GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Silver Alert: Alert Criteria
Indiana Silver Alert Plan Criteria

1. The person must be a Missing Endangered Adult, Missing Endangered Child, High Risk Missing Person or have a mental impairment validated through a credible medical authority (Physician, Physician’s Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner):
    1. Missing Endangered Adult, I.C. 12-7-2-131.3; or
    2. Missing Endangered Child, I.C. 10-13-5-4.4; or
    3. High Risk Missing Person, I.C. 5-2-17-1
  2. There must be enough descriptive information to believe the broadcast will help.
  3. A request must be recommended by the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction.
  4. Enter the missing endangered adult, and vehicle information (if applicable), into the Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS) / National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database.
Thanks. I just added to/tried to clarify my post- I’m confused as to why her medical issue is not mentioned. In previous cases I’ve seen, usually the issue is mentioned.

Missing Endangered Child (Indiana Code 10-13-5-4.4):
is a missing child who is believed to be incapable of returning to the missing child’s residence without assistance because of:

1. Mental illness;
  2. Intellectual disability; or
  3. Another physical or mental disability

MOO I live in Indianapolis and there are a lot of Silver Alerts. It used to seem like it was for dementia patients and then it started being for autistic kids and the like but now it seems like they use it for anyone that's missing. It used to be a lot less frequent than it is now. This is just my observation and I could be wrong but it sure seems like they slap it on a lot of cases.

I was about to post and thought I might as well look it up first and yeah, it does say especially for senior citizens. It has evolved over time for sure.

Silver Alert - Wikipedia

Thanks. I just added to/tried to clarify my post- I’m confused as to why her medical issue is not mentioned. In previous cases I’ve seen, usually the issue is mentioned.

Now I will say this, and this is NOT to say she does NOT have a medical issue, but if a medical issue is mentioned, it helps speed up and validate the silver or endangered alert. Gives it more of a priority and urgency so to speak as far as alerts and classifications go, especially considering this doesn’t qualify for an AA.

I do wonder what this issue is and why it has not been stated.

Last edited:
MOO I live in Indianapolis and there are a lot of Silver Alerts. It used to seem like it was for dementia patients and then it started being for autistic kids and the like but now it seems like they use it for anyone that's missing. It used to be a lot less frequent than it is now. This is just my observation and I could be wrong but it sure seems like they slap it on a lot of cases.

I was about to post and thought I might as well look it up first and yeah, it does say especially for senior citizens. It has evolved over time for sure.

Silver Alert - Wikipedia

Yeah, I see there seems to have been quite a few recently. Most of them had happy endings.

Perhaps it’s used when an Amber Alert doesn’t apply, but they still need to get the word out.

After all of the volunteers have walked all over, I think K-9's would have trouble picking up and following her scent.
I wonder what occurred in the house just before she left that made her feel that was her only course of action.
In a lot of cases I've followed they purposely do not allow volunteers to search in the beginning because the multiple scents will confuse the dogs. The fact that they did in this case causes me to question what LE knows and we don't.

“We haven’t learned a whole lot more than we’ve known from the get go, and that’s the scary part,” said Sgt. Micah Burdette with Gas City police.

Skylea’s dad is holding onto hope that she’s alright.

“We haven’t been able to find any tracks, none of her belongings laid around anywhere, so right now we’re just really in a panic because we can’t find anything,” Kevin Carmack said.

All out search in Gas City; volunteers try to flush out leads about missing 10-yr. old girl

In this case wouldn’t the Silver Alert be used bc of a mental health or medical issue of some kind? Because that is my understanding of a Silver Alert in the case of a child. (But I may not fully understand the Silver Alert criteria.)

ETA: Reason I ask is because it seems someone- LE or parents- would mention what might be the medical issue. Ie “she needs her insulin”, etc. or that she’s Autistic (which she apparently is not). Just seems strange to me that a Silver Alert is specially issued but no info given as to what might be the medical problem.

Not trying to unwillingly label a poor lost lamb, but maybe it's possible that Skylea is autistic, and her mother is in denial about it.

I mean... it's happened, and in plenty of cases where no foul play wound up applying. Parents want to think their children are perfect.

I’m ashamed to say that even after many years on WS I still don’t fully understand the Facebook rules, but I did just get some clarity to my question around what the potential medical issue is related to Skykea and the Silver Alert.

Hope I post this according to TOS, but I just read on a relative’s Facebook post that she had a brain tumor at one point. According to this relative.

You can find this info directly from a MSM Facebook post, so I think it’s ok to post this. WMTV Facebook, most recent video- info accessible through the comments.

It sounds to me like the public won't be involved in the searches now JMO. From GCPD facebook. Gas City Police Department

We would like to sincerely thank each and every person who volunteered to help pass out fliers. The Gas City Police Department, Indiana State Police, Grant County Sheriff's Office as well as Officers from other agencies will be conducting specialized searches. We will let the public know if there is anything else you can do to help. Thank you again.
It sounds like their focus has shifted.

Father of missing 10-year-old from Gas City speaks out

Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack, said he’s grateful for the support of the community.

“It’s been amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better turnout,” said Kevin.

He said he was at work and Skylea was home with her stepmom when she went missing Saturday. He believes his daughter ran away because she was grounded and upset about it.

“And it just went a little too far and she got stuck and now she’s just scared to come home cause she’s afraid now she is going to be in even more trouble,” said Kevin.

If that’s the case, he wants her to know she won’t be.

“We’re not even mad at this point we are just worried about her being OK just want her to come home,” said Kevin.

How far could she have walked? If she ran away because she was ground, she would be back home by now. Or at least at a friend's house. This doesn't sound like a 10-year-old kid running away from home type of situation.
It's possible she went to a 'friends' house, like an older neighbour?----and that person wasn't really a good person?

“And it just went a little too far and she got stuck and now she’s just scared to come home cause she’s afraid now she is going to be in even more trouble,” said Kevin.

This is the best case scenario, but where could Skylea be staying and with whom if this is indeed the case? It's been over 48 hours already.

This is the best case scenario, but where could Skylea be staying and with whom if this is indeed the case? It's been over 48 hours already.

Exactly. If she did flee to someone’s house, this person has to know that everyone is looking for her.

No way would they keep quiet at this point.

Fleeing into the woods doesn’t appear to be the pattern when she does run away, as her father told reporters.

Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack, said he’s grateful for the support of the community.

“It’s been amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better turnout,” said Kevin.

He said he was at work and Skylea was home with her stepmom when she went missing Saturday. He believes his daughter ran away because she was grounded and upset about it.

If that’s the case, he wants her to know she won’t be.

“We’re not even mad at this point we are just worried about her being OK just want her to come home,” said Kevin.

If all of this is true then why didn't he call her mom to see if she saw her or talked to her? Wouldn't that be one of the first things you would do?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back