GUILTY MI - Tara Grant, 34, slain, dismembered, Washington Twp, 9 Feb 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fox 2 just reported that he is in custody....went to the booking site and there was nothing there. However it was just reported that there was a medical emergency and he was transported out of the area. He was found in wilderness park in Emmett County. Press conference is coming at some point.

Well, the sheriff said nothing more than Grant had been captured and would be brought to the Macomb County Jail to answer the charge of murder of Tara Grant. He would not say if Grant surrendered peacefully...he said did not know what the medical condition was. My thoughts: attempted suicide, perhaps, or maybe he attempted suicide by cop? But then again, he may have just been suffering from exposure.

Fox 2 Simulcast will keep updating as news comes in.

richandfamous said:
the simulcast said Grant was taken to the hospital this morning.

Yep, I just read that he was airlifted, but conscious. Soooo glad they caught this SOB.

Sassygerl said:
Yep, I just read that he was airlifted, but conscious. Soooo glad they caught this SOB.
Me too!
just a side thought here: if I ever do something bad, I'm going to open my eyes real wide everytime the media shoots my picture so I can say that I am nuts. I have seen other pics of him and he looks perfectly normal. jmo

I have read this whole thread and clicked on every link (I think), I still have yet to see a pic of the guy. Is there one here? Does anyone know?

TIA

RIP Tara

The attorney of record has resigned as Grant's attorney per a recent broadcast from the above link. He said it's because of certain things that have transpired between he and the defendant during the past week.

IMHO, it's because he confessed and the attorney can not effectively defend him if he KNOWS he's guilty.

Too bad Grant didn't commit suicide, could have saved us a bunch of $$ and time. Sorry, but you find his wife's torso in his garage, the guy is guilty as heck.

Guess he has the guts to kill a defenseless woman, but not enough nerve to do himself in.

JMHO
fran

Sassygerl said:
Sounds like he was hospitalized for exposure. The Sheriff said they thought he was actually jogging for 2+ hours trying to get away from police. Also, that he tried to seek shelter by hiding from them as well. So if he was outside for many hours--tired from walking/jogging and then wet from trudging in the snow--he probably is suffering from exposure, frostbite, etc. There's quite a bit of snow in that area and the temp was probably 20 degrees or less last night. Didn't sound like they actually found any weapons on him or that he actually tried to attempt suicide.

Just curious if anyone heard anything about the dog? One article mentioned he was seen walking his dog. I'm more concerned about the dog, can't you tell?

kahskye said:
Just curious if anyone heard anything about the dog? One article mentioned he was seen walking his dog. I'm more concerned about the dog, can't you tell?
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Maybe he left the dog with the friend he borrowed the truck from.

From taralynngrant.com

"Stephen Grant was arrested and taken into custody by Michigan State Police about 6:30 AM. The arrest followed an all-night search in Wilderness State Park, in Emmet county in northern lower Michigan. Reports from local news media indicate that Grant was conscious at the time of the arrest and was taken to Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey, MI to be checked out. It is believed he is being treated for exposure after being out in the cold all night.

Grant will be in the hospital for at least a day or two, after which he will be transferred back to Macomb County for arraignment. It's also possible that he may be arraigned in the hospital. Macomb deputies will be guarding Grant while he remains admitted to the hospital. A media briefing is expected at 11:00 AM.

Attorney David Griem has resigned as Stephen Grant's attorney, citing "irreconcilable differences." He could not elaborate on what those may have been, but vowed to assist a new attorney. "

Maybe sherriff's statement of investigating those that may have helped him or hindered parts of the investigation has spooked him? Maybe he's one of those attorney's that only take the guranteed " win" cases? Who knows..he talks alot though lol.

Will their children be staying w/ Stephen's sister for the time being? And as the above poster mentioned where did the dog go? Did he give it to the neighbor in exchange for the truck?

Kadie said:
Sounds like he was hospitalized for exposure. The Sheriff said they thought he was actually jogging for 2+ hours trying to get away from police. Also, that he tried to seek shelter by hiding from them as well. So if he was outside for many hours--tired from walking/jogging and then wet from trudging in the snow--he probably is suffering from exposure, frostbite, etc. There's quite a bit of snow in that area and the temp was probably 20 degrees or less last night. Didn't sound like they actually found any weapons on him or that he actually tried to attempt suicide.

In his statement to the press, his 'former' attorney said he'd hoped he could have done more to talk him out of killing himself, and now he thinks he must have said the right thing because he was found alive. (not exact words)

I don't think that's it at all. He wasn't planning on killing himself, IMO. He was just trying to figure out how he was going to get away from the law as he knew he'd be found out once LE was going through his home.

I understand from something I read or heard, that there was no visible indications on her torso as to cause of death. IMHO, he probably strangled her. I think it's premeditated too and NOT a 'crime of passion or the heat of the moment.' His emails just weeks before Tara disappeared points to setting up of this crime, IMHO. I'm sure the jury is going to see that too.

Is there a DP in his state? Doesn't really matter, I'm sure he'll get life, at least I hope so. It's not just the killing of his wife and mother of his children that's disturbing about this case. It's what he did afterwards that makes this so heinous.

JMHO
fran

PS...Kadie, I know you feel more connected to this case than many of us because of your husband's co-worker knowing Tara. I hope you're ok and along with my condolances to Tara's family, to your husband's co-worker as well........fran

PPS...Small comfort, but at least Tara will get justice.

Fran,

We don't have the death penalty here...although I have heard of an insider's death penalty once they get behind the bars ....But No "Dept of Corrections" guided Death penalty.

JinxieJada said:
Fran,

We don't have the death penalty here...although I have heard of an insider's death penalty once they get behind the bars ....But No "Dept of Corrections" guided Death penalty.

Now that's a new term on me. :cool:

Seriously, this is a Murder 1 case if I ever saw one. I hope he gets the maximum, whatever it is.

I can't believe how he's trashed his wife in the press just before LE found a 'portion' of his wife's body in his garage! What a piece of work!

JMHO
fran

I joined WS during the search for Laci Peterson. Although we KNEW SP did it, it's hard to explain the feeling that I had the day it was announced Laci and Conner had washed ashore. The reality of the crime, I guess, and the condition of the bodies.

That's the same way I feel about this case. I KNEW he did it, but the 'condition' of her body and how they're finding parts scattered around the countryside, it makes it much harder to fathom how a husband could do such a thing to his own wife. The ONE person he was SUPPOSED to love, honor, and cherish.

What a tragedy for everyone involved. Like Sharon Rocha said, there's always "DIVORCE."

JMHO
fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HNDere