Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #162

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox59 reporter Angela Ganote has more info on her verified Facebook page:

"Allen's attorneys state in part, that Allen being held in the Westville Correctional Facility where those convicted of the most heinous crimes are held not those presumed innocent. Allen's attorneys say they were denied a request to inspect his living conditions but they believe they are the following as quoted in the motion:

6 X 10 cell no larger than a dog kennel.
Sleeping pad on a concrete floor.
Shower 2 times a week
Required to wear same clothes, underwear, all of which are soiled and tattered.
No visit of his wife or family in the past 5 months.
Subjected to conditions akin to a prisoner of war.
1000 pages of police reports delivered to Allen on March 24 have still not been given to him.
Attorneys state he is being treated less favorably than a convicted person.
Appears to be suffering from psychotic symptoms described as schizophrenic and delusional.
Attorneys are asking he be transferred to a traditional bed space in the Cass County Jail near his office.
They are asking for an emergency hearing."

I will edit to add the link.

Edit: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...r6ESEotVBl&id=100044311365463&mibextid=Nif5oz

"“It is difficult, if not impossible, for Mr. Allen’s Attorneys to share confidential and sensitive information with Mr. Allen due to the logistical challenges associated with Mr. Allen’s segregation and isolation to the extent that Mr. Allen is being deprived of his constitutional right to assist in his defense.”"

" They have generally viewed Allen as polite, communicative and in good humor “in spite of his false arrest and circumstances.” But they’ve noticed a “steep decline” in his ability to communicate and assist in his defense, according to the motion."

"“It is difficult, if not impossible, for Mr. Allen’s Attorneys to share confidential and sensitive information with Mr. Allen due to the logistical challenges associated with Mr. Allen’s segregation and isolation to the extent that Mr. Allen is being deprived of his constitutional right to assist in his defense.”"

" They have generally viewed Allen as polite, communicative and in good humor “in spite of his false arrest and circumstances.” But they’ve noticed a “steep decline” in his ability to communicate and assist in his defense, according to the motion."

Realizing you got caught and have to face the facts... might have something to do with his decline.

The no shower..is probably his choice

From the article above:

Allen’s attorneys found space in the Cass County Jail about 20 miles from the Carroll County Courthouse. They said he would have better access to his defense team and would be able to see his family regularly. Attorneys said they contacted Prosecutor Nick McLeland about moving Allen, who had no objection to relocating him closer to family.

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Department, on the other hand, declined to have Allen moved out of the Westville facility, his attorneys said.

“Mr. Allen asserts that said denial is a deliberate attempt to impose conditions upon him that are intended to frustrate his purpose in defending against the charged allegations and create hardship on him which would drive any human to mental breakdown,” the motion said.

Fox59 reporter Angela Ganote has more info on her verified Facebook page:

"Allen's attorneys state in part, that Allen being held in the Westville Correctional Facility where those convicted of the most heinous crimes are held not those presumed innocent. Allen's attorneys say they were denied a request to inspect his living conditions but they believe they are the following as quoted in the motion:

6 X 10 cell no larger than a dog kennel.
Sleeping pad on a concrete floor.
Shower 2 times a week
Required to wear same clothes, underwear, all of which are soiled and tattered.
No visit of his wife or family in the past 5 months.
Subjected to conditions akin to a prisoner of war.
1000 pages of police reports delivered to Allen on March 24 have still not been given to him.
Attorneys state he is being treated less favorably than a convicted person.
Appears to be suffering from psychotic symptoms described as schizophrenic and delusional.
Attorneys are asking he be transferred to a traditional bed space in the Cass County Jail near his office.
They are asking for an emergency hearing."

I will edit to add the link.

Edit: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...r6ESEotVBl&id=100044311365463&mibextid=Nif5oz
While showering 2X a week might be cringeworthy for some, daily isn't really necessary. A lot of people just think it is. It's how they were raised IMO.

Many doctors say a daily shower is fine for most people. (More than that could start to cause skin problems.)

But for many people, two to three times a week is enough and may be even better to maintain good health.

I don’t want RA or anyone awaiting trial to be mistreated but unless he’s being interrogated,tortured, and beaten unconscience on a regular basis it is outrageous and offensive to suggest he’s being treated like a POW.
After a long list of grievances including that RA is now psychotic and delusional, his lawyers remedy is to move him to a jail near their office. Right. That is a known treatment for mental illness.
I really don’t buy any of this.

Anyone know, wouldn’t it routinely be the responsibility of the Court to determine precisely where an accused will be housed? I’m doubtful that the defence team and Sheriff’s Dept can just decide on their own to have him moved, and if not I wonder how much of the other information in the motion is reliable.

Google maps tells me Westville and Cass County Jail are appx 1 1/2 hours apart. Travel for hours??? It seems as if this motion was written in the style of an exaggerated pity fest, not something one might expect from a respectable legal defence team defending a client’s innocence. JMO

from link above

“Allen’s attorneys described him as isolated and said they have to “travel for hours” to see their client. The conditions are harming Allen’s physical and mental health—and impairing his attorneys’ ability to mount their defense, they argued…..

…….Allen’s attorneys found space in the Cass County Jail about 20 miles from the Carroll County Courthouse. They said he would have better access to his defense team and would be able to see his family regularly. Attorneys said they contacted Prosecutor Nick McLeland about moving Allen, who had no objection to relocating him closer to family.

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Department, on the other hand, declined to have Allen moved out of the Westville facility, his attorneys said.”

I don’t want RA or anyone awaiting trial to be mistreated but unless he’s being interrogated,tortured, and beaten unconscience on a regular basis it is outrageous and offensive to suggest he’s being treated like a POW.
After a long list of grievances including that RA is now psychotic and delusional, his lawyers remedy is to move him to a jail near their office. Right. That is a known treatment for mental illness.
I really don’t buy any of this.
The case must be super strong if they’re resorting to this nonsense.

How many of us would maintain a "polite good humor" if we had been charged with a ghastly crime that we did not commit?
Though I don't want Draconian measures for anyone awaiting trial, it's a long time until the that trial, and he can wait and think.

If he committed this heinous crime (and it appears LE feels very strongly he did), I have no sympathy for him. He can stay where he is. But, I’d still give him a bed.
As @MassGuy said, the prosecution doesn't control his conditions. The jail does.

Quite possibly his cot has been removed due to hard edges.

He may be on a voluntary hunger strike.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads