IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in one of the earlier threads there's information where I looked up his early convictions in North Carolina and mapped them; it appeared that he had a pattern of going away from his home/the base to expose himself. It's not an uncommon pattern for serial sex offenders. If that's his pattern (and there's not enough evidence to say it is) he might have chosen that area precisely because he had no connection to it. But that would make it much more difficult to prove he was ever there.
I don't know the actual addresses of the indecent exposures that he was caught at, but 4 were at Camp LeJuene, 1 in Spartanburg which he got probation and the one at Port Royal when they had moved him to Parris Island which busted his probation and got him the jail time - finally.
While on this subject I am appalled that he got a Misdemeanor for the Rickers exposure. I mean he was actually a restroom, not in his car. it seems like such a greater violation. I know if it happened to me I would feel much more violated to have a man peeping on me while I used a public restroom!

I tried to find it in my "thanked" posts but I couldn't find it. A Mod may have deleted the post because like you said it may have been a rumor on SM. I'm sorry, I wasn't saying the information was fact but the way the poster worded it made it sound like it was. I'm not trying to spread rumors, it's just been in the back of my mind so I thought I would ask.
It was on 12/22 based on a PM i shared that say regarding that post. But I looked last night and it was deleted.

Anyone willing to help me by giving a brief 1, 2, 3 example list of why you believe he is or isn't the right guy?

Why does it matter what anyone here believes? LE has remained very tight-lipped from the onset, with so few facts known beliefs are based purely on speculation. What matters is LE solves the case and the person responsible is successfully prosecuted regardless of who it is.

There are 79 threads. I’m trying to catch up and I value the opinions of my fellow websleuthers who have followed from the start. Matter of public opinion does matter...it’s inevitably the jury. If DN were to go to trial today based on what loyal followers know why or why not would you convict.

With the intent of illustrating how this case has affected the area, to encourage you all to keep looking, I want to describe the destruction this scum bag, whoever he is, left in his wake.
I used to live in Delphi for a couple years until maybe 2013. I worked with the community. My family is still there. I now live 20 minutes away. The day the girls went missing, I believe my ex-husband, who was raised there, called and told me. We had hiked that bridge and surrounding area for 7-8 hours straight in 2010. It was totally normal. We also got incredibly lost in thick forest and had to cut through entire areas full of thorny bushes and ended up covered in bloody scratches from them. I feel like it's pretty normal for the area. In other words, no one was worried. When the news came of bodies found, I can't describe to you the disbelief. I would legitimately not be surprised if most people checked to see if they were reading about the right town. To hear it was them, two young girls, time stopped. It was that almost visible fog where you feel like you're officially not sure if you're awake or not.
Media has said Delphi is small, but it's even smaller than that. One grocery store and it's a very small one. 2 gas stations right across the street from each other, right beside the police station that has a parking lot for police vehicles that's maybe 6 spots wide. This was probably the only positive that people felt at the time, that if these girls had to be killed, the murderer would be caught. Police even encouraged just logical safety methods like making sure people know where you are, try to have someone walk with you if you hoof it anywhere. Everyone I know expected it to all be over within a few days.
My mom described this time as immensely quiet. The grocery store, she said you could hear crickets chirp. No one talked. Not because they were scared, but because it was almost like paying an homage. And people didn't want to be reminded that there was only one thing to talk about and it was too hard to breathe aloud to mere acquaintances.
In July, I had to go get blood work for a new job and my previous Delphi address was on my ID. The nurse asked if I still lived in Delphi, I said no. What started out as us laughing and chatting, it all changed with that one word. Upon hearing the word Delphi, we both looked down and there was complete silence. The words that came next were from the nurse. "I know their grandpa. He's a mess over this." She used a hushed voice. No one around here talks about it at normal volume. It's almost as if it's disrespectful to what happened. Like you don't want to wake the girls peacefully sleeping somewhere in the sky.
Some details were shed in the early days of the murders by family members on Facebook then quickly removed. All that's left now is silence.
We weren't scared at the beginning. But as time goes on, that's changed. My mom, who is not wealthy, bought me a car (I had recently split from my husband and left him everything so I walked back and forth to work to prove to myself that I could succeed on my own). This was probably 6 months after the murders. She was very stressed out about me walking, which is not normal for her. I started getting nervous and carrying a box cutter. Now, I look everywhere. When I walk out of my work. When I go to the mall with my son. Those girls are everywhere and every male is scrutinized. I don't think any of us will ever be the same. And I can't help but feel like this case is maybe not officially cold, but well on it's way.

I don't know the actual addresses of the indecent exposures that he was caught at, but 4 were at Camp LeJuene, 1 in Spartanburg which he got probation and the one at Port Royal when they had moved him to Parris Island which busted his probation and got him the jail time - finally.
While on this subject I am appalled that he got a Misdemeanor for the Rickers exposure. I mean he was actually a restroom, not in his car. it seems like such a greater violation. I know if it happened to me I would feel much more violated to have a man peeping on me while I used a public restroom!

Has he been to court for the rickers incident? I thought he was FTA on that, and Bartholomew County had a warrant out for him.

With the intent of illustrating how this case has affected the area, to encourage you all to keep looking, I want to describe the destruction this scum bag, whoever he is, left in his wake.
I used to live in Delphi for a couple years until maybe 2013. I worked with the community. My family is still there. I now live 20 minutes away. The day the girls went missing, I believe my ex-husband, who was raised there, called and told me. We had hiked that bridge and surrounding area for 7-8 hours straight in 2010. It was totally normal. We also got incredibly lost in thick forest and had to cut through entire areas full of thorny bushes and ended up covered in bloody scratches from them. I feel like it's pretty normal for the area. In other words, no one was worried. When the news came of bodies found, I can't describe to you the disbelief. I would legitimately not be surprised if most people checked to see if they were reading about the right town. To hear it was them, two young girls, time stopped. It was that almost visible fog where you feel like you're officially not sure if you're awake or not.
Media has said Delphi is small, but it's even smaller than that. One grocery store and it's a very small one. 2 gas stations right across the street from each other, right beside the police station that has a parking lot for police vehicles that's maybe 6 spots wide. This was probably the only positive that people felt at the time, that if these girls had to be killed, the murderer would be caught. Police even encouraged just logical safety methods like making sure people know where you are, try to have someone walk with you if you hoof it anywhere. Everyone I know expected it to all be over within a few days.
My mom described this time as immensely quiet. The grocery store, she said you could hear crickets chirp. No one talked. Not because they were scared, but because it was almost like paying an homage. And people didn't want to be reminded that there was only one thing to talk about and it was too hard to breathe aloud to mere acquaintances.
In July, I had to go get blood work for a new job and my previous Delphi address was on my ID. The nurse asked if I still lived in Delphi, I said no. What started out as us laughing and chatting, it all changed with that one word. Upon hearing the word Delphi, we both looked down and there was complete silence. The words that came next were from the nurse. "I know their grandpa. He's a mess over this." She used a hushed voice. No one around here talks about it at normal volume. It's almost as if it's disrespectful to what happened. Like you don't want to wake the girls peacefully sleeping somewhere in the sky.
Some details were shed in the early days of the murders by family members on Facebook then quickly removed. All that's left now is silence.
We weren't scared at the beginning. But as time goes on, that's changed. My mom, who is not wealthy, bought me a car (I had recently split from my husband and left him everything so I walked back and forth to work to prove to myself that I could succeed on my own). This was probably 6 months after the murders. She was very stressed out about me walking, which is not normal for her. I started getting nervous and carrying a box cutter. Now, I look everywhere. When I walk out of my work. When I go to the mall with my son. Those girls are everywhere and every male is scrutinized. I don't think any of us will ever be the same. And I can't help but feel like this case is maybe not officially cold, but well on it's way.

I’m so sorry about the devastation this monster has caused. I don’t think Delphi will be peaceful again until this piece of excrement is behind bars.

I realize this cold case is from 1987, but note age, looks, time of day, and railroad:

http://www.in.gov/isp/2928.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the above link:

"LINDA L. WELDY 02/24/1987

Case Number 13F-27330

Case Date: 02/24/1987

Sex: Female

Race: Caucasian

County: LaPorte

Location of Crime: Abandoned Railroad Right of Way, east of U.S. 35 off of County Road 500 South, Indiana

Circumstances: On 02/24/1987, Linda Weldy was last seen at 3:30 P.M. in front of her home after exiting the school bus located at 181 W. McClung Road, LaPorte, IN. On 03/17/1987, Linda’s body was discovered on an abandoned Wabash Railroad Right of Way, near Kingsbury, IN.

Anyone with information about this case, please call:

Indiana State Police
District Investigative Commander
1550 East 181 Ave.
Lowell, IN 46356
1-219-696-6242 or 1-800-552-8917"

Eta / WS thread:

IN - Linda Weldy, 10, Laporte, 24 Feb 1987
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?74113-IN-Linda-Weldy-10-Laporte-24-Feb-1987

Back in one of the earlier threads there's information where I looked up his early convictions in North Carolina and mapped them; it appeared that he had a pattern of going away from his home/the base to expose himself. It's not an uncommon pattern for serial sex offenders. If that's his pattern (and there's not enough evidence to say it is) he might have chosen that area precisely because he had no connection to it. But that would make it much more difficult to prove he was ever there.
He also did that in Indiana - took his employer's vehicle without permission or a licence and drove a round trip of 80 miles to commit the offence at Rickers in Columbus. We don't know how many times he has got away with it obviously. Moo

With the intent of illustrating how this case has affected the area, to encourage you all to keep looking, I want to describe the destruction this scum bag, whoever he is, left in his wake. I used to live in Delphi for a couple years until maybe 2013. I worked with the community. My family is still there. I now live 20 minutes away. The day the girls went missing, I believe my ex-husband, who was raised there, called and told me. We had hiked that bridge and surrounding area for 7-8 hours straight in 2010. It was totally normal. We also got incredibly lost in thick forest and had to cut through entire areas full of thorny bushes and ended up covered in bloody scratches from them. I feel like it's pretty normal for the area. In other words, no one was worried. When the news came of bodies found, I can't describe to you the disbelief. I would legitimately not be surprised if most people checked to see if they were reading about the right town. To hear it was them, two young girls, time stopped. It was that almost visible fog where you feel like you're officially not sure if you're awake or not. Media has said Delphi is small, but it's even smaller than that. One grocery store and it's a very small one. 2 gas stations right across the street from each other, right beside the police station that has a parking lot for police vehicles that's maybe 6 spots wide. This was probably the only positive that people felt at the time, that if these girls had to be killed, the murderer would be caught. Police even encouraged just logical safety methods like making sure people know where you are, try to have someone walk with you if you hoof it anywhere. Everyone I know expected it to all be over within a few days. My mom described this time as immensely quiet. The grocery store, she said you could hear crickets chirp. No one talked. Not because they were scared, but because it was almost like paying an homage. And people didn't want to be reminded that there was only one thing to talk about and it was too hard to breathe aloud to mere acquaintances. In July, I had to go get blood work for a new job and my previous Delphi address was on my ID. The nurse asked if I still lived in Delphi, I said no. What started out as us laughing and chatting, it all changed with that one word. Upon hearing the word Delphi, we both looked down and there was complete silence. The words that came next were from the nurse. "I know their grandpa. He's a mess over this." She used a hushed voice. No one around here talks about it at normal volume. It's almost as if it's disrespectful to what happened. Like you don't want to wake the girls peacefully sleeping somewhere in the sky. Some details were shed in the early days of the murders by family members on Facebook then quickly removed. All that's left now is silence. We weren't scared at the beginning. But as time goes on, that's changed. My mom, who is not wealthy, bought me a car (I had recently split from my husband and left him everything so I walked back and forth to work to prove to myself that I could succeed on my own). This was probably 6 months after the murders. She was very stressed out about me walking, which is not normal for her. I started getting nervous and carrying a box cutter. Now, I look everywhere. When I walk out of my work. When I go to the mall with my son. Those girls are everywhere and every male is scrutinized. I don't think any of us will ever be the same. And I can't help but feel like this case is maybe not officially cold, but well on it's way.
Thanks for sharing this. During my visit in August, I found Delphi to be a very nice, and very quiet, town. The only sounds I heard in town which would carry a ways were from the train horns as the diesels would get close to the at-grade crossings on that Norfolk Southern mainline. A really nice and quiet town, that time of year.

Anyone willing to help me by giving a brief 1, 2, 3 example list of why you believe he is or isn't the right guy?
1. He fits the height and description.
2. Uncanny resemblance to sketch
3. Similar voice (Southern)
4. Is the only named POI
5. No apparent alibi for 13th Feb
6. History of DV and sex offences against women and children.
7. History of hatchet threatening and possession of a weapon by a felon.
8. History of driving and drug offences.
9. Anger issues (PTSD)
10. Has not been excluded by LE
11. Travels to commit offences
12. Failed to register and absconded to another state, hiding his identity and failing to register in a new state.

Hope thats enough. I can probably think of more.
:cow:

There are 79 threads. I’m trying to catch up and I value the opinions of my fellow websleuthers who have followed from the start. Matter of public opinion does matter...it’s inevitably the jury. If DN were to go to trial today based on what loyal followers know why or why not would you convict.

I do not believe that DN was involved because there is virtually nothing to tie him to the crime. He is a RSO, but we don't know if sexual assault was an aspect of the crime so that may not even be relevant to this case. We know that he has access to a gun and a hatchet (as do many other men in that area) but that point is moot since, at this time, we do not know whether a gun or a hatchet played a part in the crime. We've not been made aware of ANY ties to Delphi that DN may have, much less if he was there on the day in question. Some say he strongly resembles the sketch; I don't believe he resembles the sketch anymore than other criminals with records (none of whom we're allowed to discuss here). Although we don't know his whereabouts for the date in question, that fact matters little to me at this point and will continue not to matter to me until I a) get a cause of death that may be linked to DN or b) am made aware of DN's presence in Delphi on the date.

I do not believe that DN was involved because there is virtually nothing to tie him to the crime. He is a RSO, but we don't know if sexual assault was an aspect of the crime so that may not even be relevant to this case. We know that he has access to a gun and a hatchet (as do many other men in that area) but that point is moot since, at this time, we do not know whether a gun or a hatchet played a part in the crime. We've not been made aware of ANY ties to Delphi that DN may have, much less if he was there on the day in question. Some say he strongly resembles the sketch; I don't believe he resembles the sketch anymore than other criminals with records (none of whom we're allowed to discuss here). Although we don't know his whereabouts for the date in question, that fact matters little to me at this point and will continue not to matter to me until I a) get a cause of death that may be linked to DN or b) am made aware of DN's presence in Delphi on the date.
I agree those two items a) and b) are key unknowns by us ATM. LE know a) and there are similarities to the Co murder case and b) may be resolved by phone records as they have recently explained they are examining those.

I agree those two items a) and b) are key unknowns by us ATM. LE know a) and there are similarities to the Co murder case and b) may be resolved by phone records as they have recently explained they are examining those.

Naturally LE has more information than us. However, the poster was asking our opinion and I was answering the question with the limited information that I have available to me. I remain unconvinced that the similarities between the CO and IN crimes are striking. It could be something as simple as the fact that the deaths took place off trails in well-known nature areas. (And that DN had Indiana ties.) My guess is that we only know about DN because members of the public went to the media about calling him in. There are undoubtedly many more POIs that Indiana LE have interviewed, some of which may also be out of state, and they probably also share physical attributes that are similar to BG and may even have a criminal record that make them an appropriate fit. Those just haven't gone public. Until I see dots to connect, and with that I mean actual evidence (phone record, DNA evidence on or around the girls or murder weapon, a Delphi sighting on the day of) and not speculation, I can't draw a line between DN and the Delphi murders.

I realize this cold case is from 1987, but note age, looks, time of day, and railroad:

http://www.in.gov/isp/2928.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very interesting, and sad. There are definitely some similarities there, including physical characteristics between Linda and Abby. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that BG has a crime like this in his past. I tracked down some other articles about her death, though, and my initial opinion changed. Her mother apparently thought that it was the work of a serial killer but LE remains skeptical. From what I've read, it sounds like the detectives are leaning towards it being someone she knew. In this article, especially.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/cold-case-files-the-kidnapping-and-murder-of-10-year-old-linda-weldy

Of course, it could have still been someone she knew and that person went on to become BG. This crime does sound like it could be personal.

That is very interesting, and sad. There are definitely some similarities there, including physical characteristics between Linda and Abby. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that BG has a crime like this in his past. I tracked down some other articles about her death, though, and my initial opinion changed. Her mother apparently thought that it was the work of a serial killer but LE remains skeptical. From what I've read, it sounds like the detectives are leaning towards it being someone she knew. In this article, especially.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/cold-case-files-the-kidnapping-and-murder-of-10-year-old-linda-weldy

Of course, it could have still been someone she knew and that person went on to become BG. This crime does sound like it could be personal.
BG would have to be in his 50's to have done this too. So you think he killed before Delphi?

Naturally LE has more information than us. However, the poster was asking our opinion and I was answering the question with the limited information that I have available to me. I remain unconvinced that the similarities between the CO and IN crimes are striking. It could be something as simple as the fact that the deaths took place off trails in well-known nature areas. (And that DN had Indiana ties.) My guess is that we only know about DN because members of the public went to the media about calling him in. There are undoubtedly many more POIs that Indiana LE have interviewed, some of which may also be out of state, and they probably also share physical attributes that are similar to BG and may even have a criminal record that make them an appropriate fit. Those just haven't gone public. Until I see dots to connect, and with that I mean actual evidence (phone record, DNA evidence on or around the girls or murder weapon, a Delphi sighting on the day of) and not speculation, I can't draw a line between DN and the Delphi murders.
Could be. But I have seen articles that mention lots of similarities and being on/near a trail is just one. Some of the similarities we know (being near a ravine/canyon and difficult to find and access) and any others we have to guess. DN being an unregisted SO in both states, hiding his identity and connection is also possibly another similarity. We cannot ignore how In LE rushed to Co initially. Until LE exclude him as a POI, I am still hopeful this is close to being the day and will stay of this mind till resolution.
MOO based on certain known facts.

1. He fits the height and description.2. Uncanny resemblance to sketch3. Similar voice (Southern)4. Is the only named POI5. No apparent alibi for 13th Feb6. History of DV and sex offences against women and children.7. History of hatchet threatening and possession of a weapon by a felon.8. History of driving and drug offences.9. Anger issues (PTSD)10. Has not been excluded by LE11. Travels to commit offences12. Failed to register and absconded to another state, hiding his identity and failing to register in a new state.Hope thats enough. I can probably think of more.:cow:
I didn't see a resemblance to the sketch from the widely-distributed full-beard mugshot, but the resemblance is compelling in other photos.To your list I would add:13. He went missing the day after the sketch of BG was released.
http://www.wibc.com/blogs/hammer-and-nigel-show/updatedaniel-nations-went-missing-day-after-sketch
To argue against DN's involvement, LE (so far as we know) has not been able to place him in Delphi on February 13th, it's not clear how he would have gotten there, and DN's wife doesn't think the images of BG walking resemble DN. (You could argue that if DN had a hatchet or rape kit stuffed in his jacket, his posture while walking could have been affected.)http://fox59.com/2017/10/11/wife-of...ays-daniel-nations-watched-news-coverage/amp/I think DN is the best suspect, but if he is BG, LE still has a few more dots to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove