Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted and murdered, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #4 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing anything at that link about him turning himself in as Hania's abductor and murderer.

What am I missing?

jmo

He turned himself in for the earlier incident. I don't think anyone said he turned himself in for Hania
From the link:
Fairmont Police Chief Jon Edwards said back on October 15, McLellan approached a woman wearing dark clothing with a mask on his face, pointed a gun at the woman and tried to take her car and asked her for money.

Edwards said McLellan left the scene without hurting the woman.

An investigation led authorities to McLellan, who turned himself into authorities back on Nov. 13.

McLellan remains in jail at the Robeson County Detention Center on $2.5 million bond.

From the link:
Fairmont Police Chief Jon Edwards said back on October 15, McLellan approached a woman wearing dark clothing with a mask on his face, pointed a gun at the woman and tried to take her car and asked her for money.

Edwards said McLellan left the scene without hurting the woman.

An investigation led authorities to McLellan, who turned himself into authorities back on Nov. 13.

McLellan remains in jail at the Robeson County Detention Center on $2.5 million bond.
So he didn't turn himself into authorities in Hania's case, but another one?

34-year-old man charged with kidnap, rape, murder of Hania Aguilar
Posted 3:37 a.m. today
Updated 9:22 a.m. today
By Gilbert Baez, WRAL reporter
Lumberton, N.C. — A 34-year-old man already in police custody was charged early Saturday with the kidnapping, rape and murder of Hania Aguilar, whose abduction from her Lumberton front yard and disappearance riveted the state for three weeks until her body was found in a nearby pond.

Lumberton police charged Michel Ray McLellan with 10 felonies:

• first-degree murder,
  • first-degree forcible rape and statutory rape of a person 15 or younger,
  • first-degree sex offense and statutory sex offense with a person 15 or younger,
  • first-degree kidnapping,
  • larceny,
  • restraint,
  • abduction of a child and
  • concealment of a death.
-----------------------------------------------------
Man charged with kidnapping, rape and murder of Lumberton teen, Hania Aguilar :: WRAL.com
--------------------

Yesssssssssssss!

I wasn't expecting this at all! Such good news. I had been somewhat depressed lately, thinking that this was going to go unsolved.

There is no joy in being correct.

I've been fairly quiet on this one but followed along every day. Everything I thought about this case has come true and it makes me feel ill.

He's bigger in the pictures than he looks in the video. Poor Hania didn't have a chance against him. That poor child.

The only happiness I take from this horrible crime is that LE has him and he will never be able to hurt a child again. Happiness isn't really what I feel. It's more like anger and then relief.

RIP Hania

So he didn't turn himself into authorities in Hania's case, but another one?
Yes!! He was already in jail. He turned himself in on Nov 13th. for the charges in another incident. I said I wonder why. Was he being threatened by someone who knew what he had done? I'm sure there is a back story with tons of details not released. I'm sure there are not many secrets in that town....

There is no joy in being correct.

I've been fairly quiet on this one but followed along every day. Everything I thought about this case has come true and it makes me feel ill.

He's bigger in the pictures than he looks in the video. Poor Hania didn't have a chance against him. That poor child.

The only happiness I take from this horrible crime is that LE has him and he will never be able to hurt a child again. Happiness isn't really what I feel. It's more like anger and then relief.

RIP Hania
And based on the other attack, he probably had a gun,!!!

From the looks of his NC Dept Public Safety record, he was on probation for the B&E conviction.
His probation has an end date of 03/03/2019, so his turning himself on any crime would, IMO, be moot. He's in a heap of trouble now.

I just hope the evidence collection and forensics of it will be beyond reproach, and will be strong enuff to lock him up for life or worse. Since the FBI Quantico personnel handled it, he won't see the sky and wide-open spaces ever again. SMH. It won't bring Hania back, but maybe it will slow down others who contemplate doing bad things in that area, at least for a while.

And one thing to remember about the First Degree Murder
Statute in NC -- There are only two sentences for 1st Murder -- 1)Death, or 2) Life Without Parole, and LWOP means LIFE, period.

Bravo to all LE and those who helped them in this case!!

Link was posted back on page 28 by sleuther OTPTarheel2018, reposting to quote:

MAN CHARGED WITH AGUILER’S RAPE MURDER | Robesonian

"... The Robesonian has been told that McLellan is the man depicted in a widely distributed surveillance video of a person walking..."

My question is how did they identify him? Those are the clothes he wore for the car theft/abduction and possibly also for the rape/murder. Do they have his clothes? Was it the cigarette butt he likely tossed in the gutter? Was it the cell phone he was using that pinged? Did someone finally call in that one tip?

Where do you see that?
I read one article - sorry no link - he'll be in court Monday, 12/10.

The defendant turned himself in for an unrelated crime after he allegedly attempted to kidnap and rob another woman. In this case, he was also described as wearing a scarf around his face. Link to his earlier crime was previously posted.

I believe it was FBI lab and/or DNA results that linked MRL to Hania. He never should have been free to commit crimes against Hania. MOO

Last edited:
Now that he is a suspect and charged, here are his facebook pages:

Michael Mclellan

Michael McLellan

Firstly, many prayers of thanks that this was finally arrested. Said arrest should bring a measure of comfort to Hania's Family and Friends.

Secondly - WHEW! Some of those FB posts are intense, but deserved.

RIP, Beautiful Hania! Justice be served!!!

brokenHeartedAngelOnGraveStone.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member