MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per 10 o'clock news KMIZ.com

Search is over for tonight.
They searched the grid twice including ponds and bodies of water in the search area and found nothing.
Search starts at 7:30 AM Friday

RAELON, what type of searches are they doing? Are there specific reasons for searching the bodies of water or are they being searched because they are within a certain distance or in the town where Elizabeth went missing?

Thanks.

MHP has been involved from the beginning. Helicopters, Flir, thermal imaging units brought in for the woods search. MHP will also have a copter in the air tomorrow. Today wasn't a good day for copters.

FBI also arrived this AM

I saw in an article where Sheriff Cole was mentioned. Is he the LE entity that is in charge of / leading the case?

The tower itself would likely be along the highway area or at most near the edge of the woods....in the middle of the woods is unlikely due to getting large vehicles into the area for either construction of the tower or for any type of maintenance needed. If they have actually identified the ping to be "in the middle of the woods" it would probably have to be triangulated to have been a certain distance from a tower or between two or more towers.

jmoo

Most newer phones have a setting where you can turn the GPS setting on for 9-1-1 calls only or all of the time. If this is turned on, they should be able to get within 150 - 300 yards of where the phone is. Just depends on who the carrier is.

Most newer phones have a setting where you can turn the GPS setting on for 9-1-1 calls only or all of the time. If this is turned on, they should be able to get within 150 - 300 yards of where the phone is. Just depends on who the carrier is.

IIRC, my Bberry had a disclaimer on set up if you didn't set the gps for full time. Hopefully her phone did and caught her parents attention.

I saw in an article where Sheriff Cole was mentioned. Is he the LE entity that is in charge of / leading the case?

I think the lead LE is Cole County Sheriff Greg White. He has been at the pressers.

Good to see you here Chaser.

Also, I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the ponds are being searched because they are in the vicinity of where she went missing.

If they can find her phone they may get close to where she is - she could have fallen down an old well or septic pit and be right under their noses. If she fell, the cell phone will be fairly close to where she is, unless someone moves it.

Salem

I think the lead LE is Cole County Sheriff Greg White. He has been at the pressers.

Good to see you here Chaser.

Also, I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the ponds are being searched because they are in the vicinity of where she went missing.

If they can find her phone they may get close to where she is - she could have fallen down an old well or septic pit and be right under their noses. If she fell, the cell phone will be fairly close to where she is, unless someone moves it.

Salem

Hey Salem!

Thanks for your help. Just wondering if there were trailing dogs that were used that went to that area. If they search those areas nearby and don't come up with anything, then she may have been taken away from the area. Therefore you'd want to get the exit trail that she took.

Hey Salem!

Thanks for your help. Just wondering if there were trailing dogs that were used that went to that area. If they search those areas nearby and don't come up with anything, then she may have been taken away from the area. Therefore you'd want to get the exit trail that she took.

Can I assume from your screen name you are experienced with search dogs? If so, what do you think about bringing cell phone trained scent dogs in? TIA.

I'm quite concerned and disturbed about this one.

Child's cell phone last know ping location near her home.
She was returning from a neighbors home a few houses away.

Hundreds of volunteers spent the entire day searching the area performing a grid search, as well as a helicopter in the air. The FBI, ATF and Water Patrol have all been called in, and they've been searching ponds and lakes by the home.

I think we've seen in the past how these cell phone pings work. They aren't 100% accurate, but they tend to be close.

What bothers me the most here is the fact that there is a major interstate less than 1/8 mile away from the home and 10's of thousands of strangers driving up and down that road each day.

I certainly hope I am wrong here, but once again the last known ping location was very close to her house (stated to be in a wooded area behind the home). If these pings are fairly close and within an 1/8 of a mile away from where they state they are, that doesn't mean the phone either wasn't dropped on the side of the road, or discarded just off of the roadway.
I hope I am wrong on this, but I have a bad feeling. Even thinking positive here, you have to look at the weather conditions with low 40's again tonight, and this will be the 2nd night. I would also think if the child and wandered away, she would have used her cell phone unless she was injured.

Pray for the best people.

I just want this child found. Im in KC and told my boyfriend I want to go find her.

It's daybreak. Time for the search to resume.

So far we've only heard from her aunt. Maybe with increased news we will hear more from the family and the friend Elizabeth was visiting.

morning everyone.

"While authorities continue the search for a missing St. Martins girl, the family of the 9-year-old is expressing its gratitude for the volunteers who have been searching for her. But they also expressed frustration, believing even more could be done."

Personally, I'd be LIVID with the pace of the search, no amber alert, and so on.

the quote is from this article.

I am saddened. This is a nine year old child and with each hour that passes the chances of finding her alive decrease. I am not understanding the lack of support for this family and the lack of action by Law Enforcement. Is there an underlying reason as to why Elizabeth's disappearance is being handled so differently than other missing children cases?

thank you Swanniee! And good morning everyone. I hope today is a good one for finding little Elizabeth.

ST. MARTINS -- UPDATE: Friday 8 a.m.
The highway patrol will be using a helicopter to search for Elizabeth Olten today.

Cole County Sheriff Greg White also told KRCG investigators have questioned registered sex offenders in the county and calls some of those interviews "very strong."

White says information from the public likely will help them solve the mystery of what happened to the little girl.

The sheriff says that no new volunteers are needed. Today the focus is on smaller, more specific areas. If you would like to help contact the Red Cross.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=366189

RAELON, what type of searches are they doing? Are there specific reasons for searching the bodies of water or are they being searched because they are within a certain distance or in the town where Elizabeth went missing?

Thanks.

Yes I think it is just searching any body of water in the area near where she went missing. The news had video of searchers using boats. I do not know about divers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper