Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I'll say that like everyone else, I have no idea if he is really guilty of anything. The statistics don't look good for him and the cops obviously consider him as at least one suspect in the crime, that much is clear.

That being said, it seems extremely presumptuous for folks to be saying what they would do in terms of memorial services if they were in Brad's position and they were actually innocent. I've never had my wife's partially clothed body found on the side of the road and had everyone assume that I had killed her. So, I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I would do.

My gut reaction is that whatever I did would not involve TV cameras. And as long as I had any control over what happened in my children's lives, their life would also not involve any TV cameras.

In fact, I'm sure that this is not a popular opinion here, but I found those news conferences that Nancy's family participated in after her body was found to be very strange and somewhat inappropriate. The Cary police chief called two news conferences where she said absolutely nothing, but then turned the floor over to the family to talk about Nancy and then to talk about her children. In what way is it the role of the police to call news conferences for this type of thing? Do they host press conferences for families of all victims of violent crimes?

Apologies, I did not mean to offend anyone.

First of all, I'll say that like everyone else, I have no idea if he is really guilty of anything. The statistics don't look good for him and the cops obviously consider him as at least one suspect in the crime, that much is clear.

That being said, it seems extremely presumptuous for folks to be saying what they would do in terms of memorial services if they were in Brad's position and they were actually innocent. I've never had my wife's partially clothed body found on the side of the road and had everyone assume that I had killed her. So, I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I would do.

My gut reaction is that whatever I did would not involve TV cameras. And as long as I had any control over what happened in my children's lives, their life would also not involve any TV cameras.

In fact, I'm sure that this is not a popular opinion here, but I found those news conferences that Nancy's family participated in after her body was found to be very strange and somewhat inappropriate. The Cary police chief called two news conferences where she said absolutely nothing, but then turned the floor over to the family to talk about Nancy and then to talk about her children. In what way is it the role of the police to call news conferences for this type of thing? Do they host press conferences for families of all victims of violent crimes?

I agree with you - I have zero idea what I would do either.

As to the last part, I recall Brad attended the 14 July 630 presser and was given the chance to speak - he had his say. I also recall Chief Bazemore saying that Brad had declined to attend certain conferences, so it seems to me LE opened the floor for all, some took it up, some did not. I believe you will find this to be common in missing persons cases, which is what this started out to be. The conferences with families pretty much stopped when Nancy's death was ruled a homicide.

Brad certainly has the right to grieve in any way he would like. The main thing that I was saying (which you did not include in the quote above) is that his actions contributed to the media controversy. He certainly had to respond to the affidavits. He just had poor timing. Of course everything that I have said is just my opinion.:)

My viewpoint it's not his fault about the timing. As you stated, he had to respond. Her parents didn't waste any time in getting custody of the children, they fired first. Oh, indeed about the media, sure everyone involved has done a substantial amount of filthy, mud-slinging, it's certainly not all his actions. Reminds me of Ramsey investigation in some ways.

I am on the fence, leaning towards Mr. Cooper's innocence. I'm really hoping this guy comes out clean, gets his kids, and CPD will catch the perp (s). I don't want this investigation to turn cold like the Michelle Young murder.

JMHO!!!

As to the last part, I recall Brad attended the 14 July 630 presser and was given the chance to speak - he had his say. I also recall Chief Bazemore saying that Brad had declined to attend certain conferences, so it seems to me LE opened the floor for all, some took it up, some did not. I believe you will find this to be common in missing persons cases, which is what this started out to be. The conferences with families pretty much stopped when Nancy's death was ruled a homicide.

Actually, that's not true. There were two news conferences after it was determined to be homicide. The first one, the police chief took no questions but said that she was yielding the floor to the family who would answer questions only about Nancy as a person (no questions about the crime, about Brad, about their marriage, etc). The second one, again, the police chief provided no info herself, but said that she was yielding the floor to the family where they would answer questions about the children only (again, no questions about the crime, Brad, marriage, etc).

So, again, I don't see how it is law enforcement's role to play press agents for the victim's family and it seemed very atypical to me.

I am on the fence, leaning towards Mr. Cooper's innocence. I'm really hoping this guy comes out clean, gets his kids, and CPD will catch the perp (s). I don't want this investigation to turn cold like the Michelle Young murder.

JMHO!!!

Hmmm........since you're leaning toward him being innocent........who do you think murdered Nancy Cooper and why?

Actually, that's not true. There were two news conferences after it was determined to be homicide. The first one, the police chief took no questions but said that she was yielding the floor to the family who would answer questions only about Nancy as a person (no questions about the crime, about Brad, about their marriage, etc). The second one, again, the police chief provided no info herself, but said that she was yielding the floor to the family where they would answer questions about the children only (again, no questions about the crime, Brad, marriage, etc).

So, again, I don't see how it is law enforcement's role to play press agents for the victim's family and it seemed very atypical to me.

I disagree, in cases where it starts as a missing persons case it is not atypical.

SleuthSayer,

I agree 100% with your post. I also think you have the best screen name EVER. :clap:

.So, again, I don't see how it is law enforcement's role to play press agents for the victim's family and it seemed very atypical to me.

I don't see it that way at all. Actually I see that move as very smart on the police chief's part........takes the questions off of her and puts the family in the spotlight, so to speak, and they know very little (which they're not going to discuss either).

I never said this!

Jilly, this is what I said last night in my post. Please lets get what I said correct if I am to be quoted.

Ohhh mom - sorry if I offended you - but this is the line that I took to mean he wasn't charged until the neighbor came forward -

The one thing I believe nailed him is he stated his ex had not come over to settle a dispute, a neighbor stepped forward to say the ex WAS there and they saw the car.

It could have been the case but we don't know. I realize you certainly didn't say that he wasn't charged until the neighbor came forward and I'm sorry for misinterpreting.:blowkiss:

IMO, he could have gone to the private service that was held without media. And with the he was going to have his own service, unless someone (or BC himself) knows and says he did have one, I'm not believing it.

With the family at the pcs I've wondered if having N's twin out there for the public to see might have been a partial motive? As in putting out what N looked like for those who didn't know her but maybe saw her jogging that am or something?

Regardless it doesn't seem unusual for families to be involved in pcs in cases like this (missing and/or murder cases). The main thing that hit me as unusual was the fact BC wasn't there for the one following the positive id.

IIRC, the case was ruled a homicide on the 15th and there were news conferences (at least) on the morning of the 16th, 17th, and 18th. I think the chief took questions on the 16th, but not on the 17th and 18th.

I found the news conferences on the 17th and 18th somewhat "off" -- because there was no news. Seems to me that the purpose of those two conferences was to pressure Brad to turn himself in. IIRC, the family said that the pain would not start to go away until the case was resolved. I think the family knew that the longer the case went unresolved, the greater the potential for Nancy's reputation to suffer. I think they were trying to protect their daughter.

Hi jilly......

I know you directed this question to fran and she will probably know the answer........interesting question and I may go do some "googling" while we wait for her answer.

I just wanted to add that they can analyze the insects on/within the body as well which would assist in determining how long NC's body had been at the location she was found and possibly TOD (since I think she was dumped very shortly after being killed).

One other thing.......even if the stomach contents and the insect info can be analyzed......I think the timeline is so "tight", if you will, that that information is not going to be anything "key" in this case.....unless, by some chance she was abducted by a stranger and possibly kept alive for a day or so.

Thanks so much for responding mahmoo!:)
Is this standard procedure with the insects? I've seen it on CSI but I've never followed a trial which involved analyzing insects.

Interesting about the "tight" timeline. Thanks again!:)

Ohhh mom - sorry if I offended you - but this is the line that I took to mean he wasn't charged until the neighbor came forward -

The one thing I believe nailed him is he stated his ex had not come over to settle a dispute, a neighbor stepped forward to say the ex WAS there and they saw the car.

It could have been the case but we don't know. I realize you certainly didn't say that he wasn't charged until the neighbor came forward and I'm sorry for misinterpreting.:blowkiss:

:whipper: for jlly......how could you misinterpret that way.....shame on you :whipper:

j/k...........forgive yourself for your indiscretion :)

RC,

I don't want to speak for SleuthSayer, but this is the part of the post that isn't true.

So you believe a presser on the 16th in which they said nothing should not have been allowed ? The one on the 17th - the press had questions of them - should that have been disallowed as well ? And the one on the 18th they expressed thanks, assured people the kids were okay, and announced memorial services and responded to questions should also have been disallowed ?

I see.

Thanks so much for responding mahmoo!:)
Is this standard procedure with the insects? I've seen it on CSI but I've never followed a trial which involved analyzing insects.

Interesting about the "tight" timeline. Thanks again!:)

This is soooooooooooo off topic but, I have NEVER seen one episode of CSI.............go figure..........me being the crime junkie I am......LOL.

I agree with you - I have zero idea what I would do either.

So you believe a presser on the 16th in which they said nothing should not have been allowed ? The one on the 17th - the press had questions of them - should that have been disallowed as well ? And the one on the 18th they expressed thanks, assured people the kids were okay, and announced memorial services and responded to questions should also have been disallowed ?

I see.

RC,

Go back and read the posts. Earlier, I snipped the single statement that I said I thought SS meant wasn't true. Here I brought the whole post but made the single statement red. I said NOTHING about whether I thought anything should be allowed or disallowed. :confused:

This is soooooooooooo off topic but, I have NEVER seen one episode of CSI.............go figure..........me being the crime junkie I am......LOL.

I haven't either Mahmoo. Although I do love a good documentary, I don't go in for crime dramas or crime novels.

RC,

Go back and read the posts. Earlier, I snipped the single statement that I said I thought SS meant wasn't true. Here I brought the whole post but made the single statement red. I said NOTHING about whether I thought anything should be allowed or disallowed. :confused:

And I'm asking questions - should they have not been allowed to sit through press conferences given by LE saying nothing, or answer questions from the press after LE was done, when everyone is siting in the same room, or provide public information regarding memorials ?

2 press conferences over 2 days - is pretty much stopped considering there were sometimes 3 in a day

I haven't either Mahmoo. Although I do love a good documentary, I don't go in for crime dramas or crime novels.

I've been watching the prison documentaries..........OMG.......there are some creepy freaky people in prison........99% of them look like they should NEVER be let out in public again.......ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member