Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
omg....how terrible for this family.....heartbreaking tragedy....

Has anyone looked up what the temperatures were in Tulum that day, evening, night?

I realize this family is from Iowa and probably wouldn't be quick to turn on the furnace or a space heater if temperatures were only mildly cool, but sometimes coastal areas get cold at night. Is it possible they had a space heater running or some type of gas-powered heat source?

Yes. Those are the ones that were being built when I was there. Do we know for sure that is where they stayed? I mean that area, not that condo... has there been any pics of the trip on their Facebook page? I would recognize the complex.

Yes. Those are the ones that were being built when I was there. Do we know for sure that is where they stayed? I mean that area, not that condo... has there been any pics of the trip on their Facebook page? I would recognize the complex.

No pics were posted. There is one of an ocean but it was posted Mar. 12

Rented from the hotel. At the time there were timeshares being built but they were on the same property as the grand Bahia. It was a huge complex with three separate areas all with different names.

I asked just because renting through the hotel would mean maid service whereas VRBO generally doesn't. If a maid service was supposed to be in there daily that makes this 1000 times more suspicious.

Has anyone looked up what the temperatures were in Tulum that day, evening, night?

I realize this family is from Iowa and probably wouldn't be quick to turn on the furnace or a space heater if temperatures were only mildly cool, but sometimes coastal areas get cold at night. Is it possible they had a space heater running or some type of gas-powered heat source?

A space heater would likely be electric and not produce CO. And I would believe need to be very cold to warrant localized heating. A faulty furnace maybe
Temperatures according to google are 80 in the day and low 69 at night. Doubt that would warrant a furnace for a long time (all day) just an extra blanket.

I said on the other thread, there is no way I would go anywhere there, yep no way.

I'm located in central Iowa. Our warmest temps since October have been while they would have been gone (that was or spring break week). We hit 60ish for two days. Nights were still below 30. They would likely have not turned on a heater. Our average temps right now are low 30s and colder at night. And we had almost a full month this winter that we barely inched above 0. (All temps in F) 80/69 is downright balmy to someone from here right now.

But any type of gas appliance could have been a source of a gas leak I would think- water heater? Stove?. Or a generator.

Tulum is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. It's a popular destination for people of the LDS faith, as there are some who believe the Book of Mormon events took place in the Yucatan.
I didn't set foot outside the resort, ruins, airport, and chartered vehicles, though.

ETA I actually stayed in playa del Carmen, not that it matters.

I just saw they're deceased. How awful!

Is it known if any of their belongings were taken?

I have been held in Cancun by a taxi driver that was “stopped” by the police. We had to pay cash on the spot to not go to jail for being in a speeding taxi. We were totally set up by the cabbie and the police. We paid well over a $300 to have them let us go. It was 6 ladies on our 40th birthday trip. I wouldn’t trust the Mexican authorities to do the autopsy!! No way!

A space heater would likely be electric and not produce CO. And I would believe need to be very cold to warrant localized heating. A faulty furnace maybe
Temperatures according to google are 80 in the day and low 69 at night. Doubt that would warrant a furnace for a long time (all day) just an extra blanket.

I agree, furnace doesn't seem likely. Faulty gas range, or faulty gas water heater seems more likely?

If it was CO, the family would likely have started feeling symptoms. Maybe not equate with CO, because we are so used to detectors everywhere to warn us of that. Headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting...a family could very well think this is a bug they all caught during travel, or from 'Mexican water'. If they all went to bed, or laid down for naps, it's conceivable they were all rendered unconscious and then died without waking again.

And frankly, that's pretty terrifying to consider. I wouldn't think twice about renting a condo like the one I posted above for my own family. And I'm a former EMT, daughter of an ER nurse and a paramedic, married to a firefighter/paramedic, so my family is pretty 'up' on CO!

Tulum is beautiful for sure. We were there about 15 years ago. It was Feb. incredibly hot and humid. Not on our destination list anymore.

Actually, fuel-burning space heaters are among the most common sources of CO2 poisoning. But, if that's what this is, my guess would be a generator. (Not least of all because I totally agree that it's unlikely weather for a space heater.) Maybe there was a power outage and the generator automatically kicked on (or the family turned it on) and it hadn't been used recently (or at all, if these condos were as new as this thread suggests), so no one knew there was a problem.

The kids being up with the parents in bed is a bit odd in the sense that kids usually succumb to CO2 poisoning more quickly than adults, but maybe the kids were sleeping on the floor where they were found or maybe the source of the CO2 was in the parents' room and so affected them more quickly.

I have been held in Cancun by a taxi driver that was “stopped” by the police. We had to pay cash on the spot to not go to jail for being in a speeding taxi. We were totally set up by the cabbie and the police. We paid well over a $300 to have them let us go. It was 6 ladies on our 40th birthday trip. I wouldn’t trust the Mexican authorities to do the autopsy!! No way!

I wouldn't either. My aunt owns a place in Ensenada and for years encouraged any of us in the family to use it for free for vacations and there is no way I would go. Mexican authorities are notorious for being corrupt. What happened to you I have heard happening many times over. My parents use to vacation at Rosarito Beach and never had a problem, but my Dad and his cousin who went with them spoke fluent Spanish and pretty much were left alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back