LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cajun net just refers to everyone in Cajun country talking to each other. I tell Tante Sue Sue who talks to Cousin Pearl, who talke to Nonc Bebe, etc. Implying that our network of friends and relatives talking moves at the speed of the internet. I always say that in our town if you sneeze on the east side, they're saying God Bless you on the west side gossip moves so quickly.

Ahh, thanks for the reply. This is so true!

Does anyone Remember the girl who came forward and said there was a male driving around looking for pretty girls for sex? The mothers name was joy I think can't remember the girls name. And I cannot remember if this report turned out to be false. However if it wasn't false has the girl identified the guy driving around as bsl?
Her name was Tasha Patterson. She described the man as:
In Patterson's incident, she described the man as white, heavyset, and in his 50's or 60's.
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Q:

So, if the kidnapping charge constitutes the murder charge, they must have definitive evidence of the kidnapping, right? I am guessing it IS on film, or at least there is film of her bike in his truck.

Thoughts?

That whole bike part has to be the messiest part of this! I just can not see it as part of an abduction. I do believe they have video that either places his plate# or her being abducted we are not privy to.

Really the only way I can see the bike getting a ride is a Ted Bundy kinda charming her and offering a ride and putting the bike in BUT no I do not see him fitting into a charming Ted B.

Just a few questions do we know for sure when the truck was burnt was it the 21/31? And can you please provide a link and also when did he return from work I know it was this week but does anyone know? I read usually on a Wednesday but is there a report stating the facts?

That whole bike part has to be the messiest part of this! I just can not see it as part of an abduction. I do believe they have video that either places his plate# or her being abducted we are not privy to.

Really the only way I can see the bike getting a ride is a Ted Bundy kinda charming her and offering a ride and putting the bike in BUT no I do not see him fitting into a charming Ted B.
My personal opinion is that the video obtained from the Daily Advertiser building on Bertrand has something on it that led to the charges.

I knew your cousin. That was a very sad time. I'm sorry for your family's loss.

My first cousin was one of his best friends, initials KH.

Sha! I bet your cousin was one of the ones who spoke at his eulogy. It was sad. Our grandparents were brother and sister. I was closer to him being the same age and growing up together. Then, we were both Psych majors at ULL. I think because of all the things LE had to deal with after Katrina, his case grew cold in record time. His friends, your cousin I bet, helped to create awareness at Jazz Fest and stuff, but I don't think they ever caught him. Sha Toby!

Would you have seen Ted Bundy as charming? I wouldn't.

My theory is that he bumped the bike and either grabbed her and the bike then or offered her a ride and put the bike in his truck. He then attacked and murdered her somewhere in the area. He dumped the bike at Whiskey Bay. A day or so later, he realized he couldn't be sure he got all forensic evidence out of his truck so he decided to do what he did with that.

Just a few questions do we know for sure when the truck was burnt was it the 21/31? And can you please provide a link and also when did he return from work I know it was this week but does anyone know? I read usually on a Wednesday but is there a report stating the facts?
The audio of the press conference said the 21st. You can watch the press conference here: http://www.klfy.com/global/video/fl...News - Hard News&activePane=info&rnd=21903401

The press release from LPD says the 31st. You can view that here: http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4380

My personal opinion is that it was misspoken at the press conference because of this:
The vehicle in question was registered to Brandon Lavergne. Further investigation revealed that the truck was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas and later located in San Jacinto County, Texas on May 31st. The truck had been burned just days after police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest.
So, IMO, since the police hadn't released photos of the vehicles until May 25th/26th, that the truck had to be burned on the 31st, not the 21st.

ETA: I have no idea about your last question about returning from work.

Sha! I bet your cousin was one of the ones who spoke at his eulogy. It was sad. Our grandparents were brother and sister. I was closer to him being the same age and growing up together. Then, we were both Psych majors at ULL. I think because of all the things LE had to deal with after Katrina, his case grew cold in record time. His friends, your cousin I bet, helped to create awareness at Jazz Fest and stuff, but I don't think they ever caught him. Sha Toby!
He was really an awesome guy. I went to high school with him but I was younger than Toby and Kane. But I got to know him because he was always at my aunt and uncle's house. They loved him like a son. My aunt still talks about him to this day.

The audio of the press conference said the 21st. You can watch the press conference here: http://www.klfy.com/global/video/fl...News - Hard News&activePane=info&rnd=21903401

The press release from LPD says the 31st. You can view that here: http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4380

My personal opinion is that it was misspoken at the press conference because of this: The police hadn't released photos of the vehicles until May 25th/26th, meaning that the truck had to be burned on the 31st, not the 21st.

I wonder if he reported it stolen on the 21st, but it wasn't found until the 31st? It'd be nice to know where exactly it was found. Quite a bit of San Jacinto County is in the Sam Houston National Forest.

Q&A Session from Thursday's presser:

I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.

Q: When you were searching his home, what was some of the key evidence that was found there? Anything of importance that you can share with us that was found at his home?
A: As I speak we have been at that home since yesterday and we are still processing that scene so we can’t disclose or divulge any evidence that we may or may not have recovered.

Q: What evidence led to the first degree murder charge?
A: (pauses as if to consider how to answer) Um, based on the information developed by our investigators, uh, and the fact that she was kidnapped – an aggravated kidnapping constitutes a charge of first degree murder.

Q: Is there any evidence that there was any sort of struggle?
A: Uh, we can’t go into that at this point.

Q: Was any of Mickey’s DNA found inside his home?
A: We can’t go into that at this point.

Q: How much information (inaudible) bike?
A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …

Q: Did anything come back from the lab reports?
A: We have no lab reports back as of this time.

Q: Chief Craft, was there a second person arrested – a female arrested in this – (inaudible) yesterday?
A: No, the only person arrested in this case has been Brandon Scott Lavergne.

Q: Was Lavergne questioned by the department immediately and then information gathered from his GPS?
A: Uh Lavergne was questioned by the department here after he was picked up by state police at I-10 and I-49.

Q: When was that?
A: Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30.

Q: Is there any relation between Lavergne and Mickey Shunick?
A: Not that we are aware of.

Q: Any possibility that any other arrests could come about from this? I know a private investigator identified two descriptions of two separate suspects.
A: We don’t think so at this point.

Q: What (inaudible) believe she’s dead?
A: Just the evidence and information we have in the case that again, I cannot go into.

Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

Q: How were you able (inaudible) in Texas and put the two together?
A: Through investigation by our detectives and LA State Police we were able to determine that he had purchased another vehicle and so we located the first one over there.

Q: What was that unrelated warrant he was arrested on?
A: It has to do with sex offender registration.

Q: What brought him to the Lafayette area the night of her disappearance. Any information as to what he was doing there?
A: We have no information on that based on the fact that he has refused to talk to us or cooperate with us.

Q: Was his license destroyed, blocking out some information about him being a registered sex offender?
A: Yes.

Q: On May 28th, it says that he was in good standing on his sex offender website. How is that possible, uh, what does that have to do to go through that?
A: Well I don’t think that the people who run the registry would necessarily know that he had altered his driver’s license to hide that information. Uh, if he was making his contacts and making his visits, they may
be ruled in good standing.

Q: Where was he arrested?
A: He was arrested here at the Lafayette Police Department. He was stopped by LA State Police at I-10 and I-49 for a traffic violation.

Q: Do you think that he targeted her or this is a crime of coincidence?
A: I think that based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area – you can see it on the video – maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize.

Q: Chief Craft, since he purchased a new vehicle – what was he driving, what was his mode of transportation when he was apprehended?
A: I think it’s a Z71, white pickup truck, just like the one he had.

Q: Chief, how long can you hold him and what’s next?
A: Well, right now he’s charged with aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder. So there’s no bond on the first degree murder. The district attorney has reviewed our affidavit and our warrant and they are in agreement with us that we had probable cause to arrest him and so there’s no bond on a first degree murder warrant so he’s going to be held in a correctional center.

Q: Chief if a body isn’t found do you expect any problem with that as far as prosecution or anything?
A: I couldn’t comment on that. I think that’s a question for the district attorney to answer.

Q: Has anybody else been questioned regarding (inaudible)?
A: Oh, hundreds of people have been questioned regarding this case.

Q: Since the arrest has been made?
A: Yes.

Q: Any females or girlfriends?
A: We’ve questioned a lot of people but I don’t want to go into who we’ve questioned or who we’ve talked to just primarily because our investigation is still ongoing and that may hinder our investigation to disclose that information at this time.

Q: Any clues on where the body may be?
A: (pauses) No.

Q: Chief, any better indication (inaudible) where or around she was taken?
A: Based on what we know in the video we would have to say between St. Landry and St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Somewhere between there.

Q: And is there any indication on exactly how they got her, the bike, everything into the vehicle?
A: No.

Q: Chief, with Mr. Lavergne, was there a bite mark on his hand possibly from Mickey Shunick?
A: Can’t comment on that.
Q: (inaudible)
A: Can’t comment on that.

Q: Can you comment on his prior record?

Q: Was there anyone else at the house when you went to investigate?

Q: Was there anyone else in that vehicle when he was apprehended?

Q: Was he an offshore worker?
A: Yes, he is an offshore worker.

Q: Do you know if he was offshore (inaudible) most of the investigation?
A: Well, we know that he’s been offshore for about the last two weeks.

Q: Do you all use FBI profiler in this investigation?
A: We did consult with the behavioral science unit with the FBI Academy at Quantico but the FBI’s made numerous resources available to us throughout this investigation.

Q: What (inaudible) motive for this crime?
A: He’s a sex offender.

Q: (something about truck on fire)
A: That’s part of the arson investigation that’s taking place in Texas at this time.

Q: Do you know how he got back to Louisiana after he set his truck on fire?
A: We’re not releasing that right now.

Q: Do you have reason to believe that Mickey Shunick was sexually assaulted in this crime?
A: We don’t know that yet.

Thank you Megsy! When I interpret things the pauses, maybe's and we thinks mean a lot.

And this is why I think he's not so smart. Everyone and their mama in & around Lafayette seems to be driving a white 4 door Z71, even plenty with silver/chrome gas caps. I saw so many of them between when the VOI pics were released & yesterday.
I think he drew more attention to himself by burning the truck than had he just kept on driving it. If he burned it on the 21st though rather than the 31st (I am still confused as to what is the correct date)- it had to have a ton of evidence in it & he was trying to get rid of it before he even knew they had these
VOI pics. BSL seems to quite possibly love him some arson (or at least there seem to be plenty of fires that happen around him throughout his life) & probably loved setting that truck on fire.

Had they not been able to positively ID the VOI as his truck (I assume from other videos in the area of him trolling for a victim in which they could read the lic plate), he conceivably could have just kept driving that truck and it would have been a needle in a haystack, RSO or not. I'm not sure him having a similar truck (before a positive ID was made) combined with him being a RSO is enough to get a search warrant for his truck. He thinks he's so smart at covering his tracks but it actually made him more obvious. Similarly, stashing that bike at/in/under his home would have been smarter than putting it at WB, a known spot for nefarious activities. The cops would have needed a search warrant to look on his property as well. (Of course, all of this is moot since they did positively ID the VOI as his truck, but had they not been able to do so, his actions pretty much equated to him screaming at LE "it's me! I'm doing suspicious stuff!")

BTW- anyone else shocked they STILL don't have the lab results back on the bike according to the police chief at the presser yesterday?

I suspect that Mickey put up quite a fight in that DWT and did some damage to the interior. As much as I hate to say it, there was probably a lot of her DNA evidence inside as well. I think that BSL was responsible for the fire and theft at the Carpentry(?) shop because he wanted the pressure washers to clean up the evidence in his truck and maybe elsewhere, but there was just too much and he decided to torch the truck instead.

I wonder if he reported it stolen on the 21st, but it wasn't found until the 31st? It'd be nice to know where exactly it was found. Quite a bit of San Jacinto County is in the Sam Houston National Forest.
The chief was basically reading the press release. If you follow along with the video, you'll see what I'm talking about. I honestly think he misspoke because there have been no reports whatsoever of when BSL reported the truck stolen.

ETA: NEVERMIND!! Nutkin found it!! http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47925

The same day the bicycle was found [May 26th], the white Chevrolet Z-71pickup now believed to have been used in the crime, was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas by the truck’s owner, a 33-year-old registered sex offender named Brandon Scott Lavergne, of Lawtell, Louisiana. At the time, Texas authorities had no reason to suspect anything sinister. On May 31, the truck was found burned in San Jacinto County.
Truck reported stolen on May 26th. Found burned on May 31st.

NUTKIN ROCKS!!

Also, if we knew what city he reported it stolen from in Montgomery County, it may be possible to view the police report online. Quite a few cities in Texas have this available now.

Just recently found out that one of the court appointed defense attorneys for BSL is one of my good friend's dad. And the other one is a friend of our family. My friend is in such a hard place right now. She's been following the case all along and is now terribly torn. I guess being a defense attorney is the price you have to pay in the event that something like this comes about... My friend's dad is one of the nicest men you would ever meet. Very down to earth and far from being an arrogant jerk like some attorneys can be. I pray for their families who are likely to be harassed when in all actuality will have nothing to do with the case at all.

My father was a defense attorney, so I know how she probably feels. lol

My dad was a man of great integrity. The way he explained his role, was that of defending the Justice System in this great country. The Accused NEED defense attorneys to keep our fair system in working order. No matter how heinous a crime, somebody needs to take on the role of defending them, in order for justice to prevail. And I cannot tell you how many times he ended up helping defendants who were not guilty. That is truly frightening. But of course sometimes the guilty parties were freed, but not very often, imo.

The worst part, imo, was the number of plea bargains that were agreed to. :furious:

Just recently found out that one of the court appointed defense attorneys for BSL is one of my good friend's dad. And the other one is a friend of our family. My friend is in such a hard place right now. She's been following the case all along and is now terribly torn. I guess being a defense attorney is the price you have to pay in the event that something like this comes about... My friend's dad is one of the nicest men you would ever meet. Very down to earth and far from being an arrogant jerk like some attorneys can be. I pray for their families who are likely to be harassed when in all actuality will have nothing to do with the case at all.
He still deserves a fair trial. We all do, no matter what the crime. I totally get how your friend is feeling; I would be feeling that way too. I was worried that some of my family members would be appointed (quite a few attorneys in our lot) as well.

I suspect that Mickey put up quite a fight in that DWT and did some damage to the interior. As much as I hate to say it, there was probably a lot of her DNA evidence inside as well. I think that BSL was responsible for the fire and theft at the Carpentry(?) shop because he wanted the pressure washers to clean up the evidence in his truck and maybe elsewhere, but there was just too much and he decided to torch the truck instead.

I think he may have been responsible too. Remember the truck there had interior door panels stolen. We speculated that maybe Mickey had messed up the panels on the perps truck and that he had taken those to repair them.
My thinking is that he thought he was ok until he saw pictures of his truck released.

My personal opinion is that the video obtained from the Daily Advertiser building on Bertrand has something on it that led to the charges.

Gotta wonder why it took so long eh?

Hey if any of you want to take a crack at making sure I got the text right for the Q&A or clearing up some of the inaudible parts, please feel free! My ears hurt by the end of it LOL

I agree. My daughter has a friend who has a really creepy dad. I kept telling her I did not want her spending the night there or playing there. Of course, she's eleven and could not understand.

This morning we woke up, and cop cars were all over in front of her home. They had put up crime scene tape. He shot his wife last night.

with the kids in the house.

Omg that's horrible! Those poor poor kids. ALWAYS trust your instincts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee