IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also thinking that it could be a creep that lives in the neighborhood that was watching a very easy target walking in the middle of the night. When bars close for the night, kids are out, voices carry, windows/screens are open for the summer, and it could have been a lurker loser that watched his prey stumble, barefoot, down the street. Could have even been an emboldened girl accepting the offer of a local person to continue to "party"..

Wish I had not seen his photo. Ick!!! I pray he never laid eyes on Lauren.

2 of his 3 known victims were from the Louisville area; all three victims were found in the area. And his 1992 robbery and sexual abuse crimes took place in Louisville.

2 of his 3 known victims were from the Louisville area; all three victims were found in the area. And his 1992 robbery and sexual abuse crimes took place in Louisville.

Agreed. This creep appeared to kill in the Louisville area. I think Lauren was hurt by someone who knew her, or should I say, wanted to know her but didn't have enough class. And, class is not the same thing as money. I mean class.

OK, I'm not looking at his photo! I hope it doesn't show up on my news feed ...

It's got to be a really long shot for him to be the one.

I still believe HT had nothing really to do with what happened and doesn't know anymore than she has already spouted off....<snipped>

No, I agree with you. The reason I posted that interview again was not that I find HT suspicious, more that I think she (unwittingly, maybe) was used to get a very specific story into the media -- the facts of which (the alcohol, the phone call, etc.) all served a purpose, which was to protect the 3 POI from any responsibility whatsoever. That's why I've always been skeptical about some of the details of their stories, like MB's claim that she said she "wanted to party"...

Oh god, me too. I think it's unlikely.

The poor spierers -- having to consider all of these terrible possibilities. My heart hurts for them :(

I hardly ever post, but here is a link to the news story on local tv. I live not very far from his house. I hope I did this right.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/18097901/does-william-gibson-know-where-lauren-spierer-is

You did it right. :) There is also a longer, 2-minute video on the front page of the same site. http://www.wdrb.com/ Warning: This video shows the creepy face; the video above does not.

I find it unsettling for obvious reasons but this news piece is sensationalism. All Blgtn PD did is make an inquiry and assign a dick. The video on the homepage is all about Lauren and has old footage of the Spierer's and Qualters from last summer.

One small silver lining in this possible Louisville connection is the impression it will make on IU students this week as they leave Bloomington for the summer or for good.

When you play the whole interview in context, it appears she is saying Lauren got herself kidnapped by being out too late. Of course she also heard the same rumors we have heard. http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/national/110608-search-for-missing-student

You're right. I think that's the first time I've actually heard that. It makes me think the "it went too far this time" quote was totally taken out of context.

I think she called JR looking for Lauren, he told her that story, and she took it at face value. It's that simple. I also think LS's friends (understandably) had no idea how to deal with the media and a friend being missing... they may have made a few mistakes, but to be fair, HT also spoke to the media about Lauren and said a lot of nice things.

If I imagine what I would have done in the same situation, it probably would have been the same thing. No one would think someone in their group of friends would be lying about a situation like this, let alone think they were responsible for someone going missing. I'm more confused about why people would continue to socialize with POI who refused to cooperate with the investigation of a friend... but even that I just find weird (vs. suspicious).

Since we're chatting about old stuff... Isn't it also weird, looking back, how Tony Gatto seemed to be onto this big reveal of secret witnesses, and then just dropped the whole story like a hot potato? Jacobite, didn't you mention hearing that the bartender story was a sham? How did you hear that? (If you're willing to share)

I was also thinking that it could be a creep that lives in the neighborhood that was watching a very easy target walking in the middle of the night. When bars close for the night, kids are out, voices carry, windows/screens are open for the summer, and it could have been a lurker loser that watched his prey stumble, barefoot, down the street. Could have even been an emboldened girl accepting the offer of a local person to continue to "party"..

Yeah, I still think it's a possibility too. I posted a few times about reading articles about violent robberies close to the same time that targeted female IU students walking home from bars late at night, including one case where a girl's jaw was broken. If the POI's weren't so shady, that might have been my first theory. It's just hard to believe that so many unrelated bad coincidences could have happened in one night, and that the reactions of the POI would have been like this if their stories were true.

MOO

Yeah, I still think it's a possibility too. I posted a few times about reading articles about violent robberies close to the same time that targeted female IU students walking home from bars late at night, including one case where a girl's jaw was broken. If the POI's weren't so shady, that might have been my first theory. It's just hard to believe that so many unrelated bad coincidences could have happened in one night, and that the reactions of the POI would have been like this if their stories were true.

MOO

The POIs do seem shady. IDK, it may be that there are "layers" of crimes here, i.e., somebody gets her drunk/high or slips her something, somebody gets taken down a notch at SW, somebody (or two) parties with her some more, and somebody else takes advantage of that. It could happen ...

I hate to think that LS had that much bad luck in one night. But you never know. I do think that one or more of the POIs has something to say ... wish they'd do so. I found the most recent article with the Spierers interesting in terms of JR ... that he met with them but seemed to have a script.

What if Gibson is the creep who got Lauren? What if her friends had cooperated and cleared their names? The investigation could have moved forward and this creep might have been caught with modern technology. The lives of 3 more women might have been saved.
Another reason to speak up when your friend goes missing is the public good and public safety.

Excellent point!
While I think it's possible LS was randomly taken... I also agree with your thinking (in other posts) because all night long she's in the company of others, so it would only have to be at the last minutes of her known movements that she was left alone, and then a random prep appears. Doesn't makes sense to me....

I am not sure what happened to LS. But the above quote really struck a nerve with me.
I used to live in a college town and would hear girls and boys coming home very late and obviously drunk. My window was near the sidewalk a few stories up and often I would hear "Oh, I am so drunk" or "Oh I am wasted" giggle giggle. Girls and boys would stumble into the gutter or even rest awhile by lying on the sidewalk. I was just annoyed, but someone- some sick creep could have used an opportunity like this to prey on women like LS.
Everything else with her "friends" could be just noise. A lot of dumb kids worried about getting in trouble for the stuff they did earlier in the night, confused because they had been wasted or drunk. Stories unclear because, well, witnesses are known to be prone to unknowingly change their stories after hearing others' accounts.
IDK. I just wish this could be solved- it is so sad and frustrating.

JVM talked about Gibson on her show last night.

Cops have a potential serial killer behind bars, accused of killing at least two women, possibly more. And now, investigators want to know if this man has anything to do with the disappearance of beautiful college student Lauren Spierer, who vanished nearly a year ago.

MIKE BROOKS, HLN LAW ENFORCEMENT ANALYST: Well, that is the question now. They don`t know. But the Bloomington police, they have assigned an investigate gear over to New Albany and say, hey what do we know about any evidence you may have and see if there is any similarities between the disappearance of Lauren and this guy, Mr. William Clyde Gibson. What he has been doing the last ten years? Has he ever been to Bloomington?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/04/ijvm.01.html

:please: :please: :please:

JVM talked about Gibson on her show last night.

Cops have a potential serial killer behind bars, accused of killing at least two women, possibly more. And now, investigators want to know if this man has anything to do with the disappearance of beautiful college student Lauren Spierer, who vanished nearly a year ago.

MIKE BROOKS, HLN LAW ENFORCEMENT ANALYST: Well, that is the question now. They don`t know. But the Bloomington police, they have assigned an investigate gear over to New Albany and say, hey what do we know about any evidence you may have and see if there is any similarities between the disappearance of Lauren and this guy, Mr. William Clyde Gibson. What he has been doing the last ten years? Has he ever been to Bloomington?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/04/ijvm.01.html

:please: :please: :please:

The case broke when Gibson was stopped for drunken driving. He was driving his victim's car. Dude doesn't sound too smart. If he got stopped in New Albany for drunk driving I doubt he could make the drive to Bloomington and back and pull off an abduction at 3-4 a.m. in the morning. I'm going to make a generalization and say people who get stopped for drunk driving would probably be drunk or passed out at that hour.

Being a resident in Kentucky, this Gibson guy scares me.. Thank God he's behind bars.. It's too bad that there are men like him still roaming the street. Sometimes I wonder if it's worse that LS was abducted and then killed, or if it's worse that pretty much all of her friends turned their back on her when she needed them..

This Gibson guy appears to have wanted to get caught and he may be proud of his deeds.
He may even be willing to take credit for this crime even if he did not do it. This international news story suggesting a connection with him to Lauren is a huge media gift for the POIs.
So, the police need to check his cellphone records and credit cards ASAP and see if he was ever in Bloomington.
Now,many people following this story are convinced that the Bloomington Police do not have a clue. We want this case solved soon! But, we also want the right guy and Lauren found.

Thank you very much! I am currently winding down after my only all-nighter of the semester and couldn't be happier with how my semester turned out so far. I took some time away from IU to refocus, and now I'm back and 227 days away from my graduation!

While I am so happy and officially finished with school until summer classes in late June, I'm sad to see this year come full circle. I have paid close attention to the case since the morning she went missing (as we have a mutual friend but never met), and I feel like Bloomington is starting to resent her and her family. It's heartbreaking to see the posters torn down and hear people expressing their frustration with the attention they have received over the past year. Maybe with the mass exodus of students coming up, the supporters who helped last year will resurface with a more positive attitude.

Well, I'm off to bed. Nothing to do until work at 8 pm and I've been up for almost 24 hours. Hope we can get some productive discussion going :)

First, I hope that everything at the end of your semester went well for you and that you got some well-deserved rest! :)

Second, I'm really sad to hear that people are reacting negatively to Lauren and her family. Yes, she has had a lot of attention, but IMO, wtf is wrong with that?! I know we have all heard about how a MP who looks like Lauren is more likely to get lots of public attention than one of another ethnicity, or who isn't rich, or who isn't pretty, or who is living on the margins of society. And normally I would be the first person to get on a soapbox about that. But IMO if it weren't for her parents' continued dedication people would've forgotten about her long ago, rich/white/pretty/successful or not! Yes her parents are in a sense lucky to be in a position where they can dedicate themselves to her case like this and not worry about where their next meal or rent payment is coming from, but who among us in their position wouldn't take advantage of that?! Why shouldn't they be proactive? Who is it hurting?! :banghead:

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying I felt sad that this was the case. I think they should do whatever they can to help bring LS home!!

And my semester went swimmingly- 2 As and 2 Bs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members