GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. OS needs to fly home- wherever that is. Unless she has some kind of legal claim to Stella, which I doubt. It was probably more like an agreement that Heather made for OS to watch her, like a babysitter until she got out. Did Heather or anyone pay for OS to raise Stella??? So the remaining choices are Child Protective Services, Vanessa Flavia, Kia Walker, or the Von Weise family to get custody. None of which involve OS. Heather no longer gets a say in who raises her daughter, and she won't be able to use her as a prop and mooch off Stella's trust. And I also really doubt that Stella will be attending Bali schools online homeschooling anymore. There's no more reason to. Enroll her in the US. I'm sure that there are plenty of good in-person elementary schools in Chicago.

The only way that Stella could continue school in Bali, in my opinion, is if she was attending an International Boarding School. If she was attending a local school, which normally requires students to live within a jurisdiction, then she should be un-enrolled.

Mack will be banned from Bali for life, and there is no provision for minor children to remain in Bali after parents are deported. Stella could apply to visit Bali in 6 months, but why would a 6 year old move to Bali? Perhaps she should live close to her mother so she can visit her in jail.

Someone should look after the best interests of the child, put her in a good home and enrol her in school. Her life is now in Chicago, near her mother's prison - same situation as in Bali.

The only way that Stella could continue school in Bali, in my opinion, is if she was attending an International Boarding School. If she was attending a local school, which normally requires students to live within a jurisdiction, then she should be un-enrolled.

Mack will be banned from Bali for life, and there is no provision for minor children to remain in Bali after parents are deported. Stella could apply to visit Bali in 6 months, but why would a 6 year old move to Bali? Perhaps she should live close to her mother so she can visit her in jail.

Someone should look after the best interests of the child, put her in a good home and enrol her in school. Her life is now in Chicago, near her mother's prison - same situation as in Bali.
Can Heather's parental rights be terminated altogether? She's already got a murder conviction.

Can Heather's parental rights be terminated altogether? She's already got a murder conviction.

I would hope so, but I don't know. Perhaps we have to wait for trial. She is facing life in prison for two charges, and 20 years for the third charge. A conviction for any of those charges should mean that she loses custody.

Perhaps she can give full custody to the Australian woman who lives in Bali, but that would deprive extended family from having a relationship with the child.

"If convicted, she faces a maximum statutory penalty of life imprisonment for counts one and two, and 20 years’ imprisonment for count three as well as a fine up to $US250,000."​

Bali ‘suitcase killer’ arrested in US after early release from prison

We need a grandparent rights and custody lawyer from the Chicago area to weigh in.

Re: schools in Bali. Aside from the time zone issue, residence requirements may or may not apply. We're talking another country.

Parental rights? That's where it really gets interesting. HM and Stella are US citizens in the US now. TS is Stella's father and he also has his parental rights, rights that he didn't have in Bali. I'm not sure how you go about terminating the parental rights of one parent and not the other. Perhaps it's more a custody issue.

I also think that Flavia has legal control over Stella right now. I don't think a judge is going to argue with her if she says she and HM agree that OS will be a suitable caregiver for Stella in the near term - instead of CPS.

Now that Stella is on US soil, I think it might get complicated if OS wants to take Stella back to Bali. I think that would require the guardian ad litem's OK at this point.

HM is still so arrogant, so sure she's cleverer than everyone else. She's blathered on for the last couple years about what she would and wouldn't do when her sentence was up, as though it was all up to her. Instead, she wasn't given the option to leave Stella behind - or to stay herself. I imagine it came as a bit of a shock when she was told - told, not asked - that she would be flying to Chicago, not LA as she had planned. I wonder if the new lawyer in LA is the 'friend' she planned to say with.

I don't think she planned to be met at the airport gate on arrival.

Since, as has been pointed out, things have come as a surprise to HM and her lawyers, they are all likely scrambling at the moment to get a new plan in place. VF has been representing HM since the beginning. I’m still not sure what, if anything, she has been paid for her services. Remember, she travelled to Bali right at the beginning with the other male lawyer that was her partner at the time (name escapes me at the moment) and then tried to appoint herself as the baby’s attorney before she was even born.

I’m sure, right now, she has OS and Stella put up in a nice hotel or Air Bnb rental and will be charging the trust for that. Right now, they are only planning for the time period until the 10th to see if HM can get out on bail and be reunited with OS and Stella. I guess a new plan will be developed at that time.

I find it amusing that Mr Claypool has suddenly gone silent now that VF is back in the picture.

MOO

Heather Mack pleads not guilty to federal charges of conspiracy and obstruction of justice stemming from murder of her mother

Mack made an appearance for an initial hearing at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse Wednesday afternoon and pleaded not guilty to two counts of conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country and obstruction of justice. Shackled and wearing a brown turtleneck sweater, she was arraigned before U.S. District Judge Charles Norgle, who ordered her back to court Nov. 10.

Also charged with the same counts was her boyfriend at the time of the murder, Tommy Schaefer, who is still in prison in Bali.

The counts carry a maximum of life in prison if convicted.
That article! Her lawyer claiming this is “sour grapes” - wow…

There seems to be sooo much overwhelming evidence against HM and Bibbs got 9 years for his role so I can’t see how she won’t do serious federal time in the US now.
Also edited to add, IMO, TS will now have to face the reality that this will happen to him too on his release. He seems to be remorseful but unfortunately actions have consequences.

“In court, Mack’s attorney objected to a request by the prosecution for Mack’s psychological records. The prosecution said the records would show a series of attacks on Von Weise by Mack, showing her violent behavior and that Mack poses a danger to the community.

The judge said he would allow the records.”

Heather Mack Arrested On Federal Conspiracy And Obstruction Of Justice Charges In Mother's Murder, After Release From Prison In Indonesia

Finally all those stories HM has told of how horrible her mother was to her may be put to rest. I wonder which attorney was fighting this request? Do you think Mr Claypool might feel a little blindsided by HM? Do you think he would have been going on about how HM has already done her time if he knew about the conspiracy to commit murder that started in the US?

This article mentions "prison born" child. That's something the child does not yet know, but it's true. The child was told that she is on vacation with her mother for six months. Perhaps Heather wanted the child to remain in Bali because she didn't want her child to know what happened to the child's grandmother? What did the 6 year old think when her mother was surrounded by FBI at the airport? The child has a hired lawyer as guardian?

Heather Mack must have had some sort of special non-prison like circumstances during the first three years of incarceration (pregnancy + 2 years with child) for the child to not know that her mother was in prison. A trust fund for the child would have paid for special circumstances for the mother - I suppose.

"Suitcase killer Heather Mack faces second trial for mother's murder as she is arrested when she arrives back in US from Indonesia with her prison-born little girl, six."

Heather Mack arrested moments after landing in the US | Daily Mail Online

Heather Mack should tell her 6 year old daughter the sad truth. Her daughter will grow up fast, but Heather set this in motion while she was pregnant. If she really cared, she would have thought of her unborn child on the day she murdered her mother. Mack apparently believed her mother was worth $11 million.

“In court, Mack’s attorney objected to a request by the prosecution for Mack’s psychological records. The prosecution said the records would show a series of attacks on Von Weise by Mack, showing her violent behavior and that Mack poses a danger to the community.

Heather Mack Arrested On Federal Conspiracy And Obstruction Of Justice Charges In Mother's Murder, After Release From Prison In Indonesia

Finally all those stories HM has told of how horrible her mother was to her may be put to rest. I wonder which attorney was fighting this request? Do you think Mr Claypool might feel a little blindsided by HM? Do you think he would have been going on about how HM has already done her time if he knew about the conspiracy to commit murder that started in the US?
This is who represented her in court today…

Her lawyer, Keith Spielfogel, said he planned to ask that she be released on bond pending trial but needed more time to prepare.

Days after release from prison overseas, Heather Mack faces new reality, pleads not guilty to federal charges related to gruesome 2014 killing of her mother

This article mentions "prison born" child. That's something the child does not yet know, but it's true. The child was told that she is on vacation with her mother for six months. Perhaps Heather wanted the child to remain in Bali because she didn't want her child to know what happened to the child's grandmother? What did the 6 year old think when her mother was surrounded by FBI at the airport? The child has a hired lawyer as guardian?

Heather Mack must have had some sort of special non-prison like circumstances during the first three years of incarceration (pregnancy + 2 years with child) for the child to not know that her mother was in prison. A trust fund for the child would have paid for special circumstances for the mother - I suppose.

"Suitcase killer Heather Mack faces second trial for mother's murder as she is arrested when she arrives back in US from Indonesia with her prison-born little girl, six."

Heather Mack arrested moments after landing in the US | Daily Mail Online

Heather Mack should tell her 6 year old daughter the sad truth. Her daughter will grow up fast, but Heather set this in motion while she was pregnant. If she really cared, she would have thought of her unborn child on the day she murdered her mother. Mack apparently believed her mother was worth $11 million.

Pretty sure Stella was aware that her mother was in prison. It’s the reason why she was there that was likely “misrepresented”.

MOO

Since, as has been pointed out, things have come as a surprise to HM and her lawyers, they are all likely scrambling at the moment to get a new plan in place. VF has been representing HM since the beginning. I’m still not sure what, if anything, she has been paid for her services. Remember, she travelled to Bali right at the beginning with the other male lawyer that was her partner at the time (name escapes me at the moment) and then tried to appoint herself as the baby’s attorney before she was even born.

I’m sure, right now, she has OS and Stella put up in a nice hotel or Air Bnb rental and will be charging the trust for that. Right now, they are only planning for the time period until the 10th to see if HM can get out on bail and be reunited with OS and Stella. I guess a new plan will be developed at that time.

I find it amusing that Mr Claypool has suddenly gone silent now that VF is back in the picture.

MOO

Is one a criminal lawyer and the other a custody/ guardianship/ trust lawyer? Interesting that this particular lawyer has been involved with the custody since before birth. Whose idea was that? Mack? Is that lawyer overseeing the trust? Makes sense that the same lawyer who controls the trust would take-in the prison-born child recently orphaned in Chicago.

Her lawyer, Keith Spielfogel, said he planned to ask that she be released on bond pending trial but needed more time to prepare.

Days after release from prison overseas, Heather Mack faces new reality, pleads not guilty to federal charges related to gruesome 2014 killing of her mother

So yet another lawyer on the “team”. How is this even possible when she supposedly has zero dollars? And who will post bond for her if she’s granted it? She should be denied, I’d call her a flight risk for sure. She does what she wants and she’s already had some pretty choice words for what she thinks of the FBI back when she was in Kerobokan.

MOO

She's a flight risk with her daughter in the care of her lawyer and an Australian woman living in Bali ... all poised to take action if Heather Mack is not incarcerated.

The psychological records should remove all doubt that the six year old child will be safer away from her mother, Heather Mack. If Heather could murder her mother for money, what is stopping her from being abusive towards her daughter for money?

"The indictment accuses Mack and Schaefer of conspiring to kill von Wiese Mack in her hotel room at a Bali resort on Aug. 12, 2014.

The indictment specifically says the couple, while in the United States, “conspired with each other” to kill Mack’s mother. It says, “on or about August 2, 2014, Mack boarded an airplane at O’Hare” and “arranged for Schaefer to travel from Chicago, Illinois to Bali, Indonesia.”

According to the indictment, they also “corruptly destroyed, mutilated and concealed objects, and attempted to do so, with intent to impair the object’s [Sheila's body?] integrity and availability for use in an official proceeding, by forcing the body of Sheila A. Von Wiese into a suitcase after she had been killed and removing the suitcase from the place of the murder, and by removing linens and items of clothing worn during the killing.”

The indictment also accuses the couple of conspiring with Schaefer’s cousin, Robert Ryan Justin Bibbs, who did not participate in the killing, but pleaded guilty to advising Schaefer with how to get away with the murder."

It sounds like something strange was done to Sheila von Wiese-Mack's body to fit her into a suitcase, and that forcing her into a suitcase interfered with examination of the body to rule which injuries caused death.

"According to the indictment, they “corruptly destroyed, mutilated and concealed objects, and attempted to do so, with intent to impair the object’s [Sheila's body?] integrity and availability for use in an official proceeding, by forcing the body of Sheila A. Von Wiese into a suitcase after she had been killed and removing the suitcase from the place of the murder." (link)​

I have the impression that Heather Mack is only beginning to understand the consequences of what she has done. She seemed to be living like a wealthy prison celebrity in Bali, proud of murdering and mutilating her mother.

I'm curious. Heather Mack was sentenced to 10 years, forgiven 34 months for good behaviour, and deported. Is there any international agreement that Mack's country of birth (i.e.: USA) has to honour the early release? Can the USA automatically require that the full remaining 34 month sentence be completed in the USA? I can't see any reason why not. One country's prison idea is dance & fashion rehabilitation, another country's idea is punishment for justice.

Were Heather and daughter released early and deported because the child is of school age, and is it in the best interests of the child that she complete all 12 school years in one education system? Is it in the best interests of the child that she return to the USA at age 6, start grade 1 in her own country?

Heather was to be released in 2024 - which would mean transferring the child out of her school system in grade 3, or arguing that she should be allowed to remain in Bali for schooling until age 18.

Pretty sure Stella was aware that her mother was in prison. It’s the reason why she was there that was likely “misrepresented”.

MOO

Thank you!

So Stella knows that her mother was arrested in a country, far away from home, but her mother is happily dancing and hosting fashion shows in prison. One day she and her mother will vacation in her mother's homeland ... like the fairy tale of the victim princess.

Vacation starts with mom being arrested at the airport and the child being left with her foster mother and mother's lawyer in a foreign country. Will they tell the truth, or deceive with more tall tales about "vacations?"

If the child already knows that her mother was in prison, now is the time to tell the whole story in a gentle way so the child can prepare for her future. Six years old is old enough to understand, although it means growing up fast. That is on Heather.

Mack will be banned from Bali for life, and there is no provision for minor children to remain in Bali after parents are deported. Stella could apply to visit Bali in 6 months, but why would a 6 year old move to Bali?
Stella was born in Bali though. Does she have or could apply for dual citizenship?
Parental rights? That's where it really gets interesting. HM and Stella are US citizens in the US now.
Yes, but there's no telling what Favia has planned with OS. Stella was born in Bali and brought up there all this time.

Heather better not get out on bond. It seems like she'd be a flight risk. Of course, she couldn't take off with Stella and expect to hide while tapping into Stella's Trust. I don't know how she's connected with people / attorneys wanting to help her. It's Stella's money now and unless Heather gets custody, even then, seems like there'd be no money for her helpers. Heather thinks she's a movie star now with the sun glasses. I bet she has some kind of plan to sell her story.

The connection between Stella and her foster mother OS looks quite strong. That's who Stella had to look to for the day to day security. I do think Stella was provided with good care and looks well balanced and happy, but now... who knows. MOO, it's a shame that little girl has to have the rug swiped out from under her over and over. Also, all these greedy people with their eyes on her Trust Money willing to befriend and help her murderous mother.

'Suitcase Killer' Heather Mack Arrested Upon Return to U.S. | PEOPLE.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back