to the public in that situation. There are several cases of murder (not just officers) where the murderer committed suicide afterwards and the case was closed with the media and the public only given minimal information IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigLemon