Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
link to story/video on Today show this am

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44524...olice-find-human-remains-susan-powell-search/

Today is coving the story again right now! I hope this find brings closure for Susan's family.

wm

[in text]
'On Aug. 23, a Washington state court commissioner ordered that Josh Powell and Chuck Cox stay 500 feet away from each other.

Josh Powell sought the restraining order, saying Cox had threatened him and stalked him and his sons. The most serious claim was that Cox showed up at a home-improvement store where Powell and the boys were attending a workshop last month and mouthed the words "You're dead" at Powell — something Cox adamantly denied.

"He knew we would be there," Powell told the commissioner. "He has been stalking us to come into the places we would be to inject himself into our lives." '

Is there anyone who could believe that Mr. Cox would say that?

[in text]
'On Aug. 23, a Washington state court commissioner ordered that Josh Powell and Chuck Cox stay 500 feet away from each other.

Josh Powell sought the restraining order, saying Cox had threatened him and stalked him and his sons. The most serious claim was that Cox showed up at a home-improvement store where Powell and the boys were attending a workshop last month and mouthed the words "You're dead" at Powell — something Cox adamantly denied.

"He knew we would be there," Powell told the commissioner. "He has been stalking us to come into the places we would be to inject himself into our lives." '

Is there anyone who could believe that Mr. Cox would say that?

NO! Not in a New York minute!!! Mr. Cox has been nothing but gracious toward his SIL during all of his interviews. He was even unflappable when the P men showed up to confront him at the grocery store parking lot that day a few weeks back. It was quite obvious who was stalking who, IMO.

wm

Topaz Mountain is less than 30 miles from Simpson Springs, the area Josh Powell told investigators he went camping that night with his sons.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ound-during-Susan-Cox-Powell-search.html?pg=2

I wonder if LE found something on the P's computer when they did that search warrant a few weeks ago? Just the fact that they were searching for Susan when this was discovered, has me thinking just possibly this is Susan. Either way a sad ending for someone's family.

Love it! Bring on the cameras, the trucks, the media. Pressure, pressure, pressure. Death penalty for AT LEAST one P. But I pray someone takes the children away from all of this...

It has been a long time since I followed this case, mostly before there was much mention of the father in law. Can someone clue me in on why the intense anger or why there is a thought he is so involved he smight be worthy of arrest let alone the DP?

If there is a skull, I think we will get a pretty quick unofficial ID from the teeth.

In college, I took an anthropology course that included examining a skeleton to determine things like gender, cause of death, etc. It takes a keen eye and a lot of patience, but it was very interesting.

Something the anthro and ME can determine almost immediately, if there are enough bones, is gender, and maybe race. I worked with an incomplete skeleton, so some things were harder to determine. Bone breaks are simple to determine if they're peri or post. Given that Susan carried two children to term, she may have some pelvic scarring that would be apparent.

Even with her dental records, which I am sure they have, before they will say "yes, this is her," they're going to request peer review. It is the responsible thing to do, and the smartest. This is a high profile case, and they don't want to announce they've found her when they haven't. DNA can be extracted from bones as well, and I'm sure that's part of their process.

It'll be interesting to see what the findings are.

Does anyone remember how long it took to tell the public it was little CAYLEE,
when her remains were found? We all knew it was her, but ME had to prove it.

Hi all..

Just wanted to type out my thoughts?

If there is a skull found, or perhaps a jawbone? I think the Me can identify quickly if its male or female..

my thinking is because, I remember when a jawbone was found in aruba? and a lot of people were curious as to if it could have been NH? I recall a me on tv, ( no link, just memory) saying that a womans jawbone had 1 bumps, or 2 nodes on the bottom where the chin is? and a male jawbone haveing 1 bump, or 1 node? or vice versa..?

anyhoo, If a jawbone is found, Im thinking me can tell from seeing how many bumps are on the jawbone? this would be the chin area of the jawbone if my old memory serves me well enuff?

anyone recall that besides me?

dont know what was found,,,just thinking if a jawbone was found, then maybe they can tell from the bumps..

going back in my corner now, because frankly, you guys ar emuch better sluthes than me..

Hi all..

Just wanted to type out my thoughts?

If there is a skull found, or perhaps a jawbone? I think the Me can identify quickly if its male or female..

my thinking is because, I remember when a jawbone was found in aruba? and a lot of people were curious as to if it could have been NH? I recall a me on tv, ( no link, just memory) saying that a womans jawbone had 1 bumps, or 2 nodes on the bottom where the chin is? and a male jawbone haveing 1 bump, or 1 node? or vice versa..?

anyhoo, If a jawbone is found, Im thinking me can tell from seeing how many bumps are on the jawbone? this would be the chin area of the jawbone if my old memory serves me well enuff?

anyone recall that besides me?

dont know what was found,,,just thinking if a jawbone was found, then maybe they can tell from the bumps..

going back in my corner now, because frankly, you guys ar emuch better sluthes than me..

Yes, a jawbone is generally an indicator of gender. Males and females have different angles, and it's pretty obvious. So is the forehead. Men have a more pronounced brow ridge.

Also, male bones tend to be bigger.

Yes, a jawbone is generally an indicator of gender. Males and females have different angles, and it's pretty obvious. So is the forehead. Men have a more pronounced brow ridge.

Also, male bones tend to be bigger.

thank you., I learn something new everyday..

Im on pins and needles wondering if this could be susan..

Praying for her family...

It has been a long time since I followed this case, mostly before there was much mention of the father in law. Can someone clue me in on why the intense anger or why there is a thought he is so involved he smight be worthy of arrest let alone the DP?

I think loathing is a better word; his inappropriate attention to his DIL doesn't endear him to anyone, especially her family. Somewhere is a link to his website, unless he closed it; google steve chantrey and see what you find. Lastly, he is icky. IMHO

OH, almost forgot the underwear thing; if my FIL had some of my undies in his possession, there would be a problem.

I thought they would know if this is a women or a man by now. Of course, if they have to escavate, that could delay things.

Can't they tell the sex by the shape of the skull or jaw? Something like that. Meaning, from what i recall you can tell immediately if it's male or female.

Hoping it's her so her family can have some closure and a case can be made against JP and maybe SP.

Hi SS! SP has slandered Susan by making claims of her being a sexual person. He also threatened to publish her diary entries from when she was a young girl as proof that she is/was a sexual person and a flirt. Susan's parents opposed and an order from a judge prevented the publication of her girlhood writings.

SP claimed that they flirted and she asked him to rub her thigh after she had her legs waxed. A witness alleged that SP had Susan's diaries and her religious undergarments and his *advertiser censored* locked in a bedroom cabinet.

After this the popo got a search warrant for SP's home, where JP and the boys, along with JP's brother and sister reside. Evidence was removed but I don't know what exactly except for JP and SP's computers.

SP is a perv, IMO. He was fixated on Susan and fantasized about her, again IMO.

This is not the behavior of a FIL who is worried about the safety and whereabouts of the mother of his grandchildren. I can't speak for others here, but that is why the man repulses me personally.:sick:

MOO

wm

I thought they would know if this is a women or a man by now. Of course, if they have to escavate, that could delay things.

Can't they tell the sex by the shape of the skull or jaw? Something like that. Meaning, from what i recall you can tell immediately if it's male or female.

Hoping it's her so her family can have some closure and a case can be made against JP and maybe SP.

Yeah, to someone who deals with it all the time, it may be obvious. However, they're not going to share until they know for sure, just in case. I imagine they also want JP to talk just a little more. Now they have a body, regardless of if it is her, they want to see his behavior.

Can someone please tell me if it's true that there were no cadaver dogs on the search in Ely? Has this been discussed already?

In college, I took an anthropology course that included examining a skeleton to determine things like gender, cause of death, etc. It takes a keen eye and a lot of patience, but it was very interesting.

Something the anthro and ME can determine almost immediately, if there are enough bones, is gender, and maybe race. I worked with an incomplete skeleton, so some things were harder to determine. Bone breaks are simple to determine if they're peri or post. Given that Susan carried two children to term, she may have some pelvic scarring that would be apparent.

Even with her dental records, which I am sure they have, before they will say "yes, this is her," they're going to request peer review. It is the responsible thing to do, and the smartest. This is a high profile case, and they don't want to announce they've found her when they haven't. DNA can be extracted from bones as well, and I'm sure that's part of their process.

It'll be interesting to see what the findings are.

i have searched for updates on this case almost daily since she was in the news as missing and i have to admit this investigative team has kept a lid on almost all information. and that's a good thing too.

i mostly want her sons to know that she didnt walk away from them.

Josh Powell, 35, released a statement after the discovery of the remains that read, "With very little information available to the public, we can only hope that additional information is released quickly to minimize heartache to those of us who love Susan. In the meantime, we continue to hope for Susan's safe return."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/susan-powell-mystery-father-worried-remains-daughter/story?id=14525301

That statement reeks of lawyer-speak. I doubt that Josh authored a word of it.

I think that tentative ID of the body will be made in the next few days. There may be jewelry or clothing which could be identified. Josh's fingerprints may be on something such as a tarp or plastic wrap.

Remember, we've only had DNA technology for the last 20 years or so. Skeletal remains have been identified many times before without it.

Wouldn't it be funny if he accidentally buried his gloves there?

Yeah, to someone who deals with it all the time, it may be obvious. However, they're not going to share until they know for sure, just in case. I imagine they also want JP to talk just a little more. Now they have a body, regardless of if it is her, they want to see his behavior.

You are correct in that they may not tell us what the sex is yet. Being this is a high profile case and the heat is on JP they may keep that to themselves.

I love your thoughts on getting JP's actions and behavior! Smart thinking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018