MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
keep hope alive, it is possible DR or DR and friend saw the boys going to the store, got the stuff ready, went into the weeds and waited for them to return. that would be plenty of time to prepare and do it. I just keep thinking about Jacob's footprints disappearing like he was getting into a vehicle. I wish police indicated if they had footprints of the suspect or suspects.

keep hope alive, it is possible DR or DR and friend saw the boys going to the store, got the stuff ready, went into the weeds and waited for them to return. that would be plenty of time to prepare and do it. I just keep thinking about Jacob's footprints disappearing like he was getting into a vehicle. I wish police indicated if they had footprints of the suspect or suspects.

Yes, it is possible. However, the boys were not walking, they were on bikes and a scooter. I don't think it would take long for them to pass the property on the way to the store. I would think by the time DR saw them (and realized who it was or what was happening at the end of his property) and got to the end of the driveway, the boys would have already gone by and they would not have heard or noticed anyone in the grass. That is what I meant by the timing not working for me. However, I've never been to the area so I can't judge the distance and how long it might take someone to run down the driveway or pass the property on bikes or a scooter, other than by the maps.

The footprints are still the best clue/piece of evidence, in my opinion. And I agree, it would be nice to know if they were able to find any other prints next to Jacob's.

Put yourself in DRs house at the time of the abduction. What would you have done? Would you just go back to your house, do a quick search of the outbuildings and go to sleep? Is it logical to go under the police tape and enter the crime scene? Is it normal to just go about business as usual? I am genuinely curious. What would every one of you on this forum have done in this same situation?

I would have insisted the police check my outbuildings, the woods and all around the home. It is a big property, there could be clues. I would definitely have gone over to the family's home, if not that night then the next day. If there were ever a day to call out, that would be one of them. I would have continued to be there for the Wetterlings, handing out flyers and doing whatever I could. Yes, I know we are all different in this respect. But to offer absolutely NOTHING in response to a neighbor's child being abducted in your driveway? What would you guys do? Honestly?

But that's just it. That's what you (generally speaking) believe you would have done. We can all say that, but we really don't know until we're in that situation. All I'm saying is that a person's behavior is not proof of guilt, even if the behavior seems odd, cold, or even inappropriate.

But that's just it. That's what you (generally speaking) believe you would have done. We can all say that, but we really don't know until we're in that situation. All I'm saying is that a person's behavior is not proof of guilt, even if the behavior seems odd, cold, or even inappropriate.

Well put. The lack of contact from DR in and of itself means nothing. Many people would have reached out to the family, but not all.

At best, DR's keeping a distance is consistent with an odd personality, but IMO it is relatively insignificant on its face.

Missing Children

This is what it feels like to me today,
When a kid is taken away.
The stars don't twinkle as bright,
I have the jitters at night.
The sun is bright to some people,
But to me, that's just not equal.
The thought is always behind me,
I wonder, "Who could it be?"
Who in the world would have the heart,
To take a kid, they're the world's most special part.
The clouds are gloomy,
The air is fumey.
Most feel bad.
While others feel sad.
I know you're not to question the Lord,
But why, why .....why this?

10/22/94 St. Cloud Times
Author: an unnamed 10 year old girl from St. Martin, MN
Written after Jacob's abduction.
Framed, and hung on the girl's bedroom wall.

I recall him saying that he was running a lot that day...can one of you get the exact quote? I remember him saying that in an interview. He could have been elsewhere on the property and seen the flashlights approaching the house and went down to the area where the boys heard the rustling in the brush.

He said it was a splendid day for running. I'm not sure he's ever said he ran a lot that day. It's been written that he spent much of the day running, but that could just have been inferred by the author of the story.....

Someone said in a previous thread that there was an interview with DR where they discussed black pantyhose while walking through the DR home and he stated that his mother doesn't even own any and during the interview they passed hanging black pantyhose in a bathroom or something? Is this true? What interview is that?

I just feel that this was a crime of opportunity, when DR spotted the boys while he was near the road he had plenty of time to pull off his plan. Certainly if he was predisposed to this type of behavior, he would have already fantasized about this opportunity? Just speculation based on what I've read and the evidence so far.

And again, once Kevin's tire tracks were identified DR was officially named a person of interest. Why? The only other tire tracks in that driveway were his. I maintain that he drove his own car partially up the driveway and had it turned back around to face home. He dragged Jacob into the car and brought him back to the home or one of the outbuildings. This explains end of footprints and no other tire prints to a different suspect. When he said he was 'searching' his property he was dealing with Jacob one way or the other. Because it was a spur of the moment plan, he may have killed him right away due to cops being a the end of the driveway and fearing he would be found out.

Again, my opinion based on all that I read and the fact that someone who spied the boys at the store would have had to know where they were going and anticipated where to be to kidnap one. Also, a person in the store would have had much less time to change into dark clothing and put black pantyhose over their heads...A person in or near the store had 10 minutes or so. DR had from the time the boys passed his driveway on the way out until they came back. The boys said no car passed them.

I recall him saying that he was running a lot that day...can one of you get the exact quote? I remember him saying that in an interview. He could have been elsewhere on the property and seen the flashlights approaching the house and went down to the area where the boys heard the rustling in the brush.

Possibly a so-what, but I've never felt like the rustling in the brush was something I HAVE to fit in any scenario. It could have been anything, or nothing. The perp could have seen/heard the boys and their flashlights from any vantage before going to wait or coming upon them. Could have been at a window, close to Tom Thumb, anywhere on or near DR property, whatever. The rustling isn't a sure clue.

Possibly a so-what, but I've never felt like the rustling in the brush was something I HAVE to fit in any scenario. It could have been anything, or nothing. The perp could have seen/heard the boys and their flashlights from any vantage before going to wait or coming upon them. Could have been at a window, close to Tom Thumb, anywhere on or near DR property, whatever. The rustling isn't a sure clue.

It is part of my theory, I mean the fact that the boys had never done this before means it is a crime of opportunity. The fact that it was an unusually warm night would bring more people than usual outside. DR was an avid runner so not much of a stretch to say he was outside that night whether running or picking up his mail. It would explain the rustling at the side of the road. Plus, no cars passed the boys so it narrows down who could have seen them and returned to that exact location in time to put on pantyhose and be in position. Also, no unexplained tire marks.

It is part of my theory, I mean the fact that the boys had never done this before means it is a crime of opportunity. The fact that it was an unusually warm night would bring more people than usual outside. DR was an avid runner so not much of a stretch to say he was outside that night whether running or picking up his mail. It would explain the rustling at the side of the road. Plus, no cars passed the boys so it narrows down who could have seen them and returned to that exact location in time to put on pantyhose and be in position. Also, no unexplained tire marks.

Actually it's been reported that there were cars that passed them by on their way to the Tom Thumb. I've read that one of those cars was identified early on, and apparently the others were as well. Just assuming so since LE said all cars were accounted fit once Kevin came forward.

Actually it's been reported that there were cars that passed them by on their way to the Tom Thumb. I've read that one of those cars was identified early on, and apparently the others were as well. Just assuming so since LE said all cars were accounted fit once Kevin came forward.

I meant that no cars passed them on the way back. Other cars passing on the way there are already accounted for. A person saw the boys at the store and then drove to DR's driveway before they even left the store, that doesn't seem doable.

I think that idea is doable if you take into account that one of the boys was on a foot scooter and the two on the bikes were going slow enough so that they were all together. I am not sure that that is what happened though, but to me it is plausible.

I am sure someone here remembers more than I do, but I thought they were walking beside the scooter rider at this point. Whoever was laying in wait must have been ready to take the slowest boy.

Someone said in a previous thread that there was an interview with DR where they discussed black pantyhose while walking through the DR home and he stated that his mother doesn't even own any and during the interview they passed hanging black pantyhose in a bathroom or something? Is this true? What interview is that?

(snipped by me)

That interview was on a local TV news show; would have been either WCCO (Channel 4), KSTP (Channel 5), KMSP (Channel 9) or KARE (Channel 11) on their 10 pm news. It has never been online. I saw it though, as have others here. DR had stated previously that his mother never even owned black nylons (or pantyhose) and he was giving sort of a walking tour through their family home while talking. He stopped in what looked like a dining room (If I remember right, could have been a LR) and answered a few questions. Behind him there was a door open into a bathroom and hanging on the shower curtain rod in full sight was black nylons. I don't recall if they were old fashioned nylons or pantyhose, but you could see the feet and leg portion dangling over the rod drying.

I remember it well, because other family members watching exclaimed, "There are black nylons right behind him!" I was working full time in 1989 and several people at work discussed it the next day also. Of course, if he was not the abductor, it means nothing, black nylons were fairly common in the late 80's. But the odd thing was, why would he make a point of denying his mom even had them?

Exactly, SHERGAL why deny it? If he didn't know or notice what his mom wore , that's one thing. But he flat out denied it. So many little things like that point me to DR. It just all adds up to me. I would love to see that interview, does anyone here have it?

Also, I remember hearing about 2 buildings that evidence (umbrella stand, trunk with blood) was removed from had burned down...anybody have a link to that story? Cause of the fire?

Sounds unbelievable. Maybe I remembered wrong?

Exactly, SHERGAL why deny it? If he didn't know or notice what his mom wore , that's one thing. But he flat out denied it. So many little things like that point me to DR. It just all adds up to me. I would love to see that interview, does anyone here have it?

Also, I remember hearing about 2 buildings that evidence (umbrella stand, trunk with blood) was removed from had burned down...anybody have a link to that story? Cause of the fire?

Sounds unbelievable. Maybe I remembered wrong?

I doubt if anyone has that tape, it probably wasn't even saved at whichever station had it.

The buildings are two separate things, I believe. The building where the trunk and umbrella stand, folding chair, etc. were found was said to be a sort of vehicle storage building with a loft. Those things were taken from that loft. If you look at an overhead map of DR's farm, that would probably be the long building to the east of their home which looks as if it has tire tracks leading into it, or else the other long building that is parallel to 16th Ave. and can be seen from the road.

The two buildings that burned down were in the center of their yard, to the south of their home. DR has stated one was his dad's workshop, and had tools and wood projects his dad was working on and the other held some antiques. That's his word only, he stated it in one of his many interviews. According to DR it was an accidental fire. May have been electrical? Not sure. But neither of those buildings held the items taken by LE. (At least that is the impression I got, when listening to his interviews.)

The weather was unseasonably warm that day.

DR is not your average runner, He runs many many marathons a year.

That cannot be accomplished by running a mile or three .

I do not run, but I walk three times a day. And the last walk is sometimes at midnight, depending on my day and what happens during the day.

Once you are into exercise, the endorphins call

Put yourself in DRs house at the time of the abduction. What would you have done? Would you just go back to your house, do a quick search of the outbuildings and go to sleep? Is it logical to go under the police tape and enter the crime scene? Is it normal to just go about business as usual? I am genuinely curious. What would every one of you on this forum have done in this same situation?

I would have insisted the police check my outbuildings, the woods and all around the home. It is a big property, there could be clues. I would definitely have gone over to the family's home, if not that night then the next day. If there were ever a day to call out, that would be one of them. I would have continued to be there for the Wetterlings, handing out flyers and doing whatever I could. Yes, I know we are all different in this respect. But to offer absolutely NOTHING in response to a neighbor's child being abducted in your driveway? What would you guys do? Honestly?

Being a teacher and knowing teachers, I feel most of us would have been sick to our stomachs. When something happens to a child in my community, people rally round. They do incredible things and give of themselves, their time and their money.

There was such an outpouring of assistance, as you have read on here.

If it happened in my driveway and I cared about kids, as a teacher should, I would have done something, What? I am not sure. Food? Offers of snow shoveling? Yard clean up because it is fall. Grocery shopping?

Minnesotans are good to their neighbors.

As far as property, if there is an issue on my rural road, the neighbors are calling and telling one another of the issues. We are private, but if something happens such as a car in the ditch, my neighbors are there to help

Yes, it is possible. However, the boys were not walking, they were on bikes and a scooter. I don't think it would take long for them to pass the property on the way to the store. I would think by the time DR saw them (and realized who it was or what was happening at the end of his property) and got to the end of the driveway, the boys would have already gone by and they would not have heard or noticed anyone in the grass. That is what I meant by the timing not working for me. However, I've never been to the area so I can't judge the distance and how long it might take someone to run down the driveway or pass the property on bikes or a scooter, other than by the maps.

The footprints are still the best clue/piece of evidence, in my opinion. And I agree, it would be nice to know if they were able to find any other prints next to Jacob's.

You can hear a long way in the country with no buildings. But, he heard them on the way out and accosted them on the way back. Minimum of 1/2 hour, I would say .

As far as the prints, we really know nothing about the prints they have for Jacob or a suspect

Another thing re liking or caring about kids.

I cannot see that DR needs a lot of money. He lives with his parents. Even if he shares in the utilities, he does not have to buy dishes or furniture, etc.

He has so many additional jobs outside of his regular teaching job involving kids.

If you do not need the money that much, the only other reason would be that you enjoy children so much,

If that is the case, why the lack of concern of a missing child the age of students you teach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elle C